Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Seborrheic Keratosis - at Home Treatment (Cure)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Planti

Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
Disseminated Superficial Actinic Porokeratosis DSAP

It is inherited in a dominant fashion, so either mom or dad was spotted, unless they were seriously sun avoidant.

I have tried laser, Glycolic at 30%, Tazorac (a retinoid), azelaic acid 20%, salacylic acid 4% and have met people who have tried nitrogen freezing and IPL. I also inadvertently hit one on my chest with IPL, and it got darker so I used some lightening creams and my usual sun avoidance. Mostly nothing changes it, but laser (that was a woman who worked at the place I get my IPL, not sure of wavelength) and IPL made it more obvious for quite some time. Glycolic made it red and faded within weeks.

I have never tried Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) but expect it would not work, and likely would not cause much difference unless the skin barrier had been disrupted with lots of solvent first. And the problem is genetic and starts at the level of the basement membrane of the epithelial cells so the regrown skin will look the same. I am watching the genetic forums but it is not exactly deadly so not getting much research money.

Just don't want undiagnosed DSAP sufferers to knock themselves out with stuff that won't work. It is much more prevalent than the websites that indicate it is 'rare'. I spot it everywhere I go in the summer in my mainly white skinned community.

The other problem is that even with no more exposure to sun the skin gets thinner and more uneven with respect to pigmentation. My forearm skin, at 54, looks like a 90 year old's, mottled, shiny unpigmented and variously pigmented spots, crepe paper wrinkling. And it is so fragile that a simple scratch from the dog produces blood blisters. I stopped sunning at about 40. Take lots of Vitamin D.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
Planti wrote:
Disseminated Superficial Actinic Porokeratosis DSAP

It is inherited in a dominant fashion, so either mom or dad was spotted, unless they were seriously sun avoidant.

I have tried laser, Glycolic at 30%, Tazorac (a retinoid), azelaic acid 20%, salacylic acid 4% and have met people who have tried nitrogen freezing and IPL. I also inadvertently hit one on my chest with IPL, and it got darker so I used some lightening creams and my usual sun avoidance. Mostly nothing changes it, but laser (that was a woman who worked at the place I get my IPL, not sure of wavelength) and IPL made it more obvious for quite some time. Glycolic made it red and faded within weeks.

I have never tried Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) but expect it would not work, and likely would not cause much difference unless the skin barrier had been disrupted with lots of solvent first. And the problem is genetic and starts at the level of the basement membrane of the epithelial cells so the regrown skin will look the same. I am watching the genetic forums but it is not exactly deadly so not getting much research money.

Just don't want undiagnosed DSAP sufferers to knock themselves out with stuff that won't work. It is much more prevalent than the websites that indicate it is 'rare'. I spot it everywhere I go in the summer in my mainly white skinned community.

The other problem is that even with no more exposure to sun the skin gets thinner and more uneven with respect to pigmentation. My forearm skin, at 54, looks like a 90 year old's, mottled, shiny unpigmented and variously pigmented spots, crepe paper wrinkling. And it is so fragile that a simple scratch from the dog produces blood blisters. I stopped sunning at about 40. Take lots of Vitamin D.

This answers my question re one small round red spot that appeared on my shin about a yr. ago. My father, who spent his later yrs sitting in the sun, had many on his arms and legs.

I found this site re DSAP treatment. Any thoughts re the suggestions?

http://www.doctorv.ca/conditions/skin-cancer/dsap.html
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
I took a good look at my arms and legs, and have a ton of SK spots from growing up here in FL. Rolling Eyes

I ordered my 35% HP, and am going to try either spraying or wiping the areas...we'll see how it works for me!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

Surferguy - your idea of working with the H202 in a test tube was genius!! Great idea...

As for me, the SK on my face it totally gone. Now just waiting for the redness in the underlying area to subside. Very happy though...

Just wanted to report that glycolic acid also seems to work on freckles! I had one small, light surface freckle under my lower lip (not really noticeable, but it made a great test "subject"...)

I painted on a very light layer of the 26% glycolic acid on the spot. (Just one layer - and let it dry and left it alone.) I pretty much forgot that I did that - and didn't do anything further. A few days later - the freckle just sloughed off with some dry skin. (I'm doing the Obagi Nu Derm system right now too - so peeling skin is par for the course.) No red spot - no healing time. Just the freckle is gone.

The only problem now is I seem to be spending a lot of time looking in my little teeny hand mirror trying to find more little spots that I can test on! Laughing
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Surferguy - your idea of working with the H202 in a test tube was genius!! Great idea...

As for me, the SK on my face it totally gone. Now just waiting for the redness in the underlying area to subside. Very happy though...

Just wanted to report that glycolic acid also seems to work on freckles! I had one small, light surface freckle under my lower lip (not really noticeable, but it made a great test "subject"...)

I painted on a very light layer of the 26% glycolic acid on the spot. (Just one layer - and let it dry and left it alone.) I pretty much forgot that I did that - and didn't do anything further. A few days later - the freckle just sloughed off with some dry skin. (I'm doing the Obagi Nu Derm system right now too - so peeling skin is par for the course.) No red spot - no healing time. Just the freckle is gone.

The only problem now is I seem to be spending a lot of time looking in my little teeny hand mirror trying to find more little spots that I can test on! Laughing

taobunny, do you put the nu derm products on your face after your apply the GA, or do you skip your products for that day?
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
taobunny wrote:
Hi Everyone,

taobunny, do you put the nu derm products on your face after your apply the GA, or do you skip your products for that day?

Rileygirl, I just follow the Nu Derm protocol as usual after the GA - it seemed to work fine - and even seemed to speed the cell turnover and healing. Just my experience though... It might be different for others... Very Happy
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much, taobunny. I think I will try the GA on 1 dark freckle that I have!
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Thanks so much, taobunny. I think I will try the GA on 1 dark freckle that I have!

Hi Rileygirl - Sounds like a plan. Just be careful (you may want to read the long-ish post I wrote before in this thread) and maybe do a test spot on an out of the way place (leg, foot?) to see how your skin reacts? Hope it works for you - I'll be anxious to hear how about your results!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, taobunny! I have a question. You got the 70% GA, but toned it down to 26% for your face, is that right? So, would there be a difference if I just got a lesser strength GA to start with so I would not have to tone it down? Hope that makes sense!
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Thanks, taobunny! I have a question. You got the 70% GA, but toned it down to 26% for your face, is that right? So, would there be a difference if I just got a lesser strength GA to start with so I would not have to tone it down? Hope that makes sense!

Hi Rileygirl,

Nope - not that I can see, anyway... It's just percentages. I know that Cellbone offers glycolic in 70%, 60% and 50%... (So, if you know what percentage you think you might want to end up with - then you can buy based on that...) The lesser percentages are actually a bit cheaper too - which is good.

Not knowing what I was really doing when I purchased it - I did the 70%. But, when the bottle came, it's *really* big for what I need it for. (4 oz.) Since I've only used a total of ten drops (and some of that was just mixed and then tossed...) those four ounces will probably last me a couple hundred years!!

One thing to note, though - is that I'm pretty sure you're going to want to get the *unbuffered* GA. If it's a buffered solution - it's not going to have the same strong effect as the unbuffered.

Oh, and another. I ended up with about 26% for the SKs - but I think 21% or even less might be a good place to start with for the freckles. And, try only one layer at first. You can always go back a couple days later and try again - but if you go too deep - it's not good. I think the reason why I was so successful with the one freckle is that I did a light layer - and left it alone. Then the skin just peeled off with no trauma. (And, combining it with Nu Derm Exfoderm really seems to help.) But, definitely try it on a freckle that isn't on your face. (Experimenting is good - but experimenting on a place that's not quite as important is better... Very Happy)
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Thanks taobunny for your answer. I think I will wait until I hit week 12 on Nu Derm and see how the freckle is looking at that time. But, I would like to try the GA on my body areas. I'll keep you posted whenever I do it!
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Thanks taobunny for your answer. I think I will wait until I hit week 12 on Nu Derm and see how the freckle is looking at that time. But, I would like to try the GA on my body areas. I'll keep you posted whenever I do it!

Hi Rileygirl - sounds like a good plan. I definitely think the Exfoderm is really great at helping the process. (And, being on Nu Derm altogether, I think is a good thing, as the skin is already stimulated... (And PEELING! LOL))

Can't wait to hear how things work out for you... (I'm so jealous that you're already almost to week 12...) Very Happy
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, no, don't be jealous, taobunny! I am on my 8th week of Nu Derm, so, I have a little more to wait! Very Happy
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Reading about how the glycolic acid is working on freckles got me thinking about trying the TCA I have in the cupboard on a freckle on my hand. I gave it 3 coats of 20%, that's when it frosted. It's a very dark brown now. Hoping it will just peel off soon. Will let you know how it goes.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:
Reading about how the glycolic acid is working on freckles got me thinking about trying the TCA I have in the cupboard on a freckle on my hand. I gave it 3 coats of 20%, that's when it frosted. It's a very dark brown now. Hoping it will just peel off soon. Will let you know how it goes.

I can't wait to hear your results, Mishey! I have always wanted to try the TCA, but I am too chicken for that. I can do the LA, GA, etc. but something about the TCA scares me.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I took a good look at my arms and legs, and have a ton of SK spots from growing up here in FL. Rolling Eyes

I ordered my 35% HP, and am going to try either spraying or wiping the areas...we'll see how it works for me!

It's heeeere!!! I know what I'm going to be doing all weekend, lol. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck Bethany! Be ready for a strong burning sensation!!! (after your dermarolling blood bath you can handle anything)
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
mpstat wrote:
Good luck Bethany! Be ready for a strong burning sensation!!! (after your dermarolling blood bath you can handle anything)

OMG...you were NOT kidding! Shock Shock Shock

I went into the bathroom, put on a rubber glove, wet a cotton round and proceeded to wipe down the back of my leg in a cavalier manner. AND THEN THE BURNING BEGAN. AND IT CONTINUED. AND I SWORE REPEATEDLY AT MPSTAT. Then I calmed down a little and switched to a Qtip and dotted the spots on my other leg and both thighs.

By this point, my first leg was an opaque white color. But interestingly, the SK didn't fizzle at all..it was like the stuff just rolled off them and onto the surrounding skin which began turning a red color. I finally jumped in the shower and washed my legs off. And the hot water was a bad, bad, choice. Embarassed

I am now dry, and am surveying the damage. The brown spots look EXACTLY the same (zero frosting), but there is a red ring around each one now. But the back of my leg that I wiped in full already looks wrinkly, like the whole thing will eventually peel. Confused

I think I'll wait to see what happens before I proceed any further.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany - that is strange that your SK did not frost... Confused If in the worst case your leg peels look at a brighter side - legs rejuvenation!!! Wink
If handling large areas is too much, work on treating SK individually. It might take longer, but might be more manageable from burning stand point.

When I covered large area with GA it burned A LOT. I imagined myself being a warrior captured by enemies, and determined to bear all and get through....
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
Next time I might have to resort to a glass of wine beforehand. Most people have a glass of wine wth dinner....I only drink when I am torturing myself! Rolling Eyes

The good news is the red irritation is fading, except for the lower part of my leg that I wiped directly..it is still red and hot. But I'm not particularly worried about it. The rash I still from the darn Nia24 is far more bothersome! Mad

I'll keep you posted on what happens over the next couple of days. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Mishey wrote:

I can't wait to hear your results, Mishey! I have always wanted to try the TCA, but I am too chicken for that. I can do the LA, GA, etc. but something about the TCA scares me.

Riley the freckle is now a scab. I expect it to be peeled off in a couple more days. I've had no problem using TCA but when I've done large areas I've been more on the conservative side. I've never gone for the frost. But I thought for a spot this size I'd go the frost.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the update, Mishey. Let me know who the area looks when the scab falls off. So, you did 3 coats at 20% TCA? (Have you done your whole face with the 20% TCA? And, if so, what were your results with that?)
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Next time I might have to resort to a glass of wine beforehand. Most people have a glass of wine wth dinner....I only drink when I am torturing myself! Rolling Eyes

The good news is the red irritation is fading, except for the lower part of my leg that I wiped directly..it is still red and hot. But I'm not particularly worried about it. The rash I still from the darn Nia24 is far more bothersome! Mad

Just a quick update....when I got up this morning, the irritation was pretty much all gone. I don't think I will be doing the wiping method again, but I definitely plan on hitting the SKs again this weekend with a Qtip or a paintbrush.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
bethany wrote:

Just a quick update....when I got up this morning, the irritation was pretty much all gone. I don't think I will be doing the wiping method again, but I definitely plan on hitting the SKs again this weekend with a Qtip or a paintbrush.

Great! Sounds like a good plan!
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

I went into the bathroom, put on a rubber glove, wet a cotton round and proceeded to wipe down the back of my leg in a cavalier manner. AND THEN THE BURNING BEGAN. AND IT CONTINUED. AND I SWORE REPEATEDLY AT MPSTAT.

I'm so sorry, Bethany - I'm not mocking your pain - but, OMG - your post made me snort tea at my monitor!!!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |