Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What Products are on your No-No List?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
snooops
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:08 am      Reply with quote
Clinique (cleanser/toner dries out my skin, moisturizer makes my skin oily, clogges the pores)
Estee Lauder (deep thermal refinisher: burned my skin, and gave me scars!!! Sad )
Lancome (made me feel like I had a layer of wax on my face)
Chanel (looots of perfume, clogged my pores, made my skin oily)
Shiseido (clogged my pores)
Creme de La Mer (OVERPRICED, even the oil-free lotion clogged my pores and gave me oily skin!!)

HATE PRODUCTS WITH MINERAL OIL!
Cheeks
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
I'm just starting on trying all the wonderful products out there, however from reading this thread it seems that Clinque is a DEF no no Shock Shock

The only thing that I have tried that I wouldn't use again is the Decleor Neroli Aromessence - it brought me out in red hot patches. Although this is probably due to my skin being quite sensitive...

T x
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Nemi wrote:
*Lancome/L'Oreal (same crap, different wrapping)
Really, Lancome and L’oreal are the same company??? Or are you saying that their crap is all alike???
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Oh yes I noticed when I was checking what ingredients were tested on animals, there are just a handful of companies that own everything. It's not so unbelievable - look at Pepsi and Uni-lever (who make washing powder) also do Walls(Ice Cream).
Globalisation!!!!!.......Now where's my Niomi Klein
cheezwiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:26 am      Reply with quote
My no no's inlcude:

Anything by H2O - pricey utterly useless stuff

L'Oreal Mascara - something in their mascara (all of their mascaras actually) irritates my eyes badly.

2-in one toners/cleansers that you have to shake up before applying.

Cetaphil cleansing lotion - I know its supposed to be gentle, but if I use it on a daily basis, my skin never feels properly cleaned. I wind up with filmy residue on my face.

Longwearing lipsticks (the kind where you paint the colour on & then cover with a glossy top coat). Always dry my lips out horribly and leave and ugly stain.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:20 am      Reply with quote
I haven't posted here because I really haven't tried much because anything with a fragrance added I won't even try on my face. So, I've tried Clinique and Mary Kay because they are unscented and they are so similar in formulation, all crap imo. Too much alcohol and mineral oil in all the products. I do like Clinique lipsticks, truly scent free and nice colours. Mary Kay lipsticks are dry and cakey and taste like chemicals although they are supposed to be unscented, bah!

I had such hope for Aveeno face care. Why, when all their body care in unscented would they add awful, chemical scents to their face products? I was so glad when Wal-Mart took the $20 moisturizer back.

I had been using Proactiv for almost a year and even though it dried me out terribly, it stopped breakouts. I decided though that feeling parched and red after almost a year was not worth the 'benefits'.

I filled out the survey on the Mario Badescu website and was delighted to get samples based on my answers to skin type, etc. I was not impressed with products though the drying mask was so drying and it stung my skin so badly. The Special Cucumber Lotion (toner) smelled chemical and my skin felt greasy by the end of the day.

I have a hard time because I'm prone to breakouts and my skin burns and gets irritated easily. I've recently stopped using my tretinoin because my face was hurting after a month. Not burnt or red but it just feels parched, like a sunburn. I do think this is a good product for a lot of people but maybe not for sensitive skin types.

It's all very subjective, isn't it?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
cheezwiz wrote:
My no no's inlcude:

Longwearing lipsticks (the kind where you paint the colour on & then cover with a glossy top coat). Always dry my lips out horribly and leave and ugly stain.

Me too! Every time I've worn those stain sticks and then tried to get them off I end up looking like I've cleaned my lips with a brillo pad - or like I've been eating Kool-aid powder!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:05 am      Reply with quote
Pudoodles wrote:
cheezwiz wrote:
My no no's inlcude:

Me too! Every time I've worn those stain sticks and then tried to get them off I end up looking like I've cleaned my lips with a brillo pad - or like I've been eating Kool-aid powder!
I think Casper's Mum recommends that you should remove those type of lipstain/gloss products with an oil-based cleanser, or just good ole baby oil or olive oil or something. I haven't tried this myself because I don't wear those all-day lip products (just cuz they feel too drying on my lips), but it makes sense...it's sorta like waterproof mascara or something!
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:31 am      Reply with quote
life without lipfinity just isn't worth living! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:46 am      Reply with quote
I agree:
Clinique 3step - hopeless!
Also Ella Bache - terrible stuff!! the skin calming stuff they gave me (after a proper skin consult and everything) actually made my face go BRIGHT red!!!
I only have 1 Guerlain lipstick. "super glossy/moisturising" type thing, but has been making my lips super dry.
belledivine67
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Prevage: I had such hopes for this product. Unfortunately it created irritation, redness, and acne.

StriVectin: Horrible, heavy product with awful smell. Did absolutely nothing.

Kinerase: Neutral product....nothing bad, nothing good.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:55 am      Reply with quote
creme de la mer....even gave my 60+ years old mom a breakout!!! Greasy, greasy stuff! Yuck!
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Here I am thinking I am treating my skin pretty good using Clinique! Please help me! What should I use instead? My skin is congested and slightly dry.

Must admit I also tried Shiseido. Guess I am a sucker for department store brands.
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
Here I am thinking I am treating my skin pretty good using Clinique! Please help me! What should I use instead? My skin is congested and slightly dry.

Must admit I also tried Shiseido. Guess I am a sucker for department store brands.
mom2tommax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
I agree 110% with the Clinique comments throughout this post. Will NEVER buy EVER again!

Also on my "don't waste your money" list:

- Olay Total Effects (I used it for 2 months and had no effect)

- Biore Pore Strips (stupid to even try them...and then try them a 2nd time)

- Swell Lips (too much work for too little results)

- Aveda Rosemary Shampoo (scent was too strong)

My list could be a mile long, but those are the BIG ones.

Lori
tipu
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Smile
ammwv402
5% products discount

Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried just about everything. On my no-no list is Mary Kay (my face became a blackhead field) Rolling Eyes Avon broke me out horribly. Crying or Very sad Also no-no to Clinique, Lancome, Elizabeth Arden, and some EL products.

I have had better luck with spa lines like Decleor, Clarins, Dr. Hausckha, Skinceuticals and Dermalogica.
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
cbrooke wrote:

I would post a new thread, with your skin type info, asking for suggestions...Also include what kind of improvments, be specific, you would like to see in your skin Very Happy

I think though, that you will probably gets lots of recs for Dr.H (for the congestion), and a vit C serum, just becasue we all love it Very Happy ...
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
Nevermind...just saw your new thread Very Happy
Miss Shoes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
No Clinque for me, it was awful. Most departments stores actually are too perfumy.

Clinique
L'Oreal
Biore
DebL
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:18 am      Reply with quote
Those of you that have bagged Elizabeth Arden:
which products? skin care or foundation, or both Question
was considering trying one of the foundations for winter - I am looking for something with a little more coverage that my BE loose powder (plus it is almost finished, so now is a good time).
KCarter897

Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
DebL wrote:
Those of you that have bagged Elizabeth Arden:
which products? skin care or foundation, or both Question
was considering trying one of the foundations for winter - I am looking for something with a little more coverage that my BE loose powder (plus it is almost finished, so now is a good time).

Well, Elizabeth Arden does have a great Sponge On Cream makeup that has great coverage....but it is only for those with normal dry to dry skin (but those who use ut absolutely love it). The other foundations are ok, except the oil free foundation which is absolutely terrible. I have tried pretty much all cosmetic companies out there.....and I like certain items from many different companies. As far as Elizabeth Arden, the products they have for oily skin are fabulous and award winning (and those are the only ones I have used from them). I do have a sample of thier Good Night Sleep moisturizer and serum, I'm going to try them tonight to see what I think:)
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
My worst list
Hydroderm COLLEGAN is not absorbed marine or otherwise (only good when injected)

OHT peptide only the peptides does not work well and lousy customer service

LaMer products My DD goes to the supposedly oldest private grade school in the country. Although upper middle class we are in the lower 10% of income here, many famous people. These rich women do NOT have better skin than my friends. They look weird from BOTOX and often have red blotchy skin from trying too many products at once. I've seen several bad reactions to the LaMer products. Skin creams and plastic surgery are major topics of discussion with them. In my opinion this shows that there is no magic cure out there. Good genes are the best. Vit C, AHAs, retin A and a very few other things (e.g. green tea) help but don't solve aging.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot Strivectin also
sprocket

Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I am new!
I just bought the new clinique pore smoothing makeup (because I am a sucker for anything that claims to help!) and it is horrible!
actually makes them looks worse and highlights other imperfections like dry patches.
I am sure it is responsible for my latest breakout too.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |