Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Dr. Kassy's face firming and eye cream
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi guys:)

The thread is pretty long and havent gone through it properly yet but i want to make a vitamin c serum. The recipe i want to make has viterol a in it. A quick google search turned up a cream. Is this available in a serum for making the vitamin c serum? And where are you guys getting yours from?

Thankyou

Caroline

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
carolb69 wrote:
Hi guys:)

The thread is pretty long and havent gone through it properly yet but i want to make a vitamin c serum. The recipe i want to make has viterol a in it. A quick google search turned up a cream. Is this available in a serum for making the vitamin c serum? And where are you guys getting yours from?

Thankyou

Caroline

Hi Caroline, If I am remembering it correctly, I think that recipe used the Viterol A Lotion: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/ds-laboratories-viterol-a-p_7304.htm

HTS. Smile
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:52 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Havana for the info Very Happy

5% products discount

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:22 am      Reply with quote
I made my very first serum yesterday using what I had available.
I'm in uk and couldn't get SKB so used ultramarine. I also used anti oxidant booster instead of Vit E. I think I botched it as had to heat after final mixing to get everything to go together. I did just under 10 secs in microwave. Would that have ruined the serum nd should I start again.
It feels good on my skin but I am worried that I ruined the C content. Confused
skinsodeep

Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:41 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

A friend introduced me to EDS a few weeks ago and I've been reading up on all of these wonderful DIY Vitamin C serums since then. It can sure be overwhelming at times! I decided to try out the ever popular: Kassy's 15% Vitamin C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba.

I have an issue though. It seems as if I've run into the flaky/non-dissolving problem with the Ferulic Acid. At least, I think it's the Ferulic Acid that's causing it. I purchased my FA from Bulk Actives. Upon inspection, the FA looks to be flaky but I didn't touch it with my fingers so I can't say for sure. I thought I mixed it fairly well with the vodka. It looked milky thin in texture. I didn't stir it with my plastic stirring rod for very long though (maybe 3 minutes..?).

Questions:
1. Where do you contributors buy your Ferulic Acid from and is it possible to see a picture/note the texture?
2. What does everyone use to stir? I was sitting there stirring with a plastic stirring rod as if I were a human Kitchen Aid stand mixer. That became tiring fairly quickly. I just can't imagine doing that for an hour as some of you apparently have! Is that what this takes?? Crying or Very sad I hope not...!

Thanks everyone!!

P.S. I tried to include a bunch of pictures I took to reference for this post but apparently, EDS doesn't allow new members to post pics! Darn.
pinkpomplemousse

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Anti-Oxidant Booster (3 squirts)
Every Lipid Serum (ELS) (5 squirts)

I'm new and extremely apologetic if this has been discussed somewhere else. What is meant by these two terms?

Thanks!
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:16 am      Reply with quote
pinkpomplemousse wrote:
Anti-Oxidant Booster (3 squirts)
Every Lipid Serum (ELS) (5 squirts)

I'm new and extremely apologetic if this has been discussed somewhere else. What is meant by these two terms?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome pinkpomplemousse! wave

Those are Skinactives' products I believe.

http://www.skinactives.com/Antioxidant-Booster.html
http://www.skinactives.com/ELS-Serum-Every-Lipid-Serum-with-Ceramide.html

Hths! Smile
nani

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm new to EDS however I've been reading you guys for a while. Today I tried my first batch of c+e serum and used the following ingredients & measurements based on Kassy's c+e+jojoba and carekates original recipe. However the oils do not seem to blend with the water...I'm a bit bummed cause I don't know where it went wrong:

1/2 tsp L-AA
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
1 tsp Argan Oil
3 tsp H2O
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Glycerin
1/4 tsp Witch Hazel

Unfortunately I don't have access to ferulic acid or the SKB and really want to keep the jojoba and argan oils in the concoction as they seem to work wonders for my acne prone, milia, black head dry/oily/sensitive skin. Also I know the oils are 100% pure as I bought them at a chemist and used a syringe to measure out all the liquids..

I'd really appreciate some help.¿maybe just shaking the bottle before applying?
nani

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm new to EDS however I've been reading you guys for a while. Today I tried my first batch of c+e serum and used the following ingredients & measurements based on Kassy's c+e+jojoba and carekates original recipe. However the oils do not seem to blend with the water...I'm a bit bummed cause I don't know where it went wrong:

1/2 tsp L-AA
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
1 tsp Argan Oil
3 tsp H2O
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Glycerin
1/4 tsp Witch Hazel

Unfortunately I don't have access to ferulic acid or the SKB and really want to keep the jojoba and argan oils in the concoction as they seem to work wonders for my acne prone, milia, black head dry/oily/sensitive skin. Also I know the oils are 100% pure as I bought them at a chemist and used a syringe to measure out all the liquids..

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:15 am      Reply with quote
nani wrote:
Hi,

1/2 tsp L-AA
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
1 tsp Argan Oil
3 tsp H2O
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Glycerin
1/4 tsp Witch Hazel

Try this instead:

15% VITAMIN C SERUM WITH Jojoba & Argan Oil

- 15% LAA
- .5% Argan Oil
- 1% Jojoba Oil
- 1% Polysorbate 80
- .5% Preservative (Optiphen works nicely in acidic formulas!)
- 82% Distilled Water

*IF* you don't have Polysorbate 80, or another true emulsifier on hand, just use a 1/2 tsp of the most basic cream/lotion you have on hand...

ETA: Without an emulsifier, the oil & water will continue to separate.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
nani

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:47 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Try this instead:

15% VITAMIN C SERUM WITH Jojoba & Argan Oil

- 15% LAA
- .5% Argan Oil
- 1% Jojoba Oil
- 1% Polysorbate 80
- .5% Preservative (Optiphen works nicely in acidic formulas!)
- 82% Distilled Water

*IF* you don't have Polysorbate 80, or another true emulsifier on hand, just use a 1/2 tsp of the most basic cream/lotion you have on hand...

ETA: Without an emulsifier, the oil & water will continue to separate.

Hi kass and THANK YOU!!! could I use aloe gel as an emulsifier, also is there any natural preservative I could use ie. Tea tree oil? I live in Spain and unfortunately the ferulic acid, SKB, and polysorbate 80 are not sold to the public..I was at the chemist this morning and asked for all those ingredients... They actually asked if I was using it for anything other than personal use and looked at me as if I were crazy or something...
Wink
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
nani wrote:

Hi kass and THANK YOU!!! could I use aloe gel as an emulsifier, also is there any natural preservative I could use ie. Tea tree oil? I live in Spain and unfortunately the ferulic acid, SKB, and polysorbate 80 are not sold to the public..I was at the chemist this morning and asked for all those ingredients... They actually asked if I was using it for anything other than personal use and looked at me as if I were crazy or something...
Wink

If you are talking about a prepared aloe gel that you get from the store then yes, it will probably work.. Fresh aloe from a plant will NOT work, and just leave you with a sticky mess..(Forget the 'tea trea oil')

Grapefruit extract is considered a 'natural' preservative, if you can get a hold of it..

In general, if the necessary products for completely doing it yourself aren't available to you, there's nothing wrong with a 'Semi' DIY venture.. Get yourself a nice 12oz bottle of CeraVe Lotion, and use a bit of that for your preservative, emulsifier and thickener ingredients..

Play around with it.. You'll be surprised at the wonderful stuff you can come up with (that actually works!) Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
nani

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kass I just made my second batch after a visit to the pharmacist, he told me that in school they used electric mixers to blend the water and oil base, I was in shock and asked if the heat would not affect the L'ascorbic acid from oxidizing and he actually said it didn't as long as you used an electric hand mixer and on the lowest speed...

So I came back home and have just whipped up my second bath using the aloe gel and the mixer and it has actually worked to my amazement!! oh and the ph level is still 2.8!!!

he recommended using lecithin as an emulsifier instead of the aloe gel and the tea tree oil as a preservative. I haven't added the tea tree oil or the lecithin as i don't have any.

My question now is why not the tea tree oil as a preservative??
nani

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kass,

Sorry to bother you again, I found a place near home where I can get stearic acid & grapefruit extract. My problem now is I don't know what measurements to use of these 2 new ingredients and how to mix the stearic acid.(should i do it with witch hazel or distilled water?) my last batch I used the following measurements:

• ¾ tsp Ascorbic Acid
• 3 tsp (15 ml) Distilled H2O
• ¼ tsp (1ml) Vit E Oil
• 1 tsp (5 ml) Jojoba Oil
• ¼ tsp (1 ml) Argan Oil
• 1 tsp (5 ml) Aloe gel

Also should I change the measurements of jojoba and argan oil??

Do i do first phase of AA +H20 a second with the stearic acid, and a third with the oils and the grapefruit extract?? Now that I will be using stearic acid as an emulsifier i assume I will drop the aloe gel?

Thanks to all.
lsilva7
5% products discount

Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Can I subsitute aloe for jojoba
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
@nani; I'm at a loss for what to tell you... The recipe I posted works, but if you make all those changes I'm not sure what the result will be... You can use grapefruit extract at about 1 or 2% (I believe.)

@lsilva7; that would probably work..

namokulua

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
I'm new to this site...I've been here ALL DAY reading and researching and feeling very overwhelmed by all of this information. I want to make a VIT C cream but with all of the recipes I don't know where to start and where to buy these ingredients. THank you for your help! I wonder why they don't have propylene glycol which helps absorb?
delaylah

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
Whipped up a batch of C+E+Ferulic today...thanks to all those who contributed to this thread...took awhile to read through...but am really enjoying the DIY! Very Happy
zpegz

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Hi! I mixed up a batch of Kassy's serum last week. Checked and double checked my measurements as I went. I find the serum to be watery. So much so that it's practically absorbed by my fingers before I can even get it on my face! I had planned to use it on my neck and hands, but at this rate I'll be going through a bottle every couple of weeks. Has anyone else found it to be very watery? If so, are there any tweaks (ie: oils, etc) which might thicken it enough to be more spreadable on the face?
Thanks so much!
maryms

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Kassy - you had or have somewhere a formulation for a vitamin c serum that included msm but I cannot find it anywhere. Can you give that to us again? thanks
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:18 am      Reply with quote
maryms wrote:
Kassy - you had or have somewhere a formulation for a vitamin c serum that included msm but I cannot find it anywhere. Can you give that to us again? thanks

LOL.. You couldn't find it because it was posted on a different forum.. Here ya go;

15% Vit C Serum With MSM 1oz.

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
2 tsp Aloe Vera Gel (any cheap brand you like)
1/4 tsp virgin coconut oil (it's loaded with vit E and other goodies)
3 1/2 tsp distilled water
3000mg MSM (for me it’s 3 capsules of Opti-MSM powder)

Use 2 shot glasses..

In 1st glass; measure in the water and nuke in the microwave a few seconds (warm) put in the MSM and vit C stirring in each, go on to next glass.

In glass 2 measure in your coconut oil, add aloe and stir well.

To combine, slowly add and stir the contents of glass 1 into glass 2 a little at a time. It combines pretty well, but you can always add a bit of emulsifier if you want to.. (I didn’t, and it’s just fine.)

Put into your 1oz bottle and shake well...
You can tweak this easily to suit your needs with the addition of FA or whatever you like. For me it was just a simple way to have a great and easy serum, that includes MSM, quickly. The coconut oil is loaded with beneficial fatty acids and loads of vit E.

When you apply it, it feels a bit tacky for 3 or 4 minutes, and then absorbs right in. So far I really like it.

NOTE:

For a more opague and quickly penetrating serum, you can use 1 tsp of CeraVe Lotion and 1 tsp of Aloe Vera Gel instead of just Aloe.. (Gives a nicer feel and texture IMHO.)

Hope you like it Very Happy

maryms

Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:02 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much - it was driving me crazy. Still having a lot of trouble navigating around to find what I want.
Kassy_A wrote:
maryms wrote:

LOL.. You couldn't find it because it was posted on a different forum.. Here ya go;

15% Vit C Serum With MSM 1oz.

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
2 tsp Aloe Vera Gel (any cheap brand you like)
1/4 tsp virgin coconut oil (it's loaded with vit E and other goodies)
3 1/2 tsp distilled water
3000mg MSM (for me it’s 3 capsules of Opti-MSM powder)

Use 2 shot glasses..

In 1st glass; measure in the water and nuke in the microwave a few seconds (warm) put in the MSM and vit C stirring in each, go on to next glass.

In glass 2 measure in your coconut oil, add aloe and stir well.

To combine, slowly add and stir the contents of glass 1 into glass 2 a little at a time. It combines pretty well, but you can always add a bit of emulsifier if you want to.. (I didn’t, and it’s just fine.)

Put into your 1oz bottle and shake well...
You can tweak this easily to suit your needs with the addition of FA or whatever you like. For me it was just a simple way to have a great and easy serum, that includes MSM, quickly. The coconut oil is loaded with beneficial fatty acids and loads of vit E.

When you apply it, it feels a bit tacky for 3 or 4 minutes, and then absorbs right in. So far I really like it.

NOTE:

For a more opague and quickly penetrating serum, you can use 1 tsp of CeraVe Lotion and 1 tsp of Aloe Vera Gel instead of just Aloe.. (Gives a nicer feel and texture IMHO.)

Hope you like it Very Happy
Cecil

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,

About to begin my diy adventure (2nd time) I've come up with a recipe, that I would like to share before actually trying it. I'm not sure if it makes sense at all, that's why.

I'd like to try an ACE without water,because that will cause the LAA to oxidise quickly. I'm not fond of the silicone base either.

This is what I want to try:

Oil/wax base: grapeseed oil, almond oil, avocado oil, stabilizer & emulsifier. (I'll try to make it a bit fluid) Total: 70% of the batch.

Adding:
LAA 10%, solved in alcohol
Retinol, 2%
D-tocopherol 2%
Lysolecithin 5%
ELS 6%
lactic acid 5%

I'd like your thoughts about this, since I've learned so much already from all of you, reading and gathering info.

I know the pH should be 3,5 in the end, but if its higher, how should I adjust it? Ive read baking soda, but some also advise against it, so I really don't know.

Thanks in advance! Oh, and I'm dutch, so please forgive any "strange" words or spelling...

Cecil
maryms

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:23 am      Reply with quote
I recently started using the C serum (Kassys recipe) but also a Hyalunic Acid serum with glycerin and vitamin e oil. Now my skin is breaking out and I have a lot of blackheads. Normally I have neither- I take excellent care of my skin. I read another person somewhere had made this comment but I can't find it and don't remember what the replies were. Can someone help me out with this please? All this work but now my skin looks awful. Thanks!!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:49 am      Reply with quote
maryms wrote:
I recently started using the C serum (Kassys recipe) but also a Hyalunic Acid serum with glycerin and vitamin e oil. Now my skin is breaking out and I have a lot of blackheads. Normally I have neither- I take excellent care of my skin. I read another person somewhere had made this comment but I can't find it and don't remember what the replies were. Can someone help me out with this please? All this work but now my skin looks awful. Thanks!!

Some people find glycerin breaks them out, not sure which recipe you are using Kassy has many posted here? Some have also reported blackheads with Vitamin C, usually it is caused by oxidation for many possible reasons. you might want to try proplyne glycol instead of glycerin

Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |