Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi Dancar,

30 minutes.

It was the 2nd bottle of Vit C serum I made.

In the first one I made, the F.A. was dissolved pretty quick in a 1 tsp of vodka, though very very fine particles were still there; however, found not the same if I just used 1/4 tsp of vokda for my 2nd batch yesterday.
tortoiseshell
5% products discount

Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using a daily distilled water/vit c serum in the mornings... I've heard that it's important not to mix it with plant compounds because of the danger of metal traces in the plants reacting with the vit c - what I'm wondering is, does this mean that I shouldn't use plant-derived actives (eg green tea, silymarin, watermelon extract)on my skin after applying the vit c? Should I wait till the evening for that? (Would rather not as a lot of those plant actives have sun protection benefits).
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:31 am      Reply with quote
tortoiseshell if you wait 1 hour after applying your c-serum it will be completely absorbed. I would think putting the other actives on after that time would be fine.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
What form of Vitamin E do most of you use for your serums and is there one form that is most often recommended for topical use?

Also - where to purchase?

Thanks! BF
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
^^ I bought mine from the personal formulator. I love it!

I believe SkinActives (expensive) and BulkActives have it too

After using the Vit C serum for about a month, I realised that I started having lots of blackheads popping up around my face. Anyone else got that?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:42 am      Reply with quote
funkydory wrote:
^^ I bought mine from the personal formulator. I love it!

I believe SkinActives (expensive) and BulkActives have it too

After using the Vit C serum for about a month, I realised that I started having lots of blackheads popping up around my face. Anyone else got that?

That will happen for 2 reasons that I know of with any C serum use if;

1. You've used too much, and/or haven't massaged it completely into your skin

2. You are using a product that has reached the 2nd stage of oxidation (discolored!)

I never have the *blackheads* (that are the result of oxidation), but I use my serum sparingly, rub in quite well, and also use a microfiber cloth gently twice per day.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:08 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
funkydory wrote:

That will happen for 2 reasons that I know of with any C serum use if;

1. You've used too much, and/or haven't massaged it completely into your skin

2. You are using a product that has reached the 2nd stage of oxidation (discolored!)

I never have the *blackheads* (that are the result of oxidation), but I use my serum sparingly, rub in quite well, and also use a microfiber cloth gently twice per day.

Really? You have to rub it in?? Idea Idea Good gracious no wonder I keep having to get extractions!! Ever since I started making your super affordable DIY serum, I've been slathering the stuff on generously and letting it "soak in" for at least 30 minutes! Embarassed Embarassed

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:09 am      Reply with quote
No need to slather on too much.. You're skin can only absorb + utilize so much..

It's best to use sparingly, but everywhere, since it's so affordable.. Very Happy

And yes, really massage it in thoroughly, for the best results.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:23 am      Reply with quote
I also have been a generous user of the Vit C, E + Ferulic DYI serum. I apply it to face, neck, chest and arms. Didn't think to massage it in because it absorbs so quickly.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Yes this is news to me too. I've been generous with it and not massaged it in either.
So glad I didn't get blackheads.
dancar3
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Kassy, how does the Vit C serum you've made w/ the jojoba oil compare that with the glycerine....does it absorb better? I've been finding that my skin gets a whole lot oilier faster using glycerine, and I'm hoping perhaps making my next bottle using the jojoba might be better, but still having the same positive results. THanks!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
dancar3 wrote:
Kassy, how does the Vit C serum you've made w/ the jojoba oil compare that with the glycerine....does it absorb better? I've been finding that my skin gets a whole lot oilier faster using glycerine, and I'm hoping perhaps making my next bottle using the jojoba might be better, but still having the same positive results. THanks!

This one with the Jojoba seems to absorb immediately, and the plus I'm noticing is no tackiness whatsoever..(The SKB causes this, but the benefits of using it are worth a bit of tackiness.)

You can adjust just about any of the recipe's I've posted to accommodate a dry or oily skin.. Just keep the liquid volume the same after your adjustments.. (Ex. whatever you reduce the glycerin/jojoba/skb or whatever by, add that much more water.)

As many of you who know me already know, I constantly change little things to keep my skin responsive.. C serums are no exception, and this is the reason why so many recipe's are posted from me.. I tweak things as I go along, and like to experiment with slight variations.. You can all be certain that whatever recipe is currently posted, that will be the one I'm using.. So far this one with jojoba is the easiest to make (I think), has the nicest consistency and is very gentle on the skin.. Haven't noticed a tingling with this, but I seldom do anymore, unless I've really over exfoliated just before application..

For very oily skin girls, you can adjust this recipe very easily by using 1/4 tsp less jojoba, and adding 1/4 tsp more vodka/water (some drops of each to equal 1/4 tsp.).. You might want to try the 1st batch as is though.. I really don't expect it to bother an oily skin.

milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy: I was wondering if the new formulation with the jojoba would have comparable results to the serum made with the Hyaluronic Acid?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
milbader wrote:
Kassy: I was wondering if the new formulation with the jojoba would have comparable results to the serum made with the Hyaluronic Acid?

Personally, I feel that this one is more moisturizing, and for someone with normal/combo skin, they might find they don't need additional moisturizer. For me, I just put the serum on, wait 5 minutes, put on a little sunscreen if I'm going out, and away I go.. (It absorbs immediately.)

As for the consistency of the serum, the jojoba thickens it up perfectly.. The other serums needed the HA more for thickening power than anything else. (But it's a PITA to work with, and I had never ending PM's from members who had trouble with it.)

I'm not a big gaga fan of HA, and although I use it in different recipe's, I don't find it to be anything special.

ETA: You didn't misunderstand.. Very Happy Yes, I only wait 5 minutes with this serum.. Seems fine so far.

Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:

I just want to tell everyone that I just found out I've been ballsing up the C,E and Ferulic recipe this whole time...
I've been doubling up on all the ingredients to make enough to last awhile for my face, neck, chest and arms/hands. Weeell...It says 2 tbs SKB, so I was doing 4. Or so I thought. I only had a tsp as my largest measurer, so added 8 tsps to the mix. I just realised that this only equates to 2 tbs. Shock No idea how strong my solution has been, but obvoiusly REAL strong. Suprisingly my skin has handled the strength without screaming.

Brick wall Embarassed RightyO then. I was obviously in some kind of weird daze. It says 2 tspns yeh. I'll get it right yet. I'm gonna give the new one with the jojoba oil a go next.
LAT
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:04 am      Reply with quote
Hi All

I will be attempting my first vitamin c serum and need some advice. Smile

I would like to start off with a simple basic recipe just to see if I even will respond to the vitamin c (read somewhere that not everyone will see results with a topical c product)

I have never made or used a vitamin c serum and was wondering how I should start out? Should I make it at a lower strength than 15% and how often would I use it to begin with? (I currently use retin a and green cream level 9 every night).

Does the following recipe sound ok?

1/4 tsp. l-ascorbic acid
1 tsp. proplyene glycol
1 tsp. distilled water

I would also like to add vitamin e and ferulic acid to this, how much would I add?

Will the ph be ok?

Also, if I want to increase the strength at any time, do I just add more of the LAA and keep everything else the same?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get it right Confused

Any help or advice would be appreciated Smile

Thanks,
Lin
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:15 am      Reply with quote
LAT wrote:
Hi All

I will be attempting my first vitamin c serum and need some advice. Smile

I would like to start off with a simple basic recipe just to see if I even will respond to the vitamin c (read somewhere that not everyone will see results with a topical c product)

I have never made or used a vitamin c serum and was wondering how I should start out? Should I make it at a lower strength than 15% and how often would I use it to begin with? (I currently use retin a and green cream level 9 every night).

Does the following recipe sound ok?

1/4 tsp. l-ascorbic acid
1 tsp. proplyene glycol
1 tsp. distilled water

I would also like to add vitamin e and ferulic acid to this, how much would I add?

Will the ph be ok?

Also, if I want to increase the strength at any time, do I just add more of the LAA and keep everything else the same?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get it right Confused

Any help or advice would be appreciated Smile

Thanks,
Lin

The recipe you have will give you a 10% concentration as is.. Also realize it is less than 1/2 an ounce..

You can add a pinch of Ferulic Acid to the propylene glycol, then add 4 or 5 drops of vitamin E oil to that.. When your L-AA has fully dissolved in the H20, add all together and stir, stir, stir.

The pH should be around 3.2 or so, which is fine.

The problem you will have (unless you use Lotion Crafter's L-AA), is getting 1/4 tsp of L-AA to dissolve in just 1 tsp of H20..

It's true that vitamin C serum works well for about 60% of people..(or so I read.)

Also you might want to consider, if you decide you like and will continue DIY, is to switch from 'propylene glycol' to 'butylene glycol', which is safer for the skin.

LAT
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy

Thanks for the quick reply Very Happy I haven't bought any ingredients yet, I wanted a little input or advice from others first. Would I use the same amount of butylene glycol in place of the propylene glycol?

How would you suggest to start out for a beginner? Do you think I could handle 15%, having never used a topical vit. c before? I really appreciate and value your opinion Smile

Thanks again
Lin
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lin, It really depends on your skin's sensitivity, but I'd say why not go for the optimum 15% serum right off the bat..

If you find it too irritating, you can always add a tsp of distilled H20 to it, which will bring you back down to roughly 10%.

It's very simple to make an effective C serum.. Why don't you just get your feet wet with the one you posted, and see how you like it..

Try this which I adjusted a bit; (1/2 ounce @ 15% concentration)

1/2 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1 tsp propylene glycol or butylene glycol (same measure)
2 tsp distilled water
1 Vitamin E gelcap (or 3 drops of pure E oil)

2 shot glasses are the perfect thing to mix it up in..

Put the L-AA in glass #1, and pour the distilled water over it. Stir frequently until fully dissolved, and no grit/crystals remain. (This can take up to an hour, depending on where you bought it!)

In glass #2 you will combine/stir the vitamin E into the propylene or butylene glycol.

When the L-AA has fully dissolved in glass #1 and not grit/crystals remain, you will slowly stir the contents of each glass together.. Stir very well.

Now put it in a dark amber or blue dropper bottle, and store in the fridge.

Since you never used a vitamin C product before there is a good chance you will feel a little *tingle* when you apply.. It's nothing to worry about, and most people enjoy it.

If you get any itching, redness or an out and out burning sensation, than vitamin C either isn't a good choice for you, or the 15% is too strong. Your option at this point is to reduce the strength by adding another teaspoon of distilled water to the serum, and try again the next day..

Hope that helps, and it all works out for you.. Very Happy

LAT
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kassy,

You have helped alot to get me started on my way Very Happy

I hope the use of topical vit. c agrees with me, I really would like to try your recipe with the skb. I also would like to try niacinamide somewhere down the line.

Anyways, if I find its not working out, I will try the more stable derivative version of vit. c.

Thanks again,
Lin
tortoiseshell
5% products discount

Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:17 am      Reply with quote
Given that vitamin c serum is exfoliating... and you're supposed to exfoliate no more than 3-4 times weekly (at least from what I've read)... does that mean that the c serum shouldn't be used daily?
LAT
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
[i]The only other serum I make (besides Vitamin C Serum) is one with Glucosamine and Niacinamide:

G & N Serum 1oz
½ tsp. Glucosamine (5%)
¼ tsp. Niacinamide (2.5%)
5 tsp. Distilled water
1 tsp. Glycerin

I would like to try the G&N serum, is it necessary to add the glycerin? I was wondering if I can just add the two actives with distilled water? also, from what I have read about niacinamide the ph needs to stay within the 5.0 to 7.0 range, otherwise it turns to nicotinic acid.

Any help would be appreciated Smile

Lin
Aimoss

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi all thank you so much for all your recipes - they are brilliant! A word of advice don't add an omega capsule in place of the Vitamin E - you will end up smelling like a Fishmongers!! lol
BTW does anyone have a recipe for a Vitamin A serum I bought some retinyl acetate from SA but not quite sure how to use it! Thank you once again!
damia

Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
hey girls this is my first post...i love this site.

i recently made my first diy vitamin c serum using
1/2 teaspoon l ascorbic
1 3/4 teaspoon h2o
1/4 teaspoon veg. glycerin

i totally love it, though when i used it the next morning, some crystals were on the bottom of the jar.

my question is about percentages. i have looked and looked on line and everyone has a different recipe. i really need a confirmed 20% vitamin c serum using just the three above ingredients. any help would be so appreciated. you guys are totally awesome!
p.s. what do you think about nutribiotic ascorbic acid crystalline powder...it says its pharmecuetical grade with a ph of 2.1, also has the chemical formula on back at c6h806, which is the correct l ascorbic chemical formula(i know thats the wrong word for it), no fillers no binders yadayada..it smells like my old mychelle serum.. damia
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:22 am      Reply with quote
damia wrote:
hey girls this is my first post...i love this site.

i recently made my first diy vitamin c serum using
1/2 teaspoon l ascorbic
1 3/4 teaspoon h2o
1/4 teaspoon veg. glycerin

i totally love it, though when i used it the next morning, some crystals were on the bottom of the jar.

my question is about percentages. i have looked and looked on line and everyone has a different recipe. i really need a confirmed 20% vitamin c serum using just the three above ingredients. any help would be so appreciated. you guys are totally awesome!
p.s. what do you think about nutribiotic ascorbic acid crystalline powder...it says its pharmecuetical grade with a ph of 2.1, also has the chemical formula on back at c6h806, which is the correct l ascorbic chemical formula(i know thats the wrong word for it), no fillers no binders yadayada..it smells like my old mychelle serum.. damia

Welcome damia. According to my math (which is horrible Shock ) you have a 20% serum already. 2 tsp = 10 mls so 20% of that would be 2 mls = 1/2 tsp LAA. Hopefully one of the smart kids aka Kassy will see this any double check my math skills or lack there of.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |