Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Accupuncture Facelift
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
I couldn't find the thread where we discussed the accupuncture facelift some time ago, so just started a new one after seeing this review of them in the BeautyBulletin from CosmeticCop.

THE SKIN CARE SCOOP

Acupuncture Face-Lift?

If you can convince consumers that a moisturizer can be better than Botox,
then why not acupuncture? Sure enough, acupuncturists are beginning to use
their pins and needles to erase lines and lift sagging skin. But this doesn't
come cheap, it requires about 10 treatments that can cost between $1,000 and
$1,500, and that doesn't include the herbs and "natural" skin-care products
you will be encouraged to purchase. The advantage, of course, is that this is
not related in any way to the more invasive and risky medical procedures
performed by plastic surgeons or dermatologists. The disadvantage is that the
results are at best questionable and highly circumspect; after all, there is
no research or studies anywhere proving these treatments will net you
anything other than less money in your pocket. You have only the word of
those performing the procedure.

According to Martha Lucas, Ph.D., L.Ac., owner of The Colorado Center of
Traditional Medicine in Denver, "One of the reasons we age, is energetically
we get depleted, through TCM [Traditional Chinese Medicine] and Chinese herbs
you can hold on to your original Qi (Chi). If a person's Chi is depleted
their general health would need to be improved first. Core energy needed to
improve before [a] face lift can be done. As we age the energy of the organs
depletes and therefore everything sags, and you get wrinkles and gray hair.
Acupuncture brings Chi and blood to the face, nourishes the face, plumps up
the skin. When you increase Chi it helps lift the face." How any of this
transforms sun-damaged skin, restores fat that has been lost, or prevents
muscle movement (some of the reasons Western medicine gives for wrinkles and
sagging) is a mystery, but then unless you are an expert in TCM, the entire
explanation of why skin wrinkles or sags is a mystery.

Lucas first looks for imbalances in the overall energy of the person by
taking "pulses" in traditional areas on the body and looks for how the organ
systems are balanced or imbalanced based on TCM. Then, based on what she
finds, she inserts needles into the face, and you sit there for awhile; then
you come back and do it again. You won't be surprised to learn that Lucas
believes the results are astounding and for around $1,000 you can find out if
she's right.
-----------------------------------

Still haven't tried it, and after seeing that price, it may be a while. Sad

JUDY

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
This might be for some but not for me. Shock
I don't like needles for any reason. That is why I won't even consider Botox. I will stick with the topical treatments.
Thanks for sharing Judy. It is also good to get information on other treatments.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
I was looking at facial massage and acupuncture the other day and I came across a some before and after photos. Here's one of the pages (the other was more extensive and just as disappointing, but i've lost it).

I would like to beleive this kind of thing works because I can see the results myself from facial exercise and massage but looking at these photos - the differences seem to be really minimal especially on the second page "after 50 treatments!".

http://www.florida-secrets.com/facelift.htm

Can you see the difference?

Molly
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Hey Judy -

I found another article re: acupuncture facelifts (I was specifically searching for info re: acupuncture to make lips fuller) and this one says it takes 50 treatments to look the equivilent of having a surigcal facelift, which I would imagine would be even MORE costly than $1,000 - $1,500 your article cited!

Here’s the full text:

Accupuncture Facelift

WHAT IS IT? There are 57 muscles in your face that are all connected. Acupuncture physician Anna Baker, of Sarasota, Fla., says as you age, these muscles gradually lose their tone. Loss of tone causes the sagging, tired look we all associate with aging. Baker says acupuncture can re-tighten those muscles below the skin returning the face to a healthier, revitalized youthful appearance. The acupuncture treatment is accomplished by placing five needles in a person's head. The needles are the size of a human hair with a blunt end. Anna Baker says they do not hurt because they do not cut. Instead they go in and push the muscle fibers apart. Each treatment lasts about 25 minutes. Baker says patients will start to see a difference in their appearance after 5 to 10 treatments. She says 50 treatments are equivalent to the look you achieve with a surgical facelift.

WHO DOES IT? While there are many acupuncture physicians, Baker urges people to find someone who is trained in acupuncture for the face. She says another type of acupuncture facelift places needles directly in the wrinkles of a person's face. While results of this procedure are seen quickly, Baker says it does not last. The wrinkles essentially puff out, but return to their appearance in a matter of weeks. With the acupuncture facelift done through the head, Baker claims benefits will last as long as a surgical facelift. In addition, she says, unlike a surgical facelift, it can be renewed every 12 to 18 months with a couple of treatments to reverse additional aging.

TEN CHANGES ACUPUNCTURE DOES FOR THE FACE (According to Anna Baker):

1. Rebuild the muscles around the mouth giving patients fuller lips.
2. Improves the tone of the jaw line to lift a sagging look.
3. Strengthen the eyebrows and scalp muscles so the brow arch is naturally lifted.
4. Tightens eyelids giving a wide-awake, vibrant look.
5. Noses grow longer as people grow older. Acupuncture can shorten the nose and improve the upper lip tautness.
6. If people are concerned with their neck, an acupuncture "neck lift" can tone and improve the look of the throat area.
7. Plumps up the muscles in the cheek to give them a firmer, more chiseled look.
8. Plumps out the underlying muscles of the face, which smoothes and diminishes lines.
9. Helps smooth out the lines that are etched in the face from sleeping with the hands under the cheek or from burying the face in a scrunched pillow.
10. Improves the wrinkles caused from loss of muscle tone.
For More Information, Contact:Anna BakerAcupuncture PhysicianDoctor of Oriental Medicine7122 Mandarin RoadSarasota, FL 34238(941) 924-2723annabaker@advcom1.com

Note that bullet #1 describes HOW acupuncture can augment lip size...but does it take 50 treatments, I wonder?? Anyway, just a little more food for thought on the subject....

Carrie
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Lots of needles in my face and then paying. I don't think so

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
When I've looked at the photos of before and after at different sites, I can't see much difference especially knowing how lighting and position can effect so much. Before & after pictures have to be very dramatic for me to pay attention.
What about acupressure facelifts? I used to do a acupressure routine in my 30's and my face looked really good..healthier w/ no breakouts. (At that time, I would get the occasional pimple.) You get the added advantage of stimulating points that affect your whole body too.
I just started doing QiGong so I might just go back to doing a quick acupressure routine in the am. Smile
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
The accupuncturist at the site with the pictures was from Florida, but don't know if it was the same one.

About a year ago, when I first read about accupuncturists saying that they could relieve wrinkles in the face with accupuncture (because the needle brought chi energy to the face), I began using my Chi Exercisor very consistently on the theory that it would at least do something.

After a 15 min. Chi session, I can actually feel a firmness in my face, especially in the cheek area and I can feel that the blood is circulating in the face area. I can't say that I've noticed that has caused a specific difference in my wrinkles, but maybe it's preventing them from getting worse and you can't really see that.

JUDY

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Judy,
Maybe you can use your chi exerciser on these points provided on the link below:
http://www.naturallythinking.net/pressure.html

Although the points correspond to different organs, they are the same points used for cosmetic results. Smile
There are a few I stimulate that aren't on the chart. 2 points halfway down the forehead in line with pupils. Smile
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
Those pressure points are ones that I could use in addition to the Chi Exercisor, but the exercisor is a box with a motor and it has a foot rest mounted on top. You lie flat on the floor or a mat and place your ankles in the ankle rests, which move back and forth in a steady rhythmic motion.

The theory is that your spine flexes much like a fish when it swims. The reason they say that is good is that it is one way (according to the orientals) that the fish obtains oxygen in it's body.

The theory is that type of movement of our spine, which we do very little of on a day to day basis, is responsible for freeing blockages to allow the chi energy to flow freely through the body. Don't ask me if that's true, I just know it feels good. Wink

While I can't verify the movement of chi, I can certainly tell you that a 15 minute session on the exerciser feels heavenly. When it shuts off, you lie there for two minutes (has a timer) and you feel totally relaxed and serene. You also feel a tingling all through your body, mostly in the extremities, because it increases blood flow to those areas. You feel as relaxed as you do after a really good massage. Very Happy

I think I mentioned that it's supposed to reduce blockages to lymph flow. when I had a broken ankle that would swell horribly even 10 months after the surgery, just using that machine in that way stopped the swelling permanently and it healed beautifully. A podiatrist told me that the swelling was the pooling of lymph fluid and the the machine evidentally did cause the lymph fluid to move. I didn't care how it worked, was just thankful that it did. Smile

I use mine every single day and even take it on trips with me. I also use it right after my workout, aerobic for 30 min. and then resistance training. Don't know if it's the machine or the minerals I drink, but I'm never sore the day after my resistance training, no matter how heavy I lift. Shock I'm not the only chi nut, many of my friends have one and they are just as devoted. There's safety in numbers, even if we're all slightly crazy. Laughing

Didn't mean to go on so long, but I love things that make me feel good and relaxed!

JUDY

Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:04 am      Reply with quote
There are qualified acupuncturists and very UNqualified acupuncturists doing "acupuncture facelifts", also known as acupuncture facial rejuvenation. There is an organization that certifies these practitioners, the American Cosmetic Acupuncture Association. This is the only *non-commercial* association representing facial acupuncture. You can find the website by Googling. There, you'll find a listing of qualified practitioners and an archive of articles and resources. Also the term "acupuncture facelift" is generally considered inaccurate and not true. It isn't a facelift, isn't meant to replace a facelift.
DollyPotter
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
I was about to say, why not???? until I saw the price tag...for that, you just as soon have the botox.
happyhippie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:09 am      Reply with quote
My friend who's a model and 35 years old, got it right before a shoot, and I saw the difference...her tiny frown-line was completely gone and she looked more serene and alive (hard to explain)...so if you got the money and a big even, it might be worth it! The acupuncturist swore that after all treatments he's seen people look 10 years younger...who knows... Very Happy
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

If anyone has questions regarding Facial Rejuvenation please feel free to ask. I am trained in Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine, Ayurveda as well as an Esthetician.

I specialize in anti aging and skin disease using Acupunture (face lifting). I am happy to give you advice. I use this forum to offer free advice to people,as I have over 10 years experience working with holistic therapies and 6 years in skin care. Despite this I am constantly learning daily!!!!!!!!

Feliz
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Important note.

Make sure the Acupunturist is registered!!!!! They should only be using needles called Seirin which are the best you can buy made in Japan. They cost the practitioner $20 a box verses $3 a box for cheap Chinese made needles. These needles are very fine.

It is also important that the Acupuncturist has taken a course with Virgina DOrren. She is the only and best instructor for the entire treatment as it not only treats the face but the entire body. You will also have 20-50 needles in your face and several in the body. Yet the entire process is extremely, extremely relaxing once the first few needles are inserted!!!!!!
Expensive yet safer and less expensive than plasitc surgery.

Feliz
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Bumping. Wondering, if anyone has tried the accupuncturist facelift and if so, what were the results.

I have had accupuncture before with great results so am very interested in this.

Thanks, as always.
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:34 am      Reply with quote
It most definitely works Exclamation
Ten - twelve weekly treatments & once a month after will give you brighter & tighter skin! It isn't cheap but it works. My accupuncturist deals with (but isn't happy about) my botox & DermaDeep but with everything combined it's all awesome Smile Smile
My first treatment was about 18 months ago & I want to be able to go forever. No pain. some bruising (not all the time, though).
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:52 am      Reply with quote
Excellent news! I thought that would be the case and such a better option (cheaper, too) than surgery. Nothing against that at all; but I always look for a good deal. Smile
Kandy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
BUMP!
anybody had this done??
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:51 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |