Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I think distilled H2O and LAA as a toner is great idea for you. C-serum is preventative so personally you can never start to early to fight mother nature.
As for the eye area again I don't think the c-toner you are talking about will do any harm only good in the long haul.
Just remember your sunscreen and you will look 27 forever!!! Wink

5% products discount

Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi
I've just started using a distilled water/vit C toner and I really like mixing it up daily (that way I know it's fresh!) I'm wondering though if it's possible to have the best of both worlds re the CE Ferulic combo, by creating a base of distilled water/ferulic/vit E, and adding a touch of the base to vit c powder each day. Does that sound like an idea that would work? Would SKB be a sufficient solvent?
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am      Reply with quote
What do you refrigerate and what can you keep out in the open?

I just got my first batch of items from skinactives (SUPER FAST SHIPPING!)

Im guessing these have to be refrigerated:
Vitamin E Oil
Hyaluronic Acid
SKB

And the final Vit C product. Am I right?
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:26 am      Reply with quote
tortoiseshell wrote:
Hi
I've just started using a distilled water/vit C toner and I really like mixing it up daily (that way I know it's fresh!) I'm wondering though if it's possible to have the best of both worlds re the CE Ferulic combo, by creating a base of distilled water/ferulic/vit E, and adding a touch of the base to vit c powder each day. Does that sound like an idea that would work? Would SKB be a sufficient solvent?

I think you will need a touch of vodka in the distilled water to dissolve the FA but just a drop or two. I would give it a try the worst that can happen is it might seem a bit gritty if the LAA doesn't dissolve completely.
You could add a tsp of SKB to the base to make it a little thicker.
ps you might want to check the PH of your 1st batch to make sure you are in the range. (Can't remember what that is off the top of my head right now Confused but it is in this thread somewhere)

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:08 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Here's my favotite C Serum (latest + greatest!)

15% C, E + Ferulic Acid Serum, 1oz

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Vitamin E Oil
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Hyaluronic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp H2O

What does 1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Vitamin E Oil mean?
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:24 am      Reply with quote
funkydory wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp H2O

funkydory go to your local drugstore pharmacy counter and ask for a 1 ml syringe (you don't need the needle) units in 10x's (numbers 1-10 on it). They will give you a little syringe and add the vitamin E and HA to the 3 on the syringe. That equals .3 of a ml/cc.

5% products discount

Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
tortoiseshell wrote:
Hi

I think you will need a touch of vodka in the distilled water to dissolve the FA but just a drop or two. I would give it a try the worst that can happen is it might seem a bit gritty if the LAA doesn't dissolve completely.
You could add a tsp of SKB to the base to make it a little thicker.
ps you might want to check the PH of your 1st batch to make sure you are in the range. (Can't remember what that is off the top of my head right now Confused but it is in this thread somewhere)

thanks - would the alcohol emulsify the vitamin E too? or will I need something else for that?
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
tortoiseshell the vitamin E will mix into the water just fine.
You could replace 1 tsp of H2O with vodka and then add the ferulic acid, in a couple of seconds, mix right into the water with LAA. I am pretty new to DIY but all the recipes from Kassy recommend adding the vodka to help dissolved the ferulic and LAA either together or separately.

HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
funkydory wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp H2O

funkydory go to your local drugstore pharmacy counter and ask for a 1 ml syringe (you don't need the needle) units in 10x's (numbers 1-10 on it). They will give you a little syringe and add the vitamin E and HA to the 3 on the syringe. That equals .3 of a ml/cc.

Thanks Alley!
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:44 am      Reply with quote
funkydory wrote:

You may go to eBay, Amazon .......to purchase a set of Nypro Mini Measuring Spoon.

1 pinch = 1/16 tsp = 0.31 cc/ml

Tad 1/4 tsp., dash 1/8 tsp., pinch 1/16 tsp., smidgen 1/32 tsp. And drop 1/64 tsp.

http://www.norpro.com/store/products/mini-measuring-spoons-5-pc-set

I got mine from eBay @ $5/set
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kassy,

I followed your latest recipe and made a 30ml of Vit C last Thu. Loving it...the first benefit I saw was that it lightened my skin.

After all, I feel it a bit dry. What can I do right now?

I have normal skin.

My guess is that the amount of Vit E & H.A. I put was a bit less than what you stated in the recipe. Is it the reason? I wanted to follow your recipe but the mini measuring spoon had not arrived when I did the DIY.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:41 am      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
Hi Kassy,

I followed your latest recipe and made a 30ml of Vit C last Thu. Loving it...the first benefit I saw was that it lightened my skin.

After all, I feel it a bit dry. What can I do right now?

I have normal skin.

My guess is that the amount of Vit E & H.A. I put was a bit less than what you stated in the recipe. Is it the reason? I wanted to follow your recipe but the mini measuring spoon had not arrived when I did the DIY.

Yes, putting less of either of those ingredients will definitely leave you drier.

If your skin is on the dry side normally, you can always reduce the H2O by 1/4 tsp, and replace that with 1/4 tsp of glycerin..

If you have glycerin on hand, just put 1/4 tsp in your serum, and it will make a big difference. (You can get a little bottle of pure glycerin in any drugstore, and it's cheap!)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
tortoiseshell
5% products discount

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
I have a digital scale that measures down to 0.001g - but how does that translate into cc/ml for small measurements?

Thanks
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
tortoiseshell wrote:
I have a digital scale that measures down to 0.001g - but how does that translate into cc/ml for small measurements?

Thanks

wow that is awesome - my understanding is if you have a scale like that you can do all your measurements in weight - will require math to figure out proper percentage but your formulas will be super accurate.

My math skills are brutal but here is how I think this should work (going to make a huge horses behind of myself here)
- you need to find out the weight of your base (SKB, H2O) say 100 grams
- then you figure out the % of actives according to weight for example LAA - 10% therefore 10gms

Does this make any sense Confused

5% products discount

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
Yes... is once cc the same as one ml? Is one ml the same as one gram? Okay I feel like an idiot but gotta ask...
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
No grams are weight and cc/ml are the same but that is liquid volume (I think). Confused

Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
I wanted to try to make my own c-serum using LAA but am hesitant after reading from another skincare forum. It said that LAA is so acidic that it exfoliates. If this is true that would mean if used daily it would be like exfoliating daily which is a no-no. This will accelerate aging in the longterm. I read somewhere on page 2 of this thread that someone experienced seeing more fine lines after using LAA and was wondering if she was using it too much. I hear that magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (MAP) appears to have the same potential as vitamin c to boost collagen synthesis but is effective in significantly lower concentrations and appears to be a better choice than vitamin c for people with sensitive skin and those wishing to avoid any concomitant exfoliating effects.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
...If you have glycerin on hand, just put 1/4 tsp in your serum, and it will make a big difference. (You can get a little bottle of pure glycerin in any drugstore, and it's cheap!)

Hi Kassy,

I don't have glycerin now.

Can I add H.A. and/or SKB mixed with Vit E to my existing serum? If yes, how much should I add?
batwhirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:28 am      Reply with quote
aubria wrote:
I wanted to try to make my own c-serum using LAA but am hesitant after reading from another skincare forum. It said that LAA is so acidic that it exfoliates. If this is true that would mean if used daily it would be like exfoliating daily which is a no-no. This will accelerate aging in the longterm. I read somewhere on page 2 of this thread that someone experienced seeing more fine lines after using LAA and was wondering if she was using it too much. I hear that magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (MAP) appears to have the same potential as vitamin c to boost collagen synthesis but is effective in significantly lower concentrations and appears to be a better choice than vitamin c for people with sensitive skin and those wishing to avoid any concomitant exfoliating effects.

Hi Aubria,

I have sensitive skin also and make my vit c serum with l-ascorbic acid at a 15% strength. I have not experienced increased lines or peeling after about a year of use:-) My skin does turn pink for a bit after application however the pinkness abates shortly. I suspect it is because of the vodka addition. Guess I could confirm by using straight vodka but I would rather save any extra vodka for my oj! Kidding.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
...If you have glycerin on hand, just put 1/4 tsp in your serum, and it will make a big difference. (You can get a little bottle of pure glycerin in any drugstore, and it's cheap!)

Hi Kassy,

I don't have glycerin now.

Can I add H.A. and/or SKB mixed with Vit E to my existing serum? If yes, how much should I add?

Now that you have everything you need, it would be wiser to just start from scratch again, and go by the recipe.. Very Happy

To add it to your existing serum, just pour what you made into a little glass, add and stir the HA into that, mix the vitamin E into the SKB separately, and then add the 2 phases togegher slowly with continued stirring..

Much easier to start over.. Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
batwhirl wrote:
aubria wrote:

Hi Aubria,

I have sensitive skin also and make my vit c serum with l-ascorbic acid at a 15% strength. I have not experienced increased lines or peeling after about a year of use:-) My skin does turn pink for a bit after application however the pinkness abates shortly. I suspect it is because of the vodka addition. Guess I could confirm by using straight vodka but I would rather save any extra vodka for my oj! Kidding.

Just a heads up regarding the vodka.. Technically only several drops are needed to dissolve the FA.. I used a tsp in the recipe, to make things easier for beginning DIYers..

Leaves more for the *cook* to enjoy with their OJ.. Laughing

Akadia71

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
Ok. I probably went a little overboard but here is the recipe for my first serum after a lot research and lurking around this forum.

1 tsp LAA (lotioncrafters)
3 1/2 tsp Marine nutrient serum with SKB (skinactives)
1/2 tsp THDA (lotincrafters)
1/4 tsp ferulic acid (skinactives)
1/4 tsp Vit E oil (whole foods)
1/2 tsp Wrinkle defense complex (Argireline and Matryxl 3000, from lotioncrafters)

Add LAA to MNS (it did dissolve! But I added it 1/4 tsp at a time with a lot of stirring). Add ferulic acid to this.
In separate shot glass, mix Vit E and THDA. Combine the two glasses and stir vigorously. Add the Wrinkle Defense at the end.

It looks like a pale yellow, milky serum. The yellow is from the Vit E oil. Neutral smell--not great, but not stinky either. Left my face feeling soft--not moist, not sticky, but not dry either. I'm using a moisturizer on top of it. It's actually nice to not have that silicone-y feeling for once like so many store brands.

I just couldn't do a simple serum--got the DIY bug really bad. Will let you know how this works. I wanted a nice effective double-whammy vit c serum with a "kick" --the MNS has some coconut endosperm, nutrients, and peptides, and the Wrinkle defense gave it a little extra oomph.

Enjoy! Very Happy
KiraB
5% products discount

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Kassy and everyone else!! I am a lurker and coming out to thanks everyone for all the wonderful help and information!!

I just ordered Ferulic Acid, Sea Kelp Bioferment, and Ascorbic Acid from Skinactive. I have some grapeseed oil and may skip the Remergent DNA cream and MSM supplement, if you think that would be ok? I need to pick up the ph test strips but think that won't be to hard to find around town. I can't wait till the order gets here!!

Thanks again everyone!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome KiraB and good luck with your DIY - don't hesitate to ask away.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:50 am      Reply with quote
Where did you guys buy your distilled water from? Is it the same as the distilled water for drinking?
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |