Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
helenjean
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:24 am      Reply with quote
thankyou darkmoon and sis, i shall be using it this morning.
sis, why are you not using the skb now was there a reason, and which one do you use now?

5% products discount

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, I made it through 15 pages of this thread but I just can't read all 59!

I have two questions for someone science-y

1. I bought ascorbic acid from skinactives. It is apparently not purified l-ascorbic acid but rather a racemic mixture of d and l isomers (based on what I read on their website). Does this mean that I need to double the amount that I put in? In other words, do I need to mix up a 20% solution of their ascorbic acid so that the solution has 10% l-ascorbic acid?

On a related note, does anyone know -- if a product is being sold as "vitamin c" and lists the ingredient as "ascorbic acid", does this mean it is the racemic mixture or just l-ascorbic acid? I would assume the former but I have not been able to confirm this.

2. I saw several posts by Kassy stating that food grade ascorbic acid is not suitable. Why? If the supplement is in ascorbic acid form, powder form, and has no other ingredients, why would it be any different from what skinactives or another DIY skincare site is selling?
myfunnyvalentine
5% products discount

Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

Is SKB an emulsifier or not? I have heard some say that it is and some say it isn't.

Why do some Kassy vit C recipes call for polysorbate +SKB , and some just SKB?

utterly confused blergh

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:33 am      Reply with quote
macropis wrote:
Okay, I made it through 15 pages of this thread but I just can't read all 59!

I have two questions for someone science-y

1. I bought ascorbic acid from skinactives. It is apparently not purified l-ascorbic acid but rather a racemic mixture of d and l isomers (based on what I read on their website). Does this mean that I need to double the amount that I put in? In other words, do I need to mix up a 20% solution of their ascorbic acid so that the solution has 10% l-ascorbic acid?

On a related note, does anyone know -- if a product is being sold as "vitamin c" and lists the ingredient as "ascorbic acid", does this mean it is the racemic mixture or just l-ascorbic acid? I would assume the former but I have not been able to confirm this.

2. I saw several posts by Kassy stating that food grade ascorbic acid is not suitable. Why?
If the supplement is in ascorbic acid form, powder form, and has no other ingredients, why would it be any different from what skinactives or another DIY skincare site is selling?

First all pure 100% Vitamin C had both L and D so you have absorbic acid as far as I know all the suppliers Skinactives, Bulkactives and Lotioncrafters sell theirs to be used at the recommended concentrations 10%_15%_20%.

All products listed and sold as Vitamin C must be L Ascorbic Acid, most all crystals or powders sold for the purpose of consumption just don't list the L! There has been a back and forth over using "food grade" but it's worked just fine for me in the past as long as no fillers I have had 2 brands one ordered a few times by my pharmacist for me and another from the health food store- brands Solgar and Solaray I used these way before joining EDS.

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:39 am      Reply with quote
myfunnyvalentine wrote:
Hi,

Is SKB an emulsifier or not? I have heard some say that it is and some say it isn't.

utterly confused blergh

I can't answer for Kassy on her many recipes but SKB may help somewhat in keeping things together, however I have seen many need to shake to re-mix the water and oil portion of those without a proper emulsifier in them.

SKB is not an emulsifier, polysorbate 20-60-80 all are.

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:57 am      Reply with quote
myfunnyvalentine wrote:
Hi,

utterly confused blergh

Just copying the post I answered for you on SKT the other day:

Originally Posted by myfunnyvalentine View Post
Just wondering why in some L-AA serums that Kassy has formulated, there are emulsifiers like polysorbate, but in this one there isn't? Does this formula need to be shaken before each use?

Is SKB an emulsifier? In another thread I was told that it isn't.

Excuse my n00b-ness, and thanks in advance for your patience with me.

My Answer:
The recipe you speak of was one of my first attempts, and long before I started to incorporate an emulsifier.. I now put 'polysorbate 80' in all of my recipes, and it's been perfect.

SKB is NOT a true emulsifier, but it has acted to *emulsify* a tiny bit of oil into those particular C serum recipes.

When I refrigerate my C serums they seem to get thicker and also stay emulsified better.. When I have them at room temp, I do find I need to shake a bit, and they remain quite a bit thinner.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
I made Kassy's Vit. C,E & FA serum with jojoba for the first time yesterday. Thanks a bunch Kassy for this awesome recipe, I love this serum!! It absorbed in beautifully and my face was glowy all day!

I mixed it with a tiny metal whisk, is that a no-no?
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
I made Kassy's Vit. C,E & FA serum with jojoba for the first time yesterday. Thanks a bunch Kassy for this awesome recipe, I love this serum!! It absorbed in beautifully and my face was glowy all day!

It shouldn't be too bad if you're not whisking it so much that it starts generating heat
helenjean
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
brierrose wrote:

It shouldn't be too bad if you're not whisking it so much that it starts generating heat

the recipe i make is the one where kassy recommends putting some of thebingrediants for a few seconds in the microwave, i then find that if i mixvall the reamining ingrediants together immediatly it all mixes together well, should i wait for this to cool down before mixing or is it ok?
when i make my serum

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
sorry just read my post didnt check it first Very Happy
I hope it can be understood

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:03 am      Reply with quote
helenjean wrote:
sorry just read my post didnt check it first Very Happy
I hope it can be understood

Did you read how Kassy mixes? I am not using the recipe so I don't really know honestly, hopefully either Kassy or someone who uses that recipe will chime in!

As far as the whisk most metals I avoid but stainless steal is not a worry to me. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:29 am      Reply with quote
Can someone tell me how long Ferulic Acid and SKB keeps? I have some that's about 2 years old, opened once or twice. The SKB has been kept out of light. I'd like to use them instead of repurchasing but obviously not if their effectiveness has been diminished.

Has anyone tried putting their serum into an atomizer and misting the face? To me it seems like a good idea in theory (the first batch I made I always had trouble with the drops rolling down my face before I could pat it in properly but maybe I'm just an application idiot? Laughing) but are there practical concerns I'm overlooking?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:30 am      Reply with quote
If I just apply vitamin C in water as a body spray before bedtime, is that good enough? I don't want to use Vitamin E oil afterward because it would be too greasy to sleep in.
Starbright
5% products discount

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
I have been working my way through this long post, but haven't found an answer to my question which is, does anyone know where I can buy l ascorbic acid in UK along with the other ingredients for these serums. I have done searches on google, but haven't come up with the answer. Thanks Smile
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
If I just apply vitamin C in water as a body spray before bedtime, is that good enough? I don't want to use Vitamin E oil afterward because it would be too greasy to sleep in.

I highly recommend you follow your application with 2 or 3 drops of a vitamin E containing oil to your face (at the very least.)

Grapeseed oil contains vit E and absorbs right in without being greasy..

You must use multiple antioxidants for the synergistic effect, and the best possible results.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
I am not sure if I posted this at EDS, so please forgive if I did.. (It's probably my favorite so far, and those who have *separation anxiety* will especially enjoy this one.. Laughing )

15% VITAMIN C SERUM WITH WGO + FA

- 15% LAA
-* 1% Wheat Germ Oil (high vit E content!)
- .5% Ferulic Acid
-* .5% Polysorbate 80
- .5% Preservative (Optiphen works nicely in acidic formulas!)
- .5% Vodka (you need to use this to dissolve the FA.)
- 82% Distilled Water

* Grapeseed Oil can be used in place of WGO *

* .5% is the minimum you would want to use of poly 80.. 1% works better!

* Please don't anybody be concerned with the tiny little amount of vodka.. (I assure you, your toothpaste is much more ominous..for starters.. Bad Grin )

* Here's a calculator for those with a scale;
http://www.lotioncrafter.com/lotioncrafter-premium-ingredients-calculate-convert.html

Personally I wing it with my teaspoon and cc syringes, but if you want exacts, then you need the gram scale.. (I can do it in my sleep at this point Laughing )

sabbie

Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
So I have decided to give DIY a shot but my question is how do you choose which recipe to use? Are some better for certain skin types or is it more of an ingredient preference thing? So many have gotten great reviews from users that it's hard to decide. I'm probably over thinking things and should make the one that Kassy just listed but didn't know if you needed to start simple kind of like with CP's.

Thx from a newbie!
myfunnyvalentine
5% products discount

Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="Kassy_A"]I am not sure if I posted this at EDS, so please forgive if I did.. (It's probably my favorite so far, and those who have *separation anxiety* will especially enjoy this one.. Laughing )

15% VITAMIN C SERUM WITH WGO + FA

- 15% LAA
-* 1% Wheat Germ Oil (high vit E content!)
- .5% Ferulic Acid
-* .5% Polysorbate 80
- .5% Preservative (Optiphen works nicely in acidic formulas!)
quote]

Thanks Kassy! I will be ordering my digital scale soon, but in the meantime, can you give us the recipe in teaspoons, cc, or mLs?

And I'm assuming that the rest of the 83% is distilled water?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
I was wondering if I can add liquid co-enzyme q10 to the basic vitamin C serum recipe that I follow up with a couple drops of vit. e after applied?

5% products discount

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:09 am      Reply with quote
I currently use a mixture of LAA, FA, MAP, Hyaluronic Acid, and Vit E. The thing is, it makes my face very shiny, which I don't like Smile Any recs on what to change or eliminate? I use bare minerals make up, and I feel like I still look shiny even after I apply it. Thanks!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Starbright wrote:
I have been working my way through this long post, but haven't found an answer to my question which is, does anyone know where I can buy l ascorbic acid in UK along with the other ingredients for these serums. I have done searches on google, but haven't come up with the answer. Thanks Smile

This is SkinActives UK site

http://www.activeformulas.com/activeformulas/Welcome.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:54 am      Reply with quote
jencarl wrote:
I currently use a mixture of LAA, FA, MAP, Hyaluronic Acid, and Vit E. The thing is, it makes my face very shiny, which I don't like Smile Any recs on what to change or eliminate? I use bare minerals make up, and I feel like I still look shiny even after I apply it. Thanks!

Not sure without the percentages you are using what's causing the shine, possibly HA?

One thing to look at though is the ph incompatibility of LAA & MAP....LAA best 3.5 or under and MAP around 6 or so. Those 2 really don't work well together in the same serum.

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:18 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
jencarl wrote:

Not sure without the percentages you are using what's causing the shine, possibly HA?

One thing to look at though is the ph incompatibility of LAA & MAP....LAA best 3.5 or under and MAP around 6 or so. Those 2 really don't work well together in the same serum.

HTH

I agree with the "incompatibility" of those two forms of vitamin C, but none the less, folks are seeming to enjoy *some* benefits.

Personally, I have found that mixing the two results in a fairly quick 2nd stage of oxidation (like 2ish weeks.) I've also clearly noticed the dreaded "hot dog" smell at that time. For me, pure L-AA in a no nonsense C, E + FA serum, is what yields the very best results for me.

@jencarl, are you quite sure you aren't mistaking the "shine" for the *glow*, that so many of us are enjoying?

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:38 am      Reply with quote
That's very true, Kassy about the "glow" from LAA, whether due to expediting cell turnover or just that magic LAA gives our skin, or both? That's one of the first things I noticed when I first started using a C serum years ago. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, am new to mixing my own vit c serum. I'd like to mix a small bit of LAA fresh every day. Would tap water be ok for this or maybe glycerin or rose water ? Thank you! Smile
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |