Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
My Obagi experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Qwackertoo
5% products discount

Sun May 29, 2011 5:51 am      Reply with quote
dianew wrote:
@ angel: that's probably what's happening... I'm still in the 'purging' phase... while I'm too pale to have been a sun worshipper in my youth, I've only recently (last few years) used spf properly so no doubt have a lot of damage to reverse... plus use of a sunbed in my 20s (which just made me oddly stripy... Bad Grin )

I am also very fair and pale and never been a real sun worshiper like so many others but have had a few burns over my lifetime and one year I did the tanning beds and that was it.

But I have been using mineral makeup since maybe 2003 or thereabout so hopefully that has helped a lot. I know in '08 when we spent a week in Washington DC and went to an afternoon Nationals baseball game, I must have missed a tiny little spot on my forehead right at the hairline and oh boy then next a.m. when in the shower washing my hair I was like OUCH what did I do to my head, just touching/washing hurt, it was so RED from being burnt but the rest of my face was fine with the SPF from the makeup.
Qwackertoo
5% products discount

Sun May 29, 2011 5:55 am      Reply with quote
angelofthenorth wrote:

Something I've not really noticed anyone discussing is the paragraph at the bottom of the page in the handbook, that explains the different cycles your skin will go through whilst on the programme.

It says, "The amount of time required for each phase depends on the condition of your skin and the specific protocol your physician recommends."

It then says, "You will experience every phase, each of which can last from 1 to 3 skin cycles (average cycle = 40 days)".

angel, where did you get the handbook? I don't remember one being in my "starter" kit.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2011 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Qwackertoo wrote:
angelofthenorth wrote:

Something I've not really noticed anyone discussing is the paragraph at the bottom of the page in the handbook, that explains the different cycles your skin will go through whilst on the programme.

It says, "The amount of time required for each phase depends on the condition of your skin and the specific protocol your physician recommends."

It then says, "You will experience every phase, each of which can last from 1 to 3 skin cycles (average cycle = 40 days)".

angel, where did you get the handbook? I don't remember one being in my "starter" kit.

Quackertoo:
The handbook came with my starter kit, along with a travel bag. Not all of the starter kits I have seen come with the travel bag but, I'm surprised to hear that anyone would sell a product like obagi without the handbook, even if there are instructions and ingredients on the back of the box. I checked the obagi website and they only have pages 5-6, under 'how to use', you can download these pages. Some of the information on pages 3-4 (to which I was referring) can be found under the results heading, however, the section I quoted is not there! Maybe someone else knows where to find it on their site/somewhere else on line?

I haven't used the QH mint julep mask before, I've just read a lot of reviews about it and it seems like something that would work well for me. Unfortunately this product seems to be in short supply in the UK these days but there is a UK ebay seller that seems to have a huge supply again £2.50 more expensive than the RRP, at least the delivery is free and it is still obtainable.

kims:
I would hate to have to take a day off my obagi regimen if I used the QH mask. I've never been so disciplined and dedicated to any product like this in my life and I fear I could fall into bad habits or go back to the horrid tightness, wrinkles and stinging if I did miss a day.

This is why I thought I could maybe use the mask earlier in the day/evening and hopefully be okay to continue the blender/tretinoin cream before bed.

I will have to take your advice and listen to my skin after using the mask, if my face feels too sensitive, I'll be forced to miss an application Sad
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2011 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
I was considering getting some of the 0.1% tretinoin cream in case my skin got used to the 0.05% or I felt I needed to increase the doseage or get a bit more aggressive with the programme but, I noticed that it's hard to find in a cream, there seems to be lots of it available in the gel, I couldn't find any in a cream form.

Where are you ladies on the 0.1% cream getting yours from and what brands are you using?

Has anyone used the brand in a white tube that just says tretinoin cream in red on the label (I've seen the one that is 0.05%)? How does it compare to the Johnsons generic brand? I know it's slightly cheaper but I'm wondering whether it's thicker than the J & J?

Also is there anyone who has had success using the gel with the obagi blender? I have read a few posts where people have said that it is difficult to mix the gel with the blender.
Qwackertoo
5% products discount

Tue May 31, 2011 5:16 am      Reply with quote
angelofthenorth wrote:

Quackertoo:
The handbook came with my starter kit, along with a travel bag. Not all of the starter kits I have seen come with the travel bag but, I'm surprised to hear that anyone would sell a product like obagi without the handbook, even if there are instructions and ingredients on the back of the box.

angel, Went and looked in my box and there was a little 11 page brochure included. Not a lot of details but it was there. I also got a travel bag, I haven't taken it out of the plastic bag it is in.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2011 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Qwackertoo wrote:
angelofthenorth wrote:

Quackertoo:
The handbook came with my starter kit, along with a travel bag. Not all of the starter kits I have seen come with the travel bag but, I'm surprised to hear that anyone would sell a product like obagi without the handbook, even if there are instructions and ingredients on the back of the box.

angel, Went and looked in my box and there was a little 11 page brochure included. Not a lot of details but it was there. I also got a travel bag, I haven't taken it out of the plastic bag it is in.

Quackertoo: That's great news.

Today I'm on the 2nd day of wk 5. My chin is red, looks like shrivelled up cling film and is extremely blotchy. I'm purging in a few places, not big whiteheads but smaller spots. I have red blotches on both cheeks , a little one on my nose and between my eyebrows. I also have a little flaking below my right eye on my cheek bone. Funnily enough with all that drama going on, I can still see that my skin looks better Laughing

I've read that retin a's effect is reduced or slowed down in both natural and artificial lights. I spend many hours before bed but after my PM routine in artificial light. The last couple of nights, I have reapplied a pea sized amount of the tretinoin cream on my face just before I get into bed. I feel as if it is helping to accelerate the process, I've noticed that I had more flakes in the morning, which is a good thing right?

Another reason I wanted to increase the amount of retin a I am using is because I think I could do with the 0.1%, I don't intend to use it through the whole programme, only for a month or so and then switch back to the 0.05% I'm finding it extremely difficult to find in the cream form but there's loads of availability in the gel. I almost ordered on that was 0.01% but then realised that's even weaker than the 0.05%.

Does anyone know where I can get the 0.1% in a cream that ships to the UK and doesn't cost hundreds of $$$?
TN*girl
5% products discount

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Angel I'm on week 5 too. My skin was peely and tight feeling today. I've been using the.1% and it's pretty strong but hopefully that just means it's working. I've had to skip the forte for a couple of days that seems to really make my skin mad.
I I don't know all the particulars because I've never ordered from them but alldaychemist .com has the tret at an affordable price.
Hope that helps!
Good luck.
TN*girl
5% products discount

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
I think I read this on this thread but I've read so much I'm not sure. Does anyone know if using the NuDerm causes you to have more of those tiny little red veins on your face? I feel like since I've started I've gotten more or the ones I had have gotten worse. Sad Certainly not the desired outcome I was expecting. And does anyone know the best way to treat those? Thanks!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
TN*girl wrote:
I think I read this on this thread but I've read so much I'm not sure. Does anyone know if using the NuDerm causes you to have more of those tiny little red veins on your face? I feel like since I've started I've gotten more or the ones I had have gotten worse. Sad Certainly not the desired outcome I was expecting. And does anyone know the best way to treat those? Thanks!

Do you think it's broken capillaries? I know Rileygirl has dealt with broken caps, but I'm not sure how. I think they can be kind of tough!

You might consider using a lesser strength of retin a.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
TN*girl wrote:
Hi Angel I'm on week 5 too. My skin was peely and tight feeling today. I've been using the.1% and it's pretty strong but hopefully that just means it's working. I've had to skip the forte for a couple of days that seems to really make my skin mad.
I I don't know all the particulars because I've never ordered from them but alldaychemist .com has the tret at an affordable price.
Hope that helps!
Good luck.

TN*girl, I've checked out ADC and they only have the 0.05% cream available Sad I'm going to order some of of that strength from them, but I'd really like to get hold of some 0.1% too. I tried an online Canadian site but they don't deliver to the UK and I'm looking at £60-70 for the obagi tretinoin otherwise but Thank you for trying to help me.

My chin is peeling like mad today but as I said yesterday, overall there is a huge improvement. I went to visit some friends today and one of them I haven't seen for months, noticed the difference in the condition of the skin on my face. The other that I saw when I was on week 2 cannot believe the improvement and started to google obagi Smile

My face feels a little delicate at the moment so I haven't been using the clenziderm cleanser, I'm sticking to the nu derm one. I wanted to try OCM but I think it may be better if I just wait for maintenance to incorporate anything new.

I am interested to know if anyone's used OCM whilst on the obagi programme though.
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
Angelofthenorth, Don't increase the strength to 1%, I did a similiar thing, thinking a higher strength would be better, I found 1% forte! which is the strongest. Increasing the strength doesn't make it more effective!! .05 is more than enough..I learn't the hard way. OMG did I look dreadful!! research has shown that .05 is more effective for wrinkle, sun damage pigmentation etc, leave the 1% gels and creams to serve acne conditions. I learn't the hard way and the wrong way!
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:50 am      Reply with quote
fongflyer5 wrote:
Angelofthenorth, Don't increase the strength to 1%, I did a similiar thing, thinking a higher strength would be better, I found 1% forte! which is the strongest. Increasing the strength doesn't make it more effective!! .05 is more than enough..I learn't the hard way. OMG did I look dreadful!! research has shown that .05 is more effective for wrinkle, sun damage pigmentation etc, leave the 1% gels and creams to serve acne conditions. I learn't the hard way and the wrong way!

Thank you fongflyer. I'm must admit that although I wanted to try the 0.1%, the last couple of days, I'm wondering if I really need to as I've been peeling/flaking/shedding/purging. I will say though, I didn't start obagi for sun damage (although there may be a little), I started it for acne, acne scarring and pigmentation caused by the acne. My acne was mild-moderate but was getting more difficult to control and the scarring was getting ridiculous, I also had the big issue of my blackheads and open pores.

Obagi has really helped so far and I feel that the spots I've been getting are from purging and not just random breakouts. The nurse I saw said obagi would pretty much fix it all, but after reading these threads, I don't hold my breath on sorting out the pores and pigmentation but I've been looking forward to improved skin and a significant reduction with my scars. I've already gotten to significant reduction, I'm now hoping and working towards them being totally removed.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:41 am      Reply with quote
fongflyer5 wrote:

I totally agree!!

**Angel: I would wait until maintenance before starting OCM.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone used MD Forte Eye Rejuvenation while on Ogabi? I'm thinking the retin a under the eyes is too harsh for me, so maybe a retinol would do...

Or should it, again, wait til maintenance? (Though at this rate that's months away...)

kims - am loving the NIA suncream now my skin's acclimatised - thanks for the recommend SmileI've bought the Obagi spf50 from eBay too... am becoming a suncream junkie Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
dianew wrote:
Has anyone used MD Forte Eye Rejuvenation while on Ogabi? I'm thinking the retin a under the eyes is too harsh for me, so maybe a retinol would do...

Or should it, again, wait til maintenance? (Though at this rate that's months away...)

kims - am loving the NIA suncream now my skin's acclimatised - thanks for the recommend SmileI've bought the Obagi spf50 from eBay too... am becoming a suncream junkie Cool

Hi Diane,
You can use any eye cream you like. Glad you like the NIA 24. I think you'll like the new Nuderm one too!

I keep checking out NIA products and think I'd really like to incorporate some. I'm thinking of purchasing the Skin Strengthening Complex and working it into maintenance.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all, I too am on week six so at a similar stage. I have not had any peeling though and wondering if I am using enough products? My products are blender and tretinoin 0.05% mixed and then also Professional C serum 15%. I am on holiday this week and have been out walking my dog today. I had factor 50 phasilab on and estee lauder double wear, but my face feels really hot and my decollete area even hotter, although I applied additional spf to here. I will look into the NIA 24, but just wondered if this spf is 24 and not 50? Sorry for all the questions hope you don't mind just know you ladies are the experts.

I was also going to ask if taking a holiday do you stop the regime altogether?

On another note entirely I started for skin texture as I have open and blocked pores and some chicken pox scarring and some scarring from a veinwave treatment that went wrong. I did try the CPs some years ago but this seems to have added to my problem in that I have some bubbling on the skin Confused

I have seen a couple of people but it is difficult to trust each as it seems to be geared to selling their services and not always sure that it is the best thing. I have had recommended Co2 laser and also microdermabrasion. Working with a family is difficult to fit in the down time though and I would rather try something less severe so may try the dermaroller, and wondered if anyone has tried this on the nuderm?

TNgirl I also have noticed more broken capillaries which is off putting particularly the decollete area, and think I may stop treating this area with the tretinoin and blender, was hoping to solve those creases you mentioned Kims as I too sleep on my side, us girls go through some things all to look better

Smile

Sorry for the long post.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
TN*girl wrote:

Do you think it's broken capillaries? I know Rileygirl has dealt with broken caps, but I'm not sure how. I think they can be kind of tough!

You might consider using a lesser strength of retin a.

I did develop broken caps from Obagi. That is the only downside to me. I know what you can get IPL for them, but I have heard that they have a tendency to come back if you are prone to them. I was using the Skinbiology GHK before Retin A and that was doing a great job letting me use the Retin A without developing more broken caps. I also just started a new product from Estee Lauder (the Idealist Even Skin Tone product). It has only been 1 1/2 weeks but I am liking it so far. It helps with the redness immediately. It is an illusion (it has a pearlescent look) at the moment, but it is supposed to be a "fix" for red marks on the face. I'll do a review once I have used it for 3 months. Honestly, as far as I know (and I have tried a ton of things) nothing topical will ever get rid of the broken caps, but there are things that can diminish their redness. Sorry if this was too off topic!
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
kims: I'm definately taking you and fongflyers advice, I won't be messing with OCM until maintenance!

diane: I've just ordered the obagi spf50 too and think I'm turning into a ss junkie right with you, I got the NIA24 last week but I haven't started using it yet though Laughing

monalisasmiler:
NIA24 has an spf of 30, I don't feel experienced enough to advise you on your regime whilst on holiday so I'll leave that to the senior obagians Smile.

Here is a thread for dermarolling and obagi:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6384116&highlight=dermarolling+obagi#6384116
dianew
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
monalisasmiler wrote:
I have not had any peeling though and wondering if I am using enough products? My products are blender and tretinoin 0.05% mixed and then also Professional C serum 15%.

I use the Clear twice a day (tho maybe you don't need this if you're not dealing with hyperpigmentation) & Exfoderm Forte every morning(which might help you peel)

I think a lot of people cut back while on holiday - I guess it depends if it's somewhere sunny or not Cool As for getting hotter as the day goes on, I had that too - was convinced I was somehow sunburning despite being inside all day - from what others on here have told me, it's pretty normal to heat up as the day goes on

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
& thanks Kims - I wasn't sure if retinol eye cream might be overkill in case of any migration of retin a (though went and bought it anyway, as you do...)

I'm sure I never used to spend this much on skin care... Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Angelofhenorth, Obagi will definitely help with pigmentation problems from acne, but not the pores. That's a physical aspect of your generic makeup that nothing can correct or change. It did for me & continues to do so after PIH from a hormonal breakout. I agree using the clear twice daily plus the exfoderm forte, inaddition to the blender/retin A is the key.

Monalisasmile: the same thing happened to me initially, I wasn't using enough of the product & thought I was one of the lucky ones who didn't peel etc! That's until I started using the correct amount & reality hit!
Qwackertoo
5% products discount

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:33 am      Reply with quote
Two weeks for me today. I'm on the M-W-F for the the Exfoderm and Blender+Tret and so far so good. Had a few really flaky days last weekend that caused a few comments from daughter, like "what is wrong with your face?" Lovely. Also using the two neck/decollete products and had quite strong red area right at center of neck and she asked me "are you trying to hang yourself?". NO.

Started a few days ago using my Clarisonic twice per day and that seems to really help with the flakiness. Seems forehead is last to get flaky. Lots on chin and cheeks, not so much on forehead. Maybe the skin there is a little thicker/tougher.

Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend.
monalisasmiler
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:20 am      Reply with quote
Thanks angelofthenorth, fongflyers and dianew. I don't think it was just the hot feeling though, as I had this in the beginning, it looks red and some of those brown age like spots on decollete area, I think I may cut back on the obagi and up the sunscreen, I will look into the NIA24 and obagi 50 thanks kims, has anyone used the heliocare range?
Qwackertoo
5% products discount

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:23 am      Reply with quote
I ordered some of the Obagi 50 from online and hope it blends in better than the 32 or 35 or whatever it is that came in the kit. I was happy to see when it arrived that it had a 2014 expiration date. I was worried about that when ordering online. I hope to order my supplies from now on online as it is so expensive from the doctor even with a 20% discount but then in TN they hit you with 9.5% sales tax which almost kills any discount.
monalisasmiler
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Qwackertoo have you ordered this from EDS, I am in the UK and have yet to source where best to order from, need to order some more retina 0.05% too.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |