Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Favorite Recipe for C+E+Ferulic Serum?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hermosa wrote:
Thanks DarkMoon! Usually I can google my way out of ignorance, so I'm lucky to have you all to help me out when google lets me down!

I think the acronyms are enough to make us all a little crazy at times! Nothing ignorant about it Smile

I actually found your Tennessee Housing Development Agency absolutely clever as can be not to mention hysterical! So thanks for a hearty laugh! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
Didn't realise so much drama in the diy area! Don't go Kassy you are an international treasure!!

I want to make the Vit C serum w jojoba and am just wondering too if any vodka can be used. I guess you have to use distilled water? Also do you just put it all together?? Saw something Kassy said about 2 or 3 phases somewhere. I have been reading EDS all morning and last night and last weekend too to catch up. Now it's past 2pm! Just don't want people to think I am too lazy to read for myself Embarassed
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:21 am      Reply with quote
The vodka is to 'dissolve' the ferulic acid. It is said to work best if the vodka is cold.

One of Kassy's many recipes:
15% Vitamin C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba

1 tsp L-AA
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
3 tsp H2O
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Vodka or Witch Hazel (vodka is best and purest though.)

Hope that helps.

OR...hang on a second...

15% C,E + FA with HA (New 6/23/09)

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
3 tsp Distilled H2O
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Glycerin
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp vodka
1/8 tsp Vitamin E or Rosehip Oil
1/2 tsp Hyaluronic Acid Serum (NCN has a really nice 2oz serum, that is compatible with this recipe, and is also great for an LED serum)

Use 2 little glasses.

Phase 1 glass (water)

Put L-AA in glass, add water, stir frequently and let it fully dissolve. Depending where you buy it, that can take up to an hour.. *Lotioncrafters dissolves quickly I hear*.. (If, and only if, after 60 minutes it's still gritty, you can sit the glass in a warm water bath for a minute, and stir, stir, stir.

Phase 2 glass (oil/emulsifying)

While you are waiting for the L-AA to dissolve, you can proceed with the rest like so. Put the FA in the 2nd glass, pour the vodka in and stir, now add the SKB. Mix this together, and put it in the microwave for 6ish seconds. When you take it out it should be whitish and serumy.. Give it a stir, add the oil and stir + add the glycerin and stir..

Phase 3 (putting it all together)

When the L-AA has fully dissolved, add the contents of both glasses together, stir well, and add the HA in now and stir well..

*sigh*

I have a file of Vit C recipes...
*embarrassed to admit *
Quote:
I have been reading EDS all morning and last night and last weekend too to catch up. Now it's past 2pm!

Guilty as charged your honor,...did the same thing. Laughing
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:16 am      Reply with quote
Thanks DragoN ((hugs)) Smile I'm going to use that one!
Still got to do the dermaroller thread sometime.. Oh brother..
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
It's all worth it. I have notepads of information gleaned at EDS and finally started a file on my computer of skincare tips, recipes, must haves. I love it.
I've learned so much on EDS. I went to a dermatologists open house recently and his wife does microdermabrasions, etc and runs the place. I went to check it out and see what they knew, had to say, etc.

They had NO IDEA about dermarolling benefits, NO IDEA about facial exercise, and she asked me WHY??? when I told her I use retin A. Not going back there. And they are plugging themselves as "State of the Art". Oh and skincare recs were appalling. Many drugstore varieties were suggested(and not the stuff we like)... (silicones, parabens, fragrance.) Honestly could not believe it. Other recs they carry were barely what I call So-So.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Sister sweets

Quote:
"State of the Art"

More like the Art of the State of ripping people off.

Baffle'em with BS and sell them crap.
*sigh*

Recently a lady told me Zinc causes cancer... Embarassed I asked her for the science to back up her claim...she got really rather pissed with me..*oh well* ...she doesn't like my sunscreen on me, says it's "oily'...not to me it isn't. It's a waterproof unit I cobbled together, strictly for function...and I am supposed to be 'learning' from her.

*sigh*

Her hair sticks out like dead straw from her head...and she is teaching me how to make 'shampoo'....me thinks I am going to pass on her ideas...I go for the shitz and giggles of it...but I have my own thoughts.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
Sister sweets

Quote:
"State of the Art"

More like the Art of the State of ripping people off.

Baffle'em with BS and sell them crap.
*sigh*

Recently a lady told me Zinc causes cancer... Embarassed I asked her for the science to back up her claim...she got really rather pissed with me..*oh well* ...she doesn't like my sunscreen on me, says it's "oily'...not to me it isn't. It's a waterproof unit I cobbled together, strictly for function...and I am supposed to be 'learning' from her.

*sigh*

Her hair sticks out like dead straw from her head...and she is teaching me how to make 'shampoo'....me thinks I am going to pass on her ideas...I go for the shitz and giggles of it...but I have my own thoughts.

Bad Grin Laughing Bad Grin Laughing Bad Grin

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:45 am      Reply with quote
DragoN: Hahahahahahah!!! Laughing Laughing

sister sweets, got to agree. Got some proper clues here. Recently went for a facial for the first time in years. What a total waste!! AUD90 for what was basically a psychological spiv job. Nowadays people demand actual results rather than just being treated very politely in a lowlit plush salon and having (low active, paraben filled products) wiped around their face. Wasn't even any kind of beneficial motion like tanaka or brushing - just wiping Neutral Totally useless. She even walked off and left me for 15mins on my own while the mask "was working". Should have walked as soon as I saw her face, she is friendly and polite so that's nice but her skin was blotchy and only had no wrinkles because of morbid obesity puffing it out. Oh well
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Anybody use vit. C serum all over their body?
I'm going to be making my own Vit c + E ferulic acid with jojoba oil on the face...but I wanted to also use it on my whole body

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
I'm going to be making my own Vit c + E ferulic acid with jojoba oil on the face...but I wanted to also use it on my whole body

I make that one up in 4oz batches, keep in the fridge, and use it head to toe about 3 times per week.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:

That's another great thing about DIY, You can afford to use your potions anywhere and everywhere you wish! Smile

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I just made Kassy"s Vit.CSerum with the Jojoba Oil and so far so good!! if you follow the instructions you should have no problems at all. She is wonderful and very helpful!
tanyasusie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
BCgirl wrote:

I make that one up in 4oz batches, keep in the fridge, and use it head to toe about 3 times per week.

Kassy, thank you so much for sharing your recipes! I just ordered the ingredients and am excited to get them so I can make the recipe for my body too.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:55 am      Reply with quote
I've been looking all morning in this forum for the list of Kassy's Vit C recipes. Can someone post the link on this thread

=)

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:00 am      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
I've been looking all morning in this forum for the list of Kassy's Vit C recipes. Can someone post the link on this thread

=)

They are all listed on the recipe index, just scroll down to the Vitamin C recipes. Smile

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
I just tried the jojoba version for the first time because of all the raves and it is definitely my favorite!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
I just realized that many are listed by Kassy on page one of this thread along with links.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:31 am      Reply with quote
i use ascorbic crystals and they are not 100% dissolving in water. Can i use boiled hot water to dissolve the crystals better? Or will this oxydise?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:54 am      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
i use ascorbic crystals and they are not 100% dissolving in water. Can i use boiled hot water to dissolve the crystals better? Or will this oxydise?

No BCgirl, Try very warm water and stir a lot! Boiling water will kill the goodies in your C. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:28 am      Reply with quote
thanks darkmoon.
Also does anyone find white streaks when the Vitamin C dries up on the skin?
How long should I wait for it tp settle in before I apply my daily makeup?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:54 am      Reply with quote
I made a small batch of the serum with jojoba a couple of months ago (it lasted about a month) and although I loved it, I had a half used bottle of C serum that I had purchased and wanted to use up first. Well, I only used the manufactured serum for a couple of weeks before deciding to demote it to body use since my DIY serum works for me so much better.

BCGirl ~ I don't have any kind of streaking after applying the serum... I usually wait 20-30 minutes before applying my moisturizer on top of the serum.

5% products discount

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
I am 23, am I too young to use this serium?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
vasilenka wrote:
I am 23, am I too young to use this serium?

I don't think that 23 is too young to use a Vitamin C serum (or other antioxidant). It'll help to keep your skin in good shape as you go forward. It also brightens your skin and helps to lighten any red spots or pigmentation you may have.
beestherbub

Fri May 20, 2011 8:38 am      Reply with quote
22% VIT C SERUM (L-AA + THDA)

i tried this last night and messed it up big time! i am new to this stuff and i clearly did something wrong.

i mixed the second glass alchol phase(ferulic acid and solvent and plysorbate 80) and third (oil phase - with skb, vit e, ala) (together and it appeared to blend just fine, when i added the water phase, glass one to the other - absolutely wouldn't blend - its sitting in my fridge - a watery, slightly lumpy mess with a big lump of the oil phase at the bottom. i could almost pull the lump out and use it in something else. I used the following substitutions:

for emulsifier i used polysorbate 80

i used SKB and mixed tocopherol vitamin e for oil phase

for Ferulic acid solvent i used propylene glycol

i thought i added the water phase slowly and mixed but maybe not slow enough , should i have added drop by drop and used a hand mixer? i can see lots of bits from the oil phase suspended in the water like teeny oil bubbles in water - i thought the emulsifier was supposed to cause the oil and water to mix together

i tried using a little anyway - took a little of the clump and smeared it on my face and it was too strong to use - made my face sting - it definitely needs to be diluted in the water.
other possibility is i measured wrong with the ingredients - it was percentage and i converted to gram and used my little scale - but perhaps shouldn't have been by weight as the ingredients might be different density in comparison to their dry or wet measure
any thoughts appreciated!
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2011 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
I'm looking at the jojoba recipe, and i was wondering which vitamin e oil I should get from lotioncrafters? they have a blend of vit e and they have vit e acetate. Should I go with the latter?
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |