Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Lumigan for eyelash growth?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:39 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:

Personally I use revitalash 4 X a week from the start and never had the falling out situation.

Since slapped with the Allergan lawsuit a few years back, Revitalash no longer contains any active ingredients so you can't compare it to the ones that do.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:29 am      Reply with quote
To sister sweets a question please. The revitalash you are seeing results is it the old formula with active ingredients, or the new without? I know sometimes places have stock that does not get pulled, or it could be that you purchased before FDA stuck it's nose in?

TIA

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Concerning the massive lash shedding some people are experiencing... I have never had that happen while on Lumigan/Travatan and I am still using it daily for over 3 months. Then again I am not seeing HUGE lashes either. Just longer thicker lashes. Is this a problem with only some individuals?
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:34 am      Reply with quote
There have been multiple posts on periodic lash shedding with Lumigan. I have not experienced "all at once" shedding. My lashes stay pretty much consistent all the time with various length of individual lashes. They go though their cycles of growth, falling off, and re-emerging again, very much as normal lashes without lash growth serums. But unlike regular lashes they are long and very nice looking. I get comments on my lashes, and that I should be a lash model all the time Laughing
bluema

Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi ladies. I've read this forum from page 1 to last, and I've done some research on the way to share back with you. It seems a lot of people are worried about their eyelashes shedding all at once, while others have not observed this problem. I've found the following quote on revotom dot com that may help us understand why this may be -

"The eyelash life cycle includes an anagen phase, a telogen phase and a catagen phase. Eyelashes grow during the anagen phase, rest in place during the telegen phase, and experience apoptosis and shed during the catagen phase. So, to foster enhanced eyelash growth, we must elongate the anagen phase of the eyelash life cycle.

The entire eyelash life cycle is completed in approximately four months. The telogen phase is the longest phase in the cycle and the catagen phase is the shortest, lasting just 15 days. Most individuals have 100 to 150 eyelashes per eyelid, with an average length of 6mm per lash. Interestingly, each lash may be in a different stage of the life cycle at any given time. The particular timing of each phase may explain why some patients require a full eight to 12 weeks to notice significant eyelash growth after starting Latisse therapy."

So in essence, it seems some people enter the catagen phase more uniformly with their eyelashes than others who may be more lucky to have more varied eyelash life cycle, who may notice a faster result along with more gradual/natural shedding.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone found any info as to the thinning reported by some users, what I am referring to is people have said the actual diameter of the individual lashes are smaller then when they began using the product????
Any help is most appreciated, as I have ordered some and do not want to thin my lashes.....who would. 

TIA

5% products discount

Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
I used Lilash for exactly six days. After about three days, I had extreme sensitivity to light and I had developed the most horrible dark reddish-purple undereye circles I've ever seen. I began doing some research, primarily in the online glaucoma forums, and found this info from a recorded online chat:

P: I've been hearing lots of complaints, mainly from women, about prostaglandins, particularly Lumigan, causing dark circles around the eyes. They are not happy about looking sick. My doctor thinks the dark circles may fade in time "like a tan." What do you think?

Dr. Rick Wilson: Lumigan is by far the prostaglandin most likely to cause dark circles or patches of dark skin around the eyes, or hair growth on the cheek. If that is a problem, the patient should switch to Xalatan, and if the problem persists try Rescula. The chemical in the prostaglandins is similar to the chemical that causes you to tan. If you stay on the medication the dark area will stay dark or get worse. As soon as you stop, it will start to fade.

I can't imagine how much worse my dark circles would have gotten if I had continued using Lilash, since by day 7 (after six nights of applying it) I looked so terrible that I decided no amount of lashes were worth looking that bad. They do fade, but so slowly that you begin to wonder if they won't.

I know the circles and the light sensitivity are/were some kind of reaction to the actual medication itself in the product, and not because of sloppy application. Lilash applies very easily and neatly, similar to a mascara wand with a tiny eyeliner brush at the end. There is also a "well" in the top of the tube to wipe excess product in. I definitely didn't have any of the liquid leaking around my eyes.
isa09
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:02 am      Reply with quote
i went the opposite direction from most of you.
I started with lumigan for 4 months and had what i thought was good results, that is , until I saw what Lattise had done for a couple of my friends... so I bought Lattise.
yes i know that both are Allergan products, but I also know that medication formulations vary in different countries.
I am convinced that I've gotten even more dramatic results after 3 weeks... going for a little more length and fullness... then back to Lumigan or careprost for maintenence
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:49 am      Reply with quote
isa09 wrote:
I started with lumigan for 4 months and had what i thought was good results, that is , until I saw what Lattise had done for a couple of my friends... so I bought Lattise.
yes i know that both are Allergan products, but I also know that medication formulations vary in different countries.

Whatever makes you happy, but you are mistaken if you believe the products differ - they do not. The contents are 100% identical.
andrina
5% products discount

Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:20 am      Reply with quote
Swedish_Charlotte wrote:
isa09 wrote:

Whatever makes you happy, but you are mistaken if you believe the products differ - they do not. The contents are 100% identical.

I agree, if you check the listed ingredients on both Latisse and Lumigan, there is absolutely no difference.

Allergen had to change the name of their product so that they could market it for eyelash growth. Also technically it is not ethical for doctors to write out a prescription to a patient for a condition that they do not have (i.e. Lumigan for a patient without Glaucoma). Hence the two identical products Latisse & Lumigan used for two different reasons (one medical and the other esthetic) had to be marketed under two different names.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:15 am      Reply with quote
I have decided not to use Lumigan or Latisse, at least until more information is known.

In the meantime, I would like to know which other lash serums (if any) are known to produce real results?

I may look into other formulations if they have been shown to be effective?

If there is a better thread for this question, please let me know as well.

Thanks! BF
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I have decided not to use Lumigan or Latisse, at least until more information is known.

In the meantime, I would like to know which other lash serums (if any) are known to produce real results?

I may look into other formulations if they have been shown to be effective?

Real results? No. The active ingredient that makes your lashes grow is prostaglandin (bimatoprost and its siblings), and if the product doesn't contain it, you will not see any true effect.

Although there is something to be said for the imaginary results (placebo!) you hear about from some people, raving about everything from "lash oils" to near magical herbal potions... Wink Hope springs eternal...

But you need prostaglandin of one kind or the other to make it happen.
ricayhermosa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:16 am      Reply with quote
You can look at the RapidLash thread. It seems that some people get *real* results.
Aviano
5% products discount

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
Swedish_Charlotte wrote:

Real results? No. The active ingredient that makes your lashes grow is prostaglandin (bimatoprost and its siblings), and if the product doesn't contain it, you will not see any true effect.

Although there is something to be said for the imaginary results (placebo!) you hear about from some people, raving about everything from "lash oils" to near magical herbal potions... Wink Hope springs eternal...

But you need prostaglandin of one kind or the other to make it happen.

I don't know if this is exactly true. I certainly have seen real results (thicker and longer lashes) after using Talika Lipocils. No, they're not as long as the lashes some get from Latisse/Lumigan or other prostaglandin products but I definitely noticed a positive change in my lashes.

Additionally, many others have gotten visible and positive results from using other non-prostaglandin lash products, to include Ardell, Mavala, castor oil, the reformulated Jan Marini or Revitalash, etc. Why would you doubt that they are seeing real growth and/or thickness simply because they aren't getting the same effects as, for example, Lumigan?

I don't know exactly why the non-prostaglandin products work so well for some and not for others, but it's obviously as complicated as why some consistently experience great results with Lumigan (etc.) and others develop the spindly, thin lashes and/or excessive fall-out.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
I have used Talika as well as Isomers lash product and when I used it consistently I saw longer thicker very conditioned lashes. They do not darken so others would notice when I was wearing mascara. I have good lashes, but they are very pale even though I have very dark hair and eyes. Genetics are just strange sometimes.
From the pics I have seen Lumigan ect. do grow them longer, however I can attest to the fact I had great results with the above mentioned products. Every one's results seem to be different. If these prostaglandin products are working for some with no adverse effects I say go for it, if they cause negative reactions or you are conserned with the risks it is nice to know an alternative may just work for you if you are diligent with usage and have patience. I saw results quickly, it may take longer for some.

IMHO

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
I have used Talika as well as Isomers lash product and when I used it consistently I saw longer thicker very conditioned lashes. They do not darken so others would notice when I was wearing mascara. I have good lashes, but they are very pale even though I have very dark hair and eyes. Genetics are just strange sometimes.
From the pics I have seen Lumigan ect. do grow them longer, however I can attest to the fact I had great results with the above mentioned products. Every one's results seem to be different. If these prostaglandin products are working for some with no adverse effects I say go for it, if they cause negative reactions or you are conserned with the risks it is nice to know an alternative may just work for you if you are diligent with usage and have patience. I saw results quickly, it may take longer for some.

IMHO

I completely agree. There are people confirming real eye lash growth without the use of prostaglandin.

I'm using Lumigan and so far, I haven't had any problems. The upper lid of mine is a little purple though, but some concealer can just cover it up.
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:19 am      Reply with quote
funkydory wrote:
I completely agree. There are people confirming real eye lash growth without the use of prostaglandin.

Yeah, but realistically, when you look at their own before and after pix, there is absolutely no difference to an outsider. I believe a lot of it is wishful thinking. If you spend $30 on a beauty product, you so want to believe it works. The cosmetic industry prays on such customers. The hope in a jar syndrome.

There is also a whole lot of misconceptions about Jan Marini, Revitalash since they did, at one point before they got sued, contain prostaglandin and therefore indeed worked. The prostaglandin is what made those products successful. But that was some years ago now. Sure, "emollient oils" (and whatever else they market their content as these days) will make your lashes look darker, but I don't see how it could possibly grow them...

I'm all for finding an alternative to the prostaglandin products (Latisse, Lilash, Lumigan, etc) as I truly hate the nasty side effects, but so far, every time someone raves about the fabulous (other) products they have bought, I notice there simply is no visual result to back it up even though we politely tell the enthusiastic user that "they look great"...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:28 am      Reply with quote
Swedish_Charlotte,

With all due respect,I think on this subject we must just politly agree to disagree, I worked as a liscensed cosmitoligist for many years and have seen things as simple as massaging Listerine on the scalp once/twice a week encourage thicker hair growth, it unclogs the folicles and allows more air to reach them also stimulates circulation, hence more blood flow and more blood flow brings nutrients to the folicle. My oldest child now 28 was on birth control pills and developed blood clots, put on heperin in hospital and then coumidin for a year+ her gourgous thick hair thinned horribly. I have a recepie for an oil to stimulate hair growth (jojoba and EO's) I mixes it up for her and she used it for about six months, made her a fresh batch as needed, her hair is back to it's crowning glory, thick, full, shiney and beautiful.
Rogain, Folicure and other products work very well for many.
I see it is difficult for you to accept other things improve legnth and thickness of lashes, you are indeed entiteled to your opinion, I know other products have worked for me not as dramatic as Prostaglandian products, but they did indeed work. The people who commented to me on my lashes had no idea I was even using anything. The lovely lady who did my nails every two weeks, woman at my local Walgreens, I did not go around telling people I am using Talika to get better lashes, it just would never cross my mind to do that. My point is people noticed a difference and they didn't feel obligated to placate me that something I was using had given the desired result. I may even try Lumagan at some point, shedding, darkening of irises not an issue, what concerns me enough to hold off is reasons here and on other sites is people reporting thinning of the actual diameter of the lash itself. That is a major concern for me, I want to find out more about this issue ie is it permanant? No way would I risk that! I can only speak for myself.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:48 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Swedish_Charlotte,

With all due respect,I think on this subject we must just politly agree to disagree, I worked as a liscensed cosmitoligist for many years and have seen things as simple as massaging Listerine on the scalp once/twice a week encourage thicker hair growth, it unclogs the folicles and allows more air to reach them also stimulates circulation, hence more blood flow and more blood flow brings nutrients to the folicle. My oldest child now 28 was on birth control pills and developed blood clots, put on heperin in hospital and then coumidin for a year+ her gourgous thick hair thinned horribly. I have a recepie for an oil to stimulate hair growth (jojoba and EO's) I mixes it up for her and she used it for about six months, made her a fresh batch as needed, her hair is back to it's crowning glory, thick, full, shiney and beautiful.
Rogain, Folicure and other products work very well for many.
I see it is difficult for you to accept other things improve legnth and thickness of lashes, you are indeed entiteled to your opinion, I know other products have worked for me not as dramatic as Prostaglandian products, but they did indeed work. The people who commented to me on my lashes had no idea I was even using anything. The lovely lady who did my nails every two weeks, woman at my local Walgreens, I did not go around telling people I am using Talika to get better lashes, it just would never cross my mind to do that. My point is people noticed a difference and they didn't feel obligated to placate me that something I was using had given the desired result. I may even try Lumagan at some point, shedding, darkening of irises not an issue, what concerns me enough to hold off is reasons here and on other sites is people reporting thinning of the actual diameter of the lash itself. That is a major concern for me, I want to find out more about this issue ie is it permanant? No way would I risk that! I can only speak for myself.

I am happy if you are happy with the products you use. But nowhere have I seen any independent scientific test research that, for instance, Listerine promotes hair growth. If that was the case, wouldn't Listerine immediately re-licence their product for such use, considering the substantial money to be made on hair loss products? Rogaine did. Latisse did.

Again, I respect your opinion and personal choice. I just have a hard time accepting a mere warm fuzzy feeling and the "people tell me I look great" statements as proof of anything - I just prefer to see actual independent lab results to believe it.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:46 am      Reply with quote
I believe. Listerine sells enough as mouth wash. I am not saying it will grow hair I am saying the cleaning of the follicle unclogging as it were allows hair to grow back thicker.
As far as people saying "you look great" again not what I am saying people who did not know I was using a product on my lashes would comment on how long and thick my lashes were. There is a difference, these were people who saw me regularly with mascara on, as well as total strangers just noticing my lashes. I have decent lashes to start with but using the product, my lashes would scrape on my glasses, not so when I stopped. If you want to know why I am not using now, I am caring for my dying father, it is a daunting task at best. I adore him and this is my choice. I just don't have much time for me, and my lashes aren't a priority at this time in my life. This forum is my little distraction, a little time I take for myself, and I really enjoy learning from others as well as sharing.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:56 am      Reply with quote
I don't believe other products (without prostaglandins) do much of anything either. I had instant darkening and thickness when I put oil on my eyelashes but I wouldn't call that "real" results. It was all superficial as the results disappeared when I washed it away. I might as well wear mascara.

I have had some 3 to 4 millimeters of growth using the Lumigan/Travoprost combo for the last 3 months. Now that is significant and visibly noticeable to other people!

As for the thinning of the lashes, I wonder if others are not getting enough protein? I eat a lot of protein and my hair and nails grow like weeds. Sadly, I was genetically cursed with short eyelashes thus I need to use a drug to enhance it. HAHA!!
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
ammoniasmith wrote:
I have had some 3 to 4 millimeters of growth using the Lumigan/Travoprost combo for the last 3 months. Now that is significant and visibly noticeable to other people!

ammoniasmith, is there any particular reason why you combine the two instead of just going for one or the other? I was my understanding that they are very similar, basically just competing brands with very slight chemical differences so why not only use Lumigan (which costs slightly less)? Just curious.

I'm considering switching over to Travoprost if only to see if the skin redness improves any, but it appears they also share the exact same side effects. Any opinions? Thanks! Smile
Flossie30
5% products discount

Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
Swedish_Charlotte wrote:
funkydory wrote:

Yeah, but realistically, when you look at their own before and after pix, there is absolutely no difference to an outsider. I believe a lot of it is wishful thinking. If you spend $30 on a beauty product, you so want to believe it works. The cosmetic industry prays on such customers. The hope in a jar syndrome.

I'm all for finding an alternative to the prostaglandin products (Latisse, Lilash, Lumigan, etc) as I truly hate the nasty side effects, but so far, every time someone raves about the fabulous (other) products they have bought, I notice there simply is no visual result to back it up even though we politely tell the enthusiastic user that "they look great"...

Check out the Rapidlash thread. I think those posters do indeed show visible results (pics included).

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Swedish_Charlotte wrote:

ammoniasmith, is there any particular reason why you combine the two instead of just going for one or the other? I was my understanding that they are very similar, basically just competing brands with very slight chemical differences so why not only use Lumigan (which costs slightly less)? Just curious.

I'm considering switching over to Travoprost if only to see if the skin redness improves any, but it appears they also share the exact same side effects. Any opinions? Thanks! Smile

I read somewhere that studies have shown that the combination of the 2 grows longer lashes than either one but I can't find the source now. Someone else in this long thread mentioned that as well.

Also I saw one doctor on Realself.com say that Travatan was better than Lumigan but he didn't say why exactly. So I thought I would give it a try. The Travatan didn't cost that much on AllDayChemist.com. I think you could try switching to see if that would alleviate the redness.
Swedish_Charlotte
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Flossie30 wrote:

Check out the Rapidlash thread. I think those posters do indeed show visible results (pics included).

I'm pretty sure Rapidlash contains prostaglandins.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |