Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi every one,
I've read this entire thread and I'm anxious to try my first DIY Vit. C serum.
I don't have all ingredients on hand and I'm wondering if I can substitute Emu oil instead of glycerin.
jencarl
5% products discount

Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
About 3 years ago I purchased LAA from Personal Formulator. I stopped using it, but would like to start again. It's been in the container, in a box, in the closet of my air conditioned house...is it still good or should I toss it? TIA!
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:30 am      Reply with quote
I did it Laughing My first DIY 15% C, E + Ferulic recipe that Dr. Kassy. posted.
I realized at the last moment that I didn't have vodka and substituted 1/2 tsp. of witch hazel. I hope this was OK.

Jencarl, Kassy hasn't been reading this thread lately... I'm no expert, but if your LAA is not formulated I would think it's still good.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:10 am      Reply with quote
Bellezza wrote:
I did it Laughing My first DIY 15% C, E + Ferulic recipe that Dr. Kassy. posted.
I realized at the last moment that I didn't have vodka and substituted 1/2 tsp. of witch hazel. I hope this was OK.

Jencarl, Kassy hasn't been reading this thread lately... I'm no expert, but if your LAA is not formulated I would think it's still good.

Vodka (alcohol) is used to dissolve the Ferulic Acid - if you've managed to dissolve it in Witch Hazel, then I'm sure your serum will be fine.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:02 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Keliu, yes it did dissolve. This serum is very liquidy. I was tempted to add some MSM but I didn't want to mess with the recipe.

BTW, can you tell me what I can add to my Olay Remergent in order to achieve some firming? I don't want a long list of ingredients. Is DMAE firming?

Thank you so much!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:08 am      Reply with quote
Bellezza wrote:
Thank you Keliu, yes it did dissolve. This serum is very liquidy. I was tempted to add some MSM but I didn't want to mess with the recipe.

BTW, can you tell me what I can add to my Olay Remergent in order to achieve some firming? I don't want a long list of ingredients. Is DMAE firming?

Thank you so much!

Yes, DMAE is supposed to make the skin firmer and tighter.

5% products discount

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:54 am      Reply with quote
I haven't read this entire theread but I mean to...

In the mean time I'm already purchasing ingredients to make my C serum...

Kassy can I add pomegranate seed oil extract to the C serum without raising the pH too much? What about Green tea extract? (I am getting all my stuff from Skinactives...)

Skinactives only has Ascorbic Acid. Is this the same thing?

Thank you in advance for your help. I am so excited to start making my own stuff and have baby skin like Kassy Wink
jencarl
5% products discount

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Bellezza wrote:

Thanks! I'm going to get mixing!!!
micka686
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:35 am      Reply with quote
A question for all Canadian ladies:

Where do you buy the ingredients, especially L-Ascobic Acid, to make the Vitamin C serum??
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Please forgive me.. My watched topics hasn't worked in 9 months, and it's easy to lose track of some topics.. Crying or Very sad

jencarl; Most products/actives or the like have a shelf life of 18 months when closed, as far as I know.. If I were you I would toss the old stuff and get a new 4oz batch of LAA.. (The price is certainly right!)

Belleza; I answered your DMAE question on the other thread. Anyhoo, just keep it at 5% of your total formulation. As for the C serum, keep it simple and just go by the recipe.. More ingredients aren't better when it comes to 'C', and can and will throw the ph off.. What I've posted has tested out at 3.5 ph or less, for anything else you are on your own..

prettyarmor; Again, I'd suggest making the vitamin C recipe as I've posted them.. Keep the other great actives for your creams and lotions. Regarding green tea extract; about a year ago when I was researching how to go about DIY stuff, I wrote an email to a chemist asking about incorporating GTE into C serum, and he said NOT to.. I don't remember what his reason was though .. Confused

keliu; When are you going to post some recipe's for us to try ... Very Happy (It's lonely being the only one.. Sad )

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
prettyarmor
5% products discount

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much.

You are much appreciated around here and I am quickly seeing why. Bless you!
jencarl
5% products discount

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
OK So I'm going to take Kassy's advice and buy new LAA. I also want to buy the rest of the ingrediants for the pg 8 serum, but I'm having a hard time finding them, particularly the ferulic acid. I tried to search through the list of DIY internet stores that is stickied, but I can't find a store that has everything (or at least most) of what I need. I would like to purchase from as few places as possible to save on shipping. I need LAA, MAP, ferulic acid, Vit E, and Hyaluronic Acid. Does anyone know if there is a place I could get it all from? Thanks again! Jennifer
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Jen, you can get all of that at Skinactives..

At the top of the page there is 'product catalogue' with everything listed alphabetically.. Just click and read through it for what you are looking for..

I wonder if I could fill a 'shopping cart' for you, and post the link.. Let me try, and I'll be right back.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
prettyarmor
5% products discount

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know about all of it but I got my ferulic acid from Skinactives...

I had to get my l-ascorbic from The Personal formulator.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
Drats! (I learned that from Bethany.. Laughing ), it won't let me fill the cart without signing in..

Here's the product list starting from the A's, just read through it for the ingredients you want.. They don't have plain old vitamin E, but I highly recommend the Antioxidant Booster) which you can substitute very nicely (Only 2 or 3 drops to a 1oz formula!)

If you still have a problem, let me know..

You're looking for these items;

Ascorbic Acid (I haven't used this, and don't know if it's the same as L-AA, I think it is though.)
Antioxidant Booster
Ferulic Acid
Hyaluronic Acid
Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate

Ugh! I think I have it all in the 'cart'.. Let's see if it works!

http://www.skinactives.com/cart/default.aspx

Yay, it worked...

If you want to add more to it click on 'product catalog', then 'quick purchase products'..

Hope that works out for you!

ETA: If I haven't confused you to the point where you're throwing your hands in the air, I just want to let you know you can get all of this at http://www.thepersonalfomulator.com and also http://www.gardenofwisdom.com (Both of these places have LAA)

jencarl
5% products discount

Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
I think I'll give them a call about the LAA. Thanks for all your hard work Kassy...but the cart is empty Smile
Skinashush

Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Just made my first batch of C serum recently.Question?????
The C crystals seem to gather somewhat at the bottom of my bottle. I am using C that has been ground up with my mortar and pestle.I shake it before applying and it seems to be working well but I am wondering how companies like Skinceuticals keep their C from gathering at the bottom????
Thanks
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
keliu; When are you going to post some recipe's for us to try ... Very Happy (It's lonely being the only one.

The only other serum I make (besides Vitamin C Serum) is one with Glucosamine and Niacinamide:

VERSION A – Feb 29/09

G & N Serum 1oz
½ tsp. Glucosamine (5%)
¼ tsp. Niacinamide (2.5%)
5 tsp. Distilled water
1 tsp. Glycerin

I'm looking for a recipe for DMAE - don't want to put it in a cream or SKB. Do you think I could just combine it with water and glycerin? Or what about if I added it to my Rosewater Toner?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu sorry for the dumb question but what does the G & N serum do for you? Looks easy and I only need one ingredient.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu, that serum looks very nice, I will make that when I order next... For the DMAE, if you don't mix it with a little SKB, it will liquify anything you add it to..

Try the glycerin to see if it stands up to it.

Alley, the "G" is Glucosamine and the "N" is Niacinamide.. Two great ingredients for the anti-aging arsenal.. Both are available at Skinactives!

Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Great I will add Niacinamide to my next order. Would that serum be a good one for the AALA?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
Great I will add Niacinamide to my next order. Would that serum be a good one for the AALA?

If you go to the Skinactives or Bulkactives websites you will find all the information on both Niacinamide and Glucosamine - it is recommended to use them together in a serum. And yes, it would be a good one to use with the AALS.

As for the confusion about Vitamin C and L-Ascorbic Acid being the same thing - I don't have a definite answer, but I think they are. Sinkactives calls their Vitamin C just that and I'm sure their powder would be the proper and recommended one for DIY purposes. However, I've tried both the Vitamin C powder from Skinactives and the L-Ascorbic Acid from Bulkactives - and I can tell you that the one from Bulkactives is much easier to dissolve.

I think I'm going to try adding the DMAE to Rosewater toner - that way I won't have to add yet another step to my already ridiculously long routine.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
is AALA "anti-aging l-ascorbic acid"?
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
vit c has to be l-ascorbic
what about vit e? thanks
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
bciw wrote:
vit c has to be l-ascorbic
what about vit e? thanks

Vitamin E is readily available at any pharmacy in either the bottle of 100% pure oil or in capsule form.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |