Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Nasolabial Folds--What's Worked and How Long Did It Take?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
LondonLucyGeorge
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:19 am      Reply with quote
LOL I just had to say something on this as its too funny. I saw Eva at the Mind Body Spirit festival a couple of years ago and was really impressed with her presentation and she gave the audience exercises to do in the talk, so I booked a one to one session with her and it got cancelled because she was sick. I had almost forgotten about it until reading Miranda's comment. I never rebooked it though, but am doing facercise which I love!

I've heard a few people say that about tracing the muscle - I think Loulou was the first person I read suggesting it. Eva didn't mention it in the talk she did so its interesting to note. I'm not sure I understand how it connects you to the psychological abilities bit but I suppose it gives us something to do.

This is Miranda wrote:
Dear Jasminerosey,
My thoughts are with your mother and you, I wish her a speedy recovery.

I was taught during one-to-one lessons with the 80-year old facial exerciser Eva Fraser to visualise the muscle being worked.

I will try to explain what she said to me as it's a basic way to start connecting to your psychological abilities.

Seated in front of a mirror, draw a line on your skin with your finger along the muscle that you want to work and visualise that length of muscle. Then do the exercise for the said muscle. Eva swears by this as to why she looks so amazing at her age. She fully believes in mind over body - she said she's never ill as her mind won't allow it!
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:50 am      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:
JLM wrote:
Miranda, your pictures on the Dermarolling for Product Penetration Only thread really look amazing!!! It really does look like your () and NL's have dramatically receded! Do you think that it's the TV, the .2mm dermaroller, one of the topicals (or the combination) that is the cause for the sudden change in the past couple of days? Or perhaps do you think that is the cumulative result of what you've been doing?

And you are just awesome for keeping track of your progress with pictures & sharing them! I feel bad-- I should also become more technically proficient. Pictures are just so much more descriptive & useful (and objective) compared to words.

Jean, something I forgot completely - I hit the green smoothies last week with a vengeance. Could it really be????!

I have to confess, I was really hoping that the green smoothies would have little or no effect because I thought making smoothies was kind of a hassle and I loved eating the way I did-- in my case, that meant lots of sugar! I still do miss my sugar (spoken like a true addict!) but you know, I really do feel better & my skin looks better.

I think that the diet/ appearance connection is just so much more apparent when you're older-- when I was in my 20's, I actually went on what I called a "candy diet"-- and I lost weight!-- with no detrimental effect on my skin. In fact, I had the most perfect skin all throughout my 20's with no effort. Perhaps this is why I've been conditioned to think that diet will have little impact on appearance. Now that I'm closing in on my 40's, I believe that every little thing I put into my body will show up on the outside.

BTW Miranda & Tonia-- I realize that Tanaka hasn't been working for you because of the breakouts-- do you think that there's a sugar/ detox connection? (Always looking for trends & patterns!)

And to update: my NL's have thankfully gone back down after that bloody 1.5mm roll I did 2 nights ago. I do believe that the activating the NL accupressure points has been helpful in smoothing down the area.
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:51 am      Reply with quote
JLM wrote:
I have to confess, I was really hoping that the green smoothies would have little or no effect because I thought making smoothies was kind of a hassle and I loved eating the way I did-- in my case, that meant lots of sugar! I still do miss my sugar (spoken like a true addict!) but you know, I really do feel better & my skin looks better.

BTW Miranda & Tonia-- I realize that Tanaka hasn't been working for you because of the breakouts-- do you think that there's a sugar/ detox connection? (Always looking for trends & patterns!)

Before xmas, I was doing the Tanaka and drinking regular smoothies and had cut back on the sugar but got more spots then than ever so I don't think it's a sugar angle. Maybe the western diet in general (dairy) doesn't work well with lymph massage but then not everyone is having outbreaks. Hmmm hmm

Re green smoothies for lunch, I have to admit, it's not enough for me just to drink spinach, pear, lime, kiwi & apple juice (even if it is 1/2 litre of it) so I usually have a couple of slices of (thickly cut) toast and marmite after so I'm still eating things I enjoy otherwise I'll never keep up with the green regime.
murray28
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:22 am      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:
Maybe the western diet in general (dairy) doesn't work well with lymph massage but then not everyone is having outbreaks. Hmmm hmm

This isn't the first time I've seen mention of dairy as a possible skin culprit ... can you expand on that? I know some lactose-intolerant people that can handle certain cheeses without problem but milk - whooo! Watch out! Shock I wonder if that would translate over to the skin too - maybe depending on the pasteurization process? The French traditionally eat a ton of cheese but are considered outstandingly beautiful ...

Really curious about this as a near-vegetarian (I eat meat about once a week ... but I LIVE on and for a good cheese)!
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi Tonia,

I am not quite sure why you are feeling it in your chin area. Hmmmm......I'm wondering are you making a long Narrow "O" or oval. The way you hold your face makes all the difference. I do not feel it at all in my chin area unless my "O" is too wide. HTH, Aprile
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:21 am      Reply with quote
JLM, I don't think the spots I got from Tanaka are related to sugar because I don't eat sugar very much any more. (sigh) I had to quit because, as much as I love it, it wasn't good for my skin or my waistline.

I still crave sugar but I eat healthy now. I do wonder, however, if the NL's being there in the first place have something to do with my sugary past. Or, you could take it the other way and say that people who are predisposed to NL's are also predisposed to sugar cravings.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:34 am      Reply with quote
April, thank you. I am making a long O but I can only get the long O by using the muscles in my chin and jaw to hold my mouth open. I'll keep working on it and experimenting.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Aprile, is it the "long narrow O" that works?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:00 am      Reply with quote
LondonLucyGeorge wrote:
I saw Eva at the Mind Body Spirit festival a couple of years ago and was really impressed with her presentation and she gave the audience exercises to do in the talk, I've heard a few people say that about tracing the muscle - Eva didn't mention it in the talk she did so its interesting to note
This is Miranda wrote:
I was taught during one-to-one lessons with the 80-year old facial exerciser Eva Fraser to visualise the muscle being worked.

I think it's something Eva would only mention in a one to one situation as she seemed conscious that you would think her nuts when she said visualising muscles would activate them to work better!
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:31 am      Reply with quote
I have read studies that have shown responses in muscles JUST by visualizing them. You will have to trust me on that one as I don't feel like looking them up. This is why elite athletes visualize their muscles working extra hard as they work out or compete.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia & Tonia,

Antonia ~ Yes, the long narrow "O" or oval position creates tension, tracing the lines and using the mind/muscle connection to visualize energy running up and down the nasal labial lines from the mouth corners to the nose, creates a burn. Tonia ~ I believe if you are trying to make a long narrow "O" by using your chin muscles, you are engaging the wrong muscles. I would suggest try raising your cheek muscles while you are making the long narrow "O" with your mouth. At the same time, you should keep your upper lip pressed firmly down against your teeth. That way, you will be using your upper lip pressing down against your teeth to HOLD the long "O" position, instead of your chin. Can you now feel the burn along the nasal labial lines? Let me know if that helps! Take care, Aprile Smile
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
Ah perfect, Aprile, thanks so much for the clarification! Smile I LOVE the idea of visualizing the fold disappearing. I was in the gym today and there was a personal trainer with a guy. I smiled when I heard him say, "Now you'll get twice as much out of this if you visualize those muscles contracting and growing!"

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
I have read studies that have shown responses in muscles JUST by visualizing them. You will have to trust me on that one as I don't feel like looking them up. This is why elite athletes visualize their muscles working extra hard as they work out or compete.

Visualization is suggested for healing also. I'm sure Jasminerosey would help with this discussion.

Also many years back when she was ill, I got my mother a book entitled "Mind, Medicine and Miracles" and it was about the power of the mind to heal.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
That is an excellent book, Sis. I recall reading it many years ago.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
The mind is so powerful that if you can incorporate it into any aspect of your health, you have a fabulous ally.
This is one thing I love about Carole Maggio's program. And Aprile is so helpful with explaining.

Antonia - if you go for the program - I highly recommend the brushes for dry-brushing. (Not trying to overtempt you but give a positive suggestion).

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:53 am      Reply with quote
I found this on the web re visualisation:

Research Proves the Mind Body Muscle Increase! Studies at Manchester University in England showed dramatic results in just one week with participants doing only HYPNOTIC exercises. The group that did the real exercise (for the same amount of time as the hypnosis group), increased the size and strength of the targeted muscle 30%.

The group who did ONLY the hypnosis exercise increased the size and strength 16%.

This is important. Here's why. More than 50% of the muscle increase is obtained from the mental state that supports it. The messages from the subconscious mind are powerful enough to command the muscles to grow by feeding the cells what they need. And this is without moving a muscle.

Cellular Memory (you have heard Depak Chopra talk about how important this is and how easily it is manipulated) is handed down from dying cells to newly forming cells. If nothing changes, the dying cell gives the new cell the same memory. The new cell is formed in the same way as the old one.

http://www.wendi.com/html/body_building.html

So maybe we should just visualise working out our face.
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:28 am      Reply with quote
murray28 wrote:
This is Miranda wrote:
Maybe the western diet in general (dairy) doesn't work well with lymph massage but then not everyone is having outbreaks. Hmmm hmm

This isn't the first time I've seen mention of dairy as a possible skin culprit ... can you expand on that? I know some lactose-intolerant people that can handle certain cheeses without problem but milk - whooo! Watch out! Shock I wonder if that would translate over to the skin too - maybe depending on the pasteurization process? The French traditionally eat a ton of cheese but are considered outstandingly beautiful ...

Really curious about this as a near-vegetarian (I eat meat about once a week ... but I LIVE on and for a good cheese)!

I can say for me after years of fighting acne - it was stopping my milk intake that cleared my skin!!

What I dont get is that (thank God) I can still eat cheese and ice cream etc. Its just milk - Ive even tested this by drinking some for a few days and I broke out again. (I did this twice to make sure.)

I can definitely live without drinking milk. Its really not good for us anyway. I drink soy now (chocolate is so good!!!)

(sorry for going off topic)
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
The mind is so powerful that if you can incorporate it into any aspect of your health, you have a fabulous ally.
This is one thing I love about Carole Maggio's program. And Aprile is so helpful with explaining.)

Sister ~ You are so right about Carole's program and life in general. She incorporates the mind/body connection in every aspect of her life. (We once had a conversation about this when I was a newbie Facerciser.) She also visualizes the changes she wants to make while performing the exercises. Now for instance, if you were to perform any exercise without really thinking about what you wanted to accomplish, I don't really think the results would be quite as good. Now for instance, applying the mind-muscle connection visualizing the cheeks higher and fuller on the face, and see if you don't even feel the burn more...whatever program you are using. More burn = better results. Take care, Aprile
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Did anyone see that side-on picture of Angelina Jolie where she has a deep trench of an NL ? AND parenthesis lines!!!

Her makeup artist must know some good tricks to disguise these for the red carpet.

Anyone any ideas? When I try the highlighter trick it just seems to accentuate them.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:22 am      Reply with quote
Aprile

I'm curious about this statement you make. Tom Haggerty says on his website that the burn is felt initially when the muscles get rid of lactic acid, but that over time the body no longer produces this to the same degree so the burn often is short lived and he doesn't get the burn at all, but I remember Maggio talking on a show saying she felt you had to go for the burn, but I can't find facts to support either argument.

Theresa
aprile wrote:
More burn = better results. Take care, Aprile
aprile
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Theresa,

Not sure why Tom Haggerty (I'm not familiar with him) would say that the burn lessens with time. I still feel it much the same way as I always have. As far as I know, the burn occurs when you exercise the muscle to the point of exhaustion. Even if the exercise is isometric in nature, such as this particular exercise. So I'm not quite sure what he means.

Take care,
Aprile
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
I'm familiar with Tom's website and like it alot.

On the burn subject, I've been training with weights for 19 years. I know that your muscles get used to the exercises and the heaviness of weights and so you feel the burn less over time. Which is why you have to go heavier with the weight or change the way you exercise. I understand facial muscles are on a far smaller scale than gluts or quads but my personal feeling is that Tom would have a point in saying you feel the burn less over time if you're always practising the same exercises.

And just to add, I've been doing facial exercises for 6 years now.
LondonLucyGeorge
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:40 am      Reply with quote
Sure, I can understand that. I went back to his site to look for that thread, but its difficult to find things on there (as they aren't in date order), but I remember someone asked him directly about him and if he still felt the burn and he said he didn't any longer but had done them for so many years now it was unlikely that his muscles had to detox of the lactic acid or something.

Its like back in the 80's with body exercises, we were always told to go for the burn, but after reading a book by Marjo Putkisto, she says that going for the burn is incorrect and goes on to explain it in further detail.
This is Miranda wrote:
I'm familiar with Tom's website and like it alot.

On the burn subject, I've been training with weights for 19 years. I know that your muscles get used to the exercises and the heaviness of weights and so you feel the burn less over time. Which is why you have to go heavier with the weight or change the way you exercise. I understand facial muscles are on a far smaller scale than gluts or quads but my personal feeling is that Tom would have a point in saying you feel the burn less over time if you're always practising the same exercises.

And just to add, I've been doing facial exercises for 6 years now.
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:09 am      Reply with quote
You know, I was thinking about green smoothies & the NLs-- I don't think they're a "magic bullet" to erase NL's. I've been hitting the green smoothies & soups pretty hard in the past week or two, and yet my NL's are reappearing. My feeling is that their effects are either augmenting or amplifying the things that you're already doing, and improving the overall, general condition of your skin, at least on a long-term basis.

Since the Tanaka massage worked so well for my NL's, I really wanted to make it work for me (stopped because of breakouts.) I am cautiously optimistic-- I did the massage last night & followed with a DermaWand treatment. This morning, no new breakouts (which would have been the case before.) We'll see what happens (*fingers crossed*!)
Pasithea

Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone seen Nasolabial folds improve by using Ageless If You Dare? I'm considering buying Lou Lou's book. Thanks!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |