Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
havana8

Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Keliu wrote:
lilsigngrl wrote:
Once you wash and tone in the morning, how do you apply your vitamin C? And which brand do you use to make it yourself? Do you mix it in a moisturizer (base) or just buy and apply?
At night, you cleanse & tone and then, which first? RA or CP? Do you mix either one of those with moisturizers or do you buy a base? And do you need to let one sink in before you can apply the other or apply them consecutively?
One final question: once you get started on an "actives" routine like this, how long do you keep it up?
I have a BQ (LOVE IT!) and just bought a Dermal Tone after reading many rave reviews on this and other sites. Although I'm only 30, I'm trying to get rid of some sags after significant weight loss and am just hoping to make my skin look it's best (who isn't?).
Thanks, again, for all the great advice! Very Happy Very Happy

My recipe for Vitamin C is:

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid powder (available from Skinactives, Bulkactives etc.)
3 tsp distilled water
1 tsp glycerin
1/4 tsp Vit E oil

Apply after toning in the am. Wait 30mins, if possible, before continuing with moisturiser and sunscreen.

At night I use a prescription strength Retin-A, wait one hour then apply CP and follow up with emu oil as a moisturiser. Retin-A should also be applied to dry skin. As for the use of actives - I think a long-term approach is needed to see any results.

Keliu - I am not doubting you, but how did you find out that you have to wait 30 min before applying anything else after Vit C??

Info on pH and product application wait times
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18360&highlight=ph

Smile
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
thanks havana8. I contacted Kassy also and she concurs. Appreciate your help, both.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Keliu - I am not doubting you, but how did you find out that you have to wait 30 min before applying anything else after Vit C??

There's a zillion posts on various wait times for various products floating around here somewhere. Perhaps if you do an advanced Google search on "wait times for actives" and put Essential Day Spa into the wanted website you may find it.

It all has something to do with normalising the Ph of the skin before layering the next product.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
fawnie wrote:

There's a zillion posts on various wait times for various products floating around here somewhere. Perhaps if you do an advanced Google search on "wait times for actives" and put Essential Day Spa into the wanted website you may find it.

It all has something to do with normalising the Ph of the skin before layering the next product.

The link is the second post above yours. Smile
tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
Info on pH and product application wait times
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18360&highlight=ph
Smile

Havana8 - Thank you for that thread information. I did my search based on "layering actives" and wouldn't have ever come up with "wait times."

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:22 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Havana8!!

I have a question I wonder if someone here could answer, since the pH thread is from a few years back:

Tangal wrote about how pH is irrelevant when using retinoids (vit A) or vit c as an antioxitant as opposed to as a skin treatment. My question is, what's the difference?

Thanks!
Lutrell

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hey everyone, I have been following this site for a while and this is my first post!

I just wanted to ask a question about PH levels. On the a couple sites I saw they seemed to suggest that to get the proper affect of vitamin C serums the Ph needed to be close to almost 2.0 PH to get more than just the antioxident properties of C. I'm specifically referring to the skinbiology page about CPs and Vitamin C serums and Tangals post on PH levels.

I am wondering because Kassay said one of her formulas tested out at around 3.3 ph and was curious, one, if there is a way to lower the PH to get closer to 2.0 and two, if that is even something I should do? And maybe you all have a different view on PH levels I should take in before diving into making my first C serum.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
Lutrell wrote:
Hey everyone, I have been following this site for a while and this is my first post!

I just wanted to ask a question about PH levels. On the a couple sites I saw they seemed to suggest that to get the proper affect of vitamin C serums the Ph needed to be close to almost 2.0 PH to get more than just the antioxident properties of C. I'm specifically referring to the skinbiology page about CPs and Vitamin C serums and Tangals post on PH levels.

I am wondering because Kassay said one of her formulas tested out at around 3.3 ph and was curious, one, if there is a way to lower the PH to get closer to 2.0 and two, if that is even something I should do? And maybe you all have a different view on PH levels I should take in before diving into making my first C serum.

Welcome to the forum Lutrell.. Very Happy

L-Ascorbic Acid must be formulated at 3.5 pH or below to penetrate deep into the skin... It doesn't have to be lower than that, and 2.0 would be much too irritating to the skin on a daily basis.

Keeping it between 3 and 3.5 pH is optimal for LAA.

There are several forms of vitamin C (LAA, MAP + THDA) To my knowledge LAA is the only one that is responsible for collagen synthesis, and works at the cellular level. The others are nice, but LAA is the worker bee of C.. Laughing (Retail manufacturers would have you believe otherwise, and that all C derivatives are created equal, but that's simply not the case.)

I read a study (and posted it somewhere) that showed a synergistic effect when a formula of 10% LAA, 7% THDA, + 1% Vitamin E were formulated together... I posted a recipe somewhere for this.

Whenever you can get 2 or 3 anti-oxidants working together in an oil and water formulation, you will have a more stable product, that will treat the lipid as well as water parts of the cell. The best combination to accomplish this is LAA, Ferulic Acid, and Vitamin E + A.

You will find many great recipe's for all manner of DIY goodies here at EDS.. Have fun!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi sorry to bother you guys here again, but I just had a flash of brilliance: is it possible to mix vit C with HA? Would that alter pH? This way I could kill 2 birds with one stone and eliminate a step from my routine... Very Happy
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:46 am      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:
Hi sorry to bother you guys here again, but I just had a flash of brilliance: is it possible to mix vit C with HA? Would that alter pH? This way I could kill 2 birds with one stone and eliminate a step from my routine... Very Happy

HA's pH is around 7 (if I recall right)... You can use a small amount of HA in a C formulation, but never just on it's own.. Shock

If you use HA for any recipe, keep it at 1% of the entire formulation.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks KAssy! What do you mean not on its own? Don't PSF and GoW make pure HA serums?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
If there's too much HA in the vitamin C serum, the pH is too high.

HA can be used on its own. On its own =1% technically. The pure PSF and GoW serums are 1%.

fat_swan wrote:
Thanks KAssy! What do you mean not on its own? Don't PSF and GoW make pure HA serums?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:02 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
If there's too much HA in the vitamin C serum, the pH is too high.

HA can be used on its own. On its own =1% technically. The pure PSF and GoW serums are 1%.

fat_swan wrote:

Oh ok I see.. Idea Thought "pure" meant 100%

Thank you!
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:34 am      Reply with quote
Do you mean this is the same compound found in 302 and Remergent? Or do you mean lotioncrafter is the wholesale source for 302 and Remergent? Confused
Thanks!

bethany wrote:
TanyaB wrote:
Numie,

Where did you buy "tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate in an oil base"? I want it too Very Happy

TIA

Nimue bought hers at lotioncrafter.com...I bought some too, but haven't mixed it up yet. Thus is the same form of Vit C that is in 302 products, Remergent, etc.

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/store/Tetrahexyldecyl-Ascorbate-pr-16382.html
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:55 am      Reply with quote
Kassy, sorry to bother you again Embarassed

You mentioned somewhere along this thread that one of the reasons (among many) that you chose to incorporate Viterol A in your vit C serum was because of it's nano-something delivery system. But I am having trouble understanding how that could enhance penetration/absorption of the other ingredients you mix in. From what I understand, a delivery system is the way specific ingredients are formulated to reach deep into the skin, right? So the Viterol A 'mix of ingredients' is encapsulated into tiny tiny nano sized bits than can cross the skin barrier. So if everything is already 'encapsulated' into nano pieces or whatever, how would that boost absorption of the other stuff (c, e, ferulic acid etc)?

Am I making sense? Thanks!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
At this point it's not even worth figuring out because DS Laboratories has discontinued that version of Viterol A Laughing

fat_swan wrote:

You mentioned somewhere along this thread that one of the reasons (among many) that you chose to incorporate Viterol A in your vit C serum was because of it's nano-something delivery system. But I am having trouble understanding how that could enhance penetration/absorption of the other ingredients you mix in. From what I understand, a delivery system is the way specific ingredients are formulated to reach deep into the skin, right? So the Viterol A 'mix of ingredients' is encapsulated into tiny tiny nano sized bits than can cross the skin barrier. So if everything is already 'encapsulated' into nano pieces or whatever, how would that boost absorption of the other stuff (c, e, ferulic acid etc)?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
At this point it's not even worth figuring out because DS Laboratories has discontinued that version of Viterol A Laughing

fat_swan wrote:

Very true!

My thought prior to that, was the delivery system would take the rest of the ingredients I put in there, along for the ride.. Laughing

Just so you guys know, I'm learning as I go along with the rest of ya.. Very Happy

fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:
Thanks Havana8!!

I have a question I wonder if someone here could answer, since the pH thread is from a few years back:

Tangal wrote about how pH is irrelevant when using retinoids (vit A) or vit c as an antioxitant as opposed to as a skin treatment. My question is, what's the difference?

Thanks!

I believe she means anti-oxidant v. exfoliant in this case. Please correct me if I am wrong.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:48 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Nimue wrote:

fat_swan wrote:

Very true!

My thought prior to that, was the delivery system would take the rest of the ingredients I put in there, along for the ride.. Laughing

Just so you guys know, I'm learning as I go along with the rest of ya.. Very Happy

Oh I see, thanks. So Dr Kassy, are you substituting something new for the Viterol A in you Vit C serum recipe?
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
They arent doing the Viterol A anymore. I liked that stuff.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:
So Dr Kassy, are you substituting something new for the Viterol A in you Vit C serum recipe?

Nope, I'm done with Viterol A. I posted a new C recipe on pg 8 (one page back!) including all instructions.. You can leave out whatever active doesn't suit you.

I've been using it for 2 weeks, and will be sticking with it.. It's nice!

sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy, is it because you don't like the V.A? Do you think your vit. c recipe is as good as the VitA.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
sherryf13500 wrote:
Kassy, is it because you don't like the V.A? Do you think your vit. c recipe is as good as the VitA.

You've obviously not seen all this debacle:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31623&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=175

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
sherryf13500 wrote:

You've obviously not seen all this debacle:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31623&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=175

Amen to that.
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:53 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
fat_swan wrote:
So Dr Kassy, are you substituting something new for the Viterol A in you Vit C serum recipe?

Nope, I'm done with Viterol A. I posted a new C recipe on pg 8 (one page back!) including all instructions.. You can leave out whatever active doesn't suit you.

I've been using it for 2 weeks, and will be sticking with it.. It's nice!

Oh whoops totally didn't remember reading that. Sorry for my redundant questions, and thank you!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |