Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
This is the best one IMHO, and the only one I've used in quite a while;

15% C, E + Ferulic Acid Serum, 1oz

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Vitamin E Oil
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Hyaluronic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp H2O [/size]

-------------------------
I just mixed Kassy's best Vit. C recipe above but I had no idea how to measure CC. The syringe I got from my pharmacy starts at 1ml to 5ml. I used 4 drops of Vit. E and 4 drops of Hyaluronic Acid. Am I close to 1/3? Or did I use too little?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
1/4 tsp of each would be close.. Since you added 4 drops, you can go ahead and add another 4 or 5 drops of each..

You can change your recipe to read 1/4 tsp for next time if it's easier.. Also, any drugstore (or Dr/Vet office) has 1cc medication dosing syringes.. If you get this, just draw up the solution to .3 on the syringe.. Wink

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Kassy!!!
What would we do without you...
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Bellezza wrote:
Thank you Kassy!!!
What would we do without you...

I'm sure a few others would love to see that day.. Bad Grin Rolling Eyes Bad Grin

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
1cc (cubic centimeter) is EXACTLY the same as 1ml (milliliter). A teaspoon is 5 ml or 5 cc; a tablespoon is 15ml or 15cc. Also note ... teaspoons and tablespoons should be the kind supplied for cooking/baking, not those things in the kitchen utensil drawer ... those can vary in size, by manufacturer. Cubic centimeter and milliliter are both the same (a metric unit of volume.) HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy, what's your point?

This is not a rocket science recipe, and I am simply trying to make things easier for a new DIY'er. You're post is not going to help her, but will likely intimidate her..

I am well aware that 1cc + 1ml are one in the same.

mariansc
5% products discount

Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Can someone tell me what your ph level was when you made the Vitamin C serum...C+E+Ferulic. I posted before, and thinking it might get overlooked, so I am posting it again.

Just wondering if anyone has made this, and what your ph level was? I added the ferulic acid to the serum I was already using a vitamin c serum, and made too batches, and my ph level is way up there at 3.8-9, took me forever to get my ph level within the range of my old c serum (which works perfectly for me) of 2.5. I didn't put any oils in it.

I was able to get the ph down, to were I wanted it, with using citric acid. Thankfully, I have a whole bag on hand, and the lady where I purchased it from, told me how much to use, without losing much of my actives.

I'v made many of of a DIY, and have never had this happen. I thought maybe my ph strips were bad, or something. But, when I used the chart to test other household products, the strip came back perfect.

Do you think not using SKB, and using another emollient would make that much difference?

Thanks a bunch.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
mariansc wrote:
Can someone tell me what your ph level was when you made the Vitamin C serum...C+E+Ferulic. I posted before, and thinking it might get overlooked, so I am posting it again.

Just wondering if anyone has made this, and what your ph level was? I added the ferulic acid to the serum I was already using a vitamin c serum, and made too batches, and my ph level is way up there at 3.8-9, took me forever to get my ph level within the range of my old c serum (which works perfectly for me) of 2.5. I didn't put any oils in it.

I was able to get the ph down, to were I wanted it, with using citric acid. Thankfully, I have a whole bag on hand, and the lady where I purchased it from, told me how much to use, without losing much of my actives.

I'v made many of of a DIY, and have never had this happen. I thought maybe my ph strips were bad, or something. But, when I used the chart to test other household products, the strip came back perfect.

Do you think not using SKB, and using another emollient would make that much difference?

Thanks a bunch.

I answered your query at another forum when you asked about switching ingredients, guess you didn't see it..

Long story short is your use of "sodium lactate" (alkaline) is what screwed your serum up.. Save this stuff for soap making, or used in an IV drip as an electrolyte and fluid replenisher to combat acidosis.. Laughing

Please be sure to do a little research on the DIY websites for compatible ingredients, so you don't harm your skin. Or, just try to stick with a DIY recipe *as posted*.

Oh, and yes, vitamin E is most assuredly an oil, so I'm not sure what you meant when you said; "Even my vitamin E has no oil in it. Someone told me skincentuals vitamin e was water soluable, so I went with that, and it seems to work great!"

Good luck!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Lacy, what's your point?

This is not a rocket science recipe, and I am simply trying to make things easier for a new DIY'er. You're post is not going to help her, but will likely intimidate her..

Well it helped me! I had no idea that 1cc was equal to 1ml, sad dummy that I am. Maybe that's because in Oz all our medicinal measurers come in mls because we're metric.

Anyway, I found the info very useful. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
Lacy, what's your point?

Well it helped me! I had no idea that 1cc was equal to 1ml, sad dummy that I am. Maybe that's because in Oz all our medicinal measurers come in mls because we're metric.

Anyway, I found the info very useful. Very Happy

Guess you missed this part.. Laughing ;

15% C, E + Ferulic Acid Serum, 1oz

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Vitamin E Oil
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Hyaluronic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp H2O
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Guess you missed this part.. Laughing

Yep!! Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
Perhaps I am confused. Bellezza stated that she had no idea how to measure CCs; she stated that her syringe was in ml. She further stated that she added 4 drops of both the E and HA, and asked if she was close to 1/3 (of a cc).

I thought I was just clarifying for her that her syringe in ml was appropriate to use for cc. It sounded to me that she was unaware that 1cc = 1ml.

I didn't understand the response provided, suggesting to substitute 1/4 of a teaspoon (ie 1.25 ml) for 1/3 cc (ie 0.3) of each ingredient.

I stated the information regarding teaspoons and tablespoons because the recipe mixes units of measurement. I think some people may prefer to use a consistent measurement system (perhaps I am wrong on this point).

I am not sure if I have helped her (she hasn't replied nor do I know if she will). I had no intention of intimidating her (or anyone else). I thought my post was appropriate for the questions Bellezza had asked, and my reply was directed to her. If it is inappropriate then it can be removed, but I believe that is up to the moderator not members of the forum (once again, I may be confused about this point).

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:
1cc (cubic centimeter) is EXACTLY the same as 1ml (milliliter). A teaspoon is 5 ml or 5 cc; a tablespoon is 15ml or 15cc. Also note ... teaspoons and tablespoons should be the kind supplied for cooking/baking, not those things in the kitchen utensil drawer ... those can vary in size, by manufacturer. Cubic centimeter and milliliter are both the same (a metric unit of volume.) HTH

It's 1/3 cc/ml I still can't figure out... Math is not my cup of tea. I'll stick with 1/4 tsp.
cheesetoastie
5% products discount

Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bellezza,
I think what Kassy meant when she said a 1/4 tsp was close enough - was that it's pretty close to one ml (with metric measuring spoons, it's 1.25 ml; as one teaspoon's 5ml; 1/2 tsp's 2.5 ml; 1/4 tsp is 1.25; and 1/8 tsp is 0.625).
So I reckon - and please correct me if I'm wrong - to get .3cc/ml using metric spoons, you could just 1/2 fill the 1/8 teaspoon measure. (I'm finding spoons easier to work Very Happy)
Cheers,
Lee

PS. With metric spoons, I think the only measure that's not universal is the tablespoon measure: it's 20ml here in Oz, and 15 ml in the UK and US.
mariansc
5% products discount

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:05 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. No I didn't see other posts, you replied to. Thank you for replying, I sure appreciate it. I used the receipe with the other extra oil in it.

When I asked the lady at Texas Natural Supply if the sodium lactate would suffice instead of glycerin, she said yes. So I researched it, and it is used for soap making, but everything I pulled up, also stated, in was put in creams and lotions too, as a substitute for glycerin.

Whatever is doing it, it has totally stripped my skin, of it's natural oils. I used it last night and this morning. I did not use the typical vitamin e oil. I used the naturderm e oil, and it isn't near as thick or greasy, so that may have been part of the problem too.

I used this receipe of yours:
1tsp. laa
1 tsp skb
1 tsp jojo (left out)ba oil (left out)
3 tsp h20
1/4 tsp fa
1/4 tsp vit. e
1/4 tsp vodka

I left the Jojoba oil out, and the skb out, I don't have either. I just added more SL, which is what threw the alkaline off, I guess.

I was using one of your other recipes, and wanted somehow to just leave it, as it was, because it has done wonders for my skin. I didn't want to mess up a good thing, but wanted to put in the FA.

Don't kill me, but I look back now, and boy did I tear up your recepe. LOL

Thanks so much, for taking the time out to respond.
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:18 am      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:

Lacy, your response was very helpful. In fact I copy/pasted it, printed it and attached it to the recipe. Thanks
mariansc
5% products discount

Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:44 am      Reply with quote
Kassy I found out something else I was doing wrong to...I have these measuring spoons...that have drop, smidgen, pinch, dash, and tad. I used the pinch, and believe it or not, that is alot, common sense should have told me, your pinch was a pinch in your fingers.

Anyways, I was asking my husband, who is fantastic at math, where as I am brain dead, in the subject, and he told me that a pinch on my measuring spoon was nowhere near, .05 ml, it was like 6x more!

He looked at my measuring spoons, and said the drop was more accurate. So I looked it up on the internet, and it said a drop in pharmaceutical was .05. I wasn't sure so I took it up to the pharmacy, and they verified it! I had a 0.05 measuring spoon all along! I put way too much into my serum! So that was probably one of the reasons too, that thru my ph off. Thanks so much again, for helping me! I am going to try to re-do this, and see how the ph comes out. I now don't need to use so much alcohol, because my face can't handle it. Thanks again.
mariansc
5% products discount

Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I used the 20% recipe and substituted glycerin for the SKB, and a little less vodka, and my serum ph is perfect, and exactly where I want it, and it feels good!

Thanks Kassy!
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
cheesetoastie wrote:
Hi Bellezza,
I think what Kassy meant when she said a 1/4 tsp was close enough - was that it's pretty close to one ml (with metric measuring spoons, it's 1.25 ml; as one teaspoon's 5ml; 1/2 tsp's 2.5 ml; 1/4 tsp is 1.25; and 1/8 tsp is 0.625).
So I reckon - and please correct me if I'm wrong - to get .3cc/ml using metric spoons, you could just 1/2 fill the 1/8 teaspoon measure. (I'm finding spoons easier to work Very Happy)
Cheers,
Lee

PS. With metric spoons, I think the only measure that's not universal is the tablespoon measure: it's 20ml here in Oz, and 15 ml in the UK and US.

Your are correct on both accounts. A level tablespoon in Australia appears to be 20 ml; in New Zealand, United States, Canada, South Africa, Japan and the UK it is 15 ml. (at least according to Wikipedia).

.3 cc (ml) with a metric spoon would be half of 1/8 (since 1/8 is 0.625 ml). My confusion with increasing the .3 to 1/4 tsp was related to concentration ... I think most of us are familiar with the patented C serum which formulates the ferulic at 0.5%, and vitamin E at 1.0%? I believe these percentages were chosen for good reason ... perhaps they are most effective when combined with L-ascorbic acid. A 4-fold increase in the ferulic (from .3 to 1.25) throws the formula off; not sure if this is advantageous, detrimental, or neutral. But this recipe didn't start with those percentages of ferulic and E anyway... so my point may be invalid. I think wholesalers of ingredients give general guidelines for percentages; maybe that is all that matters. As it was explained to me "this isn't rocket science" it's meant to be easy; I think efficacy and accuracy is important (that's just my own personal opinion and bias though).

Bellezza ... you are welcome; glad my post had some value to you (and others). I don't do DIY, but I can understand why many of the members like to make their own skincare products. I just know a bit about metric measurements and math!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:43 am      Reply with quote
I couldn't figure out 1/3 cc when I made my first batch so I just tripled everything. Worked out fine and lasted until I used it up. I tested the PH just in case and it was perfect. I had lots so I put in on my arms, hands, etc. I love this serum!!
miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting about the tablespoon differences. I always thought it was 20 ml everywhere. Lacy, I think Kassy said .3cc or 3 ml rather than .3ml because someone said that it was about half a teaspoon (which is 5 ml). So that sounds right. Very Happy
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Congrats Mariansc. I'm glad you were able to get the serum the way you want it. Please post in a few days to let us know how your skin is responding.

I used the glycerin to make a the simple recipe that just used distilled water, glycerin and LAA and I love it! I like the way my skin feels when it's on. It's smooth but not greasy. I have ordered the ferulic acid and SKB. When I get it, I'll upgrade my serum. I love the DIY because I know exactly what's in it and it's affordable.

I made the c spray too. I used rose water and it's a little too strong smelling. I'll use plain distilled next time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
I made the c spray too. I used rose water and it's a little too strong smelling. I'll use plain distilled next time.

There are such a lot of benefits to using Rose Water - I'd stick with it. Personally, I love the smell, but if you find it too strong you could just dilute it a bit.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Keliu. Now I'll have to google Rose water to see what it does. Actually, I like the smell too. It is strong at first but the smell lightens pretty quickly. Maybe I'll stick with it or dilute it as you suggest.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:56 am      Reply with quote
i just made a fresh batch of aa

1 3/4 tsp of dist. h20
1/2 tsp of aa
a little less than 1/4 tsp of glycerin

this time it seems my face goes a little chalky after application, its hard to explain, sorta dry with a whitish tint, and i have broken out more than usual.. more h20? i have no idea whats going wrong.. any ideas would be appreciated
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |