Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for getting back to me on this Skin Care Addict and Kassy! Having scoured about a dozen Health Food Stores for L-Ascorbic acid and being met by blank stares, I bought "Vitamin C Crystals". There are no ingredients on the bottle, other than to say "each gram contains 1000 mg of Vitamin C" Confused The expiry date is July 2010.

Anyhoooooo, I went ahead and made it this a.m. (after it sat overnight!). It applies perfectly - didn't feel any scratching on my skin, but that's probably due to the Vit E and Viterol. It did tingle (sting) for a couple of minutes after I applied it, which I took to be a good sign Very Happy
tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:16 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Sorry I didn't see this till now. I'm having a heck of a time with my 'watched topics' disappearing into thin air ... Crying or Very sad

Kassy - I've had the same problem with some of my watched topics (seems to be fixed now, fingers crossed), so I just saw today that you had answered a question I asked back in November about using avocado oil as a base for oil-soluble Vit. C. Just wanted to say a belated 'thanks.' Also, I made your C,E,Ferulic serum yesterday and it goes on beautifully - no SKB residue that I could tell. Thanks for all the work you've done on these recipes. Does anyone else find DIY strangely addicting?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:08 am      Reply with quote
I'm hooked as well 'tessera' ... Very Happy

I'm glad my recipe is working out for you... Have you noticed how it doesn't cause blackheads? It hadn't dawned on me till member after member brought it to my attention.. Wink

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
Tess,
Oh,thats a huge Very Happy yes on getting addicted to DIY goodies.
My computer was sick for a week and a half,cant believe how much I missed EDS and all the great ideas you all have.
sherly -hope you had sucess with your Vit C recipe.
Linda
tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I'm hooked as well 'tessera' ... Very Happy

I'm glad my recipe is working out for you... Have you noticed how it doesn't cause blackheads? It hadn't dawned on me till member after member brought it to my attention.. Wink

I didn't know about the blackhead issue - I've never used a C product before, because of the instability/short shelf life and expense of most commercial products. I'm glad to hear your serum won't cause blackheads! Now that I've taken care of the need for an anti-oxidant, my attention is turning inexorably toward STOP. I think I must have it.Rolling Eyes But that's another thread...

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:17 am      Reply with quote
dear all,
i am really looking forward to making my own vit c serum. thank you all for posting...
checked all the local drug stores, but they only carry vitamin c in formulas (for obvious reasons).$$$
searching the net, i found bio-alternatives which sells 1lb of ascorbic asid for $14.47
this is so much cheaper than l-ascorbic asid from bulkactives etc, that many people here seemed to order from. 8.82oz of l-asorbic asid from bulkactives is $31.50 - which is such a huge difference in price, that i'm left to wonder Confused hmhmhm

arent ascorbic and l-ascorbic the same acids?
could there be such a dramatic difference in quality?

please, advice oh wise ones
tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:18 am      Reply with quote
bkurant wrote:
dear all,
i am really looking forward to making my own vit c serum. thank you all for posting...
checked all the local drug stores, but they only carry vitamin c in formulas (for obvious reasons).$$$
searching the net, i found bio-alternatives which sells 1lb of ascorbic asid for $14.47
this is so much cheaper than l-ascorbic asid from bulkactives etc, that many people here seemed to order from. 8.82oz of l-asorbic asid from bulkactives is $31.50 - which is such a huge difference in price, that i'm left to wonder Confused hmhmhm

arent ascorbic and l-ascorbic the same acids?
could there be such a dramatic difference in quality?

please, advice oh wise ones

The "L" refers to the isomer of the molecule. I'm not a cosmetic chemist, so I don't know what effect using a particular isomer has on the anti-oxidative and absorbent properties of Vit. C. However, I think it's safe to advise you to use the form of the acid on which the research has been done (L-ascorbic) and well as what is called for in the DIY recipe. I got 4.4 oz of L-ascorbic (which is plenty) from makingcosmetics.com for $14.95. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
Cross posting from the 'Dr Kassy' thread, for my DIY buddies .. Very Happy

Vitamin C Serum (Just about 20%)

1 tsp LAA
½ tsp MAP
¼ tsp Ferulic Acid
¼ tsp Vitamin E oil (or whatever other oil you use with high E content)
3 tsp H20 (distilled)
1 tsp SKB
½ tsp Glycerin
½ tsp Hyaluronic Acid
5 gtts Kukui Oil (optional, but supposedly it helps with melasma + hyperpigmentation)

To mix, use 2 shot glasses again;

#1 glass

LAA + MAP stirred into H20, then add Ferulic Acid and stir after the C has dissolved. (It will take about 15 or 20 minutes!) Stir frequently!

#2 glass

Add all other ingredients, stir well. Now add contents together a little at a time, stirring constantly.

Pour into a dark bottle and shake well.

ETA: .. THDA can be substituted for the MAP, but that would need to be added to glass #2 in the oil phase.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:47 am      Reply with quote
Hi there I just found this thread yesterday and I can't tell you all how much I appreciate the vastness of knowledge that can be found here!

After reading the thread, I still have a few questions:

If LAA is so unstable, wouldn't it be best to mix a fresh "batch" daily-- as in mixing a pinch of LAA with water or cream in palm of hand? I was wondering why nobody has brought this up yet... Thanks.

And what is MSM? I noticed Kassy_A advised another member who is around my age to take this daily, and I am curious as to what it really is

And just to be clear on the verdict, LAA is DIFFERENT from Ascorbic Acid, correct? When going to health food store. I need to look for L-Ascorbic Acid in crystal/powder form right?

Can't wait to make my own vit C!! Thanks you all very very much!! Very Happy Very Happy
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:49 am      Reply with quote
Can someone (Kassy?) explain to me why people complain about Vitamin C causing blackheads? Blackheads are basically pores that are filled with sebum or debris that has oxidised (in other words, turned black). So, does this mean that Vitamin C blocks pores? - BTW I have never found this to be the case.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
swan; MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) is a natural sulfur compound that helps support joint function, skin, hair and nails... It's a great supplement to take orally, and if you get pure OptiMSM (no fillers or exipients), you can add it into DIY creams/lotions/serums also. (I recommend "Nature's Way Pure OptiMSM Vcaps")

I only buy my LAA from Skinactives, TPF or other DIY sites. Other's buy it in health food stores, but I personally would not. It needs to be pure L-Ascorbic Acid, without any fillers or additives, and it needs to be fresh.

If you put the right ingredients, at the right percentages in your C serum, it will remain stable if you keep it away from heat and light.. (Always try to incorporate C, E + Ferulic Acid) Retail serums oxidize quickly because they are already old, the day they are opened.. I have yet to have a C serum oxidize on me before it's used up, and it's likewise for everyone I've gifted as well.

Keliu; It's my personal belief that we do not experience blackheads, because our C serums are as fresh as possible.. Buying C serum retail, you never know how long it has sat on a shelf etc.. (And we know better than to believe what the retailers say about; "Don't worry if it turns yellow or brown, it's still stable"... Shock Shock Shock (But even if ours did go off, we would have no problem pitching it, at a buck or two an ounce .. Laughing

Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

Keliu; It's my personal belief that we do not experience blackheads, because our C serums are as fresh as possible.. Buying C serum retail, you never know how long it has sat on a shelf etc.. (And we know better than to believe what the retailers say about; "Don't worry if it turns yellow or brown, it's still stable"... Shock Shock Shock (But even if ours did go off, we would have no problem pitching it, at a buck or two an ounce .. Laughing

I also think that the freshest/best stabilized vitamin C serums are less likely to cause blackheads.

Some years ago I was using Cellex-C High Potency serum, the most unstable vitamin C serum I have ever seen. It had an orange colour from day 1 and was continuously turning darker the following weeks. I am not prone to blackheads, but this oxidized serum caused me a huuuge amount of blackheads. My nose could be mistaken for a strawberry at the worst.

Later on I have been using stabilized serums like SkinCeuticals and SkinMedica and don't get blackheads anymore.

So yes, I do think freshness plays a part.

Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Kassy!

Umm, I'm still a little fuzzy on a couple things and was wondering if you can clarify further:

Is MSM an ORAL supplement that is sold at health food stores, but that you're suggesting it should be MIXED into skin care and applied TOPICALLY rather than INGESTED orally?

And personally I'm I bit lazy to prepare a 'batch' of vit C; is there anything specifically wrong with mixing a pinch of LAA crystals with water in my palm everyday?

Thank you!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:06 am      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:
Thanks Kassy!

Umm, I'm still a little fuzzy on a couple things and was wondering if you can clarify further:

Is MSM an ORAL supplement that is sold at health food stores, but that you're suggesting it should be MIXED into skin care and applied TOPICALLY rather than INGESTED orally?

And personally I'm I bit lazy to prepare a 'batch' of vit C; is there anything specifically wrong with mixing a pinch of LAA crystals with water in my palm everyday?

Thank you!

I take MSM as a supplement (1000mg/day) and also incorporate it into a cream/serum now and then.. (I just empty a capsule into the water phase of what I'm making.. It dissolves instantly if you have the one without fillers or exipients.)

Several members do the daily mixing of LAA/H20, and I see no harm in it.. Personally, I just enjoy having more than that in my serum, for the synergistic effect it affords. Whenever possible, I incorporate A, B, C + E vitamins into whatever I am making.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Each of our cells is made up of water as well as lipids, it is important to nourish the whole cell. IMO any cream/lotion/serum needs to incorporate water and oil, to get that job done.

sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:10 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Vitamin C Serum (Just about 20%)

1 tsp LAA
½ tsp MAP
¼ tsp Ferulic Acid
¼ tsp Vitamin E oil (or whatever other oil you use with high E content)
3 tsp H20 (distilled)
1 tsp SKB
½ tsp Glycerin
½ tsp Hyaluronic Acid
5 gtts Kukui Oil (optional, but supposedly it helps with melasma + hyperpigmentation)

What is MAP? SKB? Kukui Oil???

Thanks for the explaination. I am slow.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:04 am      Reply with quote
sherryf13500 wrote:
What is MAP? SKB? Kukui Oil???

Thanks for the explaination. I am slow.

MAP: Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (MAP is a water soluble vitamin C derivative, which is stable in aqueous solution, and can be easily formulated in skin care products.)

SKB: Sea Kelp Bioferment (Is a marine botanical extract in a vicous base, that nourishes + softens the skin, and when mixed with other actives makes a lovely serum.)

Kukui Oil: (Contains high levels of the essential fatty acids linoleic and alpha-linolenic + anti-oxidants. This oil is readily absorbed into the skin, and has wonderful healing + nourishing qualities.)

fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:42 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

Several members do the daily mixing of LAA/H20, and I see no harm in it.. Personally, I just enjoy having more than that in my serum, for the synergistic effect it affords. Whenever possible, I incorporate A, B, C + E vitamins into whatever I am making.

Aha I see!

What is the chemical name for the vitamin B that you use, or do you just buy B-complex capsules and break them open? And what does it do? I already use Tazorac, that's a vitamin A right?

And about ferulic acid, do you buy it in liquid or powder form? Thanks again Kassy!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:58 am      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:

What is the chemical name for the vitamin B that you use, or do you just buy B-complex capsules and break them open? And what does it do? I already use Tazorac, that's a vitamin A right?

And about ferulic acid, do you buy it in liquid or powder form? Thanks again Kassy!

Vitamin B3 - niacin, niacinamide, nicotinic acid

Vitamin B5 - panthenol

Vitamin A - retinol, retinyl palmitate

Ferulic Acid - comes in powder form

All are available at DIY websites.. A supplement won't do, because of the fillers..

Just an FYI; you guys are killing me with questions that have already been addressed in a couple of threads (repeatedly).. Please read a few pages before posting.. Also, if you go to skinactives, garden of wisdom, or any of the DIY sites, you can easily find all this info and much more... Smile I am always happy to help, but I am by no means an authority.

tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Kassy, a quick question on layering actives. I've been applying your C,E,Ferulic serum, waiting 15 minutes, then applying my Obagi Clear (basically HQ), waiting 5 minutes and applying the Vivite Vibrance. Are you aware of any information on how much time the C serum needs to bond to the skin before layering? I don't want to disrupt its function after going to the trouble of making it. (I'm hoping it doesn't need an hour, because my morning routine takes long enough as it is. Rolling Eyes ) Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
I would keep the next layer to a 'minimum' of 15 or 20 minutes before layering. (Also, massage the C serum in well, one area at a time, which will help it penetrate quicker!)

LAA, formulated in an optimum ph serum, (3.5 or below) takes one hour to completely penetrate the skin layers.

tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I would keep the next layer to a 'minimum' of 15 or 20 minutes before layering. (Also, massage the C serum in well, one area at a time, which will help it penetrate quicker!)

LAA, formulated in an optimum ph serum, (3.5 or below) takes one hour to completely penetrate the skin layers.

Sounds good, thanks so much.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Just an FYI; you guys are killing me with questions that have already been addressed in a couple of threads (repeatedly).. Please read a few pages before posting.. Also, if you go to skinactives, garden of wisdom, or any of the DIY sites, you can easily find all this info and much more... Smile I am always happy to help, but I am by no means an authority.

Thank you Kassy! And sorry for taking up your time! It's just that the EDS search function isn't very good at weeding out the stuff you don't need...
tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:50 am      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:
Thank you Kassy! And sorry for taking up your time! It's just that the EDS search function isn't very good at weeding out the stuff you don't need...

Fat Swan - I'd like to pass on a search technique that someone else on the forum talked about, which works like a dream. Do an Advanced Search in Google with the terms you want AND at the bottom on the search page, where it says "Search Within A Site Or Domain," putwww.essentialdayspa.com/forum

This will get you where you need to go.

BTW Kassy, I did this for the layering of actives before asking you about it, but there isn't much info... Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:18 am      Reply with quote
tessera wrote:
I'd like to pass on a search technique that someone else on the forum talked about, which works like a dream. Do an Advanced Search in Google with the terms you want AND at the bottom on the search page, where it says "Search Within A Site Or Domain," putwww.essentialdayspa.com/forum

This will get you where you need to go.

OMG that is so cool!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!! I'm gonna spend all night googling EDS forum!

Yippeeeeeee
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
lilsigngrl wrote:
Once you wash and tone in the morning, how do you apply your vitamin C? And which brand do you use to make it yourself? Do you mix it in a moisturizer (base) or just buy and apply?
At night, you cleanse & tone and then, which first? RA or CP? Do you mix either one of those with moisturizers or do you buy a base? And do you need to let one sink in before you can apply the other or apply them consecutively?
One final question: once you get started on an "actives" routine like this, how long do you keep it up?
I have a BQ (LOVE IT!) and just bought a Dermal Tone after reading many rave reviews on this and other sites. Although I'm only 30, I'm trying to get rid of some sags after significant weight loss and am just hoping to make my skin look it's best (who isn't?).
Thanks, again, for all the great advice! Very Happy Very Happy

My recipe for Vitamin C is:

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid powder (available from Skinactives, Bulkactives etc.)
3 tsp distilled water
1 tsp glycerin
1/4 tsp Vit E oil

Apply after toning in the am. Wait 30mins, if possible, before continuing with moisturiser and sunscreen.

At night I use a prescription strength Retin-A, wait one hour then apply CP and follow up with emu oil as a moisturiser. Retin-A should also be applied to dry skin. As for the use of actives - I think a long-term approach is needed to see any results.

Keliu - I am not doubting you, but how did you find out that you have to wait 30 min before applying anything else after Vit C??

Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |