Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:00 am      Reply with quote
bciw wrote:
is AALA "anti-aging l-ascorbic acid"?

no it is the Anti Aging Light Stim - there is a 20 page thread titled as such. Interesting reading I signed up by the end of it Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
LAA ia L-ascorbic acid. Great stuff. For DIY. The AALS is great too.
Tigerlilly
5% products discount

Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
You know what I noticed? My Baush and Lomb Eye Relief for dry eyes is only glycerine and Propylene Glycol (and water I assume) so I decided what the heck, why not experiment? It's stuff I already have. I mised that with some powdered ascorbic acid from Whole Foods that I had on hand. And it works! I make it in very small batches, keep it in the 'fridge. No more yellow or orange oxidized serum, and I didn't have to wait for an online order to arrive. I didn't have any vitamin E oil, but plan to pick some up.
Anywho, just thought that was kind of interesting. And THANKS A MILLION, you guys! You have saved me a TON of money in vitamin C serum! Very Happy
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Tigerlilly wrote:
It's stuff I already have. I mised that with some powdered ascorbic acid from Whole Foods that I had on hand.

One note of caution - you cannot use food grade vitamin C powder on the face it has to be the type of Vitamin C Powder that is formulated for skin care. There's a thread somewhere about it - I'll see if I can find it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
keliu, is "synthetic" the right type for face then?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Tigerlilly wrote:
You know what I noticed? My Baush and Lomb Eye Relief for dry eyes is only glycerine and Propylene Glycol (and water I assume) so I decided what the heck, why not experiment? It's stuff I already have. I mised that with some powdered ascorbic acid from Whole Foods that I had on hand. And it works! I make it in very small batches, keep it in the 'fridge. No more yellow or orange oxidized serum, and I didn't have to wait for an online order to arrive. I didn't have any vitamin E oil, but plan to pick some up.
Anywho, just thought that was kind of interesting. And THANKS A MILLION, you guys! You have saved me a TON of money in vitamin C serum! Very Happy

Very interesting. Let us know how it continues to work for you. sis
havana8

Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Tigerlilly wrote:
It's stuff I already have. I mised that with some powdered ascorbic acid from Whole Foods that I had on hand.

One note of caution - you cannot use food grade vitamin C powder on the face it has to be the type of Vitamin C Powder that is formulated for skin care. There's a thread somewhere about it - I'll see if I can find it.

I think this post about food-grade Vitamin C might be the one you mean, Keliu...

ScotsLass wrote:
fat_swan wrote:
I just found this website

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1&zenid=i65a362cvfhu1qabk603iqdv14

It looks quite interesting to me because it is food-grade vit C. And for some reason I keep thinking if you can eat it it must be of decent quality, right...? I wonder if anyone can comment on this? Thanks

Hi fat_swan - There is no known difference between natural and synthetic L-ascorbic acid forms - both are very safe and effective. However, if you are formulating with vitamin c, then you do not want to use a food grade vitamin product. It will not contain the necessary concentrations and pH levels required for skin care application. Hence the need to use the synthetic variety that you can control in terms of desired concentration levels.

What is extremely effective is taking food grade Vitamin C (ester) orally every day (I prefer the powder form mixed into a shake) and using a synthetic Vitamin C serum with LAA that has a concentration between 15% to 17%. Your skin will only utilize LAA up to a concentration of 17%, anything higher than this is a waste of time and product. Keep in mind that a Vitamin C serum with LAA that is below 10% in concentration is not going to produce any great results either. Ideally, you want to start at 10% and work your way up to 15% (or maximum 17%).

To help deliver the bioavailablity of your food grade Vitamin C further, take it along with a MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) supplement. If you do a search on the forum, there are plenty of discussions about MSM if you'd like to learn more about it. I consume 3-4 grams of MSM powder along with 2 grams of Vitamin C (ester) powder mixed into a protein shake every day, and know without a doubt that these two supplements make a huge difference in how my skin looks. I highly, highly recommend that you try these supplements together and believe you cannot lose if you treat your body internally and externally with Vitamin C, since it is a vital component for the synthesis of collagen and your body cannot make Vitamin C on it's own.

Quote:
Natural vs. Synthetic Vitamin C

Natural and synthetic L-ascorbic acid are chemically identical and there are no known differences in their biological activities or bioavailability (42).

You might find this article informative regarding all the different forms of vitamin c .www.lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminC/

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=437967&highlight=food+grade+vitamin#437967
Tea
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
Please, ladies, I beseech you to advise me!

I am so frustrated! The LAA just does NOT dissolve completely.

Is the recipe really 1 tsp. LAA to 3 tsp. distilled water?

Do the crystals (I even tried mortar and pestal to crush LAA to powder first) really, completely dissolve, or is there some sediment?

I stir and stir and stir ceaselessly for up to half an hour and still...sediment. Brick wall

Am I being too literal about the LAA crystals dissolving completely? I think others have asked, but seemed to have resolved?

If really no sediment, what IS the secret?

Would love this to work and really want to make my own C serum.

Thank you!

ETA: I purchased the LAA powder from The Personal Formulator, so am using the same material, correct? Thx!
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Tea the LAA is a nightmare to dissolve. What I normally do is put the LAA and h2o in a shot glass about an hr before I am planning on getting all my stuff out. Every so often I swirl the glass. Even after an hr I can see some of the LAA in the bottom but it is minimal and is not exactly solid. As long as I do that step I have never had a grainy feel to my serums.

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Havana 8 - I looked everywhere and couldn't find that thread!

bciw - the above post that Havana so kindly found should answer all your questions. But to be sure that you are using the appropriate Vitamin C, why not just purchase it from a reputable seller of skin-care ingredients.

Teabags - as Alley suggested, just let it dissolve in the water for a little longer. I think I've said this before, but in my experience the L-Ascorbic Acid from Bulkactives dissolves much easier than others I've tried.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
Tea, I bought ascorbic Acid from SkinActives and it dissolved in distilled water in less than 10 min. I made my first DIY Vit. C serum with no problem.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
Tea, the LAA from personal formulator does take longer than 10-15 minutes! I have let mine do it's thing in the mineral water for about a half hour or so and then call it good. I always shake my C product before putting it on my face (always store in frig) and I've never had a difficulty with chunks. Second batch and I give it out. I think it actually continues to dissolve once the product is mixed.
Tea
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
Alley~ Yes! Thank you! It IS a nightmare to dissolve! Was starting to think I lived in a separate, LAA non water soluble universe! Laughing An hour later and it's still sediment-y! Surprised (About an 1/8th tsp. of solids.)

Keliu & Belleza~ Thank you for the recommendations re: LAA brands that are more user friendly!

Sister Sweets~ Thank you for the advice to carry on amd complete the serum. Will do and see how it goes.

Ladies, you're the BEST!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
Tea, I've tried LAA from several sources, and the one from TPF took the longest to dissolve for me also..

Perhaps the one you have is at the end of it's shelf life..hmm! It should dissolve eventually, so if yours isn't, something is amiss.. Are you using distilled water?

Here are 2 things you can do, if it doesn't completely dissolve in 45 minutes or so..

1. add a couple of drops of vodka or witch hazel, or....

2. you can sit the shot glass into a warm water bath for a few minutes, stirring constantly.

Just be sure the LAA is fully dissolved before adding phase 2, or you will have a gritty C serum.. (It will not dissolve after the fact!)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Tea
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy~ I would wonder about freshness, as well, but tried this a few years ago with the same results (using the same brand...d'oh!). TPF has the best price, so stuck with them.
Yes, absolutely, distilled water.

Do you use Bulkactives LAA? Just looked at Skinactives, but that appears not to be LAA, just AA?

I do really appreciate the input. If I need to start over with a different LAA, I will.

Thank you!!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Yep, bulkactives has a nice fine poweder LAA;

http://www.bulkactives.com/ascorbicacid.htm

I'd suggest the smallest which is enough to make 6oz worth.. So more than a year's worth for most of us.

IMHO buying LAA in a large size isn't a great idea, because once it's opened, you want to use the powder within a year for the best freshness. Also, once I've opened it, I keep it refrigerated, and also cover the jar in Reynolds Wrap for added protection.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Tea
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, Bulkactives LAA it is.

Thank you, Kassy, for the additional advice.

Your time and expertise are so appreciated! Angel
Tigerlilly
5% products discount

Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Tigerlilly wrote:

Very interesting. Let us know how it continues to work for you. sis

So far so good, just as good or better than the department store serums that I was paying 50-100 bucks a pop. I will be making a more sophisticated serum, to be sure, and thanks to those who are steering me away from the food grade VC...I'll look into it, but I'm telling you, I'm pleased as punch with my homemade serum! My skin looks and feels like silk on top of velvet! If I can improve that, BRING IT ON!... Cool
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
DIYers,

May i know if this thread is all there is to, to make my first vit c serum, that is with the detailed procedure + recipes ? could u pleas repeat it or point me to the specifics. thanks
prettyarmor
5% products discount

Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
So in the meantime of waiting for my LAA to come, I got my Skinactives goodies: SKB, growth hormone, green tea extract...

I made a body lotion and face cream. How should I put this? IT'S DISASTEROUS. The body lotion is runny like liquid and the face cream looks like mucous.

So when my LAA comes I'd like to make something useable. Can someone post a very simple vit c serum for someone whom obviously doesn't have a knack for this? Spell it out like I'm from another planet...

I have LAA, ferulic acid, amber bottles, I can get some vit e--I have that darn SKB too. I'd like to make something out of it that I don't despise. Any suggestions?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
Prettyarmor don't get discouraged, you can do it!!
The following recipe is Dr. Kassy's 15% Vit. C. I made it for the first time last week and I was so happy that I made a second batch for my daughter. I don't know how to post a link so I'll copy/paste.

What you need for 1oz C,E, Ferulic 15%;
- 2 glass shot glasses
- 1oz cobalt or amber dropper or pump bottle
- 1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) Vitamin E (equals 1%)
- .5% of Ferulic Acid (1 good pinch)
- 2 tsp SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
- 3 + 1/2 tsp of distilled water
- 1/2 tsp of vodka (don't laugh, you need it to dissolve the FA so it's not gritty, and it also keeps the ph low enough!)

What to do;

- In first shot glass, put 1 tsp C into the 3 + 1/2 tsp of distilled water. Put on the side, stirring occasionally till FULLY dissolved (This can be anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, so have patience.)

- In 2nd shot glass put in 1/2 tsp vodka, and sprinkle the FA in and mix. (Little formulator spatulas are great for this!) When it has dissolved fully, add in the vitamin E + SKB and stir it all up well.

- When the LAA has fully dissolved in the 1st shot glass, mix the contents of both glasses together, stir very well, and carefully pour into your 1oz bottle.

Keeping it in a cool dry, dark place, or fridge will keep it potent + stable!

Hope you like it!
=
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
Here is the link to the thread, where I have numerous recipe's, with explicit instructions for putting it together;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=30621

prettyarmor
5% products discount

Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Thanks guys.

I should be receiving that LAA any day now. I'll definitely let you know how the serum goes Shock <---(hopefully not like this)

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:05 am      Reply with quote
prettyarmor wrote:
So in the meantime of waiting for my LAA to come, I got my Skinactives goodies: SKB, growth hormone, green tea extract...

I made a body lotion and face cream. How should I put this? IT'S DISASTEROUS. The body lotion is runny like liquid and the face cream looks like mucous.

So when my LAA comes I'd like to make something useable. Can someone post a very simple vit c serum for someone whom obviously doesn't have a knack for this? Spell it out like I'm from another planet...

I have LAA, ferulic acid, amber bottles, I can get some vit e--I have that darn SKB too. I'd like to make something out of it that I don't despise. Any suggestions?

What exactly did you do? What ingredients together and in what order etc? Maybe we can salvage some of it.

5% products discount

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Well Alley, I opened up the box, then promptly went in to my bathroom with a teaspoon and a cup...

So I had a jar of pumpkin renewal cream from MyChelle and it was mostly gone. I threw in a heaping teaspoon of green tea extract and a couple teaspoons of SKB. Luckily I forgot my growth factor in the fridge so it was spared. The result: amber colored alien juice.

For the body "lotion" which is the consitency of chai latte: I used that Gold Bond lotion as a base, couple of heaps of SKB, heap of GTE, peach fragrance that came with the kit, and again growth factor still rests in fridge...

So I am one of thos natural cooks whom follows no recipe, but I am learning this same talent did not permeate my DIY skincare.

New start. I SWEAR I'm going to measure with this C serum. Thanks so much for the input!

Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |