Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr. Kassy's face firming and eye cream
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy,

Hope you feel better soon....sorry to hear about that (sending a big hug!)

When you feel up to it, I have a question about your comment:

Rice Bran Oil is rather thick with a pungent aroma, you might find that a serum using half RBO + half say, squalane would make it more enjoyable to use.. You can also kick things up a notch, and add some MAP to it as well!

Instead of just adding more TA, what would adding another form of C such as MAP do?

Thanks again - you are so appreciated here.

BF
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
You are all very sweet and helpful.. Thank you so much for your concern .. I you guys, truly.

misspointy, it's been almost a 2 year journey for me (since finding EDS), and although the aging process continues in some ways, the topicals and gadgets are reversing some other things which I never really expected to happen.. (So in a nutshell I'd say a little more sag in the NL/jaw areas, but the prettiest, healthiest, clearest, firmest line free skin I've ever had in my life.) And really, when you can spit at Shock 60 Shock , this is a very good thing indeed.. Laughing Just slowing down would could have happened in these 2 years is a miracle of sorts to me.

I think though, that the vitamin c serums, have been the icing on the cake for me.. (But I also believe that I'm having a synergistic effect from all of it.) It's hard to pinpoint each individual thing, because it really is about *team* work. What I can tell you for sure though, is that the crows feet + fine lines are just about gone now, after all these many months of C serum use. I don't remember exactly when I started it, I would have to look back in the posts.

I'll see if I can find an older picture that shows the eye crinkles from at least a year or more ago, with a recent one.. (Can't promise it will be today or tomorrow though.)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
One more question...sorry.

When using oil soluble versions of Vitamin C, like TA, does the same pH rule apply? In other words, does the final serum have to be around 3 like L-Ascorbic Acid in order to penetrate?

Thanks, BF
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Kassy,

Hope you feel better soon....sorry to hear about that (sending a big hug!)

When you feel up to it, I have a question about your comment:

Rice Bran Oil is rather thick with a pungent aroma, you might find that a serum using half RBO + half say, squalane would make it more enjoyable to use.. You can also kick things up a notch, and add some MAP to it as well!

Instead of just adding more TA, what would adding another form of C such as MAP do?

Thanks again - you are so appreciated here.

BF

I just think that a couple of "C's" working together, would be more *oomph*... (I seldom leave well enough alone, and always try to find another *team* member to throw in the mix.. Laughing )

And don't forget the vitamin E in any form of C serum you make.. Teamwork rules, in the antioxidant arena... IMHO of course! Very Happy

ETA: As far as I know, only pure vitamin C (LAA) is ph dependent.. The ester + synthetic forms are not.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:01 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I just made a new batch for myself, and wanted to see what the addition of Jojoba Oil (really a wax ester) does.. I love the feel of this, and it penetrates quickly..

In case anybody wants to try, this is what I did;

15% Vitamin C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba

1 tsp L-AA
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
3 tsp H2O
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Vodka or Witch Hazel (vodka is best and purest though.)

Here's what it looks like finished; (Creamy whitish and opaque, with a nice serumy texture.) Many of you have PM'd asking what the serums I make look like, so now you have it..

Bumping for those of you who couldn't find it .. Wink
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Ms Kassy

I'm 10 years your senior and trying DIY for the first time! Wisdom may come with age but it didn't come at an early old age for me. lol
I understand the L-AA can be purchased at Lotion Crafters and the SKB and Ferulic Acid will be found at Skinactives. Can the Jojoba Oil and the Vitamin E Oil be just purchased from the health food store or should I order them especially from one of the two suppliers above? The H2O and Vodka I have on hand. :0).

I have bought the Juicy Antioxidant Serum you have rec'd and love it. My skin complaints (for the moment) are skin texture and milia.

Thank you so much for the very generous sharing of your recipes and the thoughtfulness and patience shown in educating all of us. We really appreciate your time and effort!

Jan
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kassy,

No Hyaluronic Acid in the formulation with the Jojoba serum Question
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Zoftig wrote:
Ms Kassy

I'm 10 years your senior and trying DIY for the first time! Wisdom may come with age but it didn't come at an early old age for me. lol
I understand the L-AA can be purchased at Lotion Crafters and the SKB and Ferulic Acid will be found at Skinactives. Can the Jojoba Oil and the Vitamin E Oil be just purchased from the health food store or should I order them especially from one of the two suppliers above? The H2O and Vodka I have on hand. :0).

I have bought the Juicy Antioxidant Serum you have rec'd and love it. My skin complaints (for the moment) are skin texture and milia.

Thank you so much for the very generous sharing of your recipes and the thoughtfulness and patience shown in educating all of us. We really appreciate your time and effort!

Jan

Hi Jan, thank you for the kind words, but I am learning right along with the rest of you.. Laughing

You can get pure Jojoba or vitamin E oil anywhere you find it.. Just be sure it's the *only* ingredient.

Lotion Crafters has the very fine powdered form of L-AA and it will dossolve almost instantly, and you'll love it.

This recipe is not only a cinch to make, but it's the loveliest to use so far.. I've been using it about a week or so, and like it very much.

Glad you hopped aboard the DIY train, you will love it.. You will also be happy to know that the Juice Beauty serums, are outstanding to add actives to.. Wink

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:05 am      Reply with quote
milbader wrote:
Hi Kassy,

No Hyaluronic Acid in the formulation with the Jojoba serum Question

No need for the HA because the Jojoba thickens things perfectly on it's own.

HA is a headache for most people, so I needed to come up with something different, this seems to be it.

Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Ms Kassy

Adding to the antioxidant serum? Oh goody, another experiment! But what and where can I get it? I have combination skin - oily in the T zone, very obviously mature, wrinkles on the cheeks (weight loss did not help those) large pores on chin and nose and those d*mn milia. The other issues I have befriended. lol

If these questions should go into another thread please let me know. I'm just learning about this stuff.

Thank you for answering. (smiley face here)
Jan
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Don't worry Jan, the thread police aren't into DIY, so we talk about lots of things uninterrupted.. Laughing (Or if they are, they keep it a secret.. shh!)

Considering your age, and the complaints you mentioned, I think you really need to start using a microfiber cloth, daily + dilligently..

If you do that for a couple of weeks, I promise your skin care needs will change.

Do you use Retin-A or any Alpha Hydroxy products? If not, you might want to consider that.. It's all about out with the old, which needs an added hand for us mature lot..

You can get a bag full of cheap microfiber cloths at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store.. (Wash in the washing machine before use, no bleach + no fabric softeners, air dry!)..

Do that for two weeks along with the JB serum you already bought, and see how your skin responds.

Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
WHEW about the cops thing.

"Diligently" is the key word you mentioned. I got kind of lazy. I have the Clarisonic that I use occasionally and the Walmart microfiber cloths from the auto section that I use daily after washing. Then just use the Juice serum.
The pores and milia are smaller just from that in the one week I have been diligent.

I have a sephora sample of the PTH AHA/BHA Acne Clearing Gel (for the milia) and would like to do a DIY of it. Could I just add some BHA/AHA to the Juice serum? I have been really researching the acids and have a better understanding of them and what they do but I need to know what to use as a base and in what strength. I understand they are quite potent.
I ordered some samples of both AHA and BHA from Paula's Choice to add to something. But what?

FYI Peter Thomas Roth AHA/BHA Acne Clearing Gel:
Active ingredients:Salicylic Acid 2.00 Inactive Ingredients: Water, Alcohol Denat.,Glycolic Acid, Glycerin, Arginine, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Ammonium Hydroxide, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, and Propylparaben.

I would buy this if you like the ingredients or think it would be better than something I can do myself. I don't use any Retin-A but am very interested in the AHA/BHA stuff. Definitely on the same page with you in that regard.

I am brand spanking new to the DIY and I know a little bit of knowledge is dangerous so I really appreciate your input.
Jan
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Jan, the nicest AHA I have used is the "Alpha Hydroxy" procucts.. They have lotions (8%) and 'souffle cream' which is 12 1/2% AHA..

I suppose in a pinch, any would do the job.

There are pure AHA + BHA products available at cellbone.com that can be used for formulating.. BUT, they are very strong, and you need to do your homework before attempting them.

Also keep in mind some things in your kitchen, which can also be used to slough off the dead skin;

milk
yogurt
honey
pineapple (serious enzymes that literally dissolve the horny layer of skin)
aspirin
citrus fruits
pumpkin

mandapanda
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy! thank you so much for all of your info~!
Very Happy

I have been using the c/e plus ferulic ( made with vodka, and glycerine and some distilled water) every morning foralmost 2 weeks now and it is even better than SkinCeuticals version...honestly! Shock Very Happy

It hasn't oxidized in the least bit and it is perfectly blended with no chunks. It is totally clear andpure-looking!
I keep it in the fridge. And, b/c it is all soooooo cheap I am using it on my neck, chest,arms, etc!

Makeup goes on perfectly and all. I just give it a 1/2 hr to sink in.

My skin is already brighter aagain ( ran out of Skin Ceuticals a month ago)

Kudos to you, girl!
Thanks for being sooo informative and the mother bear of DIY cocktails! WOOOHOOO!! Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Very Happy

30 y.o., fair hr, grn eyes; Retin-a user abt 10 yrs (Mom on it for 30 yrs..looks amazing!) C-user (Now experimenting w/DIY forms); dermaroller (not regularly); Home Peels; Prolight user (not consistent) Emu oil; Former Obagi user (bad rebound hyperigmentation) EDS forum LOVER!
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Ms. Kassy

I found both Alpha Hydroxy products on Amazon (the lotion and the souffle cream) at VERY reasonable prices and they are on order.

With heartfelt thanks from me and my DH and a fond farewell to Sephora. LOL

I'll be in touch in a few weeks with astonishing results. Ever the optimist.

Jan
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
I made up a batch of the Kassy forumulation for the Semi-Simple Nourishing Serum. The final product was a melon color and I was a bit concerned and contacted Kassy about it.

hmm

Yes, that was the correct color!!

I used it last night and this morning and I love it. I would like to announce that my elbows are now smooth and soft for the first time in over 30 years.

Thank you Kassy Exclamation Exclamation

You Rock Kassy

wave
havana8

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I just made a new batch for myself, and wanted to see what the addition of Jojoba Oil (really a wax ester) does.. I love the feel of this, and it penetrates quickly..

Kassy, I've added this as Version C in the DIY Recipe Index. Hope that's correct...
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=96107#96107
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

Kassy, I've added this as Version C in the DIY Recipe Index. Hope that's correct...

Havana you are a gem I swear... I can't believe how you've organized that whole page of stuff..

I'm thinking with this one, if you just title it Vitamin C, E, FA + Jojoba it would be easier to distinguish..

A million thanks to you.

havana8

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
havana8 wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

Havana you are a gem I swear... I can't believe how you've organized that whole page of stuff..

I'm thinking with this one, if you just title it Vitamin C, E, FA + Jojoba it would be easier to distinguish..

A million thanks to you.

Okay! That makes perfect sense, Kassy. I will update asap. Thank you!
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
Just a quick question about the new Vit C serum recipe with jojoba oil--do you follow the same mixing directions as with the other serums (the two separate phases, etc.)? I'm eager to try this!

I'm not sure if it's the recent stress of my parents visiting, but I'm breaking out a little (invisible zits on my cheeks) and am concerned it's my recent Vit C serum batch. Sad It's different from my first in that I used glycerin, so I'm wondering if I might be reacting to that... Anyhow, thought I'd try another formulation, since it's not like I'm throwing away a $100 bottle of serum! (I'll use the glycerin one for my body.) Any help/thoughts would be appreciated!

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
KBLang wrote:
Just a quick question about the new Vit C serum recipe with jojoba oil--do you follow the same mixing directions as with the other serums (the two separate phases, etc.)? I'm eager to try this!

I'm not sure if it's the recent stress of my parents visiting, but I'm breaking out a little (invisible zits on my cheeks) and am concerned it's my recent Vit C serum batch. Sad It's different from my first in that I used glycerin, so I'm wondering if I might be reacting to that... Anyhow, thought I'd try another formulation, since it's not like I'm throwing away a $100 bottle of serum! (I'll use the glycerin one for my body.) Any help/thoughts would be appreciated!

Yes, still the same 2 phases.. The JO along with the vitamin E.

Have you tried some vigorous exfoliation for those invisible zits.. Sounds like it could be clogged pores.. Confused

Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I am back to my planning phases of developing an *oil based* C+E+Ferulic

so far,

I have rice bran oil and squalene or jojoba? as a base

Add:

TA for the C
Gamma Oryzanol for the Ferulic
D-Alpha Tocopheral capsule for the E

Rice bran oil already has quantities of E and Ferulic, but though I could boost these a little bit to make super oil based serum.

Suggestions for ratios/percentages/quantities of each to come up with a decent serum?

Thanks, BF
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Also, do any of you use niacinamide - either in DIY or store bought?

Tks again, BF
havana8

Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:53 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Also, do any of you use niacinamide - either in DIY or store bought?

Tks again, BF

This thread might help you out, BF:

Niacinamide!
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31316&highlight=niacinamide
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

Yes, still the same 2 phases.. The JO along with the vitamin E.

Have you tried some vigorous exfoliation for those invisible zits.. Sounds like it could be clogged pores.. Confused

Great! Thanks Kassy! I started exfoliating again in the last couple days, and I can tell this morning that that's helping... Looking forward to another round of Vit C. Your help is, as always, so appreciated!

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |