Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Without posting all the sites already linked to I have checked and all recommend the ph that Kelilu posted for Niacinamide, and also agree that Niacinamide and Glucosamine are the best synergistic blend. I would think that from
the information available on DIY sites that Niacinamide and LAA are not a compatible mix due to the ph incompatibility.

DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:47 am      Reply with quote
I have been having problems making the Vit C serum now that I have replaced the glycerin with jojoba oil....I don't understand what is going wrong. The mixure is perfect when all done but then when I leave it overnight (whether I put in fridge or not)it separates and there's one big white blob on top and the oils on the bottom....yes I have been using SKB. I give it a really good shake and it kinda all blends back in but there is little white specks as if the LAA became "undissolved".From what I've been reading the SKB should've prevented this from occuring. I did not have this problem when using glycerin (did not like this at all though). Do you know how I can fix this?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:59 am      Reply with quote
dancar3 wrote:
I have been having problems making the Vit C serum now that I have replaced the glycerin with jojoba oil....I don't understand what is going wrong. The mixure is perfect when all done but then when I leave it overnight (whether I put in fridge or not)it separates and there's one big white blob on top and the oils on the bottom....yes I have been using SKB. I give it a really good shake and it kinda all blends back in but there is little white specks as if the LAA became "undissolved".From what I've been reading the SKB should've prevented this from occuring. I did not have this problem when using glycerin (did not like this at all though). Do you know how I can fix this?

If you don't like Glycerin, you can replace it with Propylene Glycol. Personally, I wouldn't add oil to the basic Vitamin C recipe, it just complicates everything. It could be that the amount of SKB you're using is just not enough to combine the oil with the water. If you do want to use an oil, then I would just add an Oil Soluble Vitamin C to it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:00 am      Reply with quote
without going back to many many posts, can you post your amounts? (re separation).

Oil and water will separate unless you have an emulsifying agent. Imagine mixing oil and water, you will most definitely have separation, you cannot mix the two without something that connects them... Plus, I hope you are using some sort of a preservative in anything that has water...
dancar3
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:45 am      Reply with quote
Here's the recipe:

1 tsp LAA
3 tsp distilled h20
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp jojoba
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp vodka
1/8 tsp rosehip oil (instead of vit e)
1/2 tsp Hyaluronic Acid serum

I have the preservative (rh)and SKB for emulsifying...do I need to increase the SKB? I decided to add the jojoba after reading that others used it in place of the glycerine since it was not good for my oily face....it made me more shiney and greasy. I don't know anything about Propylene Glycol, is that ok for most types of skin?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
Summer_time wrote:
Hi all...I so appreciate the recipes! And Kassy - you have been beyond generous!

I've had some problems with this recipe (15% Vitamin C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba)and I have finally come to believe it is the quality of my ingredients. Others seem to have no problems!

The short story is: my FA from skin actives never completely dissolves and the oil always separates out.

May I ask where you successful potion-crafters (who have made this particular recipe) got the following ingredients?

FA
SKB
Jojoba oil (some are yellow and that seems inconvenient, right?)
Vit E oil

One great thing...my Vit C dissolves Very Happy

Thanks in advance!

Lotioncrafter will have all the ingredients by the end of 2 weeks from now, according to Jen!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Is 1/4 tsp vodka enough to preserve this recipe?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:

The Vodka is there to dissolve the Ferulic Acid, it is not a preservative as such.

I DO use a preservative in my Vitamin C recipe, I use Optiphen, read about it here:

http://www.cosmeticsbusiness.com/story.asp?storycode=1070

However, I'm still not sure whether using a preservative is totally necessary if you're making the serum yourself, storing it in the fridge and using it up quickly. So if you don't want to use one, then don't - just keep an eye on the serum to make sure it hasn't oxidized.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I am posting help with trying to find out why the ingredients seem to be separating after incorporating the jojoba oil. I am taking enough precautions w/ preserving my recipe in how it is stored and how long I keep it around.

Thanks Keliu, that's exactly what I've been doing.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
dancar3 wrote:
I am posting help with trying to find out why the ingredients seem to be separating after incorporating the jojoba oil. I am taking enough precautions w/ preserving my recipe in how it is stored and how long I keep it around.

Thanks Keliu, that's exactly what I've been doing.

I've never tried adding the Jojoba Oil - as I said above, I think it complicates things. You probably need to add a proper emulsifier to the solution - I'm not sure whether SKB is good enough at the job. I do add some SKB to help incorporate the 1/4 tsp of Vitamin E oil, but I still get a bit of separation. Let's face it, oil and water don't mix and I think to avoid separation, you'll have to find a suitable emulsifier. You could start by looking here:

http://www.bulkactives.com/categories/emulsifiers.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
I agree we know oil and water do not mix, SKB isn't listed as an emulsifier so you may need to add one if using the recipe with Jojoba.

Another good source of information along with the one Kelilu suggested is:

http://www.makingcosmetics.com

HTH
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
Do you think polysorbate 20 might work? I use this for making my body/room sprays. If so, how much do you think should be added if making 1 ounce of the serum? Thanks!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
dancar3 wrote:
Do you think polysorbate 20 might work? I use this for making my body/room sprays. If so, how much do you think should be added if making 1 ounce of the serum? Thanks!

Here is the information from makingcosmetics, the yellow color may caues issues and you would need to check if it alters your ph.

Description: Emulsifying agent consisting of laurate esters of sorbitol consisting of the monoester condensed with ethylene oxide(polyoxyethylene-20 sorbitan monostearate). Yellow liquid no or weak odor. Soluble in water, HLB Value: 16.7 (gives oil-in-water emulsions), pH: 5 - 7 (5 - 10 % aqueous solution). CAS# 9005-64-5.

INCI Name: Polysorbate-20.

Properties: Non-ionic emulsifier (enables water & oil to mix; effect increased when combined with cetyl alcohol or sorbitan stearate), dispersing agent, antistat thickener, solubilizer & stabilizer of essential oils.

Use: Can be added to formulas as is.

Applications: Creams, salves, ointments, protective creams, balms, pomades, lipsticks, mascaras, glosses.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info. After posting the question on the amount of poly that should be added....I'm sure I can answer my own question since I have a recipe for body/room sprays I make, and I'll just adjust the amount accordingly. I didn't realize how much the jojoba would alter this serum, perhaps I might look into the propylene glycol.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
zverenok wrote:

The Vodka is there to dissolve the Ferulic Acid, it is not a preservative as such.

I DO use a preservative in my Vitamin C recipe, I use Optiphen, read about it here:

http://www.cosmeticsbusiness.com/story.asp?storycode=1070

However, I'm still not sure whether using a preservative is totally necessary if you're making the serum yourself, storing it in the fridge and using it up quickly. So if you don't want to use one, then don't - just keep an eye on the serum to make sure it hasn't oxidized.

The thing, is when you can already "eye" the oxidation, it is too late. The degradation process can be in full stage before you can actually notice anything, and can do more damage than good. So I would definitely add a preservative, especially for myself. Anything that has water in it needs to have a preservative...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:46 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
The thing, is when you can already "eye" the oxidation, it is too late. The degradation process can be in full stage before you can actually notice anything, and can do more damage than good. So I would definitely add a preservative, especially for myself. Anything that has water in it needs to have a preservative...

I agree unless you are going to use it in a 1-2 weak period you MAY be safe, but you are so right LAA does begin to oxidize before you can see any signs of color change. One other thing that gets overlooked is that if your serum is separating and you have to shake it every time you use it you are blending oxygen into the serum each time it's shaken speeding up the oxidation process, really this is true with most all antioxidant serums.

IMHO
DM Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:52 am      Reply with quote
Exactly! Thank you DM!

Natural and organic is nice and dandy, and I am all in support of that, but safety is first.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:00 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Exactly! Thank you DM!

Natural and organic is nice and dandy, and I am all in support of that, but safety is first.

Thank You Smile It is a trade off we need to weigh what is really harmful and decide the safest choice! Smile

DM

5% products discount

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hey ladies I made my first batch of simple vitamin C serum, but it's not nearly as think as I expected it to be... I am not complaining, but I was just curious as to how thick and what the consistency of the serum should be....?

Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
chellelynn wrote:
Hey ladies I made my first batch of simple vitamin C serum, but it's not nearly as think as I expected it to be... I am not complaining, but I was just curious as to how thick and what the consistency of the serum should be....?

Thanks!

It is much lighter than a cream even a lotion, but not watery, as long as it stays all incorporated and doesn't separate you should be fine.

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
I would think that from
the information available on DIY sites that Niacinamide and LAA are not a compatible mix due to the ph incompatibility.

DM

Below are ingredients in a product by Jan Marini which contains both niacinimide and C (abscorbic acid).

Ingredients for Factor A Plus Lotion by Jan Marini

Deionized Water, SD Alcohol, Aloe Vera Gel, Butylene Glycol, Glycolic Acid and Ammonium Glycolate, Urea, Sodium PCA, Dimethicone, Hydroxypropyl Cellulose, Acrylates Copolymer, All Trans-Retinol, PEG-8 (and) Tocopherol (and) Ascorbyl Palmitate (and) Ascorbic Acid (Topical Vitamin C) (and) Citric Acid, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Niacinamide, Inositol.

Hopefully 'Jan' knows what she's doing.... Laughing !

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
I would think that from

DM

Below are ingredients in a product by Jan Marini which contains both niacinimide and C (abscorbic acid).

Deionized Water, SD Alcohol, Aloe Vera Gel, Butylene Glycol, Glycolic Acid and Ammonium Glycolate, Urea, Sodium PCA, Dimethicone, Hydroxypropyl Cellulose, Acrylates Copolymer, All Trans-Retinol, PEG-8 (and) Tocopherol (and) Ascorbyl Palmitate (and) Ascorbic Acid (Topical Vitamin C) (and) Citric Acid, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Niacinamide, Inositol.

Marini is formulated properly; she has paid attention to the question of pH.

The ingredients list is incomplete IMO. Some of the basics are missing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:
sister sweets wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
I would think that from

DM

Marini is formulated properly; she has paid attention to the question of pH.

The ingredients list is incomplete IMO. Some of the basics are missing.

Lacy - I certainly agree with you - I too believe it is formulated properly. I was showing that indeed niacinimide and LAA could be used together in the same product if the pH is addressed.

This was in debate by DarkMoon.
Jan Marini shows in the above product that it can and is done. Some basics are missing but that isn't the issue.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Sis,

You really need to go back and read as I did not bring this issue to the attention of the members, after reading and actually doing my own research I simply agreed! Now as you have looked into this so thoroughly please tell us what is the ph of the JM product?

TIA
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
So long as the base supports a pH of between 3 and 3.5, there are no problems and the actives will work synergistically.

HTH
Sis

Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |