Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
lmere

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
I have read that acerola powder is "loaded" with ascorbic acid and is a vitamin c-complex. Will that work? Thanks, LM
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
lmere wrote:
I have read that acerola powder is "loaded" with ascorbic acid and is a vitamin c-complex. Will that work? Thanks, LM

I am sure you can make a serum using it and many skin care lines include it in serums and creams. What I wouldn't know and don't know how you would figure it out is what percentage your final concentration would be, also I would personally test the ph just to be on the cautious side?!? Smile

Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
lmere wrote:

I am sure you can make a serum using it and many skin care lines include it in serums and creams. What I wouldn't know and don't know how you would figure it out is what percentage your final concentration would be, also I would personally test the ph just to be on the cautious side?!? Smile

Thanks. How do I test pH? (litmus paper?!) Where do I get it? Thanks, LM
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Most drugstores sell the ph strips as well as almost all of the DIY sites like lotioncrafters, makingcosmetics.com ect. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:15 am      Reply with quote
Any idea when Vit C serum can be used after it's made.....same day??? Also, mine is more of a watery type liquid and not serum, is that ok? Thanks for any help!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:34 am      Reply with quote
dancar3 wrote:
Any idea when Vit C serum can be used after it's made.....same day??? Also, mine is more of a watery type liquid and not serum, is that ok? Thanks for any help!

Hi Smile
You can definitely use your C serum as soon as it is made. Depending on the recipe you make it can be more thin or thicker, that really depends on the ingredients you choose. HTH Smile

5% products discount

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
I want to make a serum with LAA, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Vit E, Ferulic Acid. Does anyone have a recipe like this they are using? I've found the C&E Intensive Serum recipe on LotionCrafters but it's in a silicone base and they don't ship that internationally because of the flash point. Can I make it in an oil in water emulsion base or do I have to use an anhydrous silicone base to do this kind of Double C recipe? Can anyone point me in the right direction or help me create a recipe? Thanks!

Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
I am extremely sensitive to topical products, which break me out. However, I can tolerate Decleor's Aromessence Ylang Ylang oil which contains Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Rosemary and St Thomas Bay Essential Oils. Would l-ascorbic acid be stable in these oils?

The Aromessence Ylang Ylang oil is rather expensive, so maybe it would just be better to use another homemade vitamin C formulation entirely and apply it prior to using the Decleor product. If I waited 15 minutes after applying the vitamin C serum, would it be OK to apply the Decleor product? I don't want anything to interfere with the effectiveness of the vitamin C serum.

Thank you for any advice.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
LAA isn't oil soluble you would need to either use one of the oil soluble derivatives like THDA in the oil or layer your Ylang Ylang oil over a LAA serum. Smile

HTH

5% products discount

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:57 am      Reply with quote
What time of day is everyone applying their C Serum? And why? If applying in the a.m., how long do you wait before applying a moisturizer or makeup? I've been using my C Serum at night and my AHA in the am, but wondering if I am doing it backwards? Thanks for your insight everyone.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

I am newish to the DIY aspect of skin care and have really enjoyed reading the forum here and playing with several of the recipes.

I have oilyish skin and breakouts...used Retin A for the last 10 years as the only skin care I have done...and sunscreen. Pretty simple and lazy of me. It cleared up my acne issue like a charm.

Hit 40 this year and decided it's about time I put more effort into taking care of me.

I am very curious about the Vit C serum as I live in a hot sunny humid country and would like to make something I can wear under my DIY sunblock.

Would you please be so kind as to give me your feedback on the following changes in the recipe...I am loathe to waste my carefully scavenged goodies as some are not as easy to get here.

The original Recipe I am working off, and based on things that I do Not have on hand.

15% VITAMIN C, E & FERULIC 1 oz./30 ml (with emulsifier 4-14-10)

What you need:

3 tsp Distilled H20 (warm, but not hot)
1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid (15%) is what you want. If you have the fine powder variety (and a gram scale), 4.5 grams is good. For the heavier crystals, just use 1 tsp.
1 tsp SKB (warm till liquidy, otherwise you’ll have little clumps of it)
1/2 tsp Macadamia Nut Oil (this enhances penetration, and isn’t at all greasy)
1/2 tsp Glycerin (nice humectant, gives a nice texture, and *helps* with emulsifying)
1/4 tsp Rosehip Oil (all the vitamin E you need is in this, and then some!)
1/8 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/2 tsp Vodka (you MUST use this to liquefy the FA)
0.6 ml/cc Polysorbate 80 (2%, this is the emulsifier)
3 drops of Optiphen (preservative)
0.3 ml/cc of Hyaluronic Acid ‘Serum’ (1%)

I don't have the SKB or optiphen or Ferulic Acid or Hyaluronic Acid,.

I do have Vit A palmitate , Aloe vera, Grapefruit seed extract, Vit E, Polysorbate 20 and a variety of oils.

Proposed Changes based on Ingredients at hand:

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid (15%) is what you want. If you have the fine powder variety (and a gram scale), 4.5 grams is good. For the heavier crystals, just use 1 tsp.
1/2 tsp Hazelnut Nut Oil
1/2 tsp Glycerin (nice humectant, gives a nice texture, and *helps* with emulsifying)
1/4 tsp Borage Oil
0.6 ml/cc Polysorbate 20 (2%, this is the emulsifier)
3 drops of Grapefruit seed extract (preservative)

The liquid portions of the original recipe can I sub in Aloe and Vit A ?

Maybe it's just a dumb question and I am nervous to give this a shot...I have been playing around with the other DIY recipes here, the OCM and the aspirin masks and ACV and all that fun stuff....and it WORKS! I am loving it. From someone who has for years eschewed oil in anything that went on my face...it's a huge turn around for me.

Probably many of the DIY'ers here are soapers too so there may be room for coming up with a nice one for the face as well. Still tinkering about to do something nice for the hair Smile If it works...I will share the recipe.

Will appreciate any and all thoughts from the pro's here.
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
Okies....was too excited..had to go ahead and play.

Did this
1/2 tsp Hazelnut Nut Oil
1/2 tsp Glycerin
1/4 tsp Borage Oil
0.6 ml/cc Polysorbate 80
= 1 tsp Aloe vera
1/4 tsp Vit A
1/4 Tsp Vit E

PH looks around 3.5 from the test paper...the liquid is a milky yellow color and soaks quickly into the skin.

Haven't tried it on my face yet as still sensitive from the Aspirin and OCM cleaning..lol.

Will plop some on before I go to work under my Sunscreen.

Lord have mercy...what have I gotten myself into!! This is FUN!!!

The LAA instantly dissolved Exclamation

Thank you All out there that are sharing your recipes and helping each other out.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
Okies....was too excited..had to go ahead and play.

Did this
1/2 tsp Hazelnut Nut Oil
1/2 tsp Glycerin
1/4 tsp Borage Oil
0.6 ml/cc Polysorbate 80
= 1 tsp Aloe vera
1/4 tsp Vit A
1/4 Tsp Vit E

PH looks around 3.5 from the test paper...the liquid is a milky yellow color and soaks quickly into the skin.

Haven't tried it on my face yet as still sensitive from the Aspirin and OCM cleaning..lol.

Will plop some on before I go to work under my Sunscreen.

Lord have mercy...what have I gotten myself into!! This is FUN!!!

The LAA instantly dissolved Exclamation

Thank you All out there that are sharing your recipes and helping each other out.

Ummmm, I'm thinking because you're an 'oily girl', and live in a hot and humid area to boot, you can make these little changes which will give you a nicer serum;

1% citric acid will give you some preservation power, and also reduce your pH to the more optimal 2.8 ish area.

I'd also cut your total "oil" content to no more than 1/2 tsp in total... You might also want to either nix the glycerin all together, or cut it down to about 1/8th tsp.

Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents worth... Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
That 2 cents has saved me many, many dollars. Very Happy
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Some 2 cents are worth a lot more than others Laughing Bad Grin Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for the feedback Kassy_A . Smile

I will give that a shot the next time around.

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid (15%)
1/4 tsp Hazelnut Nut Oil
1/8 tsp [ or none] Glycerin
1/4 tsp Borage Oil
0.6 ml/cc Polysorbate 80
= 1 tsp Aloe vera
1/4 tsp Vit A
1/4 Tsp Vit E
1% Citric acid

Another dumb question. For 1% citric acid, is that in liquid or crystal form? And...really dumb question, is this the same stuff I can buy for really cheap at the pharmacy? And use in household cleaning ? { think it IS...but would like confirmation before I go off willy nilly adding stuff and frying my face ]
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
Thank you for the feedback Kassy_A . Smile

I will give that a shot the next time around.

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid (15%)
1/4 tsp Hazelnut Nut Oil
1/8 tsp [ or none] Glycerin
1/4 tsp Borage Oil
0.6 ml/cc Polysorbate 80
= 1 tsp Aloe vera
1/4 tsp Vit A
1/4 Tsp Vit E
1% Citric acid

Another dumb question. For 1% citric acid, is that in liquid or crystal form? And...really dumb question, is this the same stuff I can buy for really cheap at the pharmacy? And use in household cleaning ? { think it IS...but would like confirmation before I go off willy nilly adding stuff and frying my face ]

I am an oily girl too and I agree with K to eliminate the glycerine. And I would hold off about the citric A until you hear from Kassy. We don't want to be frying our faces - got that right Shock Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
You can always ask the pharmacist, but if it's just pure citric acid them it should be just fine. Smile You don't need that much to adjust the ph and should test that anyway. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:11 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I'd also like to know where to get citric acid, - if it doubles as a preservative and ph 'adjuster', then I would this very useful,

thanks

Jackie xx
Llana

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi

I am new here and found the information about DIY Vitamin C serum very interesting. I'd like to give it a try but was wondering if i can use sodium ascorbate instead of ascorbic acid, if so what would be the best way to go about making the serum?

Thank You
Llana
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
lmere wrote:

I've only ever seen "acerola powder" in supplement form, so I'm not sure if that is what you are considering for your serum... If you are considering the supplement form, just be aware that it no doubt will have food and/or thickening additives (like "maltodextrin" for ex.) that are really not meant to be applied to the skin. (No it won't hurt you, as it's only derived from starch, but it probably won't do anything positive for your skin either.)

The real deal L-AA is so readily available + affordable for DIY'ers, so I'd recommend you give that a try.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Llana wrote:
Hi

I am new here and found the information about DIY Vitamin C serum very interesting. I'd like to give it a try but was wondering if i can use sodium ascorbate instead of ascorbic acid, if so what would be the best way to go about making the serum?

Thank You
Llana

ICK! Laughing

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Llana wrote:
Hi

Thank You
Llana

ICK! Laughing

I think that's means "No, and don't bother". Laughing

It will be really cheap once you get all your stuff around. Buy the products you need and you will be set to make a high end C product and cheapppppp.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Sister Sweets and Kassy-A you two are hilarious and thank you so much for the pointers. I spent a couple hours at the pharmacy trying to explain what I wanted here...and all they had was VIT C tablets...then the lady told me of a shop that sold chemicals...and on the shelf was the L-ascorbic acid Very Happy After reading the experiences of many here, I was totally surprised when mine dissolved instantly!

I have added the citric acid to my mix thus far and I can tell you this stuff WORKS...like OMG!!! Thank you for the recipes and pointers.

I have asked the place to order in Ferulic Acid , I bought the Hyaluronic acid serum and have to add that in yet.

Also...have them trying to hunt down retinoic acid for me. Wooohooo...now if I can get my hands on that, I will DIY my Retin A. Cool The possibilities are endless.

I am happy to report that only after a few days, my pores are finer, any icky areas are healing much faster and I am generally tickled pinker than a pig at having found this forum.

OCM just ROCKS[Thank you Darkmoon], the aspirin mask I can't stop singing it's praises...and the Vit C serum at pennies on the dollar, *sweet*

You ladies are just awesome!
Llana

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="sister sweets"][quote="Kassy_A"][quote="Llana"]Hi

Thank You
Llana[/quote]

ICK! Laughing[/quote]

I think that's means "No, and don't bother". Laughing

It will be really cheap once you get all your stuff around. Buy the products you need and you will be set to make a high end C product and cheapppppp.[/quote]

Thank you for your reply, ill be going out to buy the products i need. Just to be sure, i need ascorbic acid and glycerin, will it be enough with just those 2? Im sorry if these questions have already been asked, tried reading all the posts but there were just too many.

Thank you again for your reply otherwise i was going to try the sodium ascorbate and i guess that was going to be a big mistake Embarassed
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |