Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Report: What has the DERMAROLLER done for you.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
polkadot
5% products discount

Wed May 14, 2008 4:21 am      Reply with quote
I have been a long time lurker and love this site.
I want to know what the Dermaroller has done for everyones skin. I will report first.
I have been using the 2mm, but I use it diffently than most of you guys. I roll very intensly (like a doc would do) every 8 weeks. I was afraid to roll to often because I didn't want to damage new collagen, and with the 2mm thats what the doctor would do. I have rolled 2 times. With the last roll being about 5 weeks ago.
Report:
I am delighted, I have had a lot of acne in my day and had bad skin, not horrible but bad. Large pores, and lots of small scars and a few larger scars. My skin looks so much better now, like close to normal. In every lighting it looks better. (If you have ever had bad skin you know all about the lighting)
My scars are better and my pores are better.I believe after a few more rolls my skin will be great. I can't tell you how great it is to look in the mirror and not cringe.
I did do some subcisions on a few of my larger scars. That is where a needle goes under the skin to break up the scar tissue. That worked great for me. With in 2 months time they filled in greatly.
I just wanted to share my experience. I am 42 and for the first time in my life I am more self confident and honestly look good.
Very Happy
Face4ward
5% products discount

Wed May 14, 2008 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
Do you think it's possible to get similar results from 1.5mm? Did you bleed? Did you use numbing cream? Do you roll your neck in the area of your esophagus, and do you roll directly on your nose?

I'm just starting, so no results to report, but I agree with your theory about spacing the rolling to eight weeks apart. Thanks for starting this thread.
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 15, 2008 2:18 am      Reply with quote
I have been rolling for almost 4 months using the 1.5mm. I have been treating my face/hands/chest.

I rolled every 2 days to start with, but never intensely as I only use ice. I now roll weekly.

The most noticable improvement has been in my pigmentation issues. My face is almost even now ( I had melasma and sundamage). My hands were hidiously sun damaged. My hands are amazing. They are now white. Chest has shown the least improvement...not sure why???

I am still seeking to improve skin density and ageing issues...so I will push on.

cheers

rebecca

5% products discount

Thu May 15, 2008 2:24 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I think it's possible to get good results with the 1.5.
Also I do bleed, but it stops when I stop rolling. The first time I rolled I did bruise slightly in some areas and had a little oozing. I stayed REALLY red for 2-3 days. Then I was able to wear make-up. (I work from home so I can stay in) The second time I rolled I only got red like a bad sunburn. I was looking better in a couple of days, with the help of make-up.
I don't use numbing cream, I use ice. Icing is painful in itself. I freeze butter tubs, they are about 5 inches in diameter, so it covers a large area. I numb up an area, then I roll,roll,roll. It takes determination.
I think the next time I roll I will do the forehead one day and the lower face the next.
I have only rolled my face and not my neck. I really wanted to concentrate on my face. When I get it where I want it to be then I will move on to my neck and my stretch marks etc... Wink
I do roll the nose the same as I roll my face. Its tough but worth it. Since I am only rolling every 2 months, I know when I do a good roll then I am done for a good while.
Good luck to you. I wish the best for you. I don't know if you have scars or not, but if you do, I know the emotional pain they cause.
BumbleB
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
So does anyone have any experience with the .3 or .5? I am too scared to try the longer ones!

I've got lots of ugly pigmentation on my chin, and the beginnings of lines so I need all the help I can get!
JenJ
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 16, 2008 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so glad this thread started!

I've noticed my sun spot on my lower left jaw is so much lighter and I expect after another couple of rolls and healing time, it be gone.

Also my skin is thickening up and I alternate using my .5mm, 1.0mm, 1.5mm rollers.

I've only been rolling about 2 months.

Jen
gumgirl
5% products discount

Fri May 16, 2008 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
Polkadot,

Would you mind sharing your rolling technique? I would like to be fairly aggressive with my first treatment.

Due to the nature of my work, I must hold off until I have a block of time off to do the first treatment. Once I see how my skin reacts I can gauge future treatments.

BTW, I have snowqueen67 to thank for finding this forum.

Christine (from the old YTF forum)
girlywhirly

Fri May 16, 2008 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
polkadot -

I'm impressed-- kudos on your progress!
I'm curious -- what actives/acids/serums/etc, if any, did you use in addition to rolling?

thx
girlywhirly

eta: nod to the old YTF forum
polkadot
5% products discount

Sat May 17, 2008 4:16 am      Reply with quote
My rolling technique- I numb up an area with ice as long as I can stand it, I want it good and numb so I can really roll. I roll a little quickly so the numbing doesn't wear off. I go up and down, side to side and diagonally. I try to do 20 rolls in each direction( up 1, down2 etc...)I roll a little more on the places that need it, nasal folds, scars and the 11's between the eyes. Basically I just try to put as many hole's in my face that I can stand. Wink
I don't use any actives, I have retin A but I stay pink when I use it. I just roll and then I am very gentle with my skin.
I do take lots of vitamins. A multi,1000 mg's C 3x's a day, Vit e, Hyaluronic acid 100mg 2x's a day, msm, cod liver oil,Alpha lipoic acid and a few more. I do think the Vitamin C and the Hyaluronic acid are important.
I think I probably wouldn't have gotten scaring in the first place if my diet had been better. When I was young I had a horrible diet and rarely ate anything with vitamin C. As you all know Vit C is so important for collagen. When the acne damaged my skin I didn't have any vitamin c in my system to re-build my collagen. This just my theory. Very Happy
For the first time in my life I haven't been using anything on my face at night. I use a frownie between my eyes, but that's it.
Hope that answered your questions.
I really hope others post their success stories!!!
gumgirl
5% products discount

Sat May 17, 2008 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the input. The soonest I can do my first "treatment" will be June 9/10...this will give me 5 days before I return to work.

I am a firefighter in a fairly large municipal department. After every fire, smoke "oozes" from my pores for a least one or two showers. I've had people comment at the gym when I get sweaty. Last summer I worked at an extremely busy firehouse, this summer I'm at a slower one so the odds of catching a fire are significantly reduced.

Do you think 5 days is enough healing time? In July I have a 9 day block of time off, so perhaps I should wait. My skin seems to bounce back quickly. I use Retin-A 2X a week, and sometime 3 in the warmer weather when the humidity is higher and dryness is no longer an issue.

I will gladly report my progress down the road. For some reason wrinkles aren't too much of an issue (I'm almost 48.) Probably, because I've been faithful with the sunscreen to keep the pigment issues to a minimum. I get blotchy just looking out a window (sigh.)

My issues are hypo/hyperpigmented areas along with 2 small dot sized scars from the overly aggressive lasering of two small benign growths (not sebaceous cysts but similar looking.) The two I had surgically removed left totally invisible scars, grrrrrhhhh!

Sorry for the long-winded post Very Happy
polkadot
5% products discount

Sun May 18, 2008 4:43 am      Reply with quote
Gumgirl,
I do think 5 days is enough time to recover. If anything you maybe slightly pink, but not too bad. Good luck to you, and thanks for being a Firewoman!!!
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have been rolling for 4 months, in the beginning with the 1mm, then moving up to the 1.5mm. Although I did it twice a week for the first month or so, now I do it only once a week. Quite honestly, I have not seen any particular improvements in my skin. Sad Tonight after rolling, I thought about the possibility that if I hadn't been rolling all this time, maybe my skin would look worse...so maybe it is at least, maintaining me. Think ((I am aware, that at age 55, having just started menopause in the last few months, I am on a slippery slope.)) I would be willing to go to a Doc and get the my face rolled with the big guns, but I don't know of anyone in the States doing it. Has anyone heard of someone?

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I would be willing to go to a Doc and get the my face rolled with the big guns, but I don't know of anyone in the States doing it. Has anyone heard of someone?

I posted a Miami doctor on the other dermarolling thread...but he charges $2500 to $3000 per treatment. Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I have been rolling for 4 months, in the beginning with the 1mm, then moving up to the 1.5mm. Although I did it twice a week for the first month or so, now I do it only once a week. Quite honestly, I have not seen any particular improvements in my skin. Sad Tonight after rolling, I thought about the possibility that if I hadn't been rolling all this time, maybe my skin would look worse...so maybe it is at least, maintaining me. Think ((I am aware, that at age 55, having just started menopause in the last few months, I am on a slippery slope.)) I would be willing to go to a Doc and get the my face rolled with the big guns, but I don't know of anyone in the States doing it. Has anyone heard of someone?

Hey Mountaingirl - Sorry to hear that improvements are not as forthcoming with your current rolling regime. The good news is that it can take upwards of a year for your skin to completley re-model from a series of treatments, so it's quite possible that the best results are yet to come! Wink

Regarding professional treatments, I noticed that Spa Nordstrom offers a Leaf & Rusher Dermaroller Facial. Which isn't the same as a medical/clinical dermaroller treatment, but might interest those who would like an introduction to rolling with a less intimidating model (I'm sure the roller used in this facial is one of the smallest sizes L&R has).
Quote:
Derma Roller Facial (60 minutes)
This one-of-a-kind facial, created by Dr. Leaf of Beverly Hills, targets multiple angles for dramatic results that go beyond simple resurfacing to the repair and ultimately, the restoration of the skin. It helps collagen surge to the skin's surface-a first in beauty. The Derma Roller amplifies the benefits of vitamin penetration and hydration by 4000%. Nearly 200 stainless steel micro-points create painless microscopic channels in the outer layer of the skin, allowing active vitamins, enzymes, lipids and DNA contained in Leaf and Rusher products to penetrate deeply into the skin. A take-home Derma Roller is included with the treatment.

about.nordstrom.com/services/spa/services/facial-treatments.asp

For those living in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, here is a wellness centre that offers professional treatments (don't know how qualified of the person doing the rolling is, or how long they've offered this service). They insist you buy a package of 4 sessions, which sounds like a bit of a cash grab to me, as you really don't know what kind of results you've achieved until x-number of months down the road. No public mention of package prices either, so a quick call is necessary to find out.www.aywellness.com/dermaroller.html
Quote:
All treatments are sold in a package of 4

Dermaroller for Face, Neck, & Chest
The Dermaroller is effective for various skin problems from acne scars to wrinkles, to upper lip lines, to sagging skin, to color and texture issues. The Dermaroller is also effective for large pores and re-balancing oily and dry skin. *This treatment MUST be bought in a package of 4 to see the full results.

Dermaroller for Stretch Mark Reduction -The Dermaroller will help flatten and reduce the appearance of Stretch Marks. *The package price for this treatment is a little different. The price includes 4 Dermaroller treatments, 2 abdomen peel, and 1 stretch mark skin care kit.

There was another clinic I stumbled across a while back, but I can't find the info now or remember where it was located. I'll post it if I source it again. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 21, 2008 7:14 am      Reply with quote
I have used the 1.5 roller 5 times. I haven't noticed any difference yet but I'm hopeful. I must say it hurts though. I'm thinking like mountain girl, if I don't see improvement maybe I'll just maintain. That would be okay. Do you think that the 1.5 would work on the spider vein on my legs? I have a bunch of little one on the tops of my outer thighs. Will it reach deep enough to do anything?
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 22, 2008 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Found the link! Here is another place that offers professional CIT treatments; they're located in Boston.
www.bostoncentreaestheticmedicine.com/collageninduction.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 22, 2008 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
thanks ScotsLass...WOW! Did you see those before and after photo's?? It's those old smokers lines around my upper lip that I want to target, so those photo's were really impressive!! I wonder how many treatments they had to achieve those results.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 22, 2008 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
I've roller about 5 times thus far with 1.5mm needles and I've noticed:
1. Spider vein on my chin is fading (less noticeable),
2. Puppet lines are softening and are not as deep as they used to be,
3. Pores are getting smaller and skin in that area is smoothing out.

These results have occurred in the past 6 weeks and I'm hoping that they will continue to improve over time. All in all, rolling has given me visible improvements. But I have to say, the actives I apply subsequent to rolling (CP, Vit C, ABH serum and JB Alphaderma CE) have also played a part.
Face4ward
5% products discount

Thu May 22, 2008 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
Mountaingirl...just curious, are you on blood pressure medication by any chance? Lisinopril keeps the heart muscle from forming collagen. Makes me wonder how the drug differentiates between heart collagen (which is apparently a bad thing to have), and the kind of collagen we're trying to create with percutaneous CIT.

mountaingirl wrote:
I have been rolling for 4 months, in the beginning with the 1mm, then moving up to the 1.5mm. Although I did it twice a week for the first month or so, now I do it only once a week. Quite honestly, I have not seen any particular improvements in my skin. Sad Tonight after rolling, I thought about the possibility that if I hadn't been rolling all this time, maybe my skin would look worse...so maybe it is at least, maintaining me. Think ((I am aware, that at age 55, having just started menopause in the last few months, I am on a slippery slope.))
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 2:51 am      Reply with quote
No, not on any blood pressure medicine. I don't take any medicine at all. But the latest development since this thread began, I noticed a pink/red spot, about an inch below my eye. I guess it is a broken blood vessel. I haven't had one of those in about 20 years. The whole time I've been rolling, I wondered if it might cause one of those, and **POOF** Sad there one is! Has anyone else had that happen?

ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 3:59 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
thanks ScotsLass...WOW! Did you see those before and after photo's?? It's those old smokers lines around my upper lip that I want to target, so those photo's were really impressive!! I wonder how many treatments they had to achieve those results.

You're welcome, MG! The results in the photo's are amazing, aren't they! I'd love to know how many medical rolls were needed, too. I did read a while ago about this very treatment (for upper lip lines), and that it took 1 or 2 CIT treatments for dramatic results. Of course the clients might have had collagen injections or fat fillers to augment the medical CIT treatments, but the article didn't say. This is partially what Keliu did to treat her upper lip area. She had injections done and then did the rolling herself at home. Pop over to the Dermaroller thread for more info. She said that she obtained EXCELLENT results with her injection/rolling regime.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Ive been rolling with the smallest needles (.5 or .05??) from Leaf and Rusher for a couple of months (about 2 to 4 times a week).

I havent really noticed any difference - i know its probably because Im not using the longer needles...

Quick question though - I dont get this...
I usually use the roller with Retin A micro and the only thing I notice is in the morning my skin is flakey - so the next night I will roll with a collagen cream and immediately after rolling - my skin is bright red and even burns slightly. Even in the morning - my skin is a little sensitive when I wash it wiht a regular cleanser...
HOW CAN COLLAGEN BE MORE IRRATATING THAN RETIN A???

Do you think collagen is better to roll with since Im getting a reaction - or is that a bad thing??

THANKS!!!
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 9:27 am      Reply with quote
PS

I just read the other thread and realized there is a .25 - maybe I have that one...

Does anyone know how to find out what the length is. I dont remember seeing anything on the label on the product.

thanks again...
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 9:47 am      Reply with quote
mb935 wrote:

Do you think collagen is better to roll with since Im getting a reaction - or is that a bad thing??

THANKS!!!

I'm not sure that such a reaction with collagen cream is a good thing...maybe use that on non-rolling days?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 23, 2008 10:17 am      Reply with quote
mb935 wrote:
Ive been rolling with the smallest needles (.5 or .05??) from Leaf and Rusher for a couple of months (about 2 to 4 times a week).

I havent really noticed any difference - i know its probably because Im not using the longer needles...

Quick question though - I dont get this...
I usually use the roller with Retin A micro and the only thing I notice is in the morning my skin is flakey - so the next night I will roll with a collagen cream and immediately after rolling - my skin is bright red and even burns slightly. Even in the morning - my skin is a little sensitive when I wash it wiht a regular cleanser...

THANKS!!!

Can you let us know what the ingredients are in the Collagen Cream (and who makes it)? There might be some kind of AHA in the cream, and this can cause redness and a burning sensation when it penetrates the epidermis or deeper. What happens when you apply the collagen cream alone without any rolling? Any reactions at all (tingling, etc)?

Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |