Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
The New Edition of FlexEffect is Here!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
lisacollins00
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
KayS wrote:
I recently purchased the new edition of Flex Effect and it is just not for me. It is brand new except for the fact I watched a little of the dvd. I would like to sell it for less than I paid for it. I am asking $50.00. If interested you can pm me. Thanks!

Kay:

I think earlier in this thread there was the mention of a money back guarantee...so if your not past their deadline for a refund you should be able to get your money back
dragonflyte
5% products discount

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kay,

I'm happy to buy it! Smile
KatieKins
5% products discount

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:33 am      Reply with quote
I am really considering FlexEffect, but a little bewildered why they interviewed a physical therapist about facial exercises. A PT's scope of practice focuses on functional mobility - like walking, balance, and propelling a w/c. It is actually against our general practice act to teach facial exercises. It's too bad the folks at FlexEffect didn't consult to a speech therapist, who would had a lot more to say. I found it interesting that early in this thread Claudia (I think?)from FE commented on this lack of knowledge from a PT. Cheap shot actually, and an ill informed one. Perhaps on purpose?

KK
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:51 am      Reply with quote
I believe (and am going to share my own experience here) that many physical therapists are visited by people with bells palsey in the hope of being able to do something about their faces becoming uneven and back then plastic surgery was (and is) very expensive.

With such a medical condition, they really wanted to work with pros who knew what they were doing (and I can understand that completely).

Although I came to facial exercises for different reasons, I have appreciation as my brother has bells palsey (it came on suddenly during his 40's) and the whole right side of his face began sagging overnight. I tried to get him for ages to do them, and he wouldn't because they werent endorsed by physical therapists (or so I thought) so I'm kind of glad that they put that on youtube, as I was able to send him that link.

I think its one of those things that testimonies in large number are good because they give you a feedback. Thats one reason why Plastic Surgeon's don't endorse facial exercises.

I think that there are other testimonies there, but the fact taht this particular therapist is a trainer too I think says a lot about the effectiveness of it. There aren't that many professioanls I know of who let themselves be associated with other programs. Do you have experience of others you could share?

Theresa

KatieKins wrote:
I am really considering FlexEffect, but a little bewildered why they interviewed a physical therapist about facial exercises. A PT's scope of practice focuses on functional mobility - like walking, balance, and propelling a w/c. It is actually against our general practice act to teach facial exercises. It's too bad the folks at FlexEffect didn't consult to a speech therapist, who would had a lot more to say. I found it interesting that early in this thread Claudia (I think?)from FE commented on this lack of knowledge from a PT. Cheap shot actually, and an ill informed one. Perhaps on purpose?

KK
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:15 am      Reply with quote
KatieKins wrote:

KK

Hi KatieKins,

When you said "A PT's scope of practice focuses on functional mobility", wouldn't muscle control and hence exercise naturally be a part of an PT program? I remember when I broke and severe damaged my arm that the main things we focused on in PT were regaining muscle strength and increasing range of motion. Why would exercise be contra-indicated for PT when it applies to the face?

TIA Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:25 am      Reply with quote
I was all set to order Flex Effect but was just a bit worried about spending that much when I have never done facial exercises before and didn't know if I would stick with them... I opted instead for Joining Faceworks.. I did a search but there is limited input regarding this program. http://www.faceworks.co.uk/

I joined the Web Club so I can do the exercises right in front of my computer...personally, I think I will do them more often this way as opposed to going upstairs to watch a dvd.

Anyway, I have only done it about 4 days in a row but am liking it. It was only $23 for an annual subscription for 12 exercises.

It's a good way for me to judge whether facial exercises are something I can keep up with and at that point may branch out to trying Flex Effect, Carole Maggio and others...

On a side note, did I imagine the price of FE going up? I swear last week it was $89 and now it's $119...don't think I'm losing my mind...

38 fair skin,oily, hormonal acne, rosacea...trying to combat facial sagging and skin damage on arms and legs. Currently using a Microdermabrasion machine, Pro High Frequency Device, Faceworks facial exercises, Tua Viso, and AALS.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:58 am      Reply with quote
SkinDeep38 wrote:

On a side note, did I imagine the price of FE going up? I swear last week it was $89 and now it's $119...don't think I'm losing my mind...

No SkinDeep, it was $89 last week. I was actually thinking of purchasing it at that price. I think I'll wait on it now and just get Carole Maggio's new DVD.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
SkinDeep38 wrote:
I was all set to order Flex Effect but was just a bit worried about spending that much when I have never done facial exercises before and didn't know if I would stick with them... I opted instead for Joining Faceworks.. I did a search but there is limited input regarding this program. http://www.faceworks.co.uk/

I joined the Web Club so I can do the exercises right in front of my computer...personally, I think I will do them more often this way as opposed to going upstairs to watch a dvd.

Anyway, I have only done it about 4 days in a row but am liking it. It was only $23 for an annual subscription for 12 exercises.

It's a good way for me to judge whether facial exercises are something I can keep up with and at that point may branch out to trying Flex Effect, Carole Maggio and others...

Hi SkinDeep - I am an avid facial exerciser (two years in and going strong). I think you're approach is a good one; that is to see how you do with facial exercising as it is a somewhat daily commitment. You are so right in making it user friendly for YOU. All of the programs I've seen are different - some more in-depth than others.

Once you see how you do with the program you have you may decide to splurge and go on to another level of exercising. I also believe it is good to change things up (that is try another approach) and switch things around to keep those muscles guessing and moving! This is what I do now. The new FE program actually encourages this also with three variations on some exercises - I thought this was a great addition to the old program. I also have CM's facercise - new version for the 8 minute superset and I LOVE it too. So see how it goes for you with what you are doing and you may just want to change things up after a year when you get used to what you're doing.

Best of luck with your Facial exercise.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Skincarefreak- glad I'm not losing my mind!!

Sister Sweets- thanks for your advice... I am sure down the line I will want to pursue additional exercises b/c I may get bored or may just need a new challenge.

38 fair skin,oily, hormonal acne, rosacea...trying to combat facial sagging and skin damage on arms and legs. Currently using a Microdermabrasion machine, Pro High Frequency Device, Faceworks facial exercises, Tua Viso, and AALS.
KatieKins
5% products discount

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
The reason why I say a PT is not the appropriate medical professional to enlist for facial exercises basically comes down to our practice act. Quite simply, PTs are not taught facial exercises in school (I have a graduate degree), but I am not sure if there are additional certifications/speciality credentials that would provide a PT training for facial denervation rehabilitation. I am not saying there are not such things available to a licensed PT, I just say I don't know of them. A PT would need this type of continuing education to provide these exercises and be reimbursed for their services. I didn't see that the PT in the FlexEffect video had other credentials that would have been indicated in her professional title. In general, a speech therapist would be the medical professional of choice to see for speech or facial expression issues because that is where their training is, and people with these challenges are the ones they treat every day. On the other hand, if a ST did endorse this program, it would put them out of a job and possibly open themselves up to legal repercussions.

I don't want someone to think I am poo-pooing this exercise program. I haven't tried them and would really like to. These exercises might be great for a person with nerve denervation, I have no idea. I just wish FlexEffect hadn't gone the route of "Look what we can do that even a licenced PT couldn't couldn't do" to aid their credibility.

I'm not super eloquent, so please forgive me if I offended anyone. Absolutely not my intent.

KK
SkinDeep38
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
One of the things I wish Flex Effect would do is give more of a preview of their exercises. I did see one on YouTube but I wish I could see more to see if it would be for me...I personally didn't like the one that was on You Tube.

I understand of course not showing too many exercises b/c you want people to purchase the product but maybe a couple more would push people over the edge. Thanks for letting me vent!

KatieKins
5% products discount

Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
KatieKins wrote:

KK

Hi KatieKins,

When you said "A PT's scope of practice focuses on functional mobility", wouldn't muscle control and hence exercise naturally be a part of an PT program? I remember when I broke and severe damaged my arm that the main things we focused on in PT were regaining muscle strength and increasing range of motion. Why would exercise be contra-indicated for PT when it applies to the face?

TIA Smile

Tia,

Arm injuries would be associated with functional mobility (my description of what a PT does was very general to give the idea). It's a bit grey between PT and OT sometimes and there is the issue of overlap between the two. Your upper extremity injury would be more of a discussion about the differences between the physical and occupational therapy disciplines.

I have worked as a rural home health PT where I am the only therapist available to a patient. Believe me, I would love to teach all sorts of things to patients but have been told I can't because I don't have the CEs or credentials to defend my treatment. I have also been told I can't perform things (like wound care that I am trained and licensed for) because it falls under the nursing discipline.

I hope your arm is better! The therapy can be rough.

KK
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Katie... I wonder why you would assume that I'm trying to make cheap shots at PT's? Probably my blunt answers when I'm trying to assist here quickly... and you don't know me well enough to get the way I "talk". Much like the PT, that studies various types of massage not taught in their programs, or myofacial release (MY FAVE)... Something like FlexEffect is often a welcomed form of extended ed by many PT's (at least that's what they tell us!)

We interviewed the PT... because SHE came to us with amazement as to what we offered base on what she had offered her own patients. We've actually heard this from many PT's. Many feel that their education, although qualifies them to practice legally, and often be covered by insurance, limits what they have to offer their clients. This is not to say they don't help people, or can't for that matter... But many have told us they are grateful to have an extra tool to assist their clients.

Also, when she was interviewed... which was almost 8 years ago, but new to youtube, people were scared to death of touching their face. Many here too! They wanted medical opinions. A PT has more clout than say, a beautician who's already in love with us....

As a person who has visited with many PT's in my lifetime, I've always been most impressed and best served by those that went out of mainstream. They are the ones that have a HUGE bag of tricks to treat their patients, and the ones I find who actually successfully resolve problems their clients are having.

Ex: When I broke my leg in the ankle joint, I needed extensive therapy to get back into toe shoes. (which even at that time was no longer a career option, but a hobby). The therapist I met with told me immediately based on her evaluation of the one foot that she felt we were really lucky with little work to do. That my range of motion was almost measuring at "normal"... It wasn't until my suggestion that perhaps she compare the range of motion of the recently broken side, to my other side... that her jaw hit the floor, she let out a huge demoralizing sigh that we had a TON of work to do... and that she didn't know where to start. She finally released me from therapy with little accomplished (treadmill, and bike, toe raises...), suggesting that perhaps I just go take some dance classes that she didn't know what else to do with me. End results: She based her success with my situation on some "average" that I don't physically experience, she was out of resources the second she started with me. And I hear this a lot. Now, I know she would have done more with me had she had the tools. She was an amazing caring person... Caring enough to admit she was out of options, and couldn't see taking the $$ for pretending that she was accomplishing anything with me. In the end, her bag of tricks would have done ME better if she had a better understanding of a dancer's need for their body, and what it must accomplish... and what we do to get there. And to digress further, I also now totally understand why so many women can't wear high heels. If my range of motion at that time represents "normal" MY GOD... I totally get thinking a high heeled shoe is a torture devise. For me they are often comfy. How weird!!!! My Flexability? considered way better than average. I wonder how a person can walk if they are as tight (or tighter)as I feel.

So, to get back on point, this is actually something we hear often from stroke victims as well as those with bells palsey... Their PT's helped them very little... and not for lack of trying.

Facial Exercises although quite beneficial as it turns out for some medical purposes (keep in mind we originally promote ourselves within the beauty industry, not even thinking about all the arenas we could function in) are not taught even in a PT environment. And most certainly not with the number of exercises that we have plus all the others out there.

Most recently, I went for PT for upper back pain after repetitive lifting of my twins. They also offered very little in the way of pain relief, and were very quick to turn me over to a "trainer" to show me how to do sit-ups and various exercises... in this case teaching exercises was completely inappropriate. I had a sever over use injury. Again, a total waste of time. They wouldn't even listen to my background knowledge. They just collected my co-pay and eewed and ahhed at how I knew how to do a proper sit up. They acted as though it takes others many sessions to learn how to do a sit up properly. In the end, some situations aren't served well with a cookie cutter approach.

That all said, my PT actually studies ballet, knows what I mean when I say I'm tight, but yes, I can touch my toes... and he's capable of manipulation that releases pain immediately and OMG..permanently... LOVE HIM!

I had not thought about a speech therapist evaluating our program... and if It might have any merit within their arena. But now that I have my little guys in speech therapy (damn their twin speak) that makes a lot of sense. I know a handful of them too. I'll have to check into that. Thanks...

Regarding the price. It's NOT your imagination. We had the lower price up as an introductory offer. The offer was supposed to close as of March 1, 2010. This was done because we knew we would have many 1st and 2nd edition customers that would appreciate the break, and we appreciate them. We also decided it would be nice and easier to manage by offering it to newbies as well. We rec'd many requests at the last minute if we could hold out for the next payday etc... and figured what the heck. So, we postponed the price increase. Sorry you weren't able to jump in on that.

I am VERY S-L-O-W-L-Y working on our facebook pages. If you're interested watch for contests where one can win a 2nd edition DVD for trysies!

Again, everyone, feel free to ask me directly about anything I'm talking about. I probably know better as to what I mean (even if I blew it in my communication style) than another interpretation of what I mean. Happy to try and address your concerns and questions.

Whew... that was a long one... catch you all later!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I just ordered FlexEffect program and hope it does not take long to get it. After weeks and
weeks of trying to figure out what gadget, what program, etc. to follow and after reading so many things about the program, I think this is the way to go.

What I would like to do is build up or tone my jawline and prevent my naso-labial lines and marionette lines. I am not a body builder but I do weights and other gym exercises equipment and I know the same way I have had success building up my body, I can have for my face... I hope. Now, I am using Obagi Nuderm with Retina and vitamin C and it seems that my nasolabial folds are softened quite a lot.I just need that strong jaw that would give definition to my face.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
I think you will be more than pleased with your choice!!! Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi KatieKins,

Oh, very interesting. I see now what you are saying with training specialities and legalities. I had no idea, but this was very helpful to hear when I go to PT next time. Thank you! Gotta love all the expertise on EDS Very Happy

In case it helps, I don't think Claudia's intention was to make a cheap shot at all.

But that's a great point you make about hearing from speech therapists.

All the best Smile

(P.S. Tia is not my real name Smile, rather TIA = Thanks In Advance Smile)

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
margarett wrote:
Well, I just ordered FlexEffect program and hope it does not take long to get it. After weeks and
weeks of trying to figure out what gadget, what program, etc. to follow and after reading so many things about the program, I think this is the way to go.

What I would like to do is build up or tone my jawline and prevent my naso-labial lines and marionette lines. I am not a body builder but I do weights and other gym exercises equipment and I know the same way I have had success building up my body, I can have for my face... I hope. Now, I am using Obagi Nuderm with Retina and vitamin C and it seems that my nasolabial folds are softened quite a lot.I just need that strong jaw that would give definition to my face.

Margarett - You've made a wise move toward controlling the look of your face and maintaining a youthful look. I LOVE my FE and facial exercise is the core of my program. It's amazing.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
margarett wrote:

Now, I am using Obagi Nuderm with Retina and vitamin C and it seems that my nasolabial folds are softened quite a lot.

I'm not sure if beginning the Flex Effect program while on Obagi Nu Derm is a good idea; you may want to ask on one of the Obagi threads if they are compatible.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
I don't see why it would be contraindicated Lacy? Do You?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I don't see why it would be contraindicated Lacy? Do You?

Actually, I do.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, Lacy, thank you. I will ask.. Never thought about it.

Anyway, I do want to give it a try and maybe finish with the Obagi intensive program and while in maintenance do the FlexEffect, or just quit Obagi and continue with Retin-a and vitamin C. My hyper-pigmentation is not so bad anymore.

Toby and sister sweets: I am very excited that I am finally taking the plunge!
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
I find that starting multiple things at one time can be distressing to the skin. And although not detrimental (Deb and I have both used Obagi while flexing. Granted we both are retin-a users and actually both experienced very little "reaction to the product..." I don't think either of us stuck with it for more than 4 weeks.), can feel VERY overwhelming to deal with. Especially if you get the extreme peelies with the system. Further, rather than ask people that deal perhaps for the most part with just that system, I would inquire more specifically of people that have done both at the same time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:25 am      Reply with quote
I am not understanding why flexing your facial muscles would be contraindicated if you were peeling or using Obagi.
I've flexed through all kinds of new skin care protocals. Retin-A, Copper Peptides. glycolics, TCA peels????

I am not familiar with Obagi. Those who I know personally have gotten it from a plastic surgeon or derm office.
Most Derms and P.S's don't know much about facial exercise to I'd take advice about that in general with a grain of salt.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:40 am      Reply with quote
I read on the FE forum and could find people using both or asking questions about it and so far, no problem.
I still have to get the program in the mail and go through the literature, plus I can ask over
there. I don't see the problem either ... if one starts slow and observe the reaction it does to one's face.
I could think the face gets even more red due to blood circulation, but mine went through that stage already (the tomato face),
but overall I'm loving what Obagi is doing to my skin in general.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Hey Sister... To me it's not contraindicated at all. I just find that multiple starts can be overwhelming (and only for some people). If however, you've researched, and no what to expect then go for it. A person that pays close attn. to their results should be fine.

I have seen people that confuse the results of FE's with the results of topicals. CP's for example with rapid skin drape. Irritated skin from retin-A, and too much rubbing/friction.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |