Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Dr. Kassy's face firming and eye cream
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
nimmi wrote:

Hello Kassy, nice to know you are from NY, Hello from another NewYorker. I am using your Vit C serum and like it very much. I have a question for you. If you could help me make a serum with Hydrolyzed collagen. I bought it and this lady at the site sent me a recipe for it too, but I am not sure:
For the serum:
2-5% hydrolyzed Collagen Concentrate
2% Glycerine
5% Stable Vit. C(I like to use Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, because it the most stable)
2-5% Of any absorbable Vitamin, or any other active you like just to increase quality
0.45% Preservative..I like to use natural preservatives
Distilled water as needed.

She also said to use any base cream:
Glycerine
MSM
Caprylic TG
Hydrosols
Esters
Milk Proteins
I am interested in using Caprylic TG. Could you please come up with something.Thank you so much.
(I have another thing common with you, my daughter is also doing Nursing @ Pace). I am sure you will come up with something.Thanks

Hi *neighbor*, and welcome to the forum Very Happy

Just an FYI for ya to consider; If you fill out a signature line with basic statistics like; age, skin concerns + typical products you use, it would be most helpful to anyone that would like to answer your questions. (Without that info provided, many might pass by your queary's if they don't have time to find those things out prior to answering.

With that said, I'm happy to offer my 2 cents.. Very Happy

I don't use any collagen concentrate products, but my guess is that it is water soluble, and your product is in liquid form. So for 2% you would use 0.6 ml (for every ounce of finished product) you are making. For 5% it's 1.5 ml. (Here's what I do know about topically applied collagen though; it won't penetrate your skin, will not generate new collagen, but will act as a really nice moisturizer.)

MAP will probably give you the most bang for your buck at 5%. It's a hydrophilic (water loving) active, and can easily be added to a little distilled water to get it pasty or liquidy, and then add that to your base cream. (1.5 grams of powder is 5%) Just an FYI, personally every time I ever formulated with this, after a month or so the product smelled like *hot dogs*. Personally, I have never found it to be 'stable'.

MSM is a nice addition to serums and creams, and I just use the contents of 1 capsule of pure 'Opti MSM' dissolved in the water phase, then added to cream or serum. (Nature's Way has no fillers!)

I love that you want to use a base that contains Capric/Caprylic Triglyceride, and I highly recommend "CeraVe" products to fill that need. I love this stuff for so many reasons. This is my favorite, and it is totally compatible to what you have in mind.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=162033&catid=10394

CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion 12 fl oz (355 ml)

Water Purified, Glycerin, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6 11, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Dimethicone, Polysorbate 20, Polyglyceryl 3 Diisostearate, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phytosphingosine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

You can leave additional 'glycerin' out, as this has plenty. I honest to God love this stuff. It mixes like a dream, absorbs super quickly, no fragrance or odor, and I love the ceramides. I can also live with the teeny bit of parabens in there.

Also check out the "face" creams they have, which might be more to your liking. Just be sure the actives you want to incorporate are compatible. (Google is the DIY'ers best friend in that regard.. Wink

Not sure exactly what you had in mind regarding "natural" preservatives... Confused Probably though, you should take a look at the Juice Beauty serums in the EDS store, because that might be an option for you also as a nice 'base'. (They're about as natural as skin care products get IMO.)

Hope that helps, and I hope that others chime in to offer suggestions for you also.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
nimmi

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
nimmi wrote:

Hello Kassy, nice to know you are from NY, Hello from another NewYorker. I am using your Vit C serum and like it very much. I have a question for you. If you could help me make a serum with Hydrolyzed collagen. I bought it and this lady at the site sent me a recipe for it too, but I am not sure:
For the serum:
2-5% hydrolyzed Collagen Concentrate
2% Glycerine
5% Stable Vit. C(I like to use Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, because it the most stable)
2-5% Of any absorbable Vitamin, or any other active you like just to increase quality
0.45% Preservative..I like to use natural preservatives
Distilled water as needed.

She also said to use any base cream:
Glycerine
MSM
Caprylic TG
Hydrosols
Esters
Milk Proteins
I am interested in using Caprylic TG. Could you please come up with something.Thank you so much.
(I have another thing common with you, my daughter is also doing Nursing @ Pace). I am sure you will come up with something.Thanks

Hi *neighbor*, and welcome to the forum Very Happy

Just an FYI for ya to consider; If you fill out a signature line with basic statistics like; age, skin concerns + typical products you use, it would be most helpful to anyone that would like to answer your questions. (Without that info provided, many might pass by your queary's if they don't have time to find those things out prior to answering.

With that said, I'm happy to offer my 2 cents.. Very Happy

I don't use any collagen concentrate products, but my guess is that it is water soluble, and your product is in liquid form. So for 2% you would use 0.6 ml (for every ounce of finished product) you are making. For 5% it's 1.5 ml. (Here's what I do know about topically applied collagen though; it won't penetrate your skin, will not generate new collagen, but will act as a really nice moisturizer.)

MAP will probably give you the most bang for your buck at 5%. It's a hydrophilic (water loving) active, and can easily be added to a little distilled water to get it pasty or liquidy, and then add that to your base cream. (1.5 grams of powder is 5%) Just an FYI, personally every time I ever formulated with this, after a month or so the product smelled like *hot dogs*. Personally, I have never found it to be 'stable'.

MSM is a nice addition to serums and creams, and I just use the contents of 1 capsule of pure 'Opti MSM' dissolved in the water phase, then added to cream or serum. (Nature's Way has no fillers!)

I love that you want to use a base that contains Capric/Caprylic Triglyceride, and I highly recommend "CeraVe" products to fill that need. I love this stuff for so many reasons. This is my favorite, and it is totally compatible to what you have in mind.

CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion 12 fl oz (355 ml)

Water Purified, Glycerin, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6 11, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Dimethicone, Polysorbate 20, Polyglyceryl 3 Diisostearate, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phytosphingosine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

You can leave additional 'glycerin' out, as this has plenty. I honest to God love this stuff. It mixes like a dream, absorbs super quickly, no fragrance or odor, and I love the ceramides. I can also live with the teeny bit of parabens in there.

Also check out the "face" creams they have, which might be more to your liking. Just be sure the actives you want to incorporate are compatible. (Google is the DIY'ers best friend in that regard.. Wink

Not sure exactly what you had in mind regarding "natural" preservatives... Confused Probably though, you should take a look at the Juice Beauty serums in the EDS store, because that might be an option for you also as a nice 'base'. (They're about as natural as skin care products get IMO.)

Hope that helps, and I hope that others chime in to offer suggestions for you also.

Thank you so much Kassy for replying. I like your ideas and defenitly welcome feedback from others.I am in my mid 50s, combination skin, no real issues except sagging at jawline and a birthmark from mouth onto cheek (nothing works on that one). Right now I am using DIY C serum and cream with Matryxil, both your recipe. At night I have started green cream and going to get stronger Retinol from ADC next week.I just want to have eventone skin. I am going to try your suggestions, I myself not a fan of glycerine. I also made the eyecream. See I am all Kassy's DIY in skincare...lol...
I'll wait a couple of days to see if others chime in too. Have a great day!
misssalvina
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
New to DYI and kind of scared.
I'm going to try Kassy's new Vit C Serum with Viterol. Everything is on the way and I'm really excited.
Kassy ...is Viterol a cream??How do you incorporate that in a serum?? Stupid question???

Thanks

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:48 am      Reply with quote
I’ve made and been using Kassy’s A+C+E serum for about four nights and am loving it. It is a much thicker gel consistency than the C+E+FA+Jojoba recipe I’ve been using and spreads on like a dream. It dries very smooth but the payoff is the feeling of my skin the next morning. Like a babe’s butt. No kidding!

For those of you who can’t use Retin-A (like me) or who just want to switch occasionally – this may just be your answer. Four nights of use certainly doesn’t give us “long term” results but I’m confident they will come!

Thank you, Kassy, for yet another brilliant recipe! This is only the second I have attempted, so for all of you new to DIY – don’t be intimidated by the ingredients! Even I could do it and not bugger it up!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Zoftig - How are Ya... wave Question: The recipe you just referred to - is this the one of page 28? I'm dying to put that one together.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sis!

Yep, that's the one..... VITAMIN A, C (20%) + RETINYL (1%) + E (1%) SERUM 4/5/10. I really liked the one with Jojoba too but this one is da bomb!

I also bought everything for the "Nourishing-Cell Stimulating Lotion" and that will be my project for today. Because my skin is so sensitive Kassy asked me to give the 4/5/10 serum a week before adding anything new. The only reaction I had was 100% positive!

I'm sure you're going to love it!
msboo
5% products discount

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone..... I've only posted 3-4 times with a find, comment or question. Just wanted you all to know I truely enjoy all the info to be seen/read about here. How helpful and interesting it is! Can't wait to mix up something soon----need to read/research a little more in order to target something specific to my needs. Want to do one thing at a time since I'm sensitive.

'Word of Mouth' is the best way to find what works here. Special THANKS to Kassy for all her input, research and knowledge!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
msboo wrote:
Special THANKS to Kassy for all her input, research and knowledge!

Thanks Cookie, and welcome to the jungle... Laughing

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
msboo
5% products discount

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
Oh Kassy, forgot to ask.... your thoughts on VersaBase cream (also comes in gel and lotion from the pharmacist)?

Earlier you mentioned using CeraVe Lotion as a base. Somewhere on here Vanicream was mentioned too. A pharmacist gave me a sample of VersaBase not long ago----like Vanicream but penetrates 4x better (results found in clinical tests for HRT transdermal delivery). I've tried to find out online what the ingredients are in VersaBase but can't (will need to ask pharmacist). CeraVe contains ceramides, etc. that the other 2 mentioned creams possibly don't.

Cool LUV CeraVe Cleansing Lotion for face & body, also moisturizing lotion and cream.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:46 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

15% Vitamin C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba

1 tsp L-AA
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
3 tsp H2O
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Vodka or Witch Hazel (vodka is best and purest though.)

I made this and love it, its not drying for my sensitive dry skin at all.... but I think I am having a couple problems with the serum...

here they are:

1) I store the serum in a glass eye drop container in the door of my fridge. When I take it out, a ring of my mixture is frozen, a couple zaps in the microwave at 2 second incrememnts usually takes care of this. I dont think its the fridge beging to cold as my fruits and veggies are fine. And anyway, its in the door of the fridge I think it cant be the coldest there.

2) When I finally get the serum to be even, white particles split and surface to the top (I think this is the ferulic acid with one of the lighter liquids in teh serum). Even after shaking vigourously I need to actually squeeze the eye dropper to get the serum before opening it. Does that make sense? So, after shaking there is no way that the mixture incorporates long enough for me to pull an even combination of the serum.

3) I am using this recipe because I like the jojoba addition. It seems the best for my skin.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't know how to solve this problem by myself. I dont even know where to start!

Thanks!

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:19 am      Reply with quote
bombshellbella wrote:

I made this and love it, its not drying for my sensitive dry skin at all.... but I think I am having a couple problems with the serum...

Jojoba solidifies in the fridge, so I think that is what you are seeing. I leave my serum in the bathroom at room tempurature. It lasts fine for 5-6 weeks, which is about how long it takes me to use it up.

I'm not sure why your serum is separating so much, could be the microwaving. Next batch you make, leave it out of the fridge and see if that improves the separation issue as well.
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Thanks shasta girl, actually I didnt notice the frozen ring till today, its been about 1 week since I have been making it and using it... so I only nuked it today.

good to know that jojoba freezes up though, thnx!

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
dancar3
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:35 am      Reply with quote
I had this same exact problem too when I made it with the jojoba oil. I also tried leaving it out of the fridge and it still separated (looked like a white glob) w/ little white particles . I haven't used a vit c serum in a few weeks but plan on using Kassie's newest one w/o jojoba and see how that one turns out. I hope you have better luck than me!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
Just popping in to share the best damn DIY calculator I ever came across;

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Calculators/Batch_Size_Calculator.aspx

Hope everyone is okee dokee and enjoying a great summer... Very Happy

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:33 am      Reply with quote
Kassy wave

How are ya!!! Had to pop in when I saw your name on the board. Thanks for the good info. Hope all is happy in Florida. Cool

Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
How often can I use the lemon peel extract? Can this replace my toner? Thanks.
Algona
5% products discount

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Where can I find the Pumpkin Seed Extract? I couldn't find it at Lotion Crafter or TPF.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Algona wrote:
Where can I find the Pumpkin Seed Extract? I couldn't find it at Lotion Crafter or TPF.

Crappola! I just had a look, and it's not listed anymore. The have "pumpkin powder", but I don't have a clue about it yet, so not sure if it can be supplemented for the PPE... Confused

Everytime I love, love, love something, it's discontinued... Crying or Very sad

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
lori67 wrote:

You could *make* a toner with it by adding stuff to it... It's too strong/harsh for all over face use as is......IMHO!

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Kassy wave

How are ya!!! Had to pop in when I saw your name on the board. Thanks for the good info. Hope all is happy in Florida. Cool

Hi yourself Sisareno ... ♥

Things are all the same crappy way as when we talked the other day... Sad

You need to c'mon down and cheer me up... Very Happy

lori67

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:07 am      Reply with quote
lori67 wrote:

You could *make* a toner with it by adding stuff to it... It's too strong/harsh for all over face use as is......IMHO![quote]

Hi Kassy,

sorry if i sound so ignorant. what do you mean by IMHO? if it is too stong for a toner, how often do i use it? also do i apply it to the entire face or just on the affected areas? thanks again.
Algona
5% products discount

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Kassy wrote
Quote:
Crappola! I just had a look, and it's not listed anymore. The have "pumpkin powder", but I don't have a clue about it yet, so not sure if it can be supplemented for the PPE...

Everytime I love, love, love something, it's discontinued...

Hi Kassy,
What can I substitute it in the Cell Stim formula? Thanks
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Algona wrote:
Kassy wrote
Quote:
Crappola! I just had a look, and it's not listed anymore. The have "pumpkin powder", but I don't have a clue about it yet, so not sure if it can be supplemented for the PPE...

Everytime I love, love, love something, it's discontinued...

Hi Kassy,
What can I substitute it in the Cell Stim formula? Thanks

Depends what you are going to use the serum for. If you aren't using it as a pre treatment for LED use, then you can incorporate a great oil soluble active to it. Co Q10 at 2% would be a great addition, which you could just mix into a little (tsp) of macadamia or grapeseed oil, then add it all together.

There are tons of great actives for different skin concerns, and the possibilities are endless as long as you do a bit of research to insure your choices are compatible.

Algona
5% products discount

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Kassy.
I'm planning to use it as a pre-treatment for LED. I didn't know I can use this formula w/out the LED use. Wow, I'm going to try that too (I'm lazy!). Laughing
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:32 am      Reply with quote
Algona wrote:
Thank you Kassy.
I'm planning to use it as a pre-treatment for LED. I didn't know I can use this formula w/out the LED use. Wow, I'm going to try that too (I'm lazy!). Laughing

Just leave the oil out of the one you want to use with the LED.

I made another one which includes oil and a few other goodies, and just use it as a skin treatment daily. I love it!

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:18 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |