Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Seborrheic Keratosis - at Home Treatment (Cure)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Background
Most of Caucasian people are effected by Seborrheic Keratosis sooner or later, women and men alike. The degree of impact vary. It seems does not impact people with darker skin colors with exception of African Americans.

I had spots of Seborrheic Keratosis and went to Kaiser Permanente dermatologist. The derm looked me into eyes and said: "It is yours for life..." I found her being mean, not knowledgeable, and:
1) Got determined to find effective Seborrheic Keratosis cure that I can easily do at home myself
2) Dump Kaiser Permanente insurance.

I have been doing research on Seborrheic Keratosis treatments, and all the advice was very discouraging: do not treat at all, liquid nitrogen at doctor's office, mechanical removal by scraping off at doctor's office, laser. All actual treatments are in doctors office and can leave scarring, do not offer prevention.

In the past I used brief acids application to Seborrheic Keratosis spots with some success, but it was taking time, and I was not getting dramatic results. This time I decided to use really high glycolic acid concentration and do not wash it off, but rather leave it on the skin to do its work.

Treatment
Day 1, Day 2
Prepared 30-35% glycolic acid solution
Poured it into a sprayer bottle
Sprayed acid solution on my back
Did not wipe, it did sting quite a bit, but I was able to tolerate it. Went to bed without rinsing off the solution

Day 3, Day 4
(I think it might be optional)
Sprayed Greater Celandine (Chelidonium majus, aka. 'Tetterwort') extract
Did not wipe. Went to bed without rinsing off the solution

Touchups and Maintenance
If some stubborn spots are staying there, spot / touch up application is needed. Maintenance treatments are possible on as needed basis.

Outcome
Skin got reddish-pink, Seborrheic Keratosis sports were destroyed. Crust appeared on same of the sports, and some spots were disappearing unveiling skin. Seborrheic Keratosis was killed!!!

Now skin is still healing, but I can see that I was able to achieve my goal, e.g. at home Seborrheic Keratosis treatment. Just in case to prevent any possible discoloration of the skin I am applying Reviva Lightening cream on the entire surface area.

Recommendations
Be careful, do patch test before proceeding with the treatment. Start with lower concentrations to see if it will be sufficient. I used spray to deliver the treatment solution, and think it provides less solution then when applied directly.
Based on the Seborrheic Keratosis sports location it might be preferable to perform treatments in winter when you are wearing more cloths. So that people around do not see the irritated skin.

Alternative Treatment
After I done my own treatment regimen I found info on similar approach with high concentrations of H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) supported by clinical studies. The recommended concentration between 23% - 80%. And in the majority of cases 35% food grade H2O2 could be used.

For preventive maintenance they recommend taking periodically baths with H2O2 added.

When I need a treatment next time I am thinking of trying H2O2, and looking into having baths with it for maintenance.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:56 am      Reply with quote
hi mpstat
I am not really familar with what this really is. Can you explain and maybe give symptoms?

Thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
Seborrheic Keratosis spots look similar to moles, but they are not moles. Usually they appear on back, and also can be found on stomach, face and scalp. When they appear first they are light brown in color, and might get darker over time. Also they have tendency to spread over time. Most people develop them eventually. http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/56237

Internet is full of severe cases of Seborrheic Keratosis. My case was rather mild with spots looking more like sun damage freckles, light tan in color. They appeared flat, but when touched I could feel that they were slightly raised. After looking on Internet pictures, I was terrified, realizing how unsightly they can be. And there literally millions and millions of people impacted. I was motivated enough to try something drastic, and it worked!!!

I got those spots originally when I came to US and went to a beach. Sun in US is sooo much stronger then in the country I came from, I got these spots right away. Needless to say I have been avoiding sun as much as possile ever since. Although in the articles it is stated that sun exposure can not be the reason for them to appear, but I firmly believe that sun exposure was a trigger. I got them in my twenties….
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Very interesting...I'm glad you were successful!

I have some on my upper arms and thighs from growing up in Florida, and going to try my Retin-A and dermaroller combo...if that doesn't work, I will give this a shot.

Thanks for sharing. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany - please keep notes on your progress with rolling & Retin-A for SK treatment purpose.

I think that glycolic, and H2O2 treatments are somewhere in line with liquid nitrogen treatment. But they are so much milder, and if the concentrations are right healthy skin is not damaged, while SK is being destroyed.

Also it should be possible to combine spot treating of old and hard SK with higher concentrations, while applying lower concentrations to large areas.
JamesK

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi mpstat,

This is great information, but I'm just wondering where you got your information on the hydrogen peroxide / acid treatment of SK?

It doesn't seem to be an accepted form of treatment by dermatologists. The two that I have seen about my SK want to laser it off, but both are also highly skeptical about what the results will be like. It also sounds fairly invasive - it essentially involves completely destroying the area into a scab, and hoping that when it heals the SK will be gone.

So I've been searching for alternatives and I stumbled onto the hydrogen peroxide treatment by discovering a patent online that someone has taken out for the peroxide treatment, which also lead me to this site. But other then this patent, I can't find any published information and it makes me wonder why.
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi JamesK! Very Happy

I found H2O2 info on FreePAtentsOnline web site. Here is a link http://www.freepatentsonline.com/US7381427.html Acid treatment procedure as described above I did myself after seeing horror pictures, I was so scared that decided to do something really drastic, and it worked!

Looking at the H2O2 patent dates, it was published just a couple months ago 06/03/2008, but was filed on 10/09/2003. In the article they state that they have a clinic, but I do not remember if they provided a contact info. If the contact info is available, it should be possible to contact their Phoenix AZ clinic.

It is beyond my comprehension why derms make people suffer when there are simple and effective methods available that patients can do themselves! hmm Those laser treatments or even worse scraping off treatments sound terrible, especially if large areas are impacted!!!

I was well into my acid treatment when I found their article, so I could not do the entire treatment with H2O2. At the same time I had a couple of tiny spots left that needed touch ups. So I did touch ups with H2O2 (35% food grade hydrogen peroxide). The result was about the same as with acids, so I verified that H2O2 method works.

Once I spot treated with H2O2 the area got frosted (turned white), and stayed this way for several minutes. Then it turned pink. After a while scabs appeared on Seborrheic Keratosis only. This is absolutely awesome, in both cases H2O2 and acids treatments only Seborrheic Keratosis is being burned, without negative side effects on healthy skin!

I have fair skin, and as I expected there is some after-treatment discoloration. So starting early with Reviva skin lightener was wise. I am mixing hydroquinone from alldaychemist into Reviva to speed it up. It might take some time to get even skin tone, but I am getting there. And really happy with the results!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
JamesK wrote:
It doesn't seem to be an accepted form of treatment by dermatologists.

James, one thing we have determined here on EDS is that dermatologists don't support anything cheap or easy. Laughing

Speaking of cheap and easy, I wonder if garlic would work on these as well? Here is the thread where they talked about using it to remove moles:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30122&highlight=garlic+moles

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
mpstat wrote:
BackgroundThe derm looked me into eyes and said: "It is yours for life..."

Bleah, what a physician!

I'd research some competent doctors who specialize in radiosurgery for removal of seborrheic keratosis, skin tags, moles, etc. My father had it done and his skin looked fine afterward.

St. Mellion Clinic Radio Surgery Cases

Eye Care Clinic that Uses Radiosurgery for SK

I inherited my "moley" tendency from both parents (thanks, mom and dad!) so am keeping a close eye on the skin suit for any changes--and any sign of SK in particular.
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
caboodle - radiosurgery sounds interesting. Right now I have clear skin, but it is pictures like that on the web sites got me scared. With so many people impacted we should be able to figure out good solutions.
JamesK

Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi mpstat,

That is the same patent that I found! Although it's not the easiest thing in the world to read Confused

I even tracked down the person responsible for the patent. She has a bio on the "PCA Skin" company's website (can't post the link because I'm new). But there is nothing about SK on that site, unfortunately.

I also just acquired (after some difficulty I might add!) some 35% H202 so I guess there is nothing stopping me from proceeding. My situation is extra complicated though, because my SK is on my cheek, and it doesn't really look like an SK. It is about the size of a quarter and is a flat reddish-brown blotchy spot. It was literally years of frustration in getting it diagnosed, and it was only a shave biopsy result that indicated SK. It's not that glaringly obvious if you aren't looking for it, but it bothers me obviously! And I hate to mess with it, as I really feel self conscious when it turns bright red.

One thing that still isn't clear to me is how exactly to apply the H202. Do you just dab it with a cotton swab or something? How often did you repeat it?
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hey James! Very Happy

I see why you need to be more precise then me, since SK is located on your face. I did it a simple way, just applied 35% H2O2 with a cotton swab to touch-up spots, that's it. I did not do any extra steps like using neutralizer or air dryer.

Since the touch up spots were small one time H2O2 application was enough for me. Prior to touch ups I did only one four day treatment (2 days acid + 2 days Greater Celandine extract) as described in the beginning of this thread. It was sufficient to get rid of all spots I had, but I had a mild case, meaning there were multiple spots, but not old. Just because there were many of them, a large area treatment was a better solution then treating them one by one.

I agree it is difficult to get to the point info from this abstract, the info is buried deep inside. I looked at the patent again, and here is info that might be helpful to you in performing the procedure, presented in a more humane way to read Wink

The procedure they describe in the abstract boils down to the following:

Treatment
• Cleanse
• Apply neutralizer composition to the skin surrounding SK (you can get it from some Internet sites or maybe health food store. Here is a link to Callbone Neutralizer page http://cellbone.com/Neturalizer.htm ). DO NOT apply neutralizer to SK itself.
I did not do it since for me it was not crucial, the treated areas were on my back that I covered with clothing. But for you this step might be important to protect healthy skin around SK from H2O2.
• Apply H2O2 with a brush or a cotton swab to SK - I think small brush is preferred, you can be more precise with the brush.
• Dry with heated forced air drier (SK will bubble)
• Apply H2O2 for the second time if necessary

Post-Treatment
• Apply pHaze ReBalance cream eight hours post treatment
• Re-apply cream after SK detaches

Repeat Teratements
• Repeat treatments with one week intervals if needed

They describe Case #2 that might be similar to yours James:
Case History Number 2
A thirty-eight year old single mother of two presented with an unsightly grayish-pink, verrucous seborrheic keratosis covering her right cheek. She was extremely self-conscious of the lesion and kept her long hair over the seborrheic keratosis to conceal it. The lesion was of several years duration.... The dermatologists she consulted recommended either surgical or laser removal but could not guarantee scar-free results. The seborrheic keratosis was treated with a 35 percent plus hydrogen peroxide seborrheic keratosis composition of the present invention and allowed to react completely. Four days post treatment, the subject awoke to find the seborrheic keratosis lying on her pillow. She placed the seborrheic keratosis in a ZIP-LOCK® plastic bag and delivered it to the PCA Skin Center® where it was sent off for histologic examination. The subject was overjoyed with the result of her treatment that left no sign of the seborrheic keratosis. The subject is still keratosis free three years post treatment.

Bath Prevention Treatments
The following seborrheic keratosis prevention treatment should be adjusted depending on individual skin sensitivity and propensity for seborrheic keratosis proliferation:
a. fill a bath tub with moderately warm water;
b. add the container of the 35 percent hydrogen peroxide solution to the bath water;
c. soak in the tub with the seborrheic keratosis prevention solution for at least fifteen minutes;
d. repeat the treatment at weekly intervals;

Possible Discoloration
Be aware that old SK scabs once detached might need time to heal, and result in slight dark skin discoloration. In this case you can apply some bleaching agent to ensure even tone, this is what I do and I can see that the skin tone gets even. Now the upper part of my back looks great, I can wear bare shoulders dresses, but I still need to keep applying bleaching creams in the lower back area. I think in a couple of weeks or so I will be done with getting even skin tone.
There is nothing to be overly concerned about, it might not happen at all, but if it happens, it is fixable.

Hope this helps!
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
James, is it this web site that you found where one of the patent authors work?
http://www.pcaskin.com/about_ancira.aspx
JamesK

Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, that is the site. And thank you so much for your help! I'm going to start treating it soon, as soon I get some neutralizer.
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
You are welcome James! Glad I could help!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
monalisasmiler
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi James it sounds yours is the same as mine, on cheek about size of 10p, could you let me know how you get on and where you got your H202 from.

Thanks in advance
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
monalisasmiler - check out this web sites for H2O2 http://www.dfwx.com/goewebsite.htm
It is good for large quantities. I got my H2O2 from it for maintenance baths. For smaller amounts your health food store should carry it.
This site also carries it http://www.pureh2o2forhealth.com
Gayle
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:07 am      Reply with quote
I know that I've posted here before on this subject. I have these and they seem to get more and more proliferous. Nasty looking things. I do think they may be somewhat hereditary, as my Dad had loads of them on his back, as did my Mom.

However.....I did get rid of several a couple of years ago, using Lugol's Iodine on them. I got the idea on an Iodine forum online. It DID work, just dabbing it on with a q-tip 2x a day. Took 2-3 weeks. I have B/A pics I took of these somewhere

Recently I've been looking for more to order online, and guess what? It has been found people are using it to manufacture drugs with so now it's hard to find it in more than a very small bottle anywhere. And way more expensive. I finally found some plain Tincture of Iodine, like people used to use on cuts, etc., and ordered that, but it does not work like Lugol's.

I have dozens of these on my back, and ANY treatment I did would be hard to get to them! Crying or Very sad

Your idea sounds like something I might try.
monalisasmiler
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Thanks mpstat I will give it a go, bit worried about making a mess when on side of face though, will try health shop first.

Thanks
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Gayle - this is the impression I got too that when left untreated SK grows and spreads more and more.... They might be hereditary, also some ethnic groups have it and some do not.

Another concern with leaving SK untreated for a long time that the spots can get thicker, and thus take longer time to treat. There are descriptions of raised SK (2 mm thick). I think that raised SK spots are older ones.

If you have a bunch of those on the back and treating each spot individually might not be a viable option, then spraying might work better. If you concerned that it would sting on such a large area, try a weaker solution first, and you can do a spot test to determine the right treatment solution concentration.
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:43 am      Reply with quote
monalisasmiler wrote:
Thanks mpstat I will give it a go, bit worried about making a mess when on side of face though, will try health shop first.

Thanks

monalisasmiler - As I suggested above, you can try diluted weaker solution first, see if it works, and then make it stronger if needed. Update us on your progress. Good luck!!! Smile
monalisasmiler
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:56 am      Reply with quote
mpstat wrote:
monalisasmiler wrote:

Thanks

monalisasmiler - As I suggested above, you can try diluted weaker solution first, see if it works, and then make it stronger if needed. Update us on your progress. Good luck!!! Smile

Thanks mpstat went into shop today and got my MSM and lecithin and asked for H20, wrong thing should be h202..... she didn't know what I was on about and I wasn't sure

Is this the one you meant off the Garden of eden website

1/2 QUART G.O.E 35% Food Grade h2o2- 1 pint bottle: $12.34 (+S&H $7.63)
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:06 am      Reply with quote
monalisasmiler - H2O2 is hydrogen peroxide. When you go to a store you need to ask for 35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide. It looks like you got the right thing from Garden of Eden. A little pricey, but for a spot on a cheek it should be more then enough.

I received my 3 gallon (12 one quart bottles) shipment of hydrogen peroxide for maintenance bath treatments several days ago!!! Dancing
monalisasmiler
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:07 am      Reply with quote
mpstat wrote:
monalisasmiler - H2O2 is hydrogen peroxide. When you go to a store you need to ask for 35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide. It looks like you got the right thing from Garden of Eden. A little pricey, but for a spot on a cheek it should be more then enough.

I received my 3 gallon (12 one quart bottles) shipment of hydrogen peroxide for maintenance bath treatments several days ago!!! Dancing

Thanks mpstat now I know what I am asking for will try the shop Embarassed
Sheidinice
5% products discount

Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:20 pm      Reply with quote

Treatment
Day 1, Day 2
Prepared 30-35% glycolic acid solution

Hi there
Can I please ask how to make/prepare the above or do you buy it? Do I ask for 30-35% glycolic acid solution?

Regards
Sheidinice
New to the forum and from New Zealand Smile
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |