Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I don't like the residue that SKB leaves on the skin either - although I do use it as a mask which I wash off after 15 minutes. So I replace the SKB with Glycerin in my Vitamin C recipe.

You can also do 50/50 with glycerin and SKB and have the best of both!

Glycerin is great for all but the most 'oily' girls!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
dagnolia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

Any port in a storm, is what I always say.. Gin will suffice.. It's the alcohol in it that counts, so I choose vodka because it's colorless and the smell dissipates once it's fomulated in..

SKB is a great ingredient, but in certain formulations, it will definately leave that residue..(Again, a bit of alcohol will help in that regard too!)

You can make a vitamin C toner with water in a little spritz bottle kept in fridge, which will probably last a few days to a week.. Making a few ounces often is best for that.

I bought formulating PH test strips ages ago, but if I can find the site again I'll post it.. It's absolutely imperative that an L-Ascorbic Acid formulation, have a PH of 3.5 or lower, or it won't penetrate the skin.....Any of the recipe's I've shared for C, meet that criteria.

i initially added some E and ferulic to the spritz... will that make it last longer?

how do you know when it goes bad? does the pH change?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
I love skinactives and would highly recommend DMAE(it tightens) and Let's Make collagen. Everything I have gotten from skinactives has been great for my skin. My only regret is that I am just now finding out about it.
Toby

Toby, have you used Let's Make Collagen as a base for your vit C serum? Would it work? I'm just looking into making my own C serum and want to combine what I have that already works.
DMAE makes me break out in painful cysts, so I avoid it.
I use RAM, SkinCeuticals C+E ferulic, HA serum, Uriage Bariederm (in the winter), and SS right now.
TIA!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Toby, have you used Let's Make Collagen as a base for your vit C serum? Would it work?

Not Toby, but I use Let's Make Collagen but don't know that I'd use it as a base for Vitamin C. It contains excellent ingredients like Niacinamide, Glucosamine, Epidermal Growth Factor etc. etc. So I'd be inclined not to fiddle with it. I apply this in the evening.

To make Vitamin C serum you can simply use a base of distilled water and glycerin (what could be simpler?) If you want to replicate Skinceuticals just add a pinch of Ferulic Acid and 1/4 tsp of Vitamin E. You can apply this in the morning.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Keliu!
Where does LMC work in with Retin-A? Do you apply it after a waiting a while?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Where does LMC work in with Retin-A? Do you apply it after a waiting a while?

After washing my face in the evening I apply LMC and wait for it to sink in. Then I apply the Retin-A, wait half an hour and apply emu oil. Applying the LMC before the Retin-A hasn't made any difference to the efficacy of Retin-A IMO. I"M working on the theory of thinnest to thickest.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
Ah! Thanks! I will try that: LMC then RAM then oil.

I'm waiting for my bottle of Nature's Gift Cleopatra's Secret Serum to get here....so I can apply that over my RAM. It contains argan oil and frankincense, among other things. I figure by the time I wait in between layers, it will take me around 2 hours to get ready for bed.... heh.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
I figure by the time I wait in between layers, it will take me around 2 hours to get ready for bed.... heh.

Yes, by the time I've done my morning routine, it's time for lunch! So one hour break, and it's on to the evening routine! Laughing
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
dagnolia wrote:

i initially added some E and ferulic to the spritz... will that make it last longer?

how do you know when it goes bad? does the pH change?

When it begins to oxidize, it will start to turn yellow.. When that happens pitch it out.. Using E and FA will both help to stabilize it for a longer period of time.. And of course keep it refregerated.

FA is only slightly soluble in water, so it might be a little gritty!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
tuna
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:25 am      Reply with quote
I bought the pure vitamin powder of Dr. sebagh, and I combined it with night cream or other serum,it lightens my face.
rainbowcheng
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:13 am      Reply with quote
Vitamin C serum is great, but I do not like the smell of Vitamine c. How to let the smell out?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:19 am      Reply with quote
rainbowcheng wrote:
Vitamin C serum is great, but I do not like the smell of Vitamine c. How to let the smell out?

Vitamin C serum should not have any smell to it. What brand are you using?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not rainbowcheng, but I just want to ask where I might find pH test strips that go down to 3.5?? I'd like to find a store, not online, if possible. Tried pet stores and health food stores - but none that go as acidic as 3.5. Any other ideas??? I thought of wine-making shops, but none are here in BFE!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
I'm not rainbowcheng, but I just want to ask where I might find pH test strips that go down to 3.5?? I'd like to find a store, not online, if possible. Tried pet stores and health food stores - but none that go as acidic as 3.5. Any other ideas??? I thought of wine-making shops, but none are here in BFE!!

Hi fawnie,

try these sites:

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/store/pH-Fix-Indicator-Strips-pr-16464.html

or

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/index1.html

one goes to 0 and the other to 2Smile
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
I just want to ask where I might find pH test strips that go down to 3.5?? I'd like to find a store, not online, if possible.

Try a store that carries teacher/science supplies.. They usually will have Litmus testing strips..

Once upon a time they had "spa" testing strips that went down to 3, but I don't think they make them that low anymore.

fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Oh I never thought of that, thanks Kathy!

Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
hi all....
i've been reading this forum for a while. I am confused to choose between water-based (the lascorbic acid)or oil-based (the tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate) vitamin c serum to make... so i was thinking to make serum that contain both... and also contain vit e... can anyone give me a suggestion of a recipe? I know this forum contains a lot of recipe-genius Smile

I will purchase the ingredients from skinactive. As for the oil base of the vit c, which oil is good? I will be using at night... I'm 35 yrs old btw...

i have a digital scale. would it help?

thank u in advance Very Happy
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi sherly
Welcome to the forum. Skin Actives will have recipes there for you and many here too.
I'm not sure if you need a digital scale. Personally, I like the simple Vit C with distilled water,this time I added glycol. I keep a small blue bottle in the fridge. Then after applying to dry face and letting absorb,I apply Vit E. I know youre going to have fun,so many things to make. Very Happy
sherly

Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:25 am      Reply with quote
hi skin care addict
i am overwhelmed by the information contained in this thread... i'm so excited and can't wait to make my own serum... but i want to buy from 1 place so i only have to pay 1 shipping cost...

do you apply vit e separately or you put it in the vit c serum?
I'm Kiki
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi all. I've been away for a while, but keep reading on and off..

Just wanted to let Kassy know I made her latest and greatest, and am LOVING it!

I've always used Carekates recipe, {which is a great starting place} and it was OK, but did take a while to absorb {with me anyway} Your's absorbs so fast, I LOVE IT!

Thanks so much for posting it. In no way am I even thinking I can do all the formulations, so people like you, that share are such a blessing to me..

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
I'm Kiki wrote:
Hi all. I've been away for a while, but keep reading on and off..

Just wanted to let Kassy know I made her latest and greatest, and am LOVING it!

I've always used Carekates recipe, {which is a great starting place} and it was OK, but did take a while to absorb {with me anyway} Your's absorbs so fast, I LOVE IT!

Thanks so much for posting it. In no way am I even thinking I can do all the formulations, so people like you, that share are such a blessing to me..

Thanks Kiki, it's nice to know I was helpful, and you are enjoying it .. Very Happy

skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
skin care addict wrote:
Hi sherly
Welcome to the forum. Skin Actives will have recipes there for you and many here too.
I'm not sure if you need a digital scale. Personally, I like the simple Vit C with distilled water,this time I added glycol. I keep a small blue bottle in the fridge. Then after applying to dry face and letting absorb,I apply Vit E. I know youre going to have fun,so many things to make. Very Happy

Sherly,hope you checked out all the DIY sites and found some new recipes and friends.
I just use my Vit E oil (after I apply my C and let it soak in a bit.) I havent purchased the FA yet.Ferlic acid-I am sure that's the wrong spelling.
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
I tried making Kassy's last Vit C serum this afternoon, but didn't get past mixing the Vit C powder/distilled water stage. Its been sitting for hours and the powder still hasn't dissolved Confused I'm afraid if I proceed the end result will be 'grainy' and less effective than if it were dissolved entirely.

Could any of you pros in the DIY field, give me some advice - should I proceed anyway?

TIA Very Happy
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
hi anya,what kind of Vit C did you use ? it sounds like there are fillers that wont dissolve.Did you pm KAssey to double check her recipe ?
I got mine from GOW and it is very fine and melts into the water.
Sorry,youre having trouble with your DIY.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Anya, did you buy L-Ascorbic Acid crystals/powder from a regular formulating place, as suggested?

I'll wait for your response, and then help you rectify the situation. As "skin care addict" mentioned, anything from a drug or health food store could have fillers, which will throw the whole thing off.

The 1 tsp of the right 'C' will dissolve without problems in 3 tsp of water.. If it doesn't, within about 30 to 45 minutes, it's either old, or has fillers..

ETA: Sorry I didn't see this till now. I'm having a heck of a time with my 'watched topics' disappearing into thin air ... Crying or Very sad

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |