Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
Kassey,
You most certainly may ask any and all questions you wish, I apologize if I can not answer at this time. The Vitamin C crystals I have say very clearly on the bottle 100% pure ascorbic acid, other ingredients NONE. not the same as a supplement containing fillers. I am sorry others PMED you about something you clearly posted not to use, I cannot take responsibility for the actions of others.
I only expressed my opinion and stated it was my opinion and others may well disagree, I can only speak from my own experience.
BTW I NEVER PMED YOU MANY MOONS AGO I HAVE ONLY JOINED THIS FORUM IN AUGUST, AND HAVE NOT DELETED ANY MESSAGES FROM IN OR OUT BOXES!

Thanks for your prayers
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
You might want to check your "inbox" + "sentbox" for the last week in August.. Subject: "The Itch".. (Sad but true, 5 weeks here sometimes feels like "many moons" to me.. Laughing )

Okay, that's my contribution to the forum drama of the day... Feel free to keep it coming uncontested, as I have better things to do... Very Happy

Nighty-nite!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
Yes Kassey,
you are correct I did send you a PM after you posted that a recipe I posted had you itchy. I sent the message out of genuine concern that you may have had a reaction, as it turned out your post was to say you were itching to try it. I was quite relieved that you were indeed OK.
Sorry I have corresponded with a number of people on the forum and truly forgot. Just an honest mistake.

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:16 am      Reply with quote
This looks like a big ole misunderstanding to me. I think DarkMoon is just totally overwhelmed right now (understandably). I'm sure she will be able to answer your question when things have settled down for her. I don't think she meant to snub you Kassy. You are a great source of information - both of you. My thanks to the two of you.

I'm only speaking out on this one because I can see what happened. Both sides misunderstanding the other.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Here is a link to more info on Vitamin C and recipe for making your own home made serum using ascorbic acid, water soluble C

http://www.natural-skin-care-info.com/vitamin-c-serum.html

HTH
DM
PS I would stop worrying about how the percentages are figured, this explains how to make different strengths, also says you can purchase the C from your Chemist/Pharmacist.

Thanks again darkmoon, the link was super helpful.

Dee
cjenn1

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
callalily wrote:
This looks like a big ole misunderstanding to me. I think DarkMoon is just totally overwhelmed right now (understandably). I'm sure she will be able to answer your question when things have settled down for her. I don't think she meant to snub you Kassy. You are a great source of information - both of you. My thanks to the two of you.

I'm only speaking out on this one because I can see what happened. Both sides misunderstanding the other.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Dee,
I am glad you found the link helpful!
Keep us posted how it works for you.

Good Luck Very Happy

DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried this vitamin C powder by Marie Veronique? I like that it has kojic acid, licorice root & niacinimide as well.
Do you think it would mix ok with hemp seed oil for application? I don't have a serum I could mix it with & I don't really want to spend the $150 for the complexion lightener serum they recommend using. Confused

http://www.marieveronique.net/shop/product.php?productid=42&cat=107&page=1
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:22 am      Reply with quote
makeupfiend,
IT does say on the sight it can be added to any serum, so maybe just a less expensive serum instead, sounds like they recommend one they can sell you? I hear you on spending absurd prices on tiny vials of skin care products!

HTH
DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:25 am      Reply with quote
makeupfiend wrote:
Has anyone tried this vitamin C powder by Marie Veronique? I like that it has kojic acid, licorice root & niacinimide as well.
Do you think it would mix ok with hemp seed oil for application? I don't have a serum I could mix it with & I don't really want to spend the $150 for the complexion lightener serum they recommend using. Confused

Are you supposed to mix the supplement into the lightener serum?
If so you would need to know at what % the supplement should be in a serum. I don't see why you would not be able to add it to any carrier you wanted.

BTW - this stuff looks nice

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
makeupfiend wrote:

Are you supposed to mix the supplement into the lightener serum?
If so you would need to know at what % the supplement should be in a serum. I don't see why you would not be able to add it to any carrier you wanted.

BTW - this stuff looks nice

They sell the supplement & the lightener serum separately or as a kit where you mix the 2 together. I'd imagine they would have instructions on how much powder to use with the serum but I can't see any info about it on the site. I've read about people mixing vitamin c powders with their daily moisturizer, like Philosophy's Turbo Booster C Powder, so I'm like why couldn't I just mix it with my hemp seed oil??
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:46 am      Reply with quote
Give it a try.
I agree that you do not need to buy the serum to put it in. I would however use 1/2 or 1/3 of the recommended powder in the hemp oil just in case. That way if you have to find a different carrier you still have powder left to experiment with.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
HI there, this is my first post, however, not first read. I was an regional exec in the cosmetic industry (Christian Dior/Liz Claiborne) for 20 years and have been making my own vit c serum for a couple years..I took the basic recipe and added 1 tsp grape seed extract which is high in lineolic acid and a good preservative, along with 1/2 tsp vodka to lower the ph and act as preservative. My skin competes with those in their mid 20's (I am 44) and find that doing glycolic (50%) peels every other week augments the ability of the Vit C to do it's thing..just a thought Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
Alley

Just a question, if it has instructions to use on a as needed basis, wouldn't you think using the recommended amount would be just fine?
I know Philosophy as well as Aloette sell kits like this and come with the little plastic spoon to measure the dose they recommend?

Just Curious?

DM Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
tracyjoy wrote:
My skin competes with those in their mid 20's (I am 44) and find that doing glycolic (50%) peels every other week augments the ability of the Vit C to do it's thing..just a thought Bad Grin

Ok, any other secrets you have other than the C and GA peels? I would love my skin to complete with a person in their mid 20's! Laughing
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Riley,
You know she just has to be one with those People with disgustingly great genes! JOKING I want all her secrets as well! Very Happy

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:20 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Alley

Just a question, if it has instructions to use on a as needed basis, wouldn't you think using the recommended amount would be just fine?
I know Philosophy as well as Aloette sell kits like this and come with the little plastic spoon to measure the dose they recommend?

Just Curious?

DM Very Happy

I guess my point was you are basically conducting an experiment if you are going to use the powder with something other than the "recommended" carrier. So if the experiment goes awry you have not wasted the entire supply of powder - you have 1/2 or 1/3 left to try something else.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:22 am      Reply with quote
tracyjoy wrote:
HI there, this is my first post, however, not first read. I was an regional exec in the cosmetic industry (Christian Dior/Liz Claiborne) for 20 years and have been making my own vit c serum for a couple years..I took the basic recipe and added 1 tsp grape seed extract which is high in lineolic acid and a good preservative, along with 1/2 tsp vodka to lower the ph and act as preservative. My skin competes with those in their mid 20's (I am 44) and find that doing glycolic (50%) peels every other week augments the ability of the Vit C to do it's thing..just a thought Bad Grin

Do you do the peels yourself? If so what is your process?
I have 50% glycolic and a neutralizer but have been afraid to try it. Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:22 am      Reply with quote
Grape seed extract sounds like a good idea. I'm already adding vodka to mine.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:18 am      Reply with quote
Can 95% ethanol be used in place of vodka? I recently bought a bottle and am trying to use it up. I read somewhere that ethanol enhances penetration so I wonder if it might work better than vodka? Thanks.

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Alley

Just Curious?

DM Very Happy

I guess my point was you are basically conducting an experiment if you are going to use the powder with something other than the "recommended" carrier. So if the experiment goes awry you have not wasted the entire supply of powder - you have 1/2 or 1/3 left to try something else.

Sorry I need to add to this that I would use the recommended % but add it to a smaller amount.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:07 am      Reply with quote
tracyjoy wrote:

Hi, and welcome wave
Your results sound very impressive! I was wondering where do you buy grapeseed extract? Everywhere I looked, I've been finding grapseed oil instead. Thanks!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:21 am      Reply with quote
fat_swan,

I am not sure if she intended to say grapefruit seed extract, which is common in DIY recipes as well as many organic products, it helps as a preservative. It is sold as a nutritional supplement in a liquid form. You can buy it online as well. One really good brand is Nutribiotic.
I can't speak for someone else so we have to wait and see if that is what is called for in the recipe, hopefully she will see the post and answer, or PM and find out for sure.

I googled grapeseed extract and here is a link that sells it:
http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=730
HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:34 am      Reply with quote
Alley,

OK I was thinking that she was going to do an as per application as that was the impression the web site gives for using it with their serum. It is a 10ml 1/3 oz. bottle so if used by mixing for each application you would have plenty to use.
Our minds were in 2 completley different places on this one. Sorry for the confusion on that one. If she were to mix a bottle of serum I see your very valid point, way too much money to end up with it down the drain!!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:37 am      Reply with quote
I hope Kassy doesn't mind that I'm posting her recipe from another thread for Vitamin C serum with grapeseed oil. After she recommended using grapeseed oil, I made a serum with it and really liked it but my concoction wasn't nearly as advanced as her's:

Kassy_A wrote:
In regards to one that includes 'grapeseed' oil, I just did one after reading the article.. I've only been using it a few days, but my skin is seeming to love it.. Here's what I did, but it's early yet, so make it at your own risk.. (I went with what I took from the article, and threw it all into a 1oz serum bottle (it's a scant bit less volume)..

1/2 tsp of MAP (wanted to try this instead of the LAA for a change!) I believe this amount yields 10%, but 5% is the usual amount recommended for MAP.. Feel free to check because I'm not positive.)
1 tsp distilled water (to dissolve the MAP)
1 tsp of SKB
1 tsp of pure Aloe gel (from plant and zapped for 3 seconds in the microwave.)
1 tsp of Retinol 1.0 from NCN (love the ingredients in this, and it emulsifies the water/oil phase like a dream!
1 or 2 squirts of SAS antioxidant booster
1 cc of each of these oils/extracts; (grapeseed, wheat protein, avocado, coconut, white willow bark + kukiu) Melasma + freckled girls will benefit greatly from he WWB + K
1 pea sized dollop of 0.1% Retin-A gel (you can add this or leave it out, depending on your skin tolerance and/or how much time you spend outdoors. (I am rhyno hyde, and seldom go out between 11 a.m. + 4 p.m.) This little bit in a 1 oz serum, is just enough to give the vitamin A, but I don't think it's going to make anyone more sensitive.. Don't forget the sunscreen!

Dissolve the MAP in the H2o, add in the SKB, Retinol + aloe (stirring each in well), then add and stir in each of the oils/extracts one by one..

It's also a good idea (for anyone who gives this a try), to let it fully absorb in your skin before hitting the UV light.. (UV degrades both vitamins A + C, so having it absorb prior to going out helps.

I'll forwarn you all that the smell is a bit pungent, but it absorbs in nicely and gives the skin a nice little dewy glow.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=479765#479765
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |