Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 10:42 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Smile
I guess the real question is, what concentration of the liquid acid is called for. If you know the concentration you can make it up with powder...
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
generally HA is in concentrations bet'n 1 - 3%. I have no idea how you figure that out with regards to the powder. The liquid is measured in ml's; I couldn't be wrong but I don't think you can measure the powder in the same way. Kassy will probably know what to do.

ps I just noticed your post about the suppliers list, you will find a million things "you have to have"

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, don't i know it - re "million things I must have". Good thing is that I can't buy everything lol, otherwise I would.

Smile

re - concentration, a 3% concentration would mean you have 3:100 = e.g. 3 ml or gr of HA to 100 ml water.
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
You got it - you are on your way to DIY heaven.

5% products discount

Wed May 27, 2009 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thank EDS Ladies,

I have been following the information as closely as I can trying to take it ALL in..
The info on HA was interesting.. what what is the bottom line?? Where did you find the best place to buy the bottles? and do you use 15ml or 1 oz?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
You got it - you are on your way to DIY heaven.

Alley, Thanks!!!
I should be more of an attender on DIY, shouldn't I?Smile

I've been reading up on Loulou's facial exercises, and it just sounds fantastic, think I am going to get hooked on that too. Did you see her videos - I think they are great!
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
Ohhhhhh not to get off topic here but LouLou's book is the best $10 you will ever spend on your face!!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
I believe you, and you know why? Cause there is also a set of exercises for your eyes that can do vision correction for you without the surgery. It takes 10-30 minutes a day - you build it up gradually, and you can regain your eyesight back. My DH has been doing this for months and he stopped wearing glasses. He is still not completely 20/20, but he is way better than me, and his prescription was stronger than mine. COmplete off topic - sorry
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Oh, don't i know it - re "million things I must have". Good thing is that I can't buy everything lol, otherwise I would.

Smile

re - concentration, a 3% concentration would mean you have 3:100 = e.g. 3 ml or gr of HA to 100 ml water.

Hey zverenok!
You should come here more often!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 28, 2009 10:46 am      Reply with quote
You got it sister!Smile I am a loyal member :)
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:04 am      Reply with quote
What is the difference between

Vitamin E Acetate
http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/product_info.php?cPath=46&products_id=532&osCsid=rul29ikek3d9sugeet9edkrt20

and

Vitamin E /Dl-Alpha Tocopherol
http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/product_info.php?cPath=46&products_id=1244&osCsid=rul29ikek3d9sugeet9edkrt20

Which ones are you guys using?
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:02 am      Reply with quote
Just wondering, how do you store your serum?

I know that you have to use a dark container, but does it matter if your container is glass or plastic??

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:06 am      Reply with quote
Glass is always better, but guess you can use plastic too, if it's cosmetic grade.

Quote:

Vitamin E Acetate
http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/product_info.php?cPath=46&products_id=532&osCsid=rul29ikek3d9sugeet9edkrt20

and

http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/product_info.php?cPath=46&products_id=1244&osCsid=rul29ikek3d9sugeet9edkrt20

dl-alpha tocopherol acetate is the USP cosmetic grade vitamin E. It's soluble in alcohols and oils.

Vitamin E acetate is a dry, powder form of vitamin E that has no antioxidant power until the acetate is removed in the intestine as it is absorbed. The acetate form of vitamin E is called an ester. The ester of vitamin E is more stable to light and oxygen than
tocopherol. The shelf-life of the ester tocopheryl is greater than that of the unesterified tocopherol. Vitamin E acetate is a pleasant-tasting form of powdered vitamin E that can be eaten right off the spoon. Tocopheryl acetate is naturally converted by the body to vitamin E.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:20 am      Reply with quote
Natural Vitamin E (d-alpha-tocopheryl acetate) the body’s principle fat-soluble antioxidant has only recently been used as a topical antioxidant. There are numerous derivatives of Vitamin E. Those with ‘dl’ in the name are synthetic versions and are much cheaper. Those with ‘d-alpha’ denote the natural form, which the body metabolizes better than the synthetic version. Of all of the various forms, PureDeming products use the most Potent form of Vitamin E: d-alpha-tocopheryl acetate (tocopherols), which is already in active form and more effective for topical use...

http://puredeming.com/ingredients/
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:06 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Glass is always better, but guess you can use plastic too, if it's cosmetic grade.

Quote:

Vitamin E Acetate

and

dl-alpha tocopherol acetate is the USP cosmetic grade vitamin E. It's soluble in alcohols and oils.

Vitamin E acetate is a dry, powder form of vitamin E that has no antioxidant power until the acetate is removed in the intestine as it is absorbed. The acetate form of vitamin E is called an ester. The ester of vitamin E is more stable to light and oxygen than
tocopherol. The shelf-life of the ester tocopheryl is greater than that of the unesterified tocopherol. Vitamin E acetate is a pleasant-tasting form of powdered vitamin E that can be eaten right off the spoon. Tocopheryl acetate is naturally converted by the body to vitamin E.

I just bought this from Lotioncrafters:

Quote:
Vitamin E Acetate
CAS No. 7695-91-2; 58-95-7

Alpha tocopheryl acetate or Vitamin E Acetate is the stable form of Vitamin E most often used in cosmetic formulations for its skin care benefits. Supported by numerous studies over the past few years, Vitamin E Acetate has been shown to increase the enzyme activity in the skin, prevent free radical induced skin damage, increase epithelisation of surface wounds and increase the moisturisation of the horny layer. Add to the oil phase of formulations.

Recommended Usage Rate: 0.5 - 5%
Appearance: Clear yellow viscous oil

INCI: Tocopheryl Acetate

Seems like this is the oil version? I hope I got the right thing!

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/vitamin-e-acetate.html
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:34 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:

Smile

I saw that Kassy got hers at TPF.

http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/product_info.php?products_id=1188

Hyaluronic Acid

INCI: Sodium Hyaluronate

Sodium Hyaluronate is the sodium salt of Hyaluronic Acid. It is a biopolymer produced by fermentation. It is supplied as a 1% water solution. Due to its natural skin-like properties, excellent water retentive capacity and high viscoelacticity, it is highly recommended for skin products, such as creams, lotions, sprays, lipsticks, etc. The recommended usage for skin care products is 0.25% to 2%

I bought my HA in powder form from lotioncrafters, its says on the site

1 gram of Hyaluronic Acid Powder will make 100 grams (3.53 ounces) of a 1% solution.

So I'm assuming for Kassy's recipe below

15% C, E + Ferulic Acid Serum, 1oz
1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Vitamin E Oil
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Hyaluronic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp H2O

I'm assuming I can take 1g, mix it with 100g water and use 1/3cc of that solution.

Is that right?
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
Natural Vitamin E (d-alpha-tocopheryl acetate) the body’s principle fat-soluble antioxidant has only recently been used as a topical antioxidant. There are numerous derivatives of Vitamin E. Those with ‘dl’ in the name are synthetic versions and are much cheaper. Those with ‘d-alpha’ denote the natural form, which the body metabolizes better than the synthetic version. Of all of the various forms, PureDeming products use the most Potent form of Vitamin E: d-alpha-tocopheryl acetate (tocopherols), which is already in active form and more effective for topical use...

http://puredeming.com/ingredients/

Really don't know how true this is, especially the pricing part:

NDA has dl-tocopherol more expensive than it's d-alpha version.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
bombshellbella wrote:
Just wondering, how do you store your serum?

I know that you have to use a dark container, but does it matter if your container is glass or plastic??

Bombshell I've been using glass jars with plastic screw lids, and after a few months the lids start breaking up. It occured to me recently that the acid may be eating the plastic away. The last batch I made I've used one with a glass lid.
havana8

Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:15 am      Reply with quote
re-posting for hoping4help

hoping4help wrote:
Hi Everyone! I'm so excited and yet kind of sad - I got some of my order today but not everything Sad So I have been looking around and trying to figure out what I can do with the L-Ascorbic Acid and Proplyene Glycol that came today.

Can some tell me if these measurements and precentages are right? I just want a very basic simple c serum and these are the only ingredients I have Sad

For a 12% C Serum use 1/4tsp L-Ascorbic Acid, 1/4tsp Proplyene Glycol, and 1 1/2tsp distilled water.

If I want to increase it to a 15% solution would 1/3tsp each of LAA and Glycol and 1 1/2tsp water do it?

And for a 19% solution would that be 1/2tsp each of LAA and Glycol with 1 1/2tsp water?

Thanks for the help everyone!
Akadia71

Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all,
First, thanks for the great thread. I've learned a lot from everybody.

I'm planning on making a Vit C serum, but I thought it would be good to use the Marine Nutrient Serum (MNS) from Skinactives as my base. Technically it should dissolve water soluble stuff. After reading the thread, I'm wondering if this was a mistake--will I be able to dissolve the LAA in the MNS?
I guess it's like asking, can you dissolve LAA in a solution that already hadthe SKB added to the distilled water first?
I got the LAA from Lotioncrafters, so it should be good...
It's all in the mail, so I can't actually do it yet.

Thanks, and nice to meet you all! Very Happy
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:38 am      Reply with quote
Akadia71 wrote:
Hi all,
First, thanks for the great thread. I've learned a lot from everybody.

I'm planning on making a Vit C serum, but I thought it would be good to use the Marine Nutrient Serum (MNS) from Skinactives as my base. Technically it should dissolve water soluble stuff. After reading the thread, I'm wondering if this was a mistake--will I be able to dissolve the LAA in the MNS?
I guess it's like asking, can you dissolve LAA in a solution that already hadthe SKB added to the distilled water first?
I got the LAA from Lotioncrafters, so it should be good...
It's all in the mail, so I can't actually do it yet.

Thanks, and nice to meet you all! Very Happy

Akadia welcome EDS and your new obsessive hobby of DIY. Wink

I think the LAA will dissolve in the MNS but I am not sure if it will work the same as our much less complicated c-serums. You would definitely have to check the PH once the LAA was added. I hope Kassy comes along and also answers your question.

Don't get me wrong the MNS looks great and Skinactives stuff is wonderful. You might want to consider putting that serum on after your c-serum has absorbed.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Hmm, that does sound like a good idea--the layering thing. Of course I'm probably going overboard trying to make the perfect serum...I think i'll do a test to see if the LAA dissolved in the MSN--if it's no go then I'll layer instead. I have the ferulic acid and THDA coming in the mail too.
I never thought I'd be so happy that my old chemistry classes are coming in handy!
Laughing
PanteraNera

Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:20 am      Reply with quote
I have one question: do you apply the serum also to the area around the eyes and under the eyes, or not? Embarassed
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:01 am      Reply with quote
PanteraNera wrote:
I have one question: do you apply the serum also to the area around the eyes and under the eyes, or not? Embarassed

PanteraNera welcome also. Very Happy I personally do put the serum under my eyes, all around except for the eye lids.
HTH

Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Alley Angel I'm trying to understand if it would be too much, I'll be 27y/o in July, is this too early to start using the C-serum? Rolling Eyes
I made a very basic version, just distilled water and vit. C. I'm not a fan of using too much cosmetics and I'm a bit afraid I might mess up my skin using something that's inappropriate for my age (and/or skin type), especially on the eye area. Silenced
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |