Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
The Best Vitamin C Serum and what it does for you?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
beautyrose
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
"Obagi Professional-C Serum 20% Strength"
This is a really great Vitamin C serum.
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
As Riley mentioned, Cosmetic Skin Solutions is inexpensive. It's a skinceuticals knock off brand that has gotten decent reviews. You can read more here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31779&highlight=cosmetic+skin+solutions
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 03, 2010 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
I second Cellbone - you get a lot of product for the $$ and they are very generous with samples. I recommend the glycolic C and also C-23

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 04, 2010 4:49 am      Reply with quote
I use ASAP (an Australian brand) that has 23% L-ascorbic acid. They say that this is the highest concentration allowed. I use 1-2 drops at night time. People have commented on how luminous my skin is and what I use. It is 30ml for $69.95 however you can find it for cheaper on internet sites or ebay. I love it. It has helped fade acne scars but my one hyperpigmentation spot has not really faded. Highly recommended for 20-30 something old skin Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 5:39 am      Reply with quote
Guppy wrote:
Is there another one that is just at good or a tad bit lower in quality but is cheaper? I'd rather not DIY.

Thanks.

The Obagi Professional C Serums are really good IMO. You can purchase them from Ebay for as little as $30. There are three strenghts, 10%, 15% and 20%. It's not greasy either.

Hope this helps,

Dee
lisocas
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 7:03 am      Reply with quote
I use the C+ Firming Serumfrom Cellular Skin Rx. It gave me really good results and it´s about 28 euros. The only downside is that is only formulated with 12% of vit C. I never tried others but this works perfectly for me.
Did you girls ever tried this? What´s your opinion on it?

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/cellular-skin-rx-c-firmin-p_4142.ht
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using the CSRx C+ Firming serum and find it does pretty much the same as other C serums. I love the Vivier serums but will continue with the CSRx serum because of the big difference in price.
One of these days I'll have to try making my own.
lisocas
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2010 4:12 am      Reply with quote
Im thinking about doing the same but I wonder how much it custs to get those ingredients to Portugal. Although I definitely need to try a serum with 20% I can´t really afford one, so I guess I´m going to have to learn how to do it too Wink
vc0117
5% products discount

Fri May 07, 2010 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Guppy wrote:

So this is the only real clear cut winner? No others that you gals recommend that is a little cheaper?

You can check out Cosmetic Skin Solutions, which has a product that is very similar.

I second rileygirl. I'm on my 3rd bottle of Cosmetic Skin Solutions and I'm happy with it. I've tried other brands, including Skinceuticals, but keep coming back to this one. Check reviews on Amazon.
zhoushuhappy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:02 am      Reply with quote
obagi 20%, it makes my skin clear and shinning.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:33 am      Reply with quote
I'm using vit c serum sold on amazon.com by a vendor called nufountain. I don't know much about this vendor. It just popped up when I did a google search for vitamin c serum 20%. I tried ordering it because they offerred buy 2 and get 3 deal. So far I'm happy with it. They made it fresh the day I ordered it. I was concerned about the delivery time since it was in the middle of summer and it was hot, but it seemed to have got to me ok. I noticed an improvement quickly. My skin looked glowing. I applied it even on my eyelids. However a couple of days ago I added kojic acid serum on top of vit c, and i think it's a strong combo. I'm getting crepiness under my eyes, so i'll back off applying the kojic acid serum under my eyes. oh i put retin a on top of everything, so maybe i put too much stuff.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:52 am      Reply with quote
Skinmedica C&E - in my opinion, it's the only one I know of that can have any degree of efficacy (with reasonable certainty) and I like what it does for my skin.

BF
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Skinmedica C&E - in my opinion, it's the only one I know of that can have any degree of efficacy
BF

BF, do you say this due to the L-ascorbic acid stability issue?
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
yes, but I should probably rephrase that. I think any non-aquaeous C serum would be better than C dissolved in water, due to the product stability issue. I think the trouble stems from the fact that no water based serum (that I know of) comes with a manufacture date on the package.

In addition to my own reading, I learned a lot about this from the person (cannot remember his name) who runs the Bulk Actives website.

BF
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
yes, but I should probably rephrase that. I think any non-aquaeous C serum would be better than C dissolved in water, due to the product stability issue. I think the trouble stems from the fact that no water based serum (that I know of) comes with a manufacture date on the package.

In addition to my own reading, I learned a lot about this from the person (cannot remember his name) who runs the Bulk Actives website.

BF

Thanks, BF. Can you share what the SM C&E has done for your skin? I love the Skinceuticals (C, E, Ferulic) and the reason why is because it fades my freckles! Other than that, I have never seen an improvement in my skin from any topical C serum (though I haven't tried the SkinMedica for any length of time, just a sample size).
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
hey rileygirl, sounds like you have gotten fresh serum Smile good!

I find when I add the C&E to my existing regimen that my skin appears to be "fresher" looking - not as dull. When I forget to use it (because I don't use it as often as other actives), I don't think my face looks as "fresh".

BF Smile
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
hey rileygirl, sounds like you have gotten fresh serum Smile good!

I find when I add the C&E to my existing regimen that my skin appears to be "fresher" looking - not as dull. When I forget to use it (because I don't use it as often as other actives), I don't think my face looks as "fresh".

BF Smile

Thanks, BF! I have always gotten fresh Skinceuticals and mine have never went bad or "off" on me. I may give the SkinMedica a try, though I think that it is really either the E or Ferulic acid that is really fading my freckles, to be honest!
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:37 am      Reply with quote
the problem with oxidation is that you can't see it or tell it. I know some people refer to the color or smell of the serum, but from what I understand, by the time the color or smell turns, oxidation already happened a long time ago - and the last thing I need is anything on my skin that promotes oxidation!

Father time does that enough!

BF
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
the problem with oxidation is that you can't see it or tell it. I know some people refer to the color or smell of the serum, but from what I understand, by the time the color or smell turns, oxidation already happened a long time ago - and the last thing I need is anything on my skin that promotes oxidation!

Father time does that enough!

BF

I agree. I don't need oxidation, either!
butterfliesandflowers
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi girls,
I just wanted to see if anyone knows if the form of vitamin c - tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate lasts as long as I have read. My tetra c serum is ment to stay 'fresh' for around 3months once open, does everyone think that's correct?. Also will it go orange once it has oxidised like LAA does?. thank you!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
I make it up in 1 oz. amounts (basically same as any facial serum that is DIY) I have used a THDA in botanical oil for over 6 months now and the oils are already yellow-amber in color. It is known to be much more stable than LAA from all the reading I have done about it. Mine hasn't darkened at all, it can be clear in color or slightly yellow when purchased. Smile

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/tetrahexyldecyl-ascorbate-BV-OSC.html

Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate is a very stable, oil-soluble Vitamin C ester which has anti-oxidant activity, inhibiting lipid peroxidation. Topical use can mitigate the damaging effects of UV exposure. Studies have shown it to stimulate collagen production as well as clarifying and brightening the skin by inhibiting melanogenesis (the production of pigment) thereby promoting a more even skin tone. Unlike ascorbic acid, it will not exfoliate or irritate skin.

Typical Usage: .5-2%, up to 7%
Appearance: Clear to pale yellow viscous liquid
Storage: Store in a cool dry place, avoid freezing
Solubility: Oil Soluble

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks darkmoon, yes,that puts my mind at rest a bit more. Its quite hard to find info on it through google, so thank you.
I had been thinking of trying LAA soon but with all the talk of oxidation and being new to the whole vitamin c thing, think I will stick to tetra for now!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
butterfliesandflowers wrote:
Thanks darkmoon, yes,that puts my mind at rest a bit more. Its quite hard to find info on it through google, so thank you.
I had been thinking of trying LAA soon but with all the talk of oxidation and being new to the whole vitamin c thing, think I will stick to tetra for now!

I can understand and the tetra is a newer derivative that's available. Honestly I make a LAA serum and the THDA and use one am and one pm! Smile I just make small amounts of the LAA and use it up quickly, going for all the protection I can get. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for directing me to lotioncrafter too DM, just having a look through the web site now, very interesting reading!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
butterfliesandflowers wrote:
Thank you for directing me to lotioncrafter too DM, just having a look through the web site now, very interesting reading!

Glad it is a help butterfliesandflowers. Smile The tetra serum is very easy to make so it's a great one to start with.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |