Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lumigan for eyelash growth?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:46 am      Reply with quote
I am going to research a little further on the fat loss issue. I could slap some Lumigan on my butt to help reduce the fat there, but don't want to end up with a hairy butt Bad Grin

For those who have experienced dark spots, didn't you notice it when it first started - so you could stop using the product before the problem got serious?

Thanks BF
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:13 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
For those who have experienced dark spots, didn't you notice it when it first started - so you could stop using the product before the problem got serious?

Well, first of all, it's not really "spots", more of an all-over-the-area shade of purple. In fact, it is purple waaaaay out of the area where I apply the solution.

Looking back at my close-up photos, I can see my eyelids had already started to turn purplish at the 6 week mark, even before the lashes had started to grow.

I guess, at the time, I just assumed my eyes were a little irritated from the Lumigan.

My lashes then started to look long around 10 weeks, and they grew dark around week 16 (which was nice for me because I'm a blonde). By that time, I already had severe "dark circles", and people were in fact commenting on how "tired" I looked!

I now have even more discoloration, but since I also have really nice and dark looong lashes, I continue with Lumigan for the time being and just use a lot of foundation all around my eyelids and below my eyes when I want to look presentable. Which is a bummer in itself, because heavy coverage around your eyes just makes you look older.

But, to sum it up, the skin discoloration is definitely not attractive. I wonder if it's supposed to go away once you stop using the product.
NishaGh1
5% products discount

Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I am going to research a little further on the fat loss issue. I could slap some Lumigan on my butt to help reduce the fat there, but don't want to end up with a hairy butt Bad Grin

Thanks BF

Hahaha...PLEASE let us know about the fat loss. I don't want my eyes looking hollow and tired. That would be reason for me to stop using Lumigan.
NishaGh1
5% products discount

Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:41 am      Reply with quote
Swedish_Charlotte wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

Well, first of all, it's not really "spots", more of an all-over-the-area shade of purple. In fact, it is purple waaaaay out of the area where I apply the solution.

Looking back at my close-up photos, I can see my eyelids had already started to turn purplish at the 6 week mark, even before the lashes had started to grow.

I guess, at the time, I just assumed my eyes were a little irritated from the Lumigan.

My lashes then started to look long around 10 weeks, and they grew dark around week 16 (which was nice for me because I'm a blonde). By that time, I already had severe "dark circles", and people were in fact commenting on how "tired" I looked!

I now have even more discoloration, but since I also have really nice and dark looong lashes, I continue with Lumigan for the time being and just use a lot of foundation all around my eyelids and below my eyes when I want to look presentable. Which is a bummer in itself, because heavy coverage around your eyes just makes you look older.

But, to sum it up, the skin discoloration is definitely not attractive. I wonder if it's supposed to go away once you stop using the product.

You would rather have long lashes and severe dark circles? I would try checking out other options if I were you. what if it's permanent?
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
NishaGh1 wrote:
You would rather have long lashes and severe dark circles? I would try checking out other options if I were you. what if it's permanent?

If it's permanent, it won't matter if I stop using Lumigan or not. The damage is already done.

And there are no alternatives to Travatan and Lumigan/Latisse, no matter what certain cosmetic companies try to tell us.

There used to be (Jan Marini), but not since 2007 when the patent holder Allergan cracked down on them. The "new" product Jan Marini sells now contains no active ingredient. Neither do any of the other long lash products/cosmetics that are being sold for an arm and a leg.
ammoniasmith
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
So after 4 full weeks, I have longer lashes. I measure by crimping my eyelashes with my eyelash curler and they never used to go over the top of the metal bar. Now I have many lashes that definitely extend past the top of the metal bar on my eyelash curler.

I have been having worse undereye circles though. I am pretty sure it is due to the Lumigan/Travatan solution. I am not deterred though because I have always had annoying undereye circles. Another strange side-effect is the direction of growth of the eyelashes are not uniform. Some are very curled upwards and most are still straight. I have been brushing them and crimping to keep them as uniform as possible. I don't mind too much so far. I will try to report back later with anything new.
semayden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
This hyperpigmentation (darkening/purpling) of lids that some of you get...

Been thinking about this one - and wondering if most of you are blonde/redheaded?

Any brunettes (medium dark-very dark ones) getting this? I am medium brunette and don't have this discoloration.

Be interesting to hear about this...
NishaGh1
5% products discount

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
semayden wrote:

Been thinking about this one - and wondering if most of you are blonde/redheaded?

Any brunettes (medium dark-very dark ones) getting this? I am medium brunette and don't have this discoloration.

I'm darker skinned (Indian) and am not seeing noticeable darkening, but I already have dark circles.
semayden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
NishaGh1 wrote:
semayden wrote:

I'm darker skinned (Indian) and am not seeing noticeable darkening, but I already have dark circles.

Now, that's interesting to me, because I, too, naturally have a tendency toward dark circles! But DEFINITELY no worsening with the Lumigan.

Any more blondes/brunettes want to share?
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
semayden wrote:

Dark blonde with green eyes. medium light skin, and definitely a noticable hint of red/purple.

I'm guessing that the Bimatoprost doesn't discriminate - if you happen to get it, you get it. If anything, is is probably just more visible in pale skin.

I wish I knew of some Glaucoma forum. Since Lumigan has been prescribed to those people for many, many years by now, they probably know all about the different side effects and what to do about them!
semayden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Swedish_Charlotte wrote:
semayden wrote:

Dark blonde with green eyes. medium light skin, and definitely a noticable hint of red/purple.

I'm guessing that the Bimatoprost doesn't discriminate - if you happen to get it, you get it. If anything, is is probably just more visible in pale skin.

I wish I knew of some Glaucoma forum. Since Lumigan has been prescribed to those people for many, many years by now, they probably know all about the different side effects and what to do about them!

First of all, google 'Glaucoma forums?' and loads should come up for you. Whether they are discussing their eye drops, I can't say.

Secondly, some people rave about using Haemorrhoid cream on their undereye bags and dark circles (yes, it's a known and tried 'models' secret!). Doesn't work for eberyone, and you may not like the idea. Don't know the ingredients...

Thirdly, I found that Avon's Anew Clinical Eye Lift lightened my life-long dark undereye circles very efficiently. Maybe it would help you all around the eye (ask me for more detail if interested in that one).

Fourthly, whilst googling, I found that something called 'Extreme Eye Rescue' has a raving following for 'dark eye circle' victims! It's by Isabelle Pelle, and I have no idea of prices (might be expensive).

I just think it's such a shame that you can't relax and really enjoy your lashes because of the darkened skin!! Sad
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
semayden wrote:

I am brunette and medium skin and it happened to me. It got dark on my lids and inner corners and lower corners. Looks bad.

I HAD to find an alternative. And it can always get worse so stopping was a good idea FOR ME.
semayden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
wenrow wrote:
semayden wrote:

I am brunette and medium skin and it happened to me. It got dark on my lids and inner corners and lower corners. Looks bad.

I HAD to find an alternative. And it can always get worse so stopping was a good idea FOR ME.

Are you? Brunette I mean? Because looking at your photo's I always got the impression you were a redhead (but brown eyed). 'Aint that strange? I expect it's just the lighting in the pics... Smile
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
semayden wrote:
I just think it's such a shame that you can't relax and really enjoy your lashes because of the darkened skin!! Sad

Thank you semayden. The things is that these creams target "normal" dark circles, and such are caused by thin skin and visible underlying blood vessels - not by superficial skin discolorations.

This Lumigan effect is definitely topical. It's almost like a bleaching cream might be the answer, but who wants to put that near your eyes?

I guess it is difficult to imagine what the purple lids look like for someone who doesn't suffer from it, but I can say it's so distinct, I would be able to pick out a fellow Latisse user in the crowd from the red "Panda Eyes" alone! It is definitely not a cool "eye shadow" look at all, like some people have suggested. More like an unhealthy "my boyfriend broke up with me and I've been up crying all night" look. Or, "I bought some cheap eye makeup and got a severe allergic reaction to it".

I'm confused as to why the official Latisse site just barely mentions it when it is a MAJOR, serious, and very unattractive side effect if you happen to get it.
Magica
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm...I've got slight discoloration from using Lilash. I was thinking about switching to Lumigan because of the cost. But if it could actually make the problem worse, I should probably keep splurging. Confused

Swedish_Charlotte, have your eyelids gone an even darker purple than mine? I don't really mind the color they have now, but with my fair skin, I'd probably end up looking like a zombie with darker lids. Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:32 am      Reply with quote
Magica wrote:
Hmmm...I've got slight discoloration from using Lilash. I was thinking about switching to Lumigan because of the cost. But if it could actually make the problem worse, I should probably keep splurging. Confused

Swedish_Charlotte, have your eyelids gone an even darker purple than mine? I don't really mind the color they have now, but with my fair skin, I'd probably end up looking like a zombie with darker lids. Wink

Holy Moly, Magica! Are these your lashes from Lilash, or what? Please tell!
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Magica wrote:

My lashes look similar to yours in length and darkness, but it's hard to tell exactly how purple your skin is from that picture. I do see you have some discoloration of exactly the same kind as I have. If you have another picture, I could probably give you a better answer.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:56 am      Reply with quote
wenrow wrote:
aa6660 wrote:
What tint do you recommend. My lashes are still a bit lighter at the ends. I have seen no effect on the color from the lumigan.

1000 Hours Eyelash Tint. I use the black. Blue Black is supposed to make them look shinier but I did not notice that.
http://www.parnellpharmacy.co.nz/afawcs0111601/CATID=5/ID=107/RID=/Eyelash-Tint.html

This goes for $25 retail but Parnell charges $13.

They will not charge until it is shipping out.

I just want point out in case some don't notice but on that page I put up there is a drop down menu up to the upper left of the page. It is for currency. You can choose whatever country you need. So at first it has NZ dollars and it is $21 when in US it is $13. and about $4 for shipping. Man I pay way more shipping for Ebay purchases that are domestic!
Magica
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:10 am      Reply with quote
Swedish_Charlotte wrote:
Magica wrote:

My lashes look similar to yours in length and darkness, but it's hard to tell exactly how purple your skin is from that picture. I do see you have some discoloration of exactly the same kind as I have. If you have another picture, I could probably give you a better answer.

Hope this shows up better.

It's not too bad, but I don't want it to get worse! I have no discoloration underneath my eyes, only on the upper eyelids.

Semayden- yes, those are from about 6 months of Lilash. I did use Revitalash for a few months last year with pretty good results, but it irritated my eyes. Stopped for about eight weeks and then started on Lilash when my lashes reverted back to their original length. Couldn't have that! Laughing

The active ingredient in Lilash is a prostaglandin analogue (20-Trinor-prosta-5Z), so that's probably why it has the same possible side effects as Lumigan. Sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Magica wrote:
It's not too bad, but I don't want it to get worse! I have no discoloration underneath my eyes, only on the upper eyelids.
(

Yes, my eyelids look about the same as yours. But, I also do have the same purple below my eyes, and in the outer corners of my eyes too, though.

It really is "circling" my eyes, even though I only use Lumigan very sparingly on the upper lashes. It's weird that the miscoloration effect "spreads out" far away from where it is applied.
Magica
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Swedish_Charlotte wrote:

Yes, my eyelids look about the same as yours. But, I also do have the same purple below my eyes, and in the outer corners of my eyes too, though.

It really is "circling" my eyes, even though I only use Lumigan very sparingly on the upper lashes. It's weird that the miscoloration effect "spreads out" far away from where it is applied.

Yes, that's pretty strange. I guess it has to be very potent for it to 'travel' underneath the skin in that way. That does scare me a bit since I already know I get discoloration from prostaglandin. Lumigan is probably stronger than Lilash, so I might just stick with LL for now.

Hope it doesn't get any worse for you though.
My discoloration showed up less than a month in and has looked the same since then, so at least it isn't worsening with my continuing Lilash use. I'd think the same would be the case with you and Lumigan.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Magica wrote:
My discoloration showed up less than a month in and has looked the same since then, so at least it isn't worsening with my continuing Lilash use. I'd think the same would be the case with you and Lumigan.

Magica, I think you are right.

Did you also get it on Revitalash, and if so, would you say the problem faded when you went off Revitalash (until it came back on Lilash)?

I'm asking because I'm hoping it isn't permanent, but no one seems to really have an answer to that.
Magica
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
Swedish_Charlotte wrote:

Magica, I think you are right.

Did you also get it on Revitalash, and if so, would you say the problem faded when you went off Revitalash (until it came back on Lilash)?

I'm asking because I'm hoping it isn't permanent, but no one seems to really have an answer to that.

I did get discoloration on Revitalash, but it looked different from what I have now. Much more red and sore looking. My eyes got really dry when I was using it as well, so it might have been an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients.
After I stopped, the side effects went away pretty fast, I think all the redness was gone after about a week or two.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Magica wrote:
After I stopped, the side effects went away pretty fast, I think all the redness was gone after about a week or two.

Ah. Thank you. That's good to know. Smile

Now, if we could only figure out a way to get rid of it while remaining on the product...
semayden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
Swedish_Charlotte wrote:
semayden wrote:

Thank you semayden. The things is that these creams target "normal" dark circles, and such are caused by thin skin and visible underlying blood vessels - not by superficial skin discolorations.

This Lumigan effect is definitely topical. It's almost like a bleaching cream might be the answer, but who wants to put that near your eyes?

I guess it is difficult to imagine what the purple lids look like for someone who doesn't suffer from it, but I can say it's so distinct, I would be able to pick out a fellow Latisse user in the crowd from the red "Panda Eyes" alone! It is definitely not a cool "eye shadow" look at all, like some people have suggested. More like an unhealthy "my boyfriend broke up with me and I've been up crying all night" look. Or, "I bought some cheap eye makeup and got a severe allergic reaction to it".

I'm confused as to why the official Latisse site just barely mentions it when it is a MAJOR, serious, and very unattractive side effect if you happen to get it.

SC, the thing is to try to use what knowledge we have about Lumigan to see what might be causing this.

You say that normal dark circles/purplishness is caused by thin skin and underlying blood vessels.

Then you say that Lumigan actually seems to give 'superficial skin discoloration'.

My question would be, how do you know that the former is not the case for you and others? By this I mean the 'thin skin and vessels showing through' effect could quite possibly be what is taking place with the Lumigan.

We've already been reminded of possible peri-orbital fat loss, yes? Also, is it not possible that as the Lumigan increases (how, we don't quite know) it's activity in the lashline - that this same activity may lead to an increase in bloodflow, leading to a kind of congestion in some people and so to purple lids?

On the other hand, if the darkening/purpling is due to increase in melanocyte production in the follicles - I suppose that could backtrack into surrounding tissue, couldn't it?

Sorry, I am not a scientist - just interested and frustrated on your behalf.

I suppose I just think it may be worth at least trying an inexpensive product that supposedly decreases dark circles - just in case it does help to alleviate the problem...

Reading back on this post, I was tempted to delete it as a load of rubbish - but decided to throw it out to you, in case there's a small crumb of helpful thought in the mix! Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |