Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hemp Oil saved my skin! *Long*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 22, 2009 11:51 am      Reply with quote
This is a review for Nutiva Organic cold pressed Hemp Oil.

As the title states-Hemp Oil has saved my skin! A bit of back story on my skin condition, I have very oily, very fair skin that breaks out easily with large pores. Although I do get some small blemishes and the dreaded TOTM cysts my main problem is the ever populating blackhead colonies that live ALL over my face, most dense on my T-zone. These are the main issue b/c I tend to obssesively pick at them...daily I must admit. Believe me I know how terrible this is, I can see the damage it has done, mainly on my cheeks and chin...perma-redness and sometimes I'm unable to fully extract them and they turn into a full blown blemish that, surprise-surprise I pick at too, that leaves me a lovely post acne scar that takes months to fade. Its a ugly chain of events. On my decolletage I had a very bad sunburn when I was about 23, despite wearing SS and covering it with a scarf anytime I was out in the sun it was constantly red and blotchy...and had its own colony of blackheads and blemishes. Quite defeating to my self-esteem.

I have tried everything under the sun to clear my skin, from ProActiv to KH, every scrub and acne treatment. While some did work for a while on one issue, nothing addressed all my problems for any real length of time, most made them worse with long term use. The best I have found is Ayurvedic skin care but I still needed to address my sticky sebum issue.

I was actually looking for a Omega dietary supplement to try and help heal my various eczema patches and other dry/itchy skin issues when I stumbled upon Hemp oil by accident. I was researching how sebum flow effects blocked pores and what I could use to keep them clear and flowing (other than scrubs and acids) when I decided to take a break and skim through some EDS threads, I have been loosely following the 302 thread b/c I think the idea of a non-acid approach is very interesting when I came across a post by Boski that gave me an idea. She posted this quote from Skintactix " When linoleic acid is not available in the skin, the sebaceous glands produce sebum with oleic acid and this form of sebum is irritating to the skin. It promotes blockage that causes blackheads, whiteheads and acne. Some scientists have suggested that sebum produced with oleic acid is drier, firmer and therefore it promotes blockage within the follicles, such as blackheads and whiteheads. " You can read the post in its entirety here. http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28855&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=2875 Her quote is in red.

So I thought that if I could find and oil with the correct balance of EFA's and incorporate it into my diet and use it topically that, although I would still be oily, possibly I could cause my sebum to be less sticky and irritating thus resulting in less acne and blackheads. Cue Hemp oil music. From what I have read Hemp oil contains a perfect ratio of EFA's, has anti-aging and anti-inflammatory properties and has superior healing benefits and is very high in the super food chlorophyll. It also supposedly had sun block effects while allowing absorption of Vit D, still doing research on this. I do not claim to be a scientist so I will post some links at the bottom of my review to provide more accurate clear info. *I am also taking this internally, its too soon to comment on that as I need at least 8-12 weeks to see improvement but I will update when I reach that mark with any comments/signs of improvement. If you decide to take it internally be sure to take the appropriate dosage for you body weight as this oil can really get things moving if you know what I mean, while not a negative effect I think that at too high a dosage the effect might become unpleasant.

I have tried nearly every oil from Emu to Jojoba to sweet almond to EV coconut, while they might have helped a bit they never fully sank in and left my already oily skin even oilier(although I do like jojoba for my hair and coconut for massage). Living in the humid South these were not a good option for my face. The first time I applied Hemp oil to my face it looked just the same as when I used any other oil...shiny. Then about 3 mins later I went to go put my makeup on and when I looked in the mirror, to my great surprise, my face was totally hydrated and matte. WTH?!? I had not applied anything else. I brushed it off as a fluke and proceeded with my MU (which applied like a friggin dream btw!). However, all night at work people kept commenting on how nice I looked and when I got home and looked in the mirror I still looked fab. I chalked it up to a "good skin day" and washed my face, did my shameful nightly blackhead removal, applied more hemp oil and went to bed. When I woke up in the morning I reached up to rub my face and was again surprised to find that my face felt hydrated (not its usual greasy mess) and soft. When I went to go look in the mirror I was again shocked at how great my skin looked. I don't think my skin has ever been properly moisturized since I hit puberty and it went haywire, and honestly, I had even forgotten what fully hydrated normal skin looked like on my face. Any creepyness was gone and I some how looked airbrushed and best of all my reoccurring blackheads had not "filled" back up. Now I'm thinking I'm on to something. I have stripped my routine down to let the hemp oil really work, currently I'm using a super mild cleanser or OCM to remove MU at night, then toning with Thayers rose petal witch hazel followed by Hemp oil. In the AM I'm using raw honey as a wash, tone then Hemp oil. Once a week I use a mild scrub, maybe a fruit acid mask and usually a clay based cleansing mask. Results are awe inspiring.

Now let me be clear, I'm not saying that this miraculously overnight freed me of any and all skin issue but it has from the first application fully moisturized with out being greasy and majorly soothed any active flair ups (in fact they seem to be "drying up" and disappearing with no acne spot medication) and any blackheads that I extracted have not formed in the same pore. The skin around my eyes looks particularly fabulous, plump, smooth and firm. And for a smoker like myself that's pretty awesome! (I know, I know, no lectures please!) The redness on my chest is subsiding and really is nearly gone. Any area I apply the oil becomes velvety soft and glows like crazy, I feel like I finally understand what people mean when they say something makes them glowy. Even my EX H kept commenting on how great my skin looked, and that man does not freely pass out compliments to anyone but himself, so I know its not just me.

So this post is getting long and out of hand and I don't want to bore you lovely ladies so I will close with a wrap up and links to more info on hemp oil.

Benefits for me:
-Reduction in blocked pores/blackheads.
-Active acne soothed and seems to be fading away.
-Almost immediate redness/inflammation reduction (thinking this would be great for rosacea suffers).
-Moist, plump, glowy, hydrated skin.
-No oily residue after applying, it sinks in like a dream.
-Its affordable.
-Beautiful airbrushed finish under makeup or alone.

Cons:
-Is a green oil, due to the chlorophyll I assume, so if you don't wait for it to fully soak in it will lightly stain lighter colored clothes.
-Has a grassy scent(no pun intended!), light and non-offensive but it there.
-Needs to be refrigerated, not sure how I would travel with it.

Links to more info:
Benefits of hemp
http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/plandahemp.htm

Writer does a good job of explaining EFA's, etc.
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip091.htm

Another good overview
http://www.regenerativenutrition.com/content.asp?id=64

These are just a few links that I saved for the good info, if any one has any other links that they find helpful please feel free to post on this thread!

Thanks for reading ladies and good luck on your skin journey!

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
cejl
5% products discount

Fri May 22, 2009 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Wow.. this is really interesting. I have been experimenting with various oils for OCM and moisturizer. I should really give this a try..

How long have you been using the hemp oil? Be sure to update!

Another (more palatable) form of hemp to eat is the roasted nuts.. they are pretty delicious, though a bit expensive.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 23, 2009 9:32 am      Reply with quote
cejl wrote:
Wow.. this is really interesting. I have been experimenting with various oils for OCM and moisturizer. I should really give this a try..

How long have you been using the hemp oil? Be sure to update!

Another (more palatable) form of hemp to eat is the roasted nuts.. they are pretty delicious, though a bit expensive.

I ending my second week using it, I know its an early review but the proof is in the puddin'. If I was going to breakout from it I would have within the first few days of use. The results seem to be getting better and better with regular use.

One of the best things it does to my skin (besides the ultra quick healing and almost instant redness relief) is the feeling of being wrapped in velvet. It feels very rich and luxurious with out being heavy or greasy. I have been noticing a very distinct brightening effect too(much like using a Vit C product but sans irritation). My skin looks so radiant, this could just be perhaps b/c I haven't been properly hydrated in FOREVER but the color of my skin is fantastic now, it seems to have brought back the natural color in my cheeks. As you can tell in head over heels in love!

I will definitely update regularly but as of now its just smooth sailing and bitchin skin! lol!

Thanks for the rec on the hemp nuts, the oil doesn't make me gag or anything, I actually kinda like the taste, but I will have to check them out.

Have a great day!

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
fab50
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 24, 2009 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
where and what brand did you buy?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 24, 2009 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
would this be similar to what you purchased?

http://www.gardenofwisdom.shoppingcartsplus.com/catalog/item/3987807/3778652.htm

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 24, 2009 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
oops...just realized the first thing you put in your original post was the brand...sorry, my bad!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 24, 2009 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
No problem! Please post your results if you decide to try it!

I got mine from Whole Foods although Im sure any health food store carries it.

funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 25, 2009 6:36 am      Reply with quote
I will like to try this. Hemp is cannabis right?

Is there a difference with hemp seed oil and hemp oil?
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 25, 2009 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
I was thinking about this and I remembered that Organic extra virgin olive oil does the same thing for me too.

I'm just weary cause you can't keep Hemp oil for long? It says to finish within 2 months
Metaphora
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 25, 2009 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Vonstella, this was a fabulous review and has definitely piqued my interest - I currently love emu oil because it absorbs so well and has a "dry" finish, but I've always hoped to find a plant oil with those properties ... the only drawback I see is the refrigeration issue but nothing is ever perfect!

Iherb has the Nutiva organic hemp oil (24 oz) for a very good price and says to use within 12 weeks of opening but that freezing extends shelf life. I wonder if one could freeze half of it and how much longer it'd remain "good."

Of course, hemp oil can be taken internally for health benefits, and used externally as a body moisturizer as well as on the face - so it may not be so difficult to use up within that time period.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 25, 2009 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Metaphora wrote:
Vonstella, this was a fabulous review and has definitely piqued my interest - I currently love emu oil because it absorbs so well and has a "dry" finish, but I've always hoped to find a plant oil with those properties ... the only drawback I see is the refrigeration issue but nothing is ever perfect!

This is me. exactly. BTW Vonstella I meant to ask you...do you just apply it to a damp face or do you mix with HA?

5% products discount

Tue May 26, 2009 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
please let me know if you break out from this! I want to try, but I'll let other people be the guinea pigs from now on, haha!

I haven't found too many mentions of people using straight hemp oil on their faces.. only in hippie patchouli soap, so if this works.. you could really be on to something!! I am looking for something a bit better than jojoba oil, which may or may not break me out.. not sure yet.

5% products discount

Wed May 27, 2009 2:56 am      Reply with quote
This really sounds exciting! I did some research and hemp oil seems to help people with eczema too. Maybe it could even be helpful with my KP. I will definitely try it.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 8:41 am      Reply with quote
funkydory- Yes Hemp oil is made from Cannabis, unfortunately it will not get you high. Wink
" Q: Is Industrial Hemp marijuana?
A: No. Even though they both come from Cannabis sativa L., the varieties that are used to make Industrial Hemp products (seed, fiber, etc.) and those that are used to make marijuana (flowering tops and leaves) are distinctly different. They are scientifically different and are cultivated in very different ways."
http://www.industrialhemp.net/

I believe that hemp oil and hemp seed oil are the same thing but I'm still doing research to double check, will post when I know for sure.

Metaphora- I initially had the same concerns about shelf life but not only do I use it on my face and body but I take it internally so I'm not worried about it going bad. I just bought the smaller bottle to see how fast I went through it before springing for the bigger size.

fab50- I apply it strait to a damp face, either right after washing while may face is still wet or after toning with my Thayers rose petal witch hazel. I feel like this helps to "trap" the moisture.

cejl- I will keep you updated if this breaks me out but I usually know with in 48 hours if something will break me out. I can tell you this, I have never had an oil clear up my existing breakouts and totally zap my blackheads. I love Jojoba oil for my hair and scalp but on my face it didn't work so well.

Minimunny- That's one of the reasons I started using it, I have bad eczema, topically it works well to soften the patches and help with healing but I think the real test will be taking it internally, so I will update in 12 weeks on that to let you know!

I also wanted to add, I love what this is doing for my pores! Maybe its because they are not clogged with hard oil but they are getting smaller by the week! Im THRILLED!

funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 9:57 am      Reply with quote
^^ For that reason that it is related to Cannabis, it is banned in Singapore. =(
fab50
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered some late Monday night and it was shipped yesterday...can't wait for it to arrive...will update!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
would you post before and after pic?

Sounds wonderful, and just goes to support my long standing that we don't really need much other than what nature has to offer.

I am about to embark on OCM journey and moisturizing with hemp just makes sense.

Do you do it evening only, or morning instead of day cream?
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
If I had taken a before pic I would. Also I don't have a decent camera, just the one on my laptop and the pixel quality isn't that great for an up close skin shot. Sorry!

I use it in the AM and PM.

I wanted to add that I'm also using this all around my eye, upper and lower lids, working beautifully!

zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Can you please comment how exactly you use it - especially of interest is the morning routine.

I don't have much time in the morning, so need a product that won't leave any grease/oil and my skin won't shine like crazy.
cejl
5% products discount

Wed May 27, 2009 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
I'm thinking I might add a few drops of this to a hylauronic serum that I am thinking of buying.. (from Garden of Wisdom)..

even if it doesn't work on my face, it's great for hair and the rest of my bod.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 27, 2009 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Digressing back to the 60's, in my state of mind, I don't think I ever thought of wanting to put hemp oil on my skin. Wink

5% products discount

Thu May 28, 2009 2:17 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:

Minimunny- That's one of the reasons I started using it, I have bad eczema, topically it works well to soften the patches and help with healing but I think the real test will be taking it internally, so I will update in 12 weeks on that to let you know!

Thanks vonstella, that'd be great! I tried evening primrose oil in a high dosage for a while to help my KP but didn't see any results and had to stop using it because I got pregnant and such high dosages aren't safe during pregnancy. Also, evening primrose oil has a lot of omega6 instead of omega3, and one's intake of omega6 compared to omega 3 is already to high normally. Therefore, hemp oil sounds just perfect, one can stop taking fish oil capsules too!
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 28, 2009 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Minimunny- Exactly! Very Happy

fab50
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 29, 2009 7:51 am      Reply with quote
got mine yesterday...boy, that was quick!...will update after i've been using it for awhile.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 29, 2009 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Can't wait to hear about it! I'm so afraid it's would clog my pores, though. Confused

Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |