Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My Obagi nuderm diary...with follow up :)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi TexasStar, Sydney, and Brean,
It sounds like you guys are all going through normal Nuderm reactions. Lots of fun, huh??? But the good news is that it does get better and you'll really like the way your skin will look!

Lines and wrinkles (especially under eye are) will often look terrible for awhile, but as your skin acclimates to the products, all of that will soften. It does get worse before it gets better in so many of us! This whole Obagi thing is quite a journey with a lot of ups and downs along the way. One day you'll feel like you're making progress and the next, you're saying to yourself: "Ugh! What am I doing??"

Just persist, and you will eventually see light at the end of the tunnel!

RE: Exfoderm/cleanser for flakies: I used water to rinse with, apply sunscreen, and mmu.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Texas,,,welcome to this forum,,,and welcome to my thread :)hehe...
All symptoms that u r experiencing are normal as everybody else told you...We have all gone thur this phase and have faced excatly that u r facing these days...
I started obagi cuz my skin became a mess,,,very very blotchy dirty looking with acne scars,dry rough skin,,,Overall it was ugly,,,ofcourse its not what i born with,,,my skin was pretty good 3 years ago but then due to many bad things that i did to my self and also due to some medicines i took,,,it became a big mess,to the point that i becane obsessed with it,,i used to cry with huge tears,,,OMG..dont wanna thik about it...so what i wanna say is that,,,,i have gone thru all ur going thru ,,,my skin felt like a different kind of mess in the first few weeks,,,got flaky,,red,,and raw at times,,very dry and yes,,,i got wrinkles around my eyes(that i never had in my life),,,,so now its my 9th week,,,life has changed as far as the skin is concerned,,,i m no more that tensed about my skin,,,i havent got the complete results yet,,,still have room for improvement,,,but still i cant imagine and cant believe the results have already achieved in these 9 weeks,,,my skin has become much better than when i started,,,it is much much better,,,cant say it is ugly anymore,,,cant say its beautiful either since,it is still red/pink in areas so i cant tel u how even tone of skin is now,,,but the blotchiness is gone,,,skin looks like alive specially if i dont use obagi for a day,sonce obagi temporarily makes ur skin dry,,,,,so i m sure once i m done with 18 to 24 weeks,,,and then go on maintenance,use this system only 2 or 3 times a week,,i m sure i m gonna see the real esults,,,but so far so good,,,never imagined there was somehting that could make me smile again,,that could bring my lost beauty back...
It will do wonders for u,,,just dont give up...
and yes as Moosejavian said,,Rileygirl and Kims are my two angels...they ll help u on every step ..
hang in there Smile
maheen1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
Kims,the raw skin i got form threaading is not raw anymore,,infact that area developed scab,that has shed and the underlying skin is a bit pink,,but as time is passing it is getting lighter and lighter and not brown anymore,,,,not prominent either Smile
Thank uuuuuuuuuuu Smile i am happy again SmileSmileSmile

Hmmm Texas,,u know,,i am also going to buy Jane iredale loose mineral powder,the translucent finishing powder,the hydration spray,concealer and the tinted moisturizer...Only have to try the shade AMBER(have already tried all others,thought warm sienna would be fine for me,,but since i m on obagi,my skin has becme lighter,as it used to be 3 years ago,,,so i found warm sienna was a bit dark for me,,,)Once i try amber and its fine for me,,,i ll buy it....I think u should also give jane iredale a try,,i have heard good htings about it...if its really good,,,then i think spending a bit more money is worth it...Smile
The regualr foundations used to look really dirty on e because i had dark blotchiness all over my face that would show even thru the thick layer of foundation,,,but Obagi has helped me and have no more such problem so now i think i ccan start using Mineral makeup cuz there is no more blotchiness that i want to hide SmileSmileSmile
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Maheen,
Glad to hear that you're skin is healing nicely. And, btw, you're such a sweetie! I really appreciate your compliments!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
My face is in the raw stage again! I actually took a break from it last night and this morning too and just put my cucumber gel on. When I got home at noon my order for my new sunscreen came so I cleansed my face and did the morning routine coz I wanted to try my new sunscreen. Whoa, everything stung so bad again, I had to fan myself. I am looking pink in my cheeks still and I can see the plastic looking surface again. I know I will be in for a major peeling in the next few days.
maheen1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
hehe Kims u r a sweetie pie ur self...so helpful so caring,so adorable,,,and yes my angel:)
I mean it...What else can i or anyone expect from someone we dont know,and who s helping me and others so much in each an every step...u r the best... it requires time and u take out time for us...Smile thank u soooo much once again...
Moose i m sure ur skin is going to get back to normal very soon...
My skinvis looking better these days...well more even toned,less red,only the areas of my skin that threading damaged,are still a bit pink but getting very light...i m happy with how my skin is doing..."Smile
maheen1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
I have just ordered 2 clear
1 blender
2 tretinoin tubes 0.1%...each 50 gm...
1 exfoderm forte...

i m already using the 2nd bottle of clear,1st bottles of blender and exfoderm ...
Do u girls think ,this is going to be enuff for the total 18 weeks obagi nuderm cycle...I m on week 9th,,,so another 9 weeks are left Smile
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
maheen1 wrote:
I have just ordered 2 clear
1 blender
2 tretinoin tubes 0.1%...each 50 gm...
1 exfoderm forte...

i m already using the 2nd bottle of clear,1st bottles of blender and exfoderm ...
Do u girls think ,this is going to be enuff for the total 18 weeks obagi nuderm cycle...I m on week 9th,,,so another 9 weeks are left Smile

I think that should get you for the next nine weeks. If you do the 24 week cycle, you might need another Clear. Sounds like the rawness is subsiding!

Moosej, definitely seems a good peel is coming your way! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
thanks Kims...one bottle of clear lasts me for 6 whole weeks,,,i apply it liberally but dont like to waste it hehe,,,so may be these 2 will last me for 24 weeks,,,cuz i estimated,if one lasts me for 6 weeks then the total of 4 should last me for a total of 24 weeks,,,hmm m i estimating it wrong ? anyway Smile thanks Kims...
These days i dotn peel in flakes etc,,,its jsut that,,when i wake up,i wash my face with lke warm water,and then just rub very very lightly,,,,,there is soo much soft dead skin that comes off,everyday...so does that mean i m still peeling but in a beautful way ? ha ha Smile
Anyway ,can anyone tell me that after completing the 18 or 24 weeks( that i ll decide later but most probably 24 weks),,,,i will start using moisturizer on my face every day and every night,,,but if i go on to maintenance,,,can i use the moisturizer regularly or it would reduce the effectiveness of Retin a if i use it along with retin a??? if i can use it on the same day i m using retin a,then,,,would i apply the moistrurizer under retin a or retin a under the moisturizer,,which one i apply first ???
Thanks ssssssssssssssss Smile
moosejavian
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Maheen, hopefully Kims or Riley will be able to answer your questions.

Ok, one thing I've been finding myself doing since being on the Obagi and learning more about skin health, I've been looking at other people's faces/skin more often! I work in healthcare and see lots of people everyday and I see lots of people that I can recommend Obagi to Laughing I of course haven't said anything but it's amazing how that happens!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
maheen1 wrote:

Anyway ,can anyone tell me that after completing the 18 or 24 weeks( that i ll decide later but most probably 24 weks),,,,i will start using moisturizer on my face every day and every night,,,but if i go on to maintenance,,,can i use the moisturizer regularly or it would reduce the effectiveness of Retin a if i use it along with retin a??? if i can use it on the same day i m using retin a,then,,,would i apply the moistrurizer under retin a or retin a under the moisturizer,,which one i apply first ???
Thanks ssssssssssssssss Smile

You probably won't need a moisturizer every day and every night. That is what Nu Derm is doing, taking your skin back to a healthier state where you don't need that. However, whatever you choose, you can use a moisturizer with Retin A. You would apply the RA first and wait 1 hour before applying a moisturizer.

(And yes, you are still peeling in a good way!) Very Happy
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
Ditto what Rileygirl says!! I rarely have to use a moisturizer at all. I've used it a few times this winter due to the cold weather and the dry, indoor heating.

Now the skin on my hands and the rest of my body is a completely different story!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Moose where do u work ? thats strange u see people who u can recommend obagi,,,Whereever i go,,,i find my self the only person with bad skin Sad that makes things worse Sad
U know what ? when after anotehr few weeks,ur skin will become completely flaawless,,,,and people will come and ask u what u do for ur skin,,then that would be the right time to suggest Obagi nuderm to them Smile
How is ur skin doing other wise ? rawness still there ?
maheen1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Kims and Riley,,,,,got my answer,,,retin a first,,,wait for na hour followed by moistruizer Smile

I have heard we should moisturize our skins regularly,,,dont u think,,if we wont do that after obagi is comleted,,,,it will cause dehydration and eventually wrinkling of our skin ?
Thanks buddies...u r the best....
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
maheen1 wrote:
Thanks Kims and Riley,,,,,got my answer,,,retin a first,,,wait for na hour followed by moistruizer Smile

I have heard we should moisturize our skins regularly,,,dont u think,,if we wont do that after obagi is comleted,,,,it will cause dehydration and eventually wrinkling of our skin ?

Hi Maheen,
I think part of the purpose of Nuderm is to return your skin to a healthier state in which it can do its job. However, I think whether or not to use moisturizer is really a personal decision based on your particular skin type. For me, using moisturizer all the time would result in clogged pores simply because my skin tends to be oily on its own.

I think you'll just need to assess your skin post-Nuderm and see what it needs. But I don't really believe that not using a moisturizer will necessarily cause wrinkles.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
Maheen, it's strange but tonight when I applied the products, it didn't sting like it did last night. The only new thing I did starting yesterday was try on this sunscreen from Pure + Simple. I am not sure if it did something to my skin because of the other ingredients in it or maybe with this 2nd cycle my skin bounces back easier with the side effects. Who knows!

I work in a lab at a hospital so it's not the most glamorous place to be, people who work there don't generally come all made up. I would also see patients who come for blood work and I usually find myself comparing my skin to theirs if they are close to the same age as me. There's 2 ladies at work who just came back from a beach vacation and they damaged their skin. I just want to go up to them and point out what they had done but I think they are happy that they "tanned". Oh well, yeah I hope after the 18wks people would start asking about my skin.
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:41 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
maheen1 wrote:

Hi Maheen,
I think part of the purpose of Nuderm is to return your skin to a healthier state in which it can do its job. However, I think whether or not to use moisturizer is really a personal decision based on your particular skin type. For me, using moisturizer all the time would result in clogged pores simply because my skin tends to be oily on its own.

I think you'll just need to assess your skin post-Nuderm and see what it needs. But I don't really believe that not using a moisturizer will necessarily cause wrinkles.

Just read an interview with Dr. Obagi and his philosophy seems to be that moisturizers can do more harm than good because they don't allow the skin to produce the moisture itself. He states that moisture should come from drinking lots of water and have a diet good for your skin, Omega 3, etc. I'd guess, and exercising
In some cases though, like in dry weather and on airplanes etc a moisturizer can be used but it doesn't do much for you (just feels good) and should be used in combination with products that activates your skin.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:32 am      Reply with quote
blueeyes wrote:

Just read an interview with Dr. Obagi and his philosophy seems to be that moisturizers can do more harm than good because they don't allow the skin to produce the moisture itself. He states that moisture should come from drinking lots of water and have a diet good for your skin, Omega 3, etc. I'd guess, and exercising
In some cases though, like in dry weather and on airplanes etc a moisturizer can be used but it doesn't do much for you (just feels good) and should be used in combination with products that activates your skin.

That is exactly his stance. There was also a thread on here a while ago that discussed the moisturizers. Nu Derm is all about taking your skin back to a healthy state where you don't need a moisturizer day in and day out. There are times a person needs them, but if your skin is healthy it is not often.
beann1210
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi girls! I just found out that there's a Obagi eye cream made specifically for the NuDerm system. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it good just because it doesn't irritate while on the system, or is it better than other eye creams at helping the dryness? Also, does anyone know if the Tretinoin is supossed to be applied around the eyes?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:20 am      Reply with quote
beann1210 wrote:
Hi girls! I just found out that there's a Obagi eye cream made specifically for the NuDerm system. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it good just because it doesn't irritate while on the system, or is it better than other eye creams at helping the dryness? Also, does anyone know if the Tretinoin is supossed to be applied around the eyes?

If you are talking about the Elastiderm, I found it useless. Yes, apply the tretinoin around the eyes.
beann1210
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:57 am      Reply with quote
No, not the Elastiderm. There's one specifically for use during the NuDerm treatment. I'm assuming it's only good for those that are having problems with irritation from other eye creams.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Riley,Kims and blueeyes...Got my answer...my skin is dry these days for sure but i m not puting any moisturzier on it..i m fine,,dont really bothered with this dryness but yeah if its gonna be finie once my skin has gone thru all the cycles then yes why should i need a moistruzzier if i dont need it Smile its exciting....
Moose,,,i m sure u r skin will be soo beautiful that people will ask u what u do for it,,and then u can tell them about Obagi...i hope it also happens with me SmileSmileSmile
Moose did u buy Jane iredale yet ? i told u,,,i tired warm sienna,,,thought it was a b it dar for me,,very little bit i should say,so i thoguth amber would be the righ tshade fo rme,,today i tried that and guess what ? it is not as yellow as my skin is and as warm sienna is..i like the yellow tone of warm sienna ,,,amber is also a shade for people with yellow tones but it ha sa very very light pinkish hue in it,,so i dont know why they say it is for yellow tones...so i like the yellow in warm sienna,,,so dont know if i shhould buy amber or warm sienna...i dont know if i really should care warm sieena being a bit darker than my skin tone...like if my skin is 9,then it is 10...Smile

Anyway
9th week completed...so Update :

No blotchiness on face which means the obagi nuderm has cured al the blotchiness already...the face i used to see before using obagi,,,i dont see that any more in the mirror,,that one was miserable but this one is not Smile
----Fair complexion,,may be cuz the dark blotchiness is gone...
-----The skin still flakes...It flakes more when i apply more retin a to some specific area...But its only falky when i wake up in the morning,,then i rub it in shower and its alright for the rest of the day...
-----Acne caused by using retin a is almost gone,,but the marks are still there...

Overall,,,the skin is 80 percent bette...there is still alot to improve...Today i was in the car,,with a mirror in hand,in sunlight to see whats exaclty going on with my skin,,,I was a bit disappointed i must admit...My nasolabial fold is still as prominent as it was always...Also the scas left by old acne are still there and appear a bit pinkish than the rest of the skin,,so it makes my face less even toned...
I still dont get the feeling like WOW,,,look at my skin...dont expect it to be perfect ever,,,but atleast close to perfect,..
I am waiting for the time when people who have seen me in my bad skin days,will come to me and tell me that my skin is looking better than the last time they saw me...
Hopeeeeeeeesssssss.....
Sydney
5% products discount

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies,

I'm sorry to say that I have caved after 13 weeks. Last week was particularly bad and my skin started to sting again (hadn't done this since week 4-5). I stopped the obagi and I have to say that I am very pleased with my skin. I have looked at the before and after piccies and I think that there is a significant positive difference, so I am planning to do maintenance from here on in. Rileygirl, I have read previous posts where you have advised on maintenance, but can't find them now. I would be grateful if you could run thro' maintenance again for me. I hope you ladies have more staying power than me, however I can say that looking at my piccies I am very very happy that I have undergone this treatment!! Good Luck!!
Sydney
5% products discount

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Also Rileygirl, I note that you do not rate Elastaderm. I used the cream and was happy, but then switched to the gel, it seems that I have more eye wrinkles than ever. Now I have stopped the aggressive approach with Nuderm, I am debating whether it is worth persevering with the elastaderm gel. I think that the combination of the 2 made my eye area even drier and made my crows feet more prominent. I am now waiting for my skin to settle down totally. What have your experiences been? Thanks
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Sydney! I am happy to hear that your skin looks great. Some people only need 12 weeks before they are ready to go on maintenance, so you must be one of those lucky ones!!

Here's the "normal" maintenance schedule for Nu Derm:

AM: Cleanse/Tone. Clear 2-3 mornings a week, on opposite days Exfoderm 2 mornings a week. Sunscreen.

PM: Cleanse/Tone, and then Retin A/Blender anywhere from 2-5 nights a week.

The play comes in with the Blender/RA combo and how many nights one needs to use them. Some people can maintain they results with only 2 nights a week use. However, others need to use the products 5 nights a week to maintain results. You will have to play around and see what your own skin requires. Your goal is to use the 2 products combined the least amount of days you need to in order to maintain what you have achieved.

On the off days and nights when you don't use Obagi products, you can use whatever you want.

Regarding the Elastiderm, I have used both the cream and the gel. While I didn't have more dryness from either of them, I just never got the results from them either. I would just use whatever eye cream you find that you like! Good luck, Sydney!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:23 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |