Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
My Obagi experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
isa09
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
Yes Vanessa
My nails are discolored...
they look horrible
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
My nails are really discolored as well. I'm pretty sure it's caused by the products that have hydroquinine in them. AS of late, I've been very conscientious about washing my hands in between product applications and have noticed the soap turns yellow on my hands after using Clear. When I go for a manicure, she buffs them really well which seems to help with the yellowing.

Vanessa, I think I started around the same time you did. I'm kind of behind by about 2 weeks due to vacation and being out of town.

This last stint out of town, I didn't use hardly any of the Obagi products and my face really started to break out. My skin didn't look very good either. So, I am back on the plan full force today!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ladies. I'm glad I'm not the only one with the discolored nails. I have been very careful to wash my hands now. I have another question. I was using Trent-ion usp and it has an expiration date of 7/09. So I got a new prescription and it is just Trent-ion (with no USP). They are both 0.05%. I used it last night and today my face is really red. Does anyone know the difference in the on with USP and not? The cream looks exactly the same. They are made by different companies. Also do you think that my expiring one is good till the end of July? Thanks!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
Vanessa, what is USP? Also, I'm sure you can finish off your tretinoin! Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
VanessaB wrote:
Hi ladies. I'm glad I'm not the only one with the discolored nails. I have been very careful to wash my hands now. I have another question. I was using Trent-ion usp and it has an expiration date of 7/09. So I got a new prescription and it is just Trent-ion (with no USP). They are both 0.05%. I used it last night and today my face is really red. Does anyone know the difference in the on with USP and not? The cream looks exactly the same. They are made by different companies. Also do you think that my expiring one is good till the end of July? Thanks!

I got horribly yellow nails from Nu Derm. Nothing fixed mine, either, so you are lucky that buffing helps yours.

I think your RA can be used for several months past the due date, at least I have read that people do that with no issues.

I found this on the USP.
http://www.usp.org/aboutUSP/
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
Rileygirl,
I remember a post of yours regarding your nails. How long did it take them before they ret
urned to normal. Thanks!

Also, thanks for the link in regards to USP. I was unfamiliar with that -- now I know! Knowledge is Power!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Rileygirl,
I remember a post of yours regarding your nails. How long did it take them before they ret
urned to normal. Thanks!

Also, thanks for the link in regards to USP. I was unfamiliar with that -- now I know! Knowledge is Power!!

kims, for the 1 nail that I had that turned dark brown, it took about 2-3 months after I stopped all the products for that one to return to normal. The yellow persisted for a lot longer, but only the nails on my left hand turned yellow. Not the ones on my right hand!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Rileygirl,
How strange is that?? All of my nails have "tarnished" but the yellowing/darkening is more prominent on my right hand. I'm assuming it's because I'm right-handed and mainly use those fingers to apply the products.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Rileygirl,
How strange is that?? All of my nails have "tarnished" but the yellowing/darkening is more prominent on my right hand. I'm assuming it's because I'm right-handed and mainly use those fingers to apply the products.

I think you are on to something, kims! I mixed the products together with my left hand, and mainly applied with the left!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I guess the "yellow nail" problem needs to be known by those of us using Obagi (or those thinking about it). Looking back on the Nuderm protocol, I don't see it mentioned that one should wash their hands after product application. The underside of my nails are the worst so I've tried to become more diligent. It's always something new!!

Does anyone else think it's the HQ?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Kims & rileygirl, I think it is the blender & clear. On my bottle inside the cap and on the rim it is yellowish orange. The ring fingernail on my right hand is yellowish brown and the index fingernail on my left hand is the same. I am right handed and mix on my left hand. Does anyone have hair color issues being that you are putting it up to your hair line? How about your pillow case?
VanessaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
Rileygirl, Thanks for the link on the USP. I wondered what it meant! Knowledge is power! Very Happy
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
VanessaB wrote:
Kims & rileygirl, I think it is the blender & clear. On my bottle inside the cap and on the rim it is yellowish orange. The ring fingernail on my right hand is yellowish brown and the index fingernail on my left hand is the same. I am right handed and mix on my left hand. Does anyone have hair color issues being that you are putting it up to your hair line? How about your pillow case?

Yes, it is the hydroquinone in the blender and clear that is causing the yellow nails. Watch for the yellowish/brown nail, vanessaB and make sure it doesn't turn all the way brown. That is what happened to me. That (at least for me) meant it was time to stop the HQ for a while. I researched online and found just a few cases of people having the brown nail from HQ use. And, when you stop the HQ, it slowly fades away. But, when my nail was brown, my liver enzymes were all elevated, as well. Not anything to be overly concerned about, just something to keep in mind. There are not many people who have that happen, but I wanted you to be aware.

I never had any hair color issues and I made sure to put it up to my hairline. Also, no issues on my pillowcase, but I applied the products several hours before bed.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
I have no hair color issues either nor any discoloration on my pillow. Just the nails! I'll keep watching (and washing) to make sure they don't turn brown. I do think that having manicures periodically helps with the yellowing!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info rileygirl. I might cut back to every other day on the HQ. What is the maintenance protocol for the Obagi? I haven't had any hair or pillowcase issues either. I was just wondering if it did it to our nails what else was happening. Rileygirl, did you do all 18 weeks before you went on maintenance? I am on week 12/13 now.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
VanessaB wrote:
Thanks for the info rileygirl. I might cut back to every other day on the HQ. What is the maintenance protocol for the Obagi? I haven't had any hair or pillowcase issues either. I was just wondering if it did it to our nails what else was happening. Rileygirl, did you do all 18 weeks before you went on maintenance? I am on week 12/13 now.

Hi, Vanessa. Yes, I did the entire 18 weeks before maintenance. Maintenance is usually Clear 2-3 mornings a week, Exfoderm 2-3 mornings per week, and Blender/Retin A anywhere from 2-5 times per week. This is very individual and you most likely will have to play around a little to see what is the least you can get away with. Your goal is to use the least amount of products to maintain your results. Some people will need the Blender/RA 5 nights a week, and others are lucky and can get by with just 2-3 times a week. (And some are extremely lucky and can stop Clear and Exfoderm and only use the Blender/RA combo to maintain results!). So, again, you will just play around to see what you can "get away with" and not have your pigmentation start coming back. A lot of times when you hit that 12 week mark, there are still more improvements to come, so I definitely think it is important to stay with the entire 18 weeks!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Rileygirl,
I know you've said in previous posts that the Obagi Nuderm kind of kicked in at the 12 week mark (with pigmentation issues) and I was wondering if you saw the most dramatic results between the 12 and 18 week mark? Thanks!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Rileygirl,
I know you've said in previous posts that the Obagi Nuderm kind of kicked in at the 12 week mark (with pigmentation issues) and I was wondering if you saw the most dramatic results between the 12 and 18 week mark? Thanks!!

Yes, the 12-18 weeks were when I saw my most dramatic results. And, even if a person has had good results by the 12 week mark, I will still bet they will have more improvement if they continue for the last 6 weeks!
VanessaB
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Rileygirl, Thanks for the info. I needed the encouragement!! Right now after changing to new retin A, my mouth is very red & peelie and sore! I was almost tempted to give up! Maybe I will just go back to my original retin A. Kims, I guess we will hang in there together! Very Happy I can't wait to see what the next six weeks will bring. Riley girl what did you see happen the last 6 weeks that was different?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
VanessaB wrote:
Rileygirl, Thanks for the info. I needed the encouragement!! Right now after changing to new retin A, my mouth is very red & peelie and sore! I was almost tempted to give up! Maybe I will just go back to my original retin A. Kims, I guess we will hang in there together! Very Happy I can't wait to see what the next six weeks will bring. Riley girl what did you see happen the last 6 weeks that was different?

Vanessa, the last 6 weeks is when I got rid of all the pigmentation I had. Hang in there. I really believe the last 6 weeks is important - even if you don't have anything else "visible" taking place. If your skin is good right now (at the 12 weeks) you may not "see" anything else, but the products are still working deep down. Good luck to you and kims on the last part of your journey!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Rileygirl!! I know Vanessa and I both appreciate the words of wisdom and encouragement!
I'm heading into the final stretch as well; and I'm even contemplating doing 24 weeks -- must be a glutton for punishment!! Really, though, that's only six months and that's kind of a short period of time to give a skincare routine a chance to work. Albeit, Obagi isn't exactly a normal routine!

I'm still hoping for some changes in the upcoming weeks. Plus, I'm looking at some other products to maybe incorporate into the maintenance routine.

**Anyone ever use copper peptides with Obagi or is this a complete NO NO?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
Also, Vanessa, I almost forgot. My mouth and chin got really red and sore at one point too and I used Emu oil on those areas and it really helped a lot! Also, I avoided using the Exfoderm and Retin A there for a few days too.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Good morning ladies! Or should I say good red & peelie morning! Very Happy I don't think I was this red during this whole process. Last night I only did the retina a & blender on my forehead. But it is my cheeks, mouth area & jaw line that looks like a cherry. Rileygirl is this common for being so far along in the process?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:22 am      Reply with quote
VanessaB wrote:
Good morning ladies! Or should I say good red & peelie morning! Very Happy I don't think I was this red during this whole process. Last night I only did the retina a & blender on my forehead. But it is my cheeks, mouth area & jaw line that looks like a cherry. Rileygirl is this common for being so far along in the process?

It can be, Vanessa. It is most likely from the Exfoderm. Back off on the exfoderm now to only 1-2 days a week and see if the redness goes away. I am willing to bet it is the Exfoderm making you red - it can be very irritating.
isa09
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:17 am      Reply with quote
VanessaB wrote:

Vanessa,
I too experienced occasional bouts of REDNESS which for me was related to the Retin A. My skin finally stopped having the redness flare-ups , very close to 18 weeks.
I suppose that my skin needed the 3 cycles to fully acclimate to RA.
I am now on maintenance (after 24 weeks of NuDerm) and no longer have redness issues.
Hang in there. it's work it
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |