Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Dr. Kassy's face firming and eye cream
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
Palm oil
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU269/ItemDetail?n=4294967194

Coconut oil
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU229/ItemDetail?n=4294967194

Thanks for your help

I think it looks okay Alley.. The only thing iffy is that it says 'minimally processed'..(which translates to, it was heated, which translates to, decreased vitamin content..)

The one's I use are hand made, and not exposed to heat..

Question... Are your oils liquidy or solid? Mine are solid as a rock at 70 degrees and under, and still very thick otherwise.. (Not at all looking like oil.)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:31 am      Reply with quote
solid as a rock Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
solid as a rock Confused

You got a keeper ... Laughing

Just keep in a cool dry place (no need to refrigerate) and decant small amounts as needed. I soften mine in a hot water bath!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thank goodness - I was thinking I had really messed that up. I just received all the ingredients today in the mail so this weekend I will be giving the anti-oxidant cream a go. Hopefully you will be around to help me. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
Hopefully you will be around to help me. Wink

She better not go away!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
LMAO!!!!

Tomorrow is our wedding anniversary, and Mr Kassy's wining and dining me tomorrow evening..

Before and after that I'm all yours...(unless he gets lucky!) lucky! + more lucky!) ... Laughing Bad Grin Laughing Bad Grin Laughing

Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
Congrats on the anniversary!!! I hope we don't hear anything from you until Saturday afternoon Dancing Dancing Dancing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
Happy Anniversary Kassy and Mr Kassy!!
fawnie

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Awww, thanks guys ...

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy - Hope you and the Mister had a nice Anniversary... Hope it was lucky Very Happy
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:23 am      Reply with quote
Kassy I will take it as a good sign that we didn't hear from you until Sunday Wink
Started to make the firming - anti-oxidant cream on Sunday got all the way down to the Algae extract and realized after some searching that I had not yet received that package Rolling Eyes
It should come today... I put the almost finished cream in the fridge along with the premixed MAP with SKB. I wrapped that up tight do you think it will be okay to add to the mix today having spend the night in the fridge or should I re-mix the MAP?

Thank you for the tip on warming the coconut/palm oils. After using a spoon to scrape the oil out I could see myself thinking how the heck am I going to mix this in the cream. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:36 am      Reply with quote
You can just mix everything you have and add the algae whenever you get it.. Enjoy it as is, till then..

On another note, the next time you make a C serum, add 5% MAP to it as well.. I read somewhere that it helps all the more, to keep 'LAA' stable. (In fact, you can mix a little into a tiny amount of glycerin or SKB and add it to your existing C serum)..hmm!

Isn't the coconut oil awesome.. love that one! The virgin palm oil is loaded to the gills with anti-oxidants and an enormous variety/amount of vitamin E......(If you can get by the pungent smell, and orangy red color, you've got it licked..) Laughing

The right kind of oils, really are so pure and awesome for our skin. Loaded with vitamins, fatty lipids, and even some beneficial acids...YUMMO! ....

Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
I will mix the MAP it into the C serum tonight as it is only 1 day old!! Are we talking a pinch again. Laughing

Yeah the the palm threw me, I was pretty sure everything was going to be that colour including my measuring spoons but everyhthing was fine.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
LOL! I was shocked when I saw it (and smelled it) the first time also...

For the MAP, I'm guessing a 1/4 tsp would be about right.. hmm!

Alley, I so love that you are really into this.. It's nice to have the company... I'm looking forward to your recipe's as well...

Maybe between us, we will come up with the HG .. Laughing

Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
I am so into this!! Even looking online for "equipment" that might help me out - what about a centrifuge?? Laughing

If we find the HG we will of course patent it and make all the cosmetic companies sell it dirt cheap. Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Naaa, selling it dirt cheap wouldn't work, because lots of folks have the mind set, that if it's $$$$$'s, it must be good!

You, me, and a whole group of other's know better than that though, don't we... Laughing Laughing Laughing

You're on your own with centrifuge etc... Shock I'll only go so far.. Laughing

Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Kassy I made the firming/smoothing/anti-oxidant cream last night - I love it!!! It absorbs nicely, my face was nice and smooth this morning. Definitely a keeper!

Also I mixed the MAP with SKB into the c-serum and I used way too much SKB so now my serum is very thick. I used it this morning and it did absorb so I might try it for a bit. I think the next time I will mix the MAP with glycerin and see how that goes.

Next on my list - an anti-aging body cream. I am going to try to do some research and attempt a recipe. Once I have some direction I will ask for your advice. Unless of course you already have a perfect body cream Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Bummer about too much SKB. As a rule of thumb, only use enough of that to be able to mix the oil based ingredients. A little will do the job, and not leave that awful tacky feeling on your skin... Another thing to watch out for is when you use hyaluronic acid.. If you don't mix it just right, or add too much, you will wind up with spackle .. Shock

As for the body lotion, I highly recommend using as a base, "Gold Bond Ultimate Restoring Lotion"... It's awesome stuff, that one of the members here recommended way back when. (I think it might have been 'Existential Lady', but I'm not positive.) Anyway, it's fabulous stuff! For starters it has CoQ10, vitamins A, C + E, ceramindes, aloe leaf juice and jojoba esters.

To make it extra potent, you could just add more of what's already in there, and mix in a little of your oils. To make it richer, you could add some pure shea butter!

The other body lotions that are really nice, should you want more of an oil base, are at the link I provided for the 'oils' I use..(back a page or two.)

ETA: I don't recommend making a body lotion entirely from scratch because 1. I'm lazy, 2. it would be counterproductive cost wise to have to purchase all the emulsifiers, preservatives + base creams + 3. there are too many stages in the formulating, which include heating and temp control. Naaaa, for me Gold Bond fits the bill!

Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:10 am      Reply with quote
I was worried about that tacky feeling with the c but it wasn't really noticeable - not like when you put pure SKB on your face!!
So the next time you only need a tiny bit just to have the powder cling to?

I was thinking about a store bought base because of all you are talking about. I have the gold bond ultimate healing at my desk right now. I have been adding a little bit of vit e, ferulic acid (no idea if it even matters but have so much of it) and other stuff I can't think of right now, to a AHA store lotion. I like the idea of AHA on my body but I am not sure what you can and can't add to it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:30 am      Reply with quote
I'm not really sure Alley, but my gut tells me to leave certain things as is.. i.e. AHA's. The only thing I add to my Alpha Hydroxy products is a little Lactic Acid.

Certain things work by causing a little irritation/inflammation, and adding anything other than an 'acid', will throw the PH off, and therefore could stop it from doing it's job.. Ph is extremely important in any acid formulation, i.e. vitamin C, AHA + BHA's.

That's my thought's anyhoo. Maybe someone else can weigh in.

fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy and all you DIY gurus: does anyone feel ambitious enough to tackle a DIY dupe of ZO Oraser body cream? It sounds so good! (and expensive)

ZO Skin Health Oraser Body Emulsion
Size: 200 mL / 8.1 Fl. Oz.
Price: $80.00 USD

Description
Dryness, dark spots, loss of firmness and elasticity, and all over dull-looking skin. We're not just talking younger-looking skin, we're talking about a younger-looking body.
Now you can prevent moisture loss and allow your skin to regain its youthful appearance, texture and tone with retinol, ceramides and emollients. An anti-oxidant rich complex with lactic acid softens rough patches. Skin is perfectly hydrated, exfoliated and nourished. Look younger – from head-to-toe.

* Lactic Acid: proven to help exfoliate rough skin patches and retexturize the skin for firmer, smoother looking skin.
* Retinol: a pure derivative of Vitamin A and the most vital component of any anti-aging skincare program. It is clinically proven to be the most effective anti-aging ingredient to decrease the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, even skin tone and increase epidermal thickness.
* Glucosamine: blocks the enzyme that produces melanin; reduces hyper-pigmentation and improves all over skin tone.
* Vitamin E: the antioxidant most frequently recommended by dermatologists to fight free radicals and repair damaged skin cells.
* Coenzyme Q10: essential for healthy skin. Natural CoQ10 levels decrease with age, thus these powerful anti-oxidant coenzymes must be supplemented to fight free radicals and reduce aging symptoms.

Useage
Dr. Obagi recommends massaging all over body AM and PM. For maximum anti-aging benefits, use as part of a ZO Skin Health™ Program.

Ingredients
Aqua (Water), Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Pentylene Glycol, Isoicosane, Dimethicone, Dipentaerythrityl Hexa C5-9 Acid Esters, Sodium Hydroxide, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Tridecyl Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Retinol, PEG-100 Stearate, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Glucosamine HC1, Algae Extract, Yeast Extract (Faex), Urea, Allyl Methacrylates Crosspolymer, Polysorbate 20, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil Unsaponifiables, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Diacetyl Boldine, Ergothioneine, Acetyl Tyrosine, Proline, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, AdenosineTriphosphate, Beta-Glucan, Ubiquinone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Geraniol, Parfum.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
I'm staying out of this one, because frankly I'm not a fan of the line.. It has too many chemicals in it for my taste, with "lye" right up near the top of the list.. Shock

I love and use the anti-oxidant actives that are in it though, and regularly add them to a good oil based lotion, or the Gold Bond lotion noted above.

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Bummer about too much SKB. As a rule of thumb, only use enough of that to be able to mix the oil based ingredients. A little will do the job, and not leave that awful tacky feeling on your skin... Another thing to watch out for is when you use hyaluronic acid.. If you don't mix it just right, or add too much, you will wind up with spackle .. Shock

As for the body lotion, I highly recommend using as a base, "Gold Bond Ultimate Restoring Lotion"... It's awesome stuff, that one of the members here recommended way back when. (I think it might have been 'Existential Lady', but I'm not positive.) Anyway, it's fabulous stuff! For starters it has CoQ10, vitamins A, C + E, ceramindes, aloe leaf juice and jojoba esters.

To make it extra potent, you could just add more of what's already in there, and mix in a little of your oils. To make it richer, you could add some pure shea butter!

The other body lotions that are really nice, should you want more of an oil base, are at the link I provided for the 'oils' I use..(back a page or two.)

ETA: I don't recommend making a body lotion entirely from scratch because 1. I'm lazy, 2. it would be counterproductive cost wise to have to purchase all the emulsifiers, preservatives + base creams + 3. there are too many stages in the formulating, which include heating and temp control. Naaaa, for me Gold Bond fits the bill!

Hey Kassy,
Thanks for the tip on the Gold Bond. How much E do you add? I happen to have some of that lying around. And you suggest adding some coconut and/or palm oil also?

I am using Dr. K's C serum - made with the Viteral A base and it ROCKS. I am loving it.
Thanks for keeping us inspired. here.

For anyone reading this - try out the C serum. It's a great starting point for a DIY product. It's easy and it works. And it's cheap!!!!

Sis
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:05 am      Reply with quote
fawnie this was a great lesson as a very novice DIYer. I looked up the ingredients (the ones I could find) and tried to figure out what they were and what their purpose was. There are a lot of chemicals, preservatives and stuff to make the cream a nice texture. I am guessing it smells pretty good too.

Kassy here is what I think were the anti-oxidents
diacetyle boldine, Ergothioneine, Limonene, Geraniol. The other useful actives were retinol, ubiquinone (CQ10), Beta Glucan. Having little clue about this I would imagine the amino acids would also be helpful?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:57 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

Hey Kassy,
Thanks for the tip on the Gold Bond. How much E do you add? I happen to have some of that lying around. And you suggest adding some coconut and/or palm oil also?

I am using Dr. K's C serum - made with the Viteral A base and it ROCKS. I am loving it.
Thanks for keeping us inspired. here.

For anyone reading this - try out the C serum. It's a great starting point for a DIY product. It's easy and it works. And it's cheap!!!!

Sis

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'm glad you are liking the C-Serum!

For the body lotion, I just decant 4oz at a time into a jar, and add 1/2 tsp each of vitamin E, vitamin C (MAP for this!) + 1 tsp avocado oil. (Now that I'm using virgin palm oil, I just use that in place of the E because it's loaded with it. It also has a tremendous amount of beta carotene (which is converted to vitamin A in your skin).. Lovely, smelly, scary orange stuff, but it's the bomb!)

Also compatible and would compliment a body lotion are;

Ferulic Acid
Glucosamine
Niacinamide
Shea Butter
Aloe Vera Juice

I could go on, but the point is play around with whatever you have on hand... If you buy from Skinactives, always save the sheet that comes with your delivery, because it tells you exactly how much to use in say 4oz creams.. (You can then further tweak things to your liking.)

Also, to keep things fresh and my skin very responsive, I seldom make the same things identically.. I always change things up! Part of the fun of DIY is that you can do this for cheap, always have the freshest product on hand, and really get a feel of what your skin loves or doesn't..

Happy formulating Kiddie's ...

System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |