Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Moroccan Oil - hype or worth it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
I thought that anything we apply to our hair is just a cosmetic fix. Our hair is, in fact, dead once it comes through the skin - and it is physically impossible to regenerate something that is dead. We can, of course, try to nourish the scalp and feed the hair that is yet to appear.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I thought that anything we apply to our hair is just a cosmetic fix. Our hair is, in fact, dead once it comes through the skin - and it is physically impossible to regenerate something that is dead. We can, of course, try to nourish the scalp and feed the hair that is yet to appear.

I think you're right Keliu. It's probably more about scalp and follicle health in order to have healthy looking hair and of course gentle products along with a good diet.
Sasha T.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Brierrose,
That's where its a little deceiving, you would think with the name moroccan oil your receiving an exotic treatment but actually if you look at the ingredient list that Keliu posted on Dec 13th you'll see that it is argan oil that they use which is a great nourishing oil but in this case it is the 6th ingredient on the list. The first 3 main ingredients are silicone's which are used to coat the hair and give it that smooth silky feeling. In order to receive any benefit from natural ingredients they need to penetrate the cuticle and deposit moisture to the cortex. It's very unlikely that there is any benefit from that ingredient, I'm sure its used more for the branding of the product. With that being said remember this product is a styling aid not a treatment. For anyone looking to repair damaged hair there are 3 key things you need to know, first it's important to properly cleanse the hair and remove any product build-up, second the scalp needs to be nourished to stimulate healthy hair growth and most importantly you need to rehydrate the hair. Yes, Keliu that is true "you can't regenerate something that is dead", but we do need to replenish the moisture which is a very important part of the hair structure. The hair shaft is much like a tree trunk, all the moisture is in the center and the bark of the tree is what protects the tree from becoming moisture deprived. Once a tree becomes moisture deprived it's no longer flexible and it becomes dry, brittle and easily breaks. This is exactly what happens to our hair.Women that have dull, dry or lifeless hair are usually lacking moisture due to styling, chemical services and product build-up. This is why some people have such a hard time growing their hair out. It's important to look for natural oils that will penetrate and protect the outer layer. I'm not talking olive oil,caster oil or mineral oils again anyone that tells you that this will condition your hair is mistaken. These oils merely coat the outer layer of the hair and give a temporary fix. I'm talking about oils like Marula oil, Macadamia nut oil, Baobab oil, more of the pure exotic oils that have a small molecular structure and are loaded with nourishment and moisturizing properties. Thank you for the question,I enjoy sharing what I know about repairing and maintaining a healthy head of hair.

Ingredients in MoroccanOil:

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Butylphenyl, MethylPropional, Argania Spinoza Kernal Oil (Aragan Oil), Linseed (Linum Usitatissimum) Extract, Fragrance Supplement, D&C Yellow-11, D&C Red-17, Coumarin, Benzyl Benzoate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Hallo SashaT, welcome to EDS!

I concur with the majority of your post. While nutrition and a healthy scalp have their role, this dead matter we call hair most certainly benefits from moisture and other TREATMENTs. Smile

I've compared Sally's less expensive version of Moroccan oil with the much more expensive Moroccan oil and found no difference, really. I can also agree that with argan oil so low on the ingredient list, there probably isn't that much there to actually treat the hair... but the silicones do have a smoothing effect, which in turn produces shine.

The beginning of the year I ordered 100% pure Argan Oil from http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/ and have been using it for the last couple of weeks, setting aside the Moroccan Oil and Sally's version to see how pure argan oil will work.

I place a quarter size amount of jojoba oil and argan oil right after rinsing conditioner and wringing out excess water...Followed up by dime size amount of Lamas Soy Balancing conditioner, then combing through with a wide-toothed comb as a leave in treatment. Put my hair up in a microfiber towel for a few minutes, scrunch and air dry. Hair is left very soft, curls are well defined and it's as shiny as curly hair can be. In short, it's my take that Moroccan oil is overhyped but argan oil is not... Rather than spend so much $$ on Moroccan oil, I'm planning to stick to the real deal for the foreseeable future.

I've never had a problem with 'cones for my hair, but found myself having to shampoo twice on a bi-monthly basis to remove product buildup. So far, have not been missing the lack of 'cones since introducing straight argan oil into my routine Smile Not sure what the long term results will be at this time, will post an update to this thread in a couple of months.

Disclaimer... I have abundant, curly, and dry hair... it's possible the amount of oils I use wouldn't work for those with oily hair/scalp or less tresses.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
loribar
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:13 am      Reply with quote
I have read...wish I could remember source...that coconut oil is the only one that can actually penetrate the hair cuticle. I've tried organic coconut that I bought at GNC as a nutritional supplement on my hair as a pre shampoo treatment and I do think there is a benefit in the moisture /shine factor.

I hate to get too off topic since this is about morrocan oil but in terms of adding moisture to dry, damaged, chemical treated hair(I have all the above) I've been using Coppola Keratin Complex Infusion Therapy. It is extremely expensive but worth every penny IMHO.

I just got my morrocan oil about a week ago and have only used it twice, so will reserve judgement!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
Disclaimer... I have abundant, curly, and dry hair... it's possible the amount of oils I use wouldn't work for those with oily hair/scalp or less tresses.

That's my problem - I have baby fine hair, cut in an urchin cut, so there's not much of it. If I put straight Argan Oil on, my hair just turns into an oil slick. I have a hard time finding something that is moisurising but doesn't leave my hair greasy and limp.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for clarifying. I was wondering the other day if Morracan oil would benefit my hair in the long term.
Hasnaa
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
I use the real argan oil on my hair. I'm moroccan so I get it pure from morocco (the one you can also eat. tastes good buy the way)
It penetrates the hair quickly and makes it feel soft and shiny. I'm not crazy abouth the odor it has but I think it's just me since I can't stand any oil odor on my hair
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:01 am      Reply with quote
I have only read the last page here and I think I may have posted a rave on Moroccan oil several months ago. As time have passed, I can't rave about this brand no more, but I would still suggest it to anyone who ask.

For a few years, I was using a mixture of oils that included macadamia oil and the brand is from France, ordered from an American retailer. It was very expensive and after I realized that the Moroccan oil was the "the best hair restorer" I went back to this France brand and started to search for just pure macadamia oil. It was difficult to find one more reasonable price at any health food store and it was not one they normally sold at the store and had to do a "special" order. A friend told me of http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca/ and I was very impressed with their prices and quickly placed my order. Now, I use it almost on daily basis and I find it does a better job then the Morrocan oil, but only time will tell. I never had any expectations that any oil would cure any split ends.
murray28
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:43 am      Reply with quote
I have fallen completely, madly, head-over-heels in love with Moroccan Oil. Unfortunately, I my pocketbook hasn't. I know some women are better at product usage and management than I am, because I really dump this stuff on and a bottle only lasts me two months or so. I also have to wash my hair everyday (not because of MO, just because my hair is ... unruly and angry), so that really bites the big one on multiple levels.

I'm so excited to hear that the Sally's version is comparable. I can't wait to run out and get a bottle!

This product has Changed My Hair AND, frankly, my life in a way too (time needed to do hair before discovering MO: 45 minutes. MINIMUM. Time after MO: 10-15. Sometimes even NONE. I can schmear this stuff on my hair and head out the door shortly afterwards and NOT look like a homeless baglady. SUCCESS!)
indira
5% products discount

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
I wish I could return the bottle of Moroccan Oil I bought as I have found it to be absolutely useless. I should have looked at the ingredient list before I purchased it as it is full of silicons which are not healthy for the hair. Also, I am not sure why this is called Moroccan oil as it states on the bottle that it is made in Israel and Argan oil does not appear to be the main ingredient.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
update: Occurs to me that in my earlier comparison between Moroccan Oil with Sally's Argan Oil, I neglected to mention that I don't blow out my hair, nor do I iron it so if there is a difference in styling between these products, I can't comment on that other than both of them leave my hair shiny and smooth.

In the last couple months, I've used straight - organic argan oil as outlined in a prior post. Hair is soft and shiny but I do miss those silicones -- I plan to repurchase the less $$ version of Argan oil from Sally's Beauty supply and mix with pure argan oil to benefit from both.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:21 am      Reply with quote
I was looking at lotioncrafters yesterday and I noticed they sell argan oil. It was like $9 for 1 oz. Next time I order I think I will order some for my hair.
clustersof3
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Regis salons have a product in their Designline called Fiji Therapy Styling Oil. It contains argan and tamanu oils. Smells nice, works great and a very small amount goes a long way.
Winter_Solstice_X
5% products discount

Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using a product by Issahra, called the Perfect Oil. It is 100% purified Argan Oil. I do not use it everyday but there is definitely something very soothing and restorative about this product. I have used it to smooth my hair on frizzy days and as a face moisturizer. I apply it to my hair and face perhaps once a week.
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't read all of the pages, but incidently, had only stumbled upon this post AFTER I placed an order on EDS for Russell Organic's Argan Oil (I should've checked on the forums first...but whatever.. Sad ).

A few weeks ago Cityline did a small segment on the brand Moroccan Oil and it seems touted it like as a miracle product...so of course, I had to try it.

After some research, Argan oil is Moroccan oil...its extracted from a trees in Morocco. Same benefits, of course. I'm anxious to receive my order just to try it out. Smile
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Looking at the ingredients list, MO is like the biggest scam for the price. You'ld be better off mixing your own mix like the OCM to treat your hair. Silicone does make the hair really smooth but then it builds up and it's hard to remove.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
sakura wrote:
Looking at the ingredients list, MO is like the biggest scam for the price. You'ld be better off mixing your own mix like the OCM to treat your hair. Silicone does make the hair really smooth but then it builds up and it's hard to remove.

I mix my own oils for OCM and I also apply Argan Oil to my face. However, I find applying it to my hair makes it very greasy. The thing about MO is that it nourishes the hair but it doesn't leave it greasy at all.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
Its funny but even though the ingredients contain silicones, I still love the feeling of my hair after applying a couple of drops of Moroccan Oil
dilemmas
5% products discount

Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:38 am      Reply with quote
I love this product..
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2010 7:36 am      Reply with quote
For those of you who use straight argan oil, do you use it before shampooing or after?
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2010 8:23 am      Reply with quote
oranges wrote:
For those of you who use straight argan oil, do you use it before shampooing or after?

I just apply it to the ends of my hair after I shampoo.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 14, 2010 8:10 am      Reply with quote
I have thin hair so I have to be careful with the products I apply because anything just flattens it, esp. if I put things on my ends that weigh my hair down Sad

I am currently using Kerastase Oleo-Curl mist (I sometimes use the Oleo-curl cream)

Has any of the MO users used Kerastase Oleo-curl and if you have, how do you compare both products?

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
ballerinna
5% products discount

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
I love Moroccan Oil! My hair is very oily, however, I use Moroccan Oil on the ends and it prevents the splitting and makes them soft.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:13 am      Reply with quote
loribar wrote:
I have read...wish I could remember source...that coconut oil is the only one that can actually penetrate the hair cuticle. I've tried organic coconut that I bought at GNC as a nutritional supplement on my hair as a pre shampoo treatment and I do think there is a benefit in the moisture /shine factor.

I hate to get too off topic since this is about morrocan oil but in terms of adding moisture to dry, damaged, chemical treated hair(I have all the above) I've been using Coppola Keratin Complex Infusion Therapy. It is extremely expensive but worth every penny IMHO.

I just got my morrocan oil about a week ago and have only used it twice, so will reserve judgement!

I'm supposed to be getting a sample of Morocan oil- so will see if it really does anything vs regular silicone serums.

I actually had a chemist tell me that oils for the hair are better if they are fractiaonated as that removes the wax part and the oil can be absorbed more easily.

I used to buy fractionated jojoba and also coconut oils and found they made my hair very soft.

The oils also stayed liquid at room temperature.
Too bad the chemists store closed Sad
I keep on meaning to find another place to get these items.

If you are looking for a cheap oil for hair and body Yves rocher also has the Monoi line that is coconut and gardenia and smells really nice and is affordable too.

My hair type is always dry and curly and right now down my back,
my hair is naturally dry most likely due to some health issues,
but because i use hair creams and decent shampoo my hair is in good condition and shiny.

I almost never blow dry my hair, just because I am lazy about that,I just usually leave my hair curly (also have not colored my hair in 2+ years),but that might change as i want highlights soon.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |