Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
What is the best product for toenail fungus?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
Any idea?
helios
5% products discount

Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:56 am      Reply with quote
Tea Tree Oil applied twice a day. Remember to file down the nail every now and then, so the oil doesn't just sit on the thickened nail.

I know it sounds crazy, but sandpaper is the cheapest option to do that, since you have to throw the nail file away after every use anyway. Just don't file too hard, or the nail will get too thin and start hurting.

Oh, and don't let the dropper of the TTO bottle touch the nail plate, or the fungus will contaminate the bottle and it might spread later to the new, healthy growth of the nail. That's the same reason you shouldn't use the same file (or a piece of sandpaper) while buffing your nails.

It takes time, but eventually the fungus should clear up.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:41 am      Reply with quote
apple cider vinegar is supposed to help with the toenail fungus. I have also read that Vicks vaporub helps when applied on the toenails nightly. It takes months to get rid of the fungus, so whatever you choose you would have to do nightly for at least 3 months.
health2u
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:00 am      Reply with quote
I'm prone to nail infections, and my dermatologist made me soak my nails in white vinegar/water solution (2 parts vinegar to 1 part water) twice a day.

Keep your nails DRY, and short. No nail polish until the infection clears. (I hated that part) It does take time, but it really does work.

Works on hands, and feet.
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:24 am      Reply with quote
I know this sounds crazy but Aborbine Jr liquid also works.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:32 am      Reply with quote
I'll chime in that all the suggestions work IF COMBINED.
Soak warm water with white vinigar twice a day. Sand down thickened nail every now and then-don't wear nail through.
Tea Tree oil has been proven as effective as prescription anti fungials-twice a day or MORE.
Absorbine jr? Do they still make it? It was originaly formulated back in the 1800's to treat horses....
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
We always had a bottle of Absorbine Jr growing up in my house! Remember in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", the answer to every problem was "spray it with some Windex"? Well, in my house it was "put a little Absorbine Jr on it"! Mosquito bites, athlete's foot, toe fungus...

And yes, they still make it, and it can be found in most drugstores in the U.S. I actually like the smell, but am embarrassed about other people smelling it...so I prefer to go the tea tree route or plain old over-the-counter fungal cream, like Lamisil. Either of these treatments twice a day worked when I was treating my mom's feet.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone for such a great advice. I'm ready to try everything. The combination sounds really good to me. I thought it was a bruise, but now I changed my mind since the black color never went away. The strange thing is it doesn't itch. I did not realize toenail fungus can be brown/black color. The one I saw before was whitish/yellowish.

Does anyone know how to prevent it from occurring again once I got rid of this one?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
I know this sounds crazy but Aborbine Jr liquid also works.

I must admit I have no idea what this product is. I will have to look for it when I go to a drugstore next time. Which section will it be located at? First aid? Pain reliever?
pinky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
I vote for Oil of Oregano. I got toenail fungus after a salon pedicure. A course of medication got rid of it initially (nasty potential side-effects), but I now use OoO at the first hint of any trouble. It helps to keep the nail short enough so the oil can get to where it can do its work. Maybe it's just me but I find that once I've had fungus in a particular nail, it doesn't take much to have it come back in the same place.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
pinky1 wrote:
I vote for Oil of Oregano. I got toenail fungus after a salon pedicure. A course of medication got rid of it initially (nasty potential side-effects), but I now use OoO at the first hint of any trouble. It helps to keep the nail short enough so the oil can get to where it can do its work. Maybe it's just me but I find that once I've had fungus in a particular nail, it doesn't take much to have it come back in the same place.

Ditto...I just read a whole book on Oil Of Oregano last night. It is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and an antiseptic. What more could a girl want? Very Happy

You do need to use a certain type...it has to be wild oregano, preferably the P73 type. Even Perricone touted it in one of his books. Shock I can look up the recommended treatment plan and send you some product links if you want....I am using it for Candida.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:58 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I can look up the recommended treatment plan and send you some product links if you want....I am using it for Candida.

Bethany, I would love to see the treatment plan and links. That would be great if you could post that here!
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Believe it or not, but try

VICKS VAPOR RUB

This stuff really works. My sister's doctor had her use it and it got rid of the fungus.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:36 am      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:

VICKS VAPOR RUB

This stuff really works. My sister's doctor had her use it and it got rid of the fungus.

Really? Just rub it on the black spot on top of the toenail?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:37 am      Reply with quote
pinky1 wrote:

Thanks. I think I heard of this oil from reading someone's post here somewhere before.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:38 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
pinky1 wrote:

Ditto...I just read a whole book on Oil Of Oregano last night. It is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and an antiseptic. What more could a girl want? Very Happy

You do need to use a certain type...it has to be wild oregano, preferably the P73 type. Even Perricone touted it in one of his books. Shock I can look up the recommended treatment plan and send you some product links if you want....I am using it for Candida.

Me, too. Would like the treatment plan. TIA!

What exactly is P73?
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:

VICKS VAPOR RUB

Make it occlusive of some sorts. Try to wrap it in some saran wrap and put a sock on it after applying to prevent it from smearing off. It takes at least 6 wks to work, from what I've heard.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Believe it or not, colostrum supplements and cutting the toenails waaaaaaaaay back finally got rid of the fungus I'd had for 20 years.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Believe it or not, colostrum supplements and cutting the toenails waaaaaaaaay back finally got rid of the fungus I'd had for 20 years.

20 years? I didn't know toenail fungus can last that long! I'm glad you got rid of it now.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
foxe wrote:

VICKS VAPOR RUB

Make it occlusive of some sorts. Try to wrap it in some saran wrap and put a sock on it after applying to prevent it from smearing off. It takes at least 6 wks to work, from what I've heard.

6 weeks aren't that long. I heard it usually takes 3 months for the fungus to clear with medication.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:22 am      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
bethany wrote:
pinky1 wrote:

Me, too. Would like the treatment plan. TIA!

What exactly is P73?

P73 is a specific type of wild oregano used to create a branded Oil of Oregano (OoO) that was used in some clinical tests at Georgetown. There are lots of studies at the link below. I tried another brand in the past and saw virtually no benefit, so this time I am using the stuff used in the studies.
http://www.p-73.com/research.asp

BTW, Perricone talked about P73 in his 7 Secrets book, and mentioned that OoO can be helpful for all kinds of flu viruses as well...hopefully this means that I am protected from the Swine Flu outbreak! Shock

The book I read was The Cure Is in the Cupboard: How to Use Oregano for Better Health by Dr. Cass Ingram. I'll paraphrase his comments below.
http://www.amazon.com/Cure-Cupboard-Oregano-Better-Revised/dp/0911119744

- He talked about an epidemic of nail fungus in the US, and said that it was very difficult to cure. However, Oil of Oregano can eradicate it, and will not cause toxicity or liver damage like Rx drugs, nor does fungus become immune to it.

- The primary way it works on nails is through topical application because it can penetrate deeply and destroy the fungus within the root of the nail bed.

- Internal consumption may be necessary if you have other fungal symptoms (like yeast infections, psoriasis, eczema, etc.) or if it keeps reoccurring.

Treatment Protocol:

- Rub OoO liberally into involved nails as often as possible.

- Take 2 or 3 drops under the tongue twice daily AND/OR take a few drops internally in milk, juice, or water.

- Take 3 OregaMax capsules 2x daily. (this is the powdered version of wild oregano, plus it has garlic, onion, and minerals)

- Reduce sugars in your diet

Beth's findings after LOTS of reading on all types of fungus:

- Topical OoO is good for first time nail infections...the only negative is that you smell like Oregano when you apply it. Sadly, I am beginning to get used to it. Embarassed

- If it happens again, you may have a systemic fungal infection and will require internal treatment (as well as continuing the topical approach)

- OoO capsules are the easiest way to take it (no fire in your mouth or oregano taste), but they primarily treat just the intestines/colon. However, this step is critical to ensure a high concentration of OoO there, since the intestines/colon usually have the highest population of the little buggers

- Taking the drops under your tongue facilitates getting the OoO into your blood stream, which is necessary for systemic infections. After holding there as long as possible (which is not very long!) you can then wash it down it for additional treatment benefit.

- OoO must be diluted with olive oil, or it is WAY too strong and will burn the crap out of your skin. The P73 version I am using from North American Herb & Spice Co is already diluted at the proper ratio.

- OoO is not a short-term treatment...it will take some time to work (as in several months or longer) Here is a paragraph from a reseller confirming that:

Quote:
It can take 9 months for your big toenail to completely grow out from nail bed to the end of your big toe. Nail fungus is one of the most challenging forms of fungi to combat. It is recommended that Oreganol P73 be used diluted in a carrier oil topically, and Oregamax be taken orally very very consistently over that 9 month time period.

Since fungus and yeast live on sugars (carbs) in our system, it is also very helpful and will speed recovery to eliminate white sugar, white bread, white rice, pasta, white potatoes, and too many sweet fruits, fruit juices and root vegetables (which are high in sugar and starch content) while on a treatment plan for nail fungus. Carbohydrates and sugars literally feed the fungus, so a diet approach and a topical/oral treatment plan for toenail fungus treatment is necessary for complete success.
http://www.oreganol-p73.com/cure-toenail-fungus.html

Where I buy mine: Iherb.com
http://www.iherb.com/Oreganol-P73

This site also has great prices:
http://www.taoofherbs.com/categories/449/OreganolP73.htm

Editing to add: This link has a great overview of nail fungus, including the recommendation to mix OoO with emu oil for even deeper penetration.
http://www.taoofherbs.com/articles/92/NailFungusYellowNail.htm

5% products discount

Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:45 am      Reply with quote
Hello, I have used DR G Clear Nail which helps to kill fungi, bacteria and viruses. The results is good, thou it will still some time to recover.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:41 am      Reply with quote
Wow, Bethany. Thanks for all that great info and the links. I have a lot of reading to do now! Very Happy
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:34 am      Reply with quote
I can tell you from experience that none of those nail lacquer like products work. I tried several of them, including prescription types and they did nothing for me. I also tried the tea tree oil, oil or oregano, and vinegar treatments without any luck. After 5 years I gave up and got a prescription for oral Lamasil pills and the fungus was completely gone within 8 months. Just be sure if you do use it to get your blood tests done as it can be pretty harsh on your system. I was lucky not to have any side effects.

I think the effectiveness of treatments depends on the degree of infection and the area of infection. Mine was the entire nail and the nail was growing in like that from under the skin. Perhaps if it's just a corner or 'side' of the nail treatment will be more effective.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:35 am      Reply with quote
lianne wrote:
I can tell you from experience that none of those nail lacquer like products work. I tried several of them, including prescription types and they did nothing for me. I also tried the tea tree oil, oil or oregano, and vinegar treatments without any luck. After 5 years I gave up and got a prescription for oral Lamasil pills and the fungus was completely gone within 8 months. Just be sure if you do use it to get your blood tests done as it can be pretty harsh on your system. I was lucky not to have any side effects.

I think the effectiveness of treatments depends on the degree of infection and the area of infection. Mine was the entire nail and the nail was growing in like that from under the skin. Perhaps if it's just a corner or 'side' of the nail treatment will be more effective.

I think it really comes down to if the fungus has permeated your whole body or not...if it has, you have to attack it orally.

OoO internally will help if taken consistently for a long time. However, for the fastest fungal death in a systemic case, sometimes you do have to go the Rx route.

I am on Diflucan 200mg daily for the next 3 months. My doctor says that anything shorter or weaker encourages "fungal colonization." But anything longer than that requires that your liver enzymes be monitored regularly.

However, I am also doing the OoO and will continue to do so...probably forever, since I have had candida for 20+ years due to low-level antibiotic use for acne.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |