Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2011 12:28 am      Reply with quote
vasilenka wrote:
I want to make one serum for my mom but since i screwed up mu first one i want to wait for advice lol Wink
Ladies help in my first serum turned weird, i believe is the SKB, mine is in gel form are all SKB serums in gel form? i bought it from Bulk Actives..
and my serum turned full with chunks and when i apply it those chunks just stay and you have to remove them, in other words i think something did not dissolved right and for some reason i think it might be the SKB..

Help Smile does yours turn like real smooth clear serum?
what to do. Sad

I have the SKB from Bulkactives as well, and it is gel-like, yes.

Try again without SKB to see if it is the issue. I remember from past posts that it is the Ferulic that is the main culprit, not the SKB.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2011 12:38 am      Reply with quote
iloveyouss wrote:
how can I use l ascorbic acid around my eyes? thats my biggest problem area but I have extremely thin sensitive skin around my eyes. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Smile

Use a lower % of LAA - maybe try 5% for a start.

Or use other forms of Vit C eg MAP or THDA.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2011 12:44 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
Just wondering, has anyone ever experienced any BAD reactions from C serums?

Yes, specifically LAA. The low pH irritates when my skin is acting up. Not a problem when I am normal.

I have seen other forumers who can't use LAA at all though.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2011 12:51 am      Reply with quote
iloveyouss wrote:
do any of you ladies use nucelle mandelic acid in your skincare regime? how do you incorporate your other creams (retin A) with using vitamin c?

Not Nucelle but I use the M2 mandelic acid. I alternate it with retin a at night. Vit C I use in the morning under sunscreen.

There are others who use Vit C before retin a at night too.
iloveyouss
5% products discount

Tue May 31, 2011 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
I started using my vit c creation and my skin is getting really dewy but im noticing a lot of whiteheads. This happened when I was using skin medica vit c+e serum (lots of blackheads). is this normal when starting the vit c serum? will this go away or is the serum (laa+glycerin+water) comedogenic? will mandelic acid 10% help w this?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2011 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
I would supplement your DIY with something else = an inexpensive choice is Cellbone.com The c products are terrific.

I have made and used DIY C from Kassy's formulas - Love it Kassy - thanks)

If I were to get into C serums again this is how I would flow:
I would pull any DIY I had together and then I would research (beforehand) and go with Cellbone products - they work and with a great result. \\

YOu have to know your own body to know if someone/or product is right.

If you have a C product or make a C product" Alternate (DIY) with Cellbone C - otherwise go with cellbone for cost/effectiveness. I know I have favorites too = like anyone- but we all know C's are a good start as is Retin A.

5% products discount

Tue May 31, 2011 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
Do diy c serums usually clog pores? does it usually go away?
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:24 am      Reply with quote
iloveyouss wrote:
Do diy c serums usually clog pores? does it usually go away?

The whiteheads/clogging might be due to too much glycerin. Try lowering the % and see how you go?
dgoh

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hello. I'm new to this board and am interested in Vit. C serum. Is it better to DIY or should I get it from a site like cellbone. That site seems pretty cheap.

I am totally new to any DIY stuff. I have a few questions.

1) I have seen a few websites that sell the stuff but the shipping to Canada is a little high. Can I buy the products at a supermarket or anywhere else in Canada?

2) Are the DIY stuff just as potent as the Vitamin C from big name companies such as skincueticals?

3) Anyone living in Metro Vancouver willing to purchase together to save on shipping?

About me, I am a 29 year old guy who has had skin problems since high school. I have tried differin, minocycline, benzoyl peroxide, lactic peels to get rid of acne/scars but they have had very minimal effects.

Now, I have the occasional acne but other than that, acne scars. They are the ice-pick variety like somebody poked a small hole with a toothpick.

I just purchased some LEDs from theledman and I got some retin A 0.05 cream that I bought over a year ago from Bangkok but just opened it and used it for the 1st time last night. I also purchased a 0.25mm dermaroller for product penetration and a 1.5mm for the scars. All I need now is the Vitamin C. Plan to apply Vit C in the morning, retin A at night. Not sure when to use the dermarollers, in the morning or night and also, LEDs in the morning or night. If anyone here can help me, help is much appreciated. I am just sick of avoiding mirrors and want to improve my skin. Other people say it is not bad at all and I don't notice the scarring when taking photos from far so it is not too bad, but I hate the close ups and mirrors in bright lighting.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
dgoh wrote:
Hello. I'm new to this board and am interested in Vit. C serum. Is it better to DIY or should I get it from a site like cellbone. That site seems pretty cheap.

I am totally new to any DIY stuff. I have a few questions.

1) I have seen a few websites that sell the stuff but the shipping to Canada is a little high. Can I buy the products at a supermarket or anywhere else in Canada?

2) Are the DIY stuff just as potent as the Vitamin C from big name companies such as skincueticals?

3) Anyone living in Metro Vancouver willing to purchase together to save on shipping?

About me, I am a 29 year old guy who has had skin problems since high school. I have tried differin, minocycline, benzoyl peroxide, lactic peels to get rid of acne/scars but they have had very minimal effects.

Now, I have the occasional acne but other than that, acne scars. They are the ice-pick variety like somebody poked a small hole with a toothpick.

I just purchased some LEDs from theledman and I got some retin A 0.05 cream that I bought over a year ago from Bangkok but just opened it and used it for the 1st time last night. I also purchased a 0.25mm dermaroller for product penetration and a 1.5mm for the scars. All I need now is the Vitamin C. Plan to apply Vit C in the morning, retin A at night. Not sure when to use the dermarollers, in the morning or night and also, LEDs in the morning or night. If anyone here can help me, help is much appreciated. I am just sick of avoiding mirrors and want to improve my skin. Other people say it is not bad at all and I don't notice the scarring when taking photos from far so it is not too bad, but I hate the close ups and mirrors in bright lighting.

Hi there, welcome to EDS!

I'm quite new to DIY myself, and have just recently ordered my ingredients and waiting for them to arrive.

1. Yes, shipping to Canada is quite high but it's just something we have to live with. I like to offset that by thinking about all our health care benefits lol Rolling Eyes It actually isn't too bad though, maybe like $10 more and it's worth it if you can get great skin out of it. You can usually buy oils in a local health food store so you can start there. Just don't attempt to use vit C capsules that you can buy at the drugstore. Vit e capsules are fine apparently.

Check here for a list of suppliers: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902
Just ctrl+f 'suppliers'
The popular ones are skinessentialactives, lotioncrafters, skinactives and mountainroseherbs (for oils)

2. Yes they are just as potent and can even be of more quality. People like to use DIY recipes because they can control what and how much goes in. I can't attest to how effective it is yet since I'm pretty new to it, but considering the discussion going on, it seems pretty good.

Hope this helps!
iloveyouss
5% products discount

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
what can i substitute in place of the glycerin that wont clog my pores? also, are the 25% vitamin c serums sold on ebay just as good as skinceuticals?
p.s- just want to say a big thank you for all the help so far, I get more feedback on here than at my dermatologists office Smile
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:45 am      Reply with quote
iloveyouss wrote:
what can i substitute in place of the glycerin that wont clog my pores? also, are the 25% vitamin c serums sold on ebay just as good as skinceuticals?
p.s- just want to say a big thank you for all the help so far, I get more feedback on here than at my dermatologists office Smile

Try a pure aloe gel in place of the glycerin. I don't like glycerin either - too sticky. The aloe gel should be as pure as possible, with limited fillers. You can find some at most drugstores.

Not sure about the C serums on eBay. I've heard good things about Cosmetic Solutions, but have not tried it. I prefer DIY.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:01 am      Reply with quote
iloveyouss wrote:

You can use sea kelp bioferment or aloe vera. Both work very well Smile
dgoh

Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your help. I will research all the different kinds of vitamin C DIY and make the one that suits me best. I basically need one that is good for acne and acne scars, perhaps add in some msm or hyaluronic acid.

Which site has the best shipping rate to Canada or are they all pretty similar? Will spend all day tomorrow researching this stuff and purchasing it so it can be shipped out on Monday and hopefully it will arrive around the same time as my LED's I purchased.

As for tonight, going to watch the game at a friend's. Go Canucks Go!
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
dgoh wrote:
Thanks for your help. I will research all the different kinds of vitamin C DIY and make the one that suits me best. I basically need one that is good for acne and acne scars, perhaps add in some msm or hyaluronic acid.

Which site has the best shipping rate to Canada or are they all pretty similar? Will spend all day tomorrow researching this stuff and purchasing it so it can be shipped out on Monday and hopefully it will arrive around the same time as my LED's I purchased.

As for tonight, going to watch the game at a friend's. Go Canucks Go!

Generally pretty similar. skinactives has the lowest shipping rate but they make up for it by overcharging the ingredients.

If you choose lotioncrafters, make sure you do not select UPS if you want to save on shipping.

Skin essential actives seems to be a popular one too.
iloveyouss
5% products discount

Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
I just started using nucelle mandelic acid, should I put the vitamin c on first or the mandelic acid? then moisturize??
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
iloveyouss wrote:
I just started using nucelle mandelic acid, should I put the vitamin c on first or the mandelic acid? then moisturize??

The only thing I know that interacts with vitamin c are copper peptides. You can apply mandelic acid first to dissolve the outer layer of skin so it makes it easier for the vitamin c to absorb. However, vitamin c (depending on which form you're using) needs a specific pH to allow optimal absorption so you may want to wait 20-30 minutes after applying mandelic acid before applying your serum. Then wait another 20-30 minutes before moisturizing.

I haven't done this from experience and I'm just telling you based on what my logic is telling me, so you might want to wait for someone who is more experienced than I am before going through with this regimen. Anyways, HTH
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
iloveyouss wrote:

Have you checked the DIY threads? there are a ton of recipes on there. Kassy had some very simple, basic recipes that I've made - no clogging (I have oily skin).
Skinceuticals in my opinion is one of the best. However my absolute fav C serum is from Cellbone.com
There prices are very, very good and they give freebies that are generous. I love this company.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
iloveyouss wrote:

I've always heard that Vit. C should be applied to clean, dry skin with nothing else on it.
tatsumaki
5% products discount

Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Would there be someone able to make a formula with

Vitamin A C E + FA + HA + DMAE

Those all seem like pretty potent skin care ingredients at right concentrations and wonder if a single serum would be able to be made with all those.
mp5808
5% products discount

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi and hats off to all you knowledgable gals, sometimes I feel like I am reading a foreign language when i am looking at the DIY recipes posted. I am totally new to this stuff I am interested in getting rid of stretchmarks. That is how i found out about DIY at first, after dermarolling I was suppose to apply a mixture made of distilled water and L-ascorbic(Vit C) So I ordered the L-ascorbic and after ordering found out that it may actually cause damage so instead i should use a VIt.C oil. Could someone please tell me how to make a good Vit. C oil for stretchmarks I would like to use some of the nice oils like blueberry etc. on lotioncrafters site. Also, any DIY recipes of what to do with all the L-Ascorbic I will be recieving don't really want to waste it.
PeachyShoes
5% products discount

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all!

Have been doing DIY for years, but not to this extent! (Yogurt mask, pumpkin mask, etc the easy stuff I guess Laughing )

Anyways, I REALLY want to make Vit C serum, because everytime I use fruits with Vit C, HUGE DIFFERENCE in my complexion!

I'm thinking about buying Vit C from Trader Joes. I saw that they have Vit C crystals, but I can't remember what kind. I think it was Absorbic Acid. I thought that was the recommended one, but now that I think about it... I think it was Whole Foods. (I've read too many pages on this thread.. I'm going crazy! Anxious )

I believe that absorbic acid is the one that doesn't penetrated and that I need to get L-absorbic acid.

Nonetheless, I got an amber glass bottle with a plastic dropper. I'm just wondering if it will react with the Vit C?

I recall that it will react with some essential oils, but I'm not going to add any (yet).

Thanks for all the hard work!!!
mp5808
5% products discount

Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Dgoh,

I know what you mean by shipping prices being really high. I am in Surrey BC so i can totally relate, but do u ever go across the border? You can actually get a post box in Bellingham for $10 a year and I believe $2.00 per shipment have ur stuff shipped there. Mailboxes Etc. And since most places ship free within the State you will be saving a ton of money.Hope this helps.
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi PeachyShoes
It is L-ascorbic acid that you need. Im also quite new to diying but I have learned sooo much from Kassy's DIY recipies.
I make her simple vit c serum ( vit c with water and a tiny bit of glycerin also her serum with ferulic acid, vit e, vit c, sea kelp and vit a)
Go to the huge DIY thread and it is all there thanks to Kassy and carekate.
HTH

5% products discount

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
I need to make a Vit C Oil for my strtchmarks. Can I mix Grapeseed & Sea buckthorn Oil with L-ascrobic acid does anyone know if that would work. Any replies will be greatly appreciated. Is L-Ascorbic acid and Vit C the same thing. I know L-ascorbic can be added to water but will it work in oils also or is there some other kind of vit c i will have to buy. Sorry for the questions I have checked the web and can only find DIY for VIt C. Serums nothing for vit c Oils Crying or Very sad .And I know if there is anywhere I can get a recipe of the oil it is at this forum all of you r so knowledgable here Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |