Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
havana8

Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Just an FYI that EDS added the PSF Antioxidant Booster, aka Ferulic Acid, to the store today:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/psf-antioxidant-booster-p_11290.htm
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
I remember reading somewhere about how to mix the HA from SkinActives.

But I can't find it! Can someone enlighten me again? How much water to dissolve it in for the 20% Vit C serum?
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy's advise: "Add the powder or liquid HA to a small amount of distilled water, stir until it forms a gel, and only then add it to your base cream"
the 'small amount' was not specified, it probably doesn't matter. I used 1/4 tsp. in mine.
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:00 am      Reply with quote
Bellezza wrote:
Kassy's advise: "Add the powder or liquid HA to a small amount of distilled water, stir until it forms a gel, and only then add it to your base cream"
the 'small amount' was not specified, it probably doesn't matter. I used 1/4 tsp. in mine.

Thanks! I'll try that
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:38 am      Reply with quote
I hate powdered HA, and it's even a swifter PITA to explain to folks who haven't used it before... The powder must be made into a 'gel' before incorporating it into your recipe.. To do this I just measure out the amount of HA powder that I need for my formulation (1%), and then just add a few drops of distilled water, till it's the gel consistency I want.. Then I put the gel into the water phase of whatever I'm whipping up..

I'm sure better ideas are to be had on some of the DIY websites, but that's what works for me...

I also always have a bottle of Nanci's (NCN) "HA Serum" (2oz for $48.) on hand, that's a no brainer to just add as is to many recipe's...(But don't ask for the exact amount, because I just put in a spritz or two, very scientifically.. Bad Grin I don't use it on it's own though, because I find it too drying for me as is. Very nice in C serum!

http://www.ncnproskincare.com/virtuemart/486.html

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Muirne

Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:44 am      Reply with quote
Hey folks,

Just a quick question from a newbie to the forum and definately to the DYI skincare realm, I've read through the majority of this thread and I think I might make a serum myself. In your opinion should I buy the test strips as well to make sure the ph is ok even if I'm using someone's recipe, for example one of Kassy's? Or is it safe for me to assume that the ph will be spot on as long as I follow the recipe to a T.

Thanks!
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:59 am      Reply with quote
Welcome Murine!! wave

If you are placing an order for your ingredients and the PH strips are available throw them in your cart. Kassy's formulas are always bang on with ph but it is nice to have them so you can make sure your batch is correct.

Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hi folks, I found the forums here when I was researching a method to neutralize the chlorine in my bathwater. I had begun to believe that I was sensitive to the chlorine in water; sometimes, my eyes would begin to water and my skin would itch while taking a bath.

I found out that a small amount of Ascorbic Acid will completely neutralize the chlorine in water, and began using this in my bathwater. I originally just crushed two vitamin c tablets into my my bath, and the difference was immediate. The dry, flakiness in my skin is gone now, and I don't itch or get watery eyes when bathing.

It also occurred to me that if it neutralizes chlorine in bathwater, it will work to neutralize the chlorine in wash water as well. I began adding two tablets to my washing machine when doing a coloured load, and another two tablets to the rinse water. My clothed don't fade anymore!

Anyway, I love what Vitamin C has done for my skin, so I've kept researdching and found the forumes here on Vitamin C serums. I just wanted to thank everyone and also share the information on chlorine and and ascorbic acid (vitamin c). It's truly worth using in bath and washwater.

Apologies if this has been posted already!
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome to the Forum Pavs!
You provided some valuable information. I'll try putting 2 vit. C tablets in my bathwater also.
rollergal
5% products discount

Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:25 am      Reply with quote
Hi all

I want to make the vit c serum by Kassy A with the kukui oil

Can anyone tell me which website sell all the ingredients? or all have to be gathered with from different seller?

any comments appreciated.. Smile

Thanks a lot Smile
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:22 am      Reply with quote
rollergal welcome wave

Here is the link to the DIY sticky - scroll down and almost at bottom is a link to the thread I started listing everyone's DIY suppliers.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

You will also find links directly to the recipes in the DIY threads.

HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Rollergal, I never found on that has all the ingredients. If you discover one that does, please let us know. It certainly would cut back on shipping.

5% products discount

Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for that, It's very useful those link Very Happy

Yes Tonya I was trying to cut on shipping as well... ;P let's see..

Btw, everyone keep mentioning SAS, is it skinactivesdotcom?
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
rollergal wrote:
Thanks for that, It's very useful those link Very Happy

Yes Tonya I was trying to cut on shipping as well... ;P let's see..

Btw, everyone keep mentioning SAS, is it skinactivesdotcom?

Yes thats correct Rollergal the website for SAS is skinactives.com
valleyofcats

Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy, I read somewhere earlier in the thread, that you wouldn't recommend this serum to gals under 30s. I wonder if there's a receipe that could cater for 20s skin? Thanks a bunch Smile
rollergal
5% products discount

Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi All...I need help with below question:

Is it the Vit E acetate or the Vitamin E 1300 IU/gram Fcc/Usp (from gardenofwisdom)? Embarassed

And also... (sorry if this sound stupid) is distilled water means bottled water that we can buy at grocery store? Embarassed

Thankss Cool
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:37 pm      Reply with quote
rollergal,
Distilled water is available at most grocery stores and drug stores, it is near regular bottled water however it has been processed to remove mineral deposits ect. to make it as pure as possible. It will be labeled Distilled Water.
As to the Vitamin E I can't answer for another's choice in a recipe, I do however have 100% pure vitamin E in liquid form, and many do use the gel caps as long as no fillers are added, I haven't seen any gel caps of vitamin E that aren't just pure E.

HTH
DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:56 am      Reply with quote
rollergal wrote:
Hi All...I need help with below question:

Is it the Vit E acetate or the Vitamin E 1300 IU/gram Fcc/Usp (from gardenofwisdom)? Embarassed

And also... (sorry if this sound stupid) is distilled water means bottled water that we can buy at grocery store? Embarassed

Thankss Cool

You know I have been trying to figure out which vitamin E I should be using
Vitamin E acetate or Vitamin E Dl-Alpha Tocopherol??? I currently have acetate.
On the Personal Formulator website the only difference I can see is the colour???
Does anyone know if there are differences and which one would be better to use Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Sorry for the cut and paste job but this may explain the different forms of Vitamin E

http://www.makingcosmetics.com

Vitamin E d-alpha tocopherol
Description: Natural origin, contains low quantities of other vegetable oil constituents due to the raw materials or natural antioxidants. Clear viscous brown liquid, faint odor. Soluble in alcohol & oil, water insoluble. Activity 750 IU per 1 g solution (about 1 ml). CAS# 59-02-9.

INCI Name: Alpha tocopherol.

Properties: In products: active especially in cosmetic products but less on the skin (less stable than synthetic dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate), ideal to stabilize oils and fats in products (prevents rancidity). On the skin: antioxidant (protects from damages by reactive oxygen radicals & UV rays), moisturizing & antiaging effect (improves skin surface relief), soothing & antiinflammatory properties, promotes epithelisation & enzyme activity.

Use: 0.5-2.5% final concentration for skin effects, 0.1-0.5% for stabilizing oils in products.

Application: All kinds of skin care products,

Vitamin E (dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate)

Vitamin E dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate
Description: Water-insoluble vitamin E formed by esterification of acetic acid & tocopherol. Purity >98%. pH 6-8. Activity: 1000 IU per 1 g solution (about 1 ml). Clear viscous yellow liquid, faint odor. Soluble in alcohol & oil, water insoluble. CAS# 58-95-7.

INCI Name: Tocopheryl acetate.

Properties: On the skin: provides antioxidant activity only on the skin (tissue esterases need first to cleave off acetate to form active vitamin E), potent antioxidant (protects from damages by reactive oxygen radicals & UV rays), increases SPF, moisturizing & antiaging effect (improves skin surface relief), soothing & anti-inflammatory properties, promotes epithelisation & enzyme activity (faster wound healing).

Use: Add to to water phase. Typical use level 1-10%.

Application: All kinds of skin care products including sun care & makeup

Vitamin E d-alpha tocopherol Is unadulterated yet less stable according to what I am reading.

You can read more on the website

HTH
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:05 am      Reply with quote
Just a one simple question (I couldn't find answer in discussion)
As far I know about instability of vitamin C - what kind of spoons or tools I have to use to measure and stir C-serum which I planned to make (recipe of Keliu - I think that is 15% percent of C) - metal, plastic, glass...

I think that vitamin C oxidise with metal?

And those bottles and tools - am I going to sterilise them or just wash in hot water is good enough?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:47 am      Reply with quote
*mirjana* wrote:
Just a one simple question (I couldn't find answer in discussion)
As far I know about instability of vitamin C - what kind of spoons or tools I have to use to measure and stir C-serum which I planned to make (recipe of Keliu - I think that is 15% percent of C) - metal, plastic, glass...

And those bottles and tools - am I going to sterilise them or just wash in hot water is good enough?

I use plastic spoons and glass shot glasses. To sterilise the bottles, I put them in a larger container filled with water, then put them in the microwave for 5 minutes on high. HTH.

5% products discount

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:28 am      Reply with quote
Quote:

--- is this true? I bought the metal spoon one ;( wrong decision Sad

My vit c serum, leave white residue when applied to skin.. like powdery.. and a bit sticky like 'salt water' when it's still wet. is this normal? So far I only mix it with distilled water and witch hazel (cos the other ingds not arrived yet)
EmyBloo
5% products discount

Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Hello -
I have been using the DIY vitamin C serum for about a week. The first two days I used it, my face stung a little bit... not too much but enough for me to know something was happening. Now, just a few days later - using the same concentration - do not have any stinging. It just feels tight.
Is this normal? Does your skin get used to it - and that is why it might be stinging less. Does thickness of skin have something to do with it (i put on back of my hand with no stinging at all)

thanks for any feedback!
I can't wait to start seeing results.

Very Happy
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Thanks to EDS, I too have been using the DIY Vit C serum for about 3 months now. I'm using Kassy's 15% CE Ferulic, which is great. Next time I may try the 20% version that includes MAP.

Alchemyblooms - I find that sometimes it stings and other times it doesn't. I'm thinking that some days my skin is just more sensitive as I also use retin-a. I believe it's still working even if it doesn't sting, but it's funny, I kinda find the sting reassuring that it's doing something!
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
Rollergal, I haven't had the residue problem you mentioned. Something must be wrong. It sounds like your LAA powder didn't properly disolve. I have found that if I slightly warm the water before adding the LAA, it disolves much better. Just 3-5 seconds in the micro is all you need. HTH

Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |