Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:57 am      Reply with quote
Dee,
I just noticed the iPhone in the link guess that is why google for ehow and the article is "how to make a proven anti-aging skin product". Sorry if I can get on the PC instead of phone later I will correct the link!
Embarassed
DM

Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Do you have to use the water. I was thinking of just trying the L-Absorbic Acid with the Glyceren.

Also - when have you all started to see results. I ask because a friend let me try a sample of her Vit C Cream from her dermatologist and I can honestly saw I saw a difference with the first use and people noticed. My skin felt tighter, redness went away, and fine lines were gone. Should I expect the same results?

Last Question - I ordered my Vit C powder from Skin Additives. Do you feel that this is a reliable source? I was concerned after seeing that it came from Asia and figured this would be a complete waste if the Vit C was not good.

Thanks for the help!!!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
sumartin78,
I have never seen a recipe without water as I think it is soluble in water, most make small batches store in dark amber or cobalt blue glass bottles for good measure keep it in the fridge. I am certain it won't dissolve in the glycerin and that would wreak havoc on your skin, plus I doubt it would be effective. Also most people find glycerin alone to slick kind of oily feeling on the skin, best description I can manage.
Results will depend on your skin and skin issues, how advanced those issues are. Also people use different strengths of the serum ie: 10% 15% 20%.
I am not familiar with the brand you posted, I googled it with no result, sorry I tried.

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Skinactives are very reputable suppliers - lots of people on the Forum buy from them.
www.skinactives.com

I'm not sure why people always want to "fiddle" with the original recipe - just make the serum up as per instructions and it should be fine.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
Kelilu,
I wasn't sure as she posted Skin Additives, thought maybe it was skinactives, but did not think they were from Asia.
I agree as to the recipe, unless some want it milder or more potent, but the only change there would be the amount of Vitamin C.

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
I just presumed she meant Skinactives. I actually buy my LAA from Bulkactives, theirs comes from Asia too, but if the company is well known and reliable I take them at face value and presume that the ingredient will be ok. I think a company like Skinactives would have too much to lose to be selling dodgy products. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
I agree I actually had my local pharmacist order my last container, so who knows where it came from? It works, and my skin is still attached to my face so I am sure it is fine. Laughing
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
As promised the link NOT from the iphone:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4844882_proven-anti-aging-skin-product.html

a 10% Vitamin C recipe

HTH
DM

This is so weird after being on my silly little phone for so long, the PC actually looks ODD!!!!! Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:28 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4844882_proven-anti-aging-skin-product.html

This article suggests using ascorbyl palmitate. I'm not too familiar with this form of vit C, but the article seems to indicate is is better than LAA...? Does anyone know more please? I'm so confused. Thanks.

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Here is one of many articles explaining this form of vitamin C, ascorbyl palmitate. It pretty much gives info on every form of vitamin C.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminC/vitCform.html

and another:

http://www.nutrasanus.com/ascorbyl-palmitate.html
HTH
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Darkmoon.

But I still am a little confused about how the percentage is calculated. If you dissolve 1/4 tsp of vit c in 1 tbsp of water and then add 1 tbsp of glycerin the percentage will only be 4% if going by volume and perhaps only a couple percent more by weight...not enough for 10% I don't think.

Also does anyone know if it is okay to use L-AA crystals sold as an oral supplement? I've been using the solgar brand of vit c to make my serum.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
My math skills stink! Sorry but there are recipes posted for 10% serum and higher. I am not sure how it is calculated.
If your vitamin C has no other fillers, in other words 100% pure vitamin C it is fine. Any additives could very well through a lot off ph penetrations just to name a few. My guess as I reread the article in the link it gives a recipe for a 5% serum so doubling just the C should bring it to 10%. I am sure if that is incorrect somebody with better math skills than mine will correct.

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
Please be sure to know exactly which form of vitamin C you are using to formulate with for your face. Do not use supplements for formulating.

At every DIY venue, there are explicit instructions for the optimum % recommended for each of the various C derivatives, they are all different!... You will also learn which are water or oil soluble, and also which are pH dependent.

There is much to learn, and the WWW is a wonderful teacher!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Here is one of many articles explaining this form of vitamin C, ascorbyl palmitate. It pretty much gives info on every form of vitamin C. It does explain them from a nutritional stand point.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminC/vitCform.html

and another:

http://www.nutrasanus.com/ascorbyl-palmitate.html
HTH
DM

Thanks Kasey,
You cleared that up much better than I. I quoted myself as the first link does explain all different forms of C it is from University of Oregon.
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:15 am      Reply with quote
Thanks again for your help Darkmoon Smile

And yep the soglar vit c is 100% L-AA crystals, no additives.

Dee
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:18 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Please be sure to know exactly which form of vitamin C you are using to formulate with for your face. Do not use supplements for formulating.

I have 100% L-AA crystals (solgar brand) so it is primarily an oral supplement but is pure and has no additives. Is this ok to use still or should I purchase from another source?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Dee,
That is the exact brand my pharmacist has ordered for me a few different times and I have never had any problems, it is in a white sealed opaque container and it is 100% C. I don't see the issue with it!

IMHO
DM
I have used it for at least 3 years and it does the trick for me. Some may well have a different opinion, I can only speak from my personal experience.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:14 am      Reply with quote
Good to know Darkmoon. Smile

I'm new to this DIY stuff and still learning all the do's and don'ts.
havana8

Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
re-posting for ranran

ranran wrote:
Regarding ascorbic acid and Ascorbyl palmitate, there is an article on "smartskincare dot com/treatments/topical/vitcderiv dot html" it give the information on what are they and up/down sides of each.

I am new to this forum, it does not allow me to post an external link (for security reason?) ('Sad') you have to copy/past above to text to read the articles.

Thank you for your recipes, discussions, I learned a lot and I am in the process of learning. Ordered lots of ingredients, will start the DIY soon!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hello ranran,
Welcome to the Asylum joking! It is a great forum!
Let us know what you whip up and how it works for you Very Happy
Thanks for posting the link! We all need as much help as we can get Laughing

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a link to more info on Vitamin C and recipe for making your own home made serum using ascorbic acid, water soluble C

http://www.natural-skin-care-info.com/vitamin-c-serum.html

HTH
DM
PS I would stop worrying about how the percentages are figured, this explains how to make different strengths, also says you can purchase the C from your Chemist/Pharmacist.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
This is the great thing about *DIY*, we can all do exactly what we want, and learn as we go... Wink

BTW DM, is your L-AA crystals 1000mg or 1125mg? And would you share your recipe for others who might want to try it?

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy,
At times great things are not so great!
I would be thrilled to share a the info you are requesting if things were different.

I am sole caretaker of my dying father for the last 10 months, I sleep in a spare bedroom downstairs across from where my dads room is, I get next to no sleep, I cook purée food thicken all liquids change diapers spend hours with nurses from hospice manage the house take care of his investments deal with tenants on property we own fight to keep bedsores at bay give him his B12 shot I could go on for pages and pages eating up this thread.
I only get out of the house to shop pick up RX's and go to the bank.
The recipes I have posted here are in one little notebook with EO recipes in it, the other recipes I have is someplace in my master bedroom. I have not found time to go dig it out. The vitamin C is in a fridge I keep upstairs in the master bath, as much as it would please me to give you all the information you requested, my priorities are elsewhere at this time.
Maybe to apease you after I have called 2 funeral homes to make all arrangements in advance as dad has very little time left, packed, made travel arrangements. Go up north to bury my father next to my mother. Taken a little time to catch my breath, grieve. I can then respond to your request properly.
Yes I do take a little time to save my sanity and visit this forum, even that I do 99.9% of the time from an iPhone ad I rarely even get to see the upstairs of my home these days.

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
Just to add a little note if you go back and read what I have posted prior I have a tiny spoon, actually several same size as philosophy puts in their per application kit and that is how I have used water soluble C when I actually had time for it.I added it to a water based cream in my tiny little brain it seemed the best way to get a truly fresh application each time. Nowadays I manage my OCM and replenishing oil which I made well before I moved my dad in with me to care for him.

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
OMG!

Well sorry to those who PM'd me aking for a vitamin c (supplement) serum recipe, as you can clearly see, I am only allowed to answer questions it seems, and not ask.. In future please direct your questions for DIY to the relevant poster.

DM, you and your father are still in my prayers, since your 1st PM to me many moons ago.. Sorry to have bothered you, and I assure you it won't happen again.

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:15 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |