Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anti-Aging LightStim
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
DebbyM46227 wrote:
I've used it twice now over the weekend, and I am glad I received the older model. Mine feels comfortably warm against my face unlike some of the posts I read where the newer model that was sold on QVC got too hot. I think I'm going to like this thing! Smile

If you are interested in the background, on page 92 of this thread Steve from LightStim addresses why he thinks some are finding the QVC model hotter.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
cupcakez
5% products discount

Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
Seriously thinking about purchasing this for product penetration. Does anyone know if this can be used in conjunction with the 302 Line? remember reading somewhere that certain topicals can interfere and block the LEDs effectiveness. Ingredients for the products listed below.

302 Serum:
certified organic, aqueous extracts of salvia sclarea (clary sage), rosemarinus officinalis (rosemary), citrus nobilis/lavandula intermedia (mandarin lavender), lippia citriodora (lemon verbena); avocado glycerides and triglycerides, phyto-squalane from olives, kosher glycerine from corn, avocatin 302, cellulose polymer from pine trees, skin substantive alkyl sugars from sugar beets, biomass derived emulsifiers, lavender oil, tangerine oil, peppermint oil, chelating agent (EDTA), methylisothiazolinone

C-Boost:
avocado extract, phyto-squalane from olives, vitamin C lipid, lavender oil, camphor, tangerine oil

THANK you in advance to anyone who can help me =)
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Cupcakez AFAIK the LightStim is not for product penetration, are you getting mixed up with the 0.5mm dermaroller? The recommendation seems to be to use the LightStim with green tea extract or other non-irritant antioxidants, to speed results and / or prevent the lights causing free radical damage.

There are a few essential oils/ potent extracts in your products, I would not combine those with any gadget or technique that can cause even slight irritation or increase penetration. I don't pretend to be an expert on plant extracts or the LightStim so if someone more experienced thinks otherwise ignore me!! Laughing

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
cupcakez
5% products discount

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox: Thank you for your insight. I know the lightstim has many other benefits and can be used on it's own but for some reason I thought it could also be used in conjunction with topicals to increase their effects. I guess I will just use it on bare skin then, thanks again Smile

Btw... I had never heard of the LED light potentially causing free radical damage, has this been proven?
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
cupcakez wrote:
Firefox: Thank you for your insight. I know the lightstim has many other benefits and can be used on it's own but for some reason I thought it could also be used in conjunction with topicals to increase their effects. I guess I will just use it on bare skin then, thanks again Smile

Btw... I had never heard of the LED light potentially causing free radical damage, has this been proven?

I think it's more than certain topicals may increase the effects of the LED device than the other way around.

Yes I believe there is research: trying to think what I am confident of off the top of my head!! I don't keep references to most things I read, and my brain is full of SAD candyfloss at present. The LightStim and other similar gadgets have been cleared by the FDA as safe. Don't know the ins and outs of this process, but evidence/ research of safety/ efficacy must be presented.

How blue light kills acne bacteria, via porphyrins and free radicals. There are far clearer explanations online attached to commercial sites, this is to demonstrate the theory has legitimacy!
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1121517-overview#aw2aab6b3

Blue light affecting skin fibroblasts
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21421326

Infrared light damage but IIRC substantially higher doses than in LEDs, ??sun levels??
http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v128/n10/full/jid2008116a.html

Green tea and red light, IIRC this is the only study to date showing synergy.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19817517

Links to positive studies via the LightStim website
http://lightstim.com/led-therapy-references.html

grhawk
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Ok I am confused. Which one do i want? The lightstim for wrinkles i can get for $259. + $6.96 shipping at the shopping channel. They will even let you divide it into 4 payments of $64.75. The lightstim Anti Aging light is $279 with free shipping at the Skinstore.com. It looks like Hautelook has a special on Monday but i don't know what that will be yet. Is one better than the other? I just want one to use on myself for wrinkle reduction. Thanks for your help.
grhawk
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
grhawk wrote:
Ok I am confused. Which one do i want? The lightstim for wrinkles i can get for $259. + $6.96 shipping at the shopping channel. They will even let you divide it into 4 payments of $64.75. The lightstim Anti Aging light is $279 with free shipping at the Skinstore.com. It looks like Hautelook has a special on Monday but i don't know what that will be yet. Is one better than the other? I just want one to use on myself for wrinkle reduction. Thanks for your help.

Edit. I live in the US so the shopping channel is out since they don't ship to the US. I still would like to know which model all of you prefer? Thanks!
stardustgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Tech-wise they are the same. The only difference is in the housing/handle. You'll get the exact benefit from either one.

I got mine from Skinstore on sale for 244.30, so their current price isn't their best one. I also clicked through ebates and got another 19-something back, so it was around $225 total.

Hautelook is probably going to have the best price. The last time they had them they were a bit under $200 if I remember correctly, and it's the AALS version. I think they are final-sale though, so the option to try it for 90 days would be the trade-off for the cost difference.
grhawk
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
stardustgirl wrote:
Tech-wise they are the same. The only difference is in the housing/handle. You'll get the exact benefit from either one.

I got mine from Skinstore on sale for 244.30, so their current price isn't their best one. I also clicked through ebates and got another 19-something back, so it was around $225 total.

Hautelook is probably going to have the best price. The last time they had them they were a bit under $200 if I remember correctly, and it's the AALS version. I think they are final-sale though, so the option to try it for 90 days would be the trade-off for the cost difference.

Thanks for replying. I am not worried about the 90 day return. I already own the baby quasar so I am sure that either of these are better than the BQ.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Wow super price on a new Lightstim...189.00!!!!
Any of the units!
http://www.hautelook.com/event/13445

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Wow super price on a new Lightstim...189.00!!!!
Any of the units!
http://www.hautelook.com/event/13445

I ordered the anti aging light this morning. It was $189 +$4.95 delivery charge unless you live in CA or NY and then tax is added. It was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up.
ilookcool

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Can you do chemical peels while using LightStim? Thanks. I mean light ones, like 40% lactic acid.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
ilookcool wrote:
Can you do chemical peels while using LightStim? Thanks. I mean light ones, like 40% lactic acid.

IIRC Kassy actually recommends keeping your skin exfoliated, I assume to help the light pass into the deeper layers of skin. Probably wise not to use the product on recently peeled, sensitised or irritated areas until you see how your skin responds to the LightStim tho. Hopefully someone more experienced will confirm.

skinsmything
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, RED LED is fabulous for use after any procedure that creates redness or inflammation in the skin...helps to bring that down.
sowmya_jairam

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I'm a newbie, both to the forum and to LED tools in skincare. I came across both when I saw the deal others have mentioned on hautelook, and I'm interested in purchasing the AALS. I've read through a lot of the pages on this thread, but I still have some questions with regards to my skincare. I'm 26 and a very low maintenance person--I've never used any makeup and I'm not planning to start now. I had problem-free skin until a couple years back when I started getting acne. Though it wasn't extreme, I still got treated with tretinoin 0.05% (which I've been using every night for the past few months without moisturizer) and I've recently started a topical antibiotic course (Clindamycin) for the mornings. With the topical antibiotic, I don't use a moisturizer with the topical antibiotic (which I used to apply before starting the antibiotic) and I use sunscreen during the summer and sunny days of winter. I've also started using an under-the-eye moisturizer and a Korres vitamin-C serum applied after for the under-eye area after cleansing and toning. My skin's now cleared up and is looking pretty good, but I do have faint lines in the under-eye area and some faint dark spots. I'd like to try the AALS, but don't want to be too dependent on it, as in if I stop using it for a time and it worsens the situation. Does it cause dependency? I know a lot of people here have been using the device for a really long time, do you feel any side-effects of these lights on the skin or your body? Is it harmful in any way at all? Does it also work for hyperpigmentation---2-3 years back I randomly started getting PIH marks over my legs and back, and while it's now in recession and supposedly will fade away with time according to my dermatologist, I still want them to go away now Sad I know retin-A should not be used before AALS, but can it be used after? How long should I wait before applying the retin-A after AALS? Is it even worth it to continue using retin-A when it's supposed to be applied on clean, dry skin and the AALS is supposed to be used with some kind of serum? Also, what kind of serum should be used with the AALS, and should it be used before , during or after the treatment? Hautelook also has a deal on the Lightstim plum peptide serum; does that work well with AALS? Can i get away with doing the treatment just in the PM and continue my current routine in the AM? I've read in the thread that exfoliation is good with LED, is the retin-A enough for exfoliation or should I use something else to exfoliate? I don't want to use too many new things at once, or even too many things on my face in general. At the same time, I also want to make sure I'm taking care of my skin. I know a lot of these questions have already been answered, but I just came across the deal in hautelook and it ends in less than a day; and I would like to purchase it now since it seems to be the best deal for AALS. Thanks in advance,

Sowmya.
ilookcool

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Thank you both, Firefox and skinsmything!
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:33 am      Reply with quote
skinsmything wrote:
Actually, RED LED is fabulous for use after any procedure that creates redness or inflammation in the skin...helps to bring that down.

I am likely over-cautious because my skin is so temperamental, but the possibility of being light sensitive (according to instruction booklet) did strike a chord. I know the ALLS is supposed to aid healing but it just doesn't seem wise for a newbie to challenge their skin until they have seen how they respond to LED therapy. Does that make sense? Longer term I certainly hope to use mine after dermarolling and light peels.

skinsmything
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
Absolutely, you should always go slow with anything you do and certainly never combine any kind of treatment until you know how your skin reacts. Generally speaking, LED is great for bringing down redness, irritation in the skin.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:20 am      Reply with quote
skinsmything wrote:
Absolutely, you should always go slow with anything you do and certainly never combine any kind of treatment until you know how your skin reacts. Generally speaking, LED is great for bringing down redness, irritation in the skin.

Soooo .... I am working on some hyperpigmentation so yesterday afternoon I did a light lactic acid peel (~40%) leaving my forehead stingy, sore, blotchy pink and hot for the rest of the day. A couple of hours later I used the LightStim, then applied aloe mixed with rosehip seed oil which is my usual aftercare. Cue lots of stinging, probably due to reactivation of LA in my skin.

Before bed I applied unrefined shea butter because it is anhydrous and even this stung! After eight hours sleep there is the most incredible improvement! No soreness, a few small 'spots' that could easily be covered by concealer. Not sure if it was the LightStim or the shea or combination, because I haven't thought to use the shea after a peel before. Rolling Eyes I would note unrefined shea butter worked wonders on my eczema - FAR better than a strong prescription corticosteroid cream - which is why I am reluctant to credit the LightStim.

So not exactly a scientific test, but I may repeat with just shea butter OR just LightStim at some point and report again ...

Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
skinsmything wrote:

Soooo .... I am working on some hyperpigmentation so yesterday afternoon I did a light lactic acid peel (~40%) leaving my forehead stingy, sore, blotchy pink and hot for the rest of the day. A couple of hours later I used the LightStim, then applied aloe mixed with rosehip seed oil which is my usual aftercare. Cue lots of stinging, probably due to reactivation of LA in my skin.

Before bed I applied unrefined shea butter because it is anhydrous and even this stung! After eight hours sleep there is the most incredible improvement! No soreness, a few small 'spots' that could easily be covered by concealer. Not sure if it was the LightStim or the shea or combination, because I haven't thought to use the shea after a peel before. Rolling Eyes I would note unrefined shea butter worked wonders on my eczema - FAR better than a strong prescription corticosteroid cream - which is why I am reluctant to credit the LightStim.

So not exactly a scientific test, but I may repeat with just shea butter OR just LightStim at some point and report again ...

Love reading happy endings even if it is skincare.

How long did you leave the LA on and did you use baking soda mixed with water afterwards? I am going to do a 40% peel this weekend and will be using the shea butter for sure after reading your post.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:14 am      Reply with quote
I have been using 40% lactic acid for 8 years and have never heard of it reactivating. It is deactivated by water so once you wash it off it should be done.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:47 am      Reply with quote
grhawk wrote:
I have been using 40% lactic acid for 8 years and have never heard of it reactivating. It is deactivated by water so once you wash it off it should be done.

Tap water has a neutral pH or can be mildly alkaline - it will not neutralise all peels, percentage and layers are key. Lactic acid is not simply washed off, some molecules enters the corneocytes in the stratus corneum where it acts as a humectant as well as an acidifier, hence LA's hydrating properties.

"The depot effect may turn up unexpectedly under rather surprising circumstances. For example, the application of 10% lactic acid to the nasalar cheek for 10 min, followed by rinsing, is often used to identify persons with ‘sensitive skin’, who typically experience stinging, peaking in about 8 min, as originally described by Frosch and Kligman in 1977 [54]. The site was rinsed with tap water at the end of the test to remove the residue. We studied many factors that influence the stinging reaction but did not anticipate one feature that was brought to our attention by some subjects, namely that taking a shower hours after the application of 10% lactic acid resulted in recall of stinging to the original level.

"We examined the recall phenomenon more closely in five women who were moderate lactic acid ‘stingers’. Recall was provoked at various intervals by covering the site with a 2″ square of non-woven cloth (Webril) saturated with water, sealed under impermeable tape for 10 min, thoroughly wetting the site. After an 1-h interval, wet Webril fully restored stinging to the original degree. After 3 h, the stinging was slightly less. By 6 h, stinging was barely perceptible in three of five subjects and was no longer evident by 24 h. In another study of the same five subjects, the lactic acid site was not rinsed off after the 10-min application. In that case, moderate stinging was recalled in four of the five subjects after a 48-h interval but was no longer perceptible after 72 h. Our interpretation is that lactic acid established a depot in the horny layer of the face, known to be more permeable than other body areas. Wetting the site swelled the horny layer releasing the stored lactic acid.
"

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-2494.2011.00644.x/full

Frodo: I never use baking soda, my sensitive skin hates alkalinity. My forehead had perhaps three layers, around seven minutes in total: other areas are far more sensitive so have much less. I have had to work up to this over a period of time. Rather than layering, sometimes I simply apply a wet washcloth to reactivate the LA already present. Please let us know how you get on with the shea butter.

grhawk
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
grhawk wrote:

Tap water has a neutral pH or can be mildly alkaline - it will not neutralise all peels, percentage and layers are key. Lactic acid is not simply washed off, some molecules enters the corneocytes in the stratus corneum where it acts as a humectant as well as an acidifier, hence LA's hydrating properties.

"The depot effect may turn up unexpectedly under rather surprising circumstances. For example, the application of 10% lactic acid to the nasalar cheek for 10 min, followed by rinsing, is often used to identify persons with ‘sensitive skin’, who typically experience stinging, peaking in about 8 min, as originally described by Frosch and Kligman in 1977 [54]. The site was rinsed with tap water at the end of the test to remove the residue. We studied many factors that influence the stinging reaction but did not anticipate one feature that was brought to our attention by some subjects, namely that taking a shower hours after the application of 10% lactic acid resulted in recall of stinging to the original level.

"We examined the recall phenomenon more closely in five women who were moderate lactic acid ‘stingers’. Recall was provoked at various intervals by covering the site with a 2″ square of non-woven cloth (Webril) saturated with water, sealed under impermeable tape for 10 min, thoroughly wetting the site. After an 1-h interval, wet Webril fully restored stinging to the original degree. After 3 h, the stinging was slightly less. By 6 h, stinging was barely perceptible in three of five subjects and was no longer evident by 24 h. In another study of the same five subjects, the lactic acid site was not rinsed off after the 10-min application. In that case, moderate stinging was recalled in four of the five subjects after a 48-h interval but was no longer perceptible after 72 h. Our interpretation is that lactic acid established a depot in the horny layer of the face, known to be more permeable than other body areas. Wetting the site swelled the horny layer releasing the stored lactic acid.
"

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-2494.2011.00644.x/full

Frodo: I never use baking soda, my sensitive skin hates alkalinity. My forehead had perhaps three layers, around seven minutes in total: other areas are far more sensitive so have much less. I have had to work up to this over a period of time. Rather than layering, sometimes I simply apply a wet washcloth to reactivate the LA already present. Please let us know how you get on with the shea butter.

Thanks that's good to know. When my lightstim gets here i will have to be careful.
miracleskin29
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:01 am      Reply with quote
Is the lightstim for wrinkles as good as the anti-aging lightstim? Does it have the infared lights as well?

Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
miracleskin29 wrote:
Is the lightstim for wrinkles as good as the anti-aging lightstim? Does it have the infared lights as well?

Thanks!

Answers to both questions on the LightStim website! http://www.lightstim.com/lightstim-for-wrinkles.html

System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |