Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do YOU think this will work?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Okay, so I purchased a handheld eBay LED device a few years back. One that emits red/blue/green light. The device has given me results (glowing complexion, brighter skin, etc), so I have NO doubt that LEDs improve skins condition. But one thing that I had a problem with was the amount of time it takes to do my whole face with this little device that I have. I was on eBay yesterday, and was looking for a bigger unit, something that had panels instead of a small circle. I wanted something that I could sit in front of, and have my whole face treated at once. So I looked at the DPL LED system, but the price was over 400 dollars, and that I CANNOT afford right now. So I had an idea. I searched LED grow lights. I've heard of people using LEDs to improve the growth of their plants. Well I found a unit that is 12" x 12", with 225 red LEDs (630-650nm). To me, it seems that it's JUST as effective as my hand held device, or any other LED device emitting visible red light spectrum. One thing I wanted was a device that also emitted infrared light, but I was willing to sacrifice that. I'm only in my 20's, so I believe that red light will take care of my problems (dull skin, broken caps on bridge of nose, etc). I don't have many wrinkles, YET. Anyways, I don't believe I am allowed to post eBay links (search "LED grow light" on eBay if you want to look), but I was just wondering if you guys think this panel will be effective? I am just so excited because now I can sit in front of it, and have my whole face treated in about 10-15 minutes, instead of having to move the applicator to different spots on my face. The unit only cost 32 dollars, and it comes Friday. I also purchased online tanning bed goggles for my eyes, even though I heard that if you close your eyes, it'll be okay. Anyways, when I get the unit, and give it a try, I'll let you guys know how it went, I was just wondering if anyone else has gone down this route. It's the same technology as the more expensive LED units, but because it's advertised to grow plants and not for cosmetic use, it's CHEAPER! Sorry for the long write up, but just wanted to share! Maybe those who are looking for a more inexpensive unit can go this route! Good day everyone!
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:02 am      Reply with quote
111 views and no input? Very Happy
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:32 am      Reply with quote
Okay EC413 I checked out your grow light and it is for plants!! Shock
Good Lord Sister please read the specs when you get it and compare it to your current device and make sure they are the same. I am certainly no expert on people or plants but intense light for making plants grown might not be a good thing for your face.
My other concern is the colour - is it all red? I believe the infrared is important to the good results of the LED lights.

If all of the above are not problematic I think you might be on to something here. I have an AALS and like you would prefer the panels to dramatically cut down the time but explaining that purchase to the DH would be difficult, Laughing

Please let us know when you get it how it compares to your current device and BE CAREFUL!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:45 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for replying Alley. Yes, I know they are for growing plants, but I am 100 percent sure it is the same LED wavelength, technology, etc. that we use on our faces. LED light (as we all know, and have researched) is beneficial for our bodies; skin, muscle pain, bruising, etc.. but it's also beneficial for plants! That's why I purchased this, because it's advertised differently, so people are probably weary of buying it because it says it's to improve plant growth. But it is definitely the same concept as the LEDs that are placed in a "anti-aging" light. Plus, like you said, it's a flat panel, so I can do my whole face in a fraction of the time. I know everyone raves about all the expensive ($400-1000) machines, but honestly, what's the difference? I know it depends on the power that the LEDs give out, but the description on the item that I purchased seems pretty legit. I cannot wait til Friday. I'm going to snatch the box out of the UPS guy quicker than ever, and run screaming into my house to use it (LOL), I'll let you guys know how it goes. Oh, and another thing, you mentioned the Infrared Light being more beneficial. I actually have a 12 LED Infrared Flashlight (cost me $14) that runs on batteries that I have for my face, so I can just do that after I am done with this panel! Everyone's probably skeptical, but I am ALL about getting a better deal. It may not be the prettiest or most professional LED device, but I am confident it'll produce excellent results. Wish me luck!
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:55 am      Reply with quote
I hear ya on not wanting to pay the ridiculous prices of the cosmeceutical industry which is why I started doing DIY. Laughing
Maybe just to be on the safe side use the light on your hands or arm before you use it on your face.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
I'm interested to see how it goes too! Sounds like a heckuvadeal! My husband used to work in the lighting industry and was always telling me that LED's should be inexpensive (sans the white ones). Maybe "anti-aging" marketing is much more costly than promoting plant growth?

Also, the plant growing LED should be comparable to the ones used on people treated for SAD.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
Kims, exactly! LEDs are fairly inexpensive. That's why I am under the impression that a lot of times, with more really pricey models, it's a lot of hype. I'm not saying that you should go and buy a cheap, crappy made LED device on eBay, because the quality probably won't be similar, but how can the LEDs be so different from one setup to another? I'd LOVE to buy a LightStim device, I hear so much about them, but to me, $330? No thank you. I wanted to come on here, and post about these "plant grow lights", because it's LITERALLY the same thing; A panel of 225 red LED's (630-650nm light). It's definitely a cheaper alternative. Will this panel work as FAST as a more expensive model? Maybe not. But that doesn't concern me. If I can spend $32 on eBay, and it has positive effects of my skin, then to me, it's worth it. Now, one thing I would understand is stating that a battery powered device (such as my Infrared Flashlight that I mentioned earlier) would be underpowered. That definitely makes sense that it would be underpowered compared to a plug in setup (plus the hassle of batteries).. but in this case, it seems like pretty much the same thing. I don't know. I guess I can't rave about it, until I start using it. I will definitely let you guys know!

All I know is, LEDs are the messiah of skincare!!

Oh, and I don't think that the plant growing LED is the same as SAD therapy. I thought the lights for SAD therapy were white?
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hey what's that ebay link?

I noticed some websites sell LEDs for relatively cheap but Im unsure of their efficacy.
But wow you bought an ebay LED and it works. My lightstim hasnt even given me that kinda results.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
faerie, Here is the link. -- http://cgi.ebay.com/225-LED-Hydroponic-Plant-Grow-Light-Panel-14w-all-Red_W0QQitemZ220500563969QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3356db9801

I purchased mine from that exact seller. They ship quickly, just in case you were interested in buying one, I'd recommend them.

And yes, the "no name" eBay device that I have actually has shown results for me, not jaw-dropping, but definitely noticed a change. But most of the reason why I don't think it worked to it's full potential, is because I hate moving the wand around my face so much and spending so much time on each individual area. Which = me being lazy about using it, and not being consistent. That's why I am happy that the unit that I just bought is a flat panel (12" x 12"). Much easier, and CHEAP. Just hope it works, but I'm fairly confident it will. Smile
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, and another thing that I thought was interesting. It says on that eBay link that the red LEDs help plants grow because it helps out the chlorophyll, carotene and the nutrient absorption, etc. That sounds very close to what it does for our skin...correct? I think these are a good buy! Can't wait till Friday.
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
EC413 wrote:
Thank you for replying Alley. Yes, I know they are for growing plants, but I am 100 percent sure it is the same LED wavelength, technology, etc. that we use on our faces. LED light (as we all know, and have researched) is beneficial for our bodies; skin, muscle pain, bruising, etc.. but it's also beneficial for plants! That's why I purchased this, because it's advertised differently, so people are probably weary of buying it because it says it's to improve plant growth. But it is definitely the same concept as the LEDs that are placed in a "anti-aging" light. Plus, like you said, it's a flat panel, so I can do my whole face in a fraction of the time. I know everyone raves about all the expensive ($400-1000) machines, but honestly, what's the difference? I know it depends on the power that the LEDs give out, but the description on the item that I purchased seems pretty legit. I cannot wait til Friday. I'm going to snatch the box out of the UPS guy quicker than ever, and run screaming into my house to use it (LOL), I'll let you guys know how it goes. Oh, and another thing, you mentioned the Infrared Light being more beneficial. I actually have a 12 LED Infrared Flashlight (cost me $14) that runs on batteries that I have for my face, so I can just do that after I am done with this panel! Everyone's probably skeptical, but I am ALL about getting a better deal. It may not be the prettiest or most professional LED device, but I am confident it'll produce excellent results. Wish me luck!

Haha! I wonder how powerful the device you bought is, like you said, this is really what matters. What wavelength is this device operating at? I didn't catch that. I hope that you've stumbled upon something that works!
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
The wavelength is 630mm. That's really cheap for such a huge panel. But what's the output?

Okay I realised it's cheap because you have to bid for it! There are so many people bidding on it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:57 am      Reply with quote
I've also wondered why the cosmetic LEDs are so expensive. You might be on to something here! Is it possible to get some more specs on it?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:18 am      Reply with quote
EC413 you need to rethink this !!!!!!! I hope you don't think I am raining on your parade but I would hate to have something bad happen to you.
I told my DH about this and being bored he looked up your light and compared it to my AALS. Here are some troubling difference he found. We are certainly no experts but that difference in power could be harmful to your skin. I hope you will to do some additional research but at a minimum do not put this thing directly on your face - stand back.

These are the specs from the ebay link;
1 - 14w Xen-lux LED panel
120v 5' power cord

Specifications:
Number of panels: 1
LEDs per panel: 225
Total LEDs: 225
Color: Red
Power per panel: 14wPanel size: 12.25" x 12.25"
Panel height: 1.5"
Frame: Composite
Red wavelength: 630 nm
Rec. coverage: 4 sq. ft.
Max. coverage: 65 sq. ft.
Use: Indoor growing
Shipping weight: 4 lbs.

The at home LED devices (all of them) run on 12 volt power... the one you ordered is going to be 120 volt.

Also, the at home LED device wattage is never more that 8... this is 14.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:53 am      Reply with quote
I also questioned myself before purchasing AALS why cosmetic LED devices were so expensive & if I should buy cheaper ones like LEDMAN, Spatabulous or the ones from heelspurs.com.

I bought AALS at last becuase I saw a lot of rave reviews of this light; while hardly did I see any positive feedbacks of other devices.

That said, no positive comment doesn't mean that the device is no good.

My comment is that pick one that is within your budget and have a leap of faith of it!
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:21 am      Reply with quote
actually I think LEDs are pretty cheap especially if you buy your own and make it. I wish I knew!

http://members.misty.com/don/ledfaq.html#buy

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/ledleft.htm

This guy website shows places where you can buy LED pieces and he rates the LED. he actually tests the wavelength and some actually have different wavelengths than what they claim. Shock

I learnt something new. The blue wavelength used for acne is actually violet and it should look violet and not blue. Because different wavelengths have different colours.

Credit to ledmuseum

MID-INFRARED
4600nm
4300nm
3800nm
3600nm
3300nm
3100nm
2900nm
2700nm
2300nm
2200nm
2100nm
2000nm
1900nm
1800nm
1700nm
1600nm

LOWER-INFRARED
1300nm; Vf=1.0 volts
1020nm
980nm
960nm
950nm
940nm; Vf=1.5 volts
920nm; Vf=1.5 volts
905nm
880nm
870nm
850nm nearly invisible, a very dull red glow can sometimes be observed when viewed directly; Vf=1.5 volts
840nm nearly invisible, a very dull red glow can sometimes be observed when viewed directly; Vf=1.5 volts
810nm nearly invisible, a very dull red glow can sometimes be observed when viewed directly; Vf=1.6 volts

NEAR-INFRARED
780nm very dim cherry red when viewed directly; Vf=1.7 volts
770nm dull, deep cherry red when viewed directly; Vf=1.7 volts
740nm deep cherry red; Vf=1.7 volts

RED
700nm deep red; Vf=1.8 volts
660nm pure red; Vf=1.9 volts
645nm pure bright red; Vf=2.0 volts
630nm 'HeNe laser' orangish-red; Vf=2.0 volts
620nm distinctly orange-red; Vf=2.1 volts

ORANGE
615nm reddish orange; Vf=2.2 volts
610nm pure orange; Vf=2.2 volts
605nm amber; Vf=2.3 volts

YELLOW
590nm sodium yellow; Vf=2.3 volts
585nm yellow; Vf=2.3 volts
575nm pure lemon yellow, bordering on becoming greenish; Vf=2.4 volts

YELLOW-GREEN
570mm very yellowish green; Vf=2.4 volts
565nm yellow-green; Vf=2.4 volts
555nm yellowish lime green; Vf=2.4 volts
550nm emerald green; Vf=2.4 volts
540nm (none seen, no descriptor available); Vf=3.6 volts

GREEN
530nm pure, non-whitish emerald green; Vf=3.6 volts
525nm pure, slightly whitish green; Vf=3.6 volts
515nm (none seen, no descriptor available); Vf=3.6 volts

BLUE-GREEN
505nm greenish blue / turquoise; Vf=3.6 volts
500nm greenish cyan; Vf=3.6 volts
495nm turquoisish, slightly whitish sky blue; Vf=3.6 volts

BLUE
475nm Bright, slightly greenish-tinted azure blue; Vf=3.6 volts
470nm Bright blue; Vf=3.6 volts
460nm Bright, less greenish blue; Vf=3.6 volts
450nm Pure blue; Vf=3.6 volts

BLUE-VIOLET
444nm Deep blue / violet-blue; Vf=3.6 volts
430nm Whitish violetish blue; Vf=3.8 volts
420nm Deep violetish-blue; Vf=3.8 volts

PURPLE (Phosphor-based)
Color appears to be a bluish-purple; Vf=3.6 volts

VIOLET
416nm Bluish-violet; Vf=3.8 volts
410nm (none seen, no descriptor available); Vf=3.8 volts
405nm Pure violet; Vf=3.8 volts
400nm Deeper & dimmer violet color than 405; Vf=3.8 volts

NEAR-UV
395nm Deep royal purple with reddish tinge; Vf=3.8 volts

ULTRAVIOLET - UVA
385nm Dimmer royal purple with whitish tinge; Vf=3.8 volts
380nm Whitish purple; Vf=3.8 volts
370nm Nearly invisible, can appear a dull, deep purple when filtered with Wood's glass; Vf=3.8 volts If=10mA
365nm Invisible - LED output appears as a very dim whitish violet
350nm Invisible - LED output appears like the 365nm LED above, but dimmer

PINK (Phosphor-based); Vf=3.6 volts
Color appears bluish-pink, hot "barbie pink", to coral pink

WHITE (Phosphor-based); Vf=3.6 volts
White LEDs come in a wide color range from lemon yellow to purplish white. The most common appear on the target as a light bluish cross-shaped hotspot surrounded by a "overcast sky white" outer corona.
Color temperatures for common types range from the low 4000°s to near 12000°K, with the most commonly found LEDs being in the 6500° to 8000°K range.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
EC413 you need to rethink this !!!!!!! I hope you don't think I am raining on your parade but I would hate to have something bad happen to you.
I told my DH about this and being bored he looked up your light and compared it to my AALS. Here are some troubling difference he found. We are certainly no experts but that difference in power could be harmful to your skin. I hope you will to do some additional research but at a minimum do not put this thing directly on your face - stand back.

These are the specs from the ebay link;
1 - 14w Xen-lux LED panel
120v 5' power cord

Specifications:
Number of panels: 1
LEDs per panel: 225
Total LEDs: 225
Color: Red
Power per panel: 14wPanel size: 12.25" x 12.25"
Panel height: 1.5"
Frame: Composite
Red wavelength: 630 nm
Rec. coverage: 4 sq. ft.
Max. coverage: 65 sq. ft.
Use: Indoor growing
Shipping weight: 4 lbs.

The at home LED devices (all of them) run on 12 volt power... the one you ordered is going to be 120 volt.

Also, the at home LED device wattage is never more that 8... this is 14.

Thanks for researching it Alley. Although I just checked my heldheld eBay device that I bought years ago, and that one runs on a 110V power cord. Also I think it's 14watt because it's a bigger unit (has to power 225 LEDs). I'm not saying that this is okay, but I definitely will be cautious about it, and stand farther back when I am testing it, so I don't do any damage to my skin. BUT, isn't it true that you can't really OVERDO your skin with LEDs? It's not UV light, so it's not like I will be burned by it, or be exposed to harmful rays? I don't know. Maybe I won't have to do the sessions as long because of how much power it has?

Faerie, the particular one I posted is being bid on, but the one I bought was "Buy It Now", search and you'll find one!

I appreciate you guys looking into this for me, and I think I've made you guys question the extensive prices of these home units a bit.

I really hope that this will be okay. Like some of you said, it's a hit or miss type deal. Either it will work, or it won't, but what's important is that it's safe. I think it'll be okay, but I guess I'll try it out. I'll definitely keep you all posted.

Maybe someone else will stumble upon this post, and will be able to tell me if this is okay, we will see.
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:20 am      Reply with quote
Also, just did some researching on eBay looking up different "anti aging" lights to check specs. The DPL 2 panel system -- http://cgi.ebay.com/DPL-LED-Light-Pain-Relief-Anti-Aging-Wrinkles-Skin-Line_W0QQitemZ310129432737QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item48352798a1 creates up to 30 WATTS of power...that particular unit also runs on 120-240V power cord. I THINK it'll be okay. But like I said, maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Guys, This is the one I have. Hate that I paid that much.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Mars wrote:
Hi, Guys, This is the one I have. Hate that I paid that much.

Are you talking about the DPL 2 Panel System with red and infrared? Did it give you any kind of results? And I know, $350 is a huge price to pay! I almost bought that one, them I stumbled upon these "grow lights". I wish it was Friday, still have to wait 2 days, I'm just dying to try this.
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, that's the one. I've just started using mine again (with green tea). I may be overdoing it since I hold the panels against my face for well over 20 minutes. Surprised

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
EC413 - you might want to PM MacCrisis - I'm pretty sure that she knows allot about LEDs. I don't know whether she's been around the Forum for awhile, but maybe she'll respond if you PM her.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
EC413 - you might want to PM MacCrisis - I'm pretty sure that she knows allot about LEDs. I don't know whether she's been around the Forum for awhile, but maybe she'll respond if you PM her.

Thanks for the tip. Finally getting it tomorrow!
LBtime

Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
This is a very informative thread. From what I have read, LEDs are LEDs. The only thing you need to know is the wavelengths.

I have read on various sites that you need the infrared and the visible read to get the best results.

That said, it is probably better to buy the cheaper devices mentioned above. LEDMAN and HEELSPURS only have the visible red, and Spatabulous had both.

I only see the visible red on ebay. That panel is interesting thought. Please tell us if it is too bulky to be convenient.
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
yup I think so too. I dont think LEDs cost that much. You can actually make your own for so much cheaper. I read the best wavelength for red is 670nm. Blue for acne is 415nm.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |