Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Have you heard of the Wonderbar? Supposedly helps melasma
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
livvyn wrote:
hi,
i have been following the thread and using the wonderbar for 7 weeks now. i love it and i think it's a shame that the people on here who are trying to say it's a big marketing scheme have never even tried it.

People are simply pointing out the fact that wonderbar is making up a theory with absolutely no biological basis to try to explain the side effects of the soap. That is considered, at least in my book, a big marketing scheme. BTW, wonderbar is not the first or the last company to do so... sadly inaccurate marketing claims are quite common in the cosmetic industry.

And since a lot of people know some biology, they don't need to try a bar of soap to know that the explanation behind its side effects is sound or not.

That does not mean, however, that the bar might not work for XYZ problem.

livvyn wrote:
Most people actually want to know if it works and don't care about all the conspiracy theories and silliness that has taken over this thread!

Actually, I would hope that people would care A LOT about whether a company is honest or not and whether a company is accurate on its claims or not. And I'll tell you why: most cosmetic products do not undergo FDA testing and inspection. So for example (and this is based on a true story btw), I can claim that my "natural" cream XYZ has all-natural ingredients and it's great for inflammation. So people start trying it and all say "oh my God, it's so great for inflammation... I had dermatitis and it cured it in 24 hours, this is amazing, etc, etc.). Now upon inspection, it is found that the cream actually has cortisone, and not only has cortisone, but it also has it in a way higher amount than allowed. Well... no wonder people were saying that it was great for inflammation, but 2 months later people suffered the consequences of using a high-cortisone cream for that long.

Another example: a "bleaching" cream, made with nice and mysterious ingredients. People saying "oh it works great, my sunspots/melasma are gone, I can't believe it!". Well... the cream contained 10% hydroquinone, which is more than recommended. Also, since HQ is an irritant and in high concentrations causes more side effects, the companies were claiming that the side effects were just "the cream cleaning up your spots" Rolling Eyes

So I believe it is VERY important (esp. for cosmetics) for a company to be 100% accurate and if you catch a company being inaccurate... how do you know it's also not being inaccurate on other issues? How do you know that the ingredients mentioned are correct?

So far, the wonderbar has claimed a story with no biological basis for its side effects, and has claimed a pH that does not seem to match the pH independent people are measuring. Personally, I'm not impressed.

Again, that does not mean it might not work.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 1:54 am      Reply with quote
There is a "ColoradoLady" on SkinCareTalk, and the majority of her 20+ posts are all raving about Wonderbar with links to the site. Apologies if you're not the same person, livvyn, just saying..

Raving about a product is hardly a crime but when nearly every post is littered with links, and constantly about the same product, it does look a bit spammy, and doesn't do the company any favours.

My main problem with the Wonderbar is the crazy price. I might try the "cheaper" version with the similar ingredients, though.

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
MyBestFriend
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 10:36 am      Reply with quote
I've been using the WB for over 13 weeks now and still love it. I'm not alone as there are 1,817 fans of WB on Facebook and 9,010 followers on Twitter. It must be helping at least some of those people or they wouldn't bother. I prefer not to over-analyze something that obviously works for me.

Stopped using Lumixyl cause it doesn't work. Using Wonderbar since 2/18/10 cause it does work!!!
MyBestFriend
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 11:28 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
After all, I do have a Wonderbar sitting right here just waiting to be used again. We already know that I did not use it for the full 6 weeks because I had new brown spots show up and was experiencing extensive dehydration that scared the heck out of me.

I also experienced extreme dryness and was concerned when that happened. But, with continued use of the WB, that dry skin came off and left soft, even-toned skin behind. The key is to continue to use it.
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Isnt the wonderbar sold through multi level marketing? Im very skeptical about mlm companies because they're using their existing consumers to sell their product and they're earning from it as well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 11:36 am      Reply with quote
livvyn wrote:
Can you give me your opinion on Retin-A and why there are reports surfacing now that say that it does not product collagen like previously thought and that is actually thins the skin.

livvyn, can you tell me where you have read that? I am using Retin A and am very interested in anything new that has come out about it.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 11:40 am      Reply with quote
faeriedust wrote:
Isnt the wonderbar sold through multi level marketing? Im very skeptical about mlm companies because they're using their existing consumers to sell their product and they're earning from it as well.

All of the other Asian algae bars (including Eumora produced by the same manufacturer) are sold through MLM. And the Eumora blog contains much of the same info as the WB blog. But per the owner, the Wonderbar has not gone that route yet.

I did post some MLM info about Eumora earlier on the thread...It was quite entertaining, and I quoted a section where they said they could even teach your dog how to sell it and just rake in the bucks, lol. The key takeaway for me there was that you (nor your dog) need to know anything about skin in order to sell it.

But again...that doesn't mean that it won't work for some people!

I think this is probably a great offering for people who:
- have oily, thicker skin
- have acne
- want an ultra simple routine

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Yup Im from Asia and some people have mentioned the eumora bar and they say it doesnt work for them. The mlm people can be really persistent and hard selling. If the product is good, it speaks for itself.
I'll probably try the bar if people had before and after photos and the price is less insane!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
faeriedust wrote:
Yup Im from Asia and some people have mentioned the eumora bar and they say it doesnt work for them. The mlm people can be really persistent and hard selling. If the product is good, it speaks for itself.
I'll probably try the bar if people had before and after photos and the price is less insane!

Agreed...we see that a lot in the US with MLM products like Mona Vie, some other acai juice product, etc. People post positive reviews everywhere, they keep pushing and pushing to get you to buy it, and then you later find out that THEY are selling it themselves (just because of their own FANTASTIC results). But you don't see any of them selling it at cost, do you? Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
I must be the exception here because I have dry skin, thin skin, and only get acne "at that time of the month" or the occasional blackheads on the chin (which sometimes turn out to be those pesky chin hairs instead). I was concerned because I thought it would dry my face out but hasn't. As for stopping other anti-aging products, I haven't. I've been using serums and eye creams, etc.

P.S. For the record I have never been contacted by Wonderbar to sell or promote.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
WhiteWolf wrote:
I must be the exception here because I have dry skin, thin skin, and only get acne "at that time of the month" or the occasional blackheads on the chin (which sometimes turn out to be those pesky chin hairs instead). I was concerned because I thought it would dry my face out but hasn't. As for stopping other anti-aging products, I haven't. I've been using serums and eye creams, etc.

P.S. For the record I have never been contacted by Wonderbar to sell or promote.

WW, you did stop as recommended during the first 6 weeks though, right?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany, I've been using on occasion DDF's new Restoring Night Serum and their Advanced Moisture Defense UV Cream (giving the whole Turmeric thing a try). This was during the last few weeks and just realized I'm reaching week 6. I've also been using makeup too and trying Hissyfit's Saving Face (which I'll write a review for sometime).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
WhiteWolf wrote:
Bethany, I've been using on occasion DDF's new Restoring Night Serum and their Advanced Moisture Defense UV Cream (giving the whole Turmeric thing a try). This was during the last few weeks and just realized I'm reaching week 6. I've also been using makeup too and trying Hissyfit's Saving Face (which I'll write a review for sometime).

I don't think you had much of a healing crisis anyway, so it probably didn't matter that you wait the recommended 6 weeks.

The tumeric thing sounds interesting...I think DDF is the first to come out with a whole tumeric based line. I wonder if that was a Dr. Sobel push, or a P&G push?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, update, very soon really, I've used the bar (in my case the Eumora) since Friday evening, twice a day.
The eczema on my hands: The really bad raw cuts have closed yet on my left hand where only half of it was affected now it has extended somewhat though in low degree.
On my face: No pimples, skin slightly dry (as if the skin was a film), lighter color,... I feel though as if the skin is a film that is going to come off, can't quite explain in words the feeling and look of it.
Again, I'm trying out the Eumora, not the Wonderbar.
In any case, about "healing crisis", I DO believe in them without any scientific explanation. I started using Piabeli products and went through a healing crisis with dry skin, pimples,... dropped it after two weeks... I then got in contact with a woman using this line who told me to hang on, which I did, and I'm pleased with the results. So this healing crisis question for me doesn't actually sound mysterious at all, although I agree doesn't seem to have any scientific explanation.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
Please, do not get me wrong but one of the first things I learnt from my mother (doctor) is that if it was itchy it was a good sign (it was curing), more if it actually caused a scab and itchy... it was good healthy skin underneath!
ETA: Not good if it is only itchy on a healthy skin! The itchiness is related to skin curing (burns, cuts, etc). My eczema itches too... and I can't work it out, I have healthy skin and suddenly out of the blue it has eczema...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:
Please, do not get me wrong but one of the first things I learnt from my mother (doctor) is that if it was itchy it was a good sign (it was curing), more if it actually caused a scab and itchy... it was good healthy skin underneath!

I know my mother always said the very same thing (daughter of a doctor) but I think somehow a cut that draws blood and the irritation that some have experienced may not be quite the same? I know that some had pimple like breakouts and they are people that never break out, that was a decision maker for me and really the expense is an issue for many, myself included. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:
ETA: Not good if it is only itchy on a healthy skin! The itchiness is related to skin curing (burns, cuts, etc). My eczema itches too... and I can't work it out, I have healthy skin and suddenly out of the blue it has eczema...

Yeah as you said...if there's no wound, cut, burn, etc... itching is no good Sad
The interesting thing is that no one exactly knows why wound healing itches! There are 2 reasons often mentioned: that there is a release of histamine during the inflammation and repair process that causes the itching, and and that the scab formation plus the healthy skin underneath have a friction and pull that causes the itching.

Also nowadays we do things to actually avoid scabbing (e.g. keeping wound moist) because scabbing impedes healing and is involved in scar formation.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I guess my eczema is due to the release of Histamine Crying or Very sad. And I always try to keep my hands moist but to no avail. I'm hoping to find a solution.
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
livvyn wrote:
Can you give me your opinion on Retin-A and why there are reports surfacing now that say that it does not product collagen like previously thought and that is actually thins the skin.

livvyn, can you tell me where you have read that? I am using Retin A and am very interested in anything new that has come out about it.

I want to know this too. Please share!
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 5:27 am      Reply with quote
While I still really like the WB, I'm always on the lookout for a cheaper product - that's my MO for everything. I ran across this site:
http://www.torfspa.com/products.html, that has moor mud products, including a soap for $7.95. I didn't buy the soap but I did purchase the face and body mask to try. I've used it several times and love it. It makes my skin so soft and smooth and even smooths out the wrinkles temporarily. I think when I use up the WB I have, I'll try their soap. Here's what another site has to say about the Torf Moor Mud:

Quote:
What is Moor Mud or Peat Mud therapy?

Moor Mud is a therapy quality peat - an organic substance, product of natural decomposition of multitudes of plants under special conditions. Torf Moor Mud contains virtually no clay (less than 3%) and consists of organic residue of herbs, flowers and grasses. Over a period of thousands of years this residue was transformed into a fine paste that easily dissolves in water. It has an unusual concentration of bio-minerals, trace elements, vitamins, amino acids, plant hormones and fatty acids in a molecular form that is easy for the human skin to absorb. Think of it as a plant extract not from just one plant, but hundreds that reflects the environment of earth 10,000 years ago, without present day pollution. Its uncanny ability to heal, nourish and detoxify has been observed by people for millennia and used scientifically in European Spas for well over a century. It is used not only to beautify, but also to cure a multitude of ailments from mobility problems, arthritis and hormonal imbalance to post surgery recovery and muscle recovery in sports medicine. Its actions are thermo-physical, bio-chemical, anti-aging, anti-inflammatory, and natural antibiotics. Because peat has chelatic properties (it binds metal isotopes) it is a very strong natural detoxifier.

Why Use Mud to Detoxify?

Our bodies are being constantly attacked by toxins in our environment. Due to overwhelming exposure, prolonged stress or a weakened health state, much of the toxins do not metabolize properly, but are being stored in the body. Hot baths or saunas is one of the ways to Detox more gradually. Adding Moor Mud to the bath intensifies this process. It promotes sweating that metabolizes the toxins. It contains a high amount of humic acids which are chelats. Chelats bind with heavy metals and other toxins and help to remove them away from body tissues. Unlike other mud therapy, Torf Moor is 97% organic and contains virtually no aluminum oxide. Moor Mud is one of the most popular procedures in European health spas. For 200 years it has been used to cleanse the body of toxins, relieve pains, in rehabilitation after surgery, to treat gout or to treat skin problems. This is due to the great benefits of immersion bath in therapy and moor mud’s ability to interact with the human body to deliver nutrients and anti-infalmmatory elements, improve the immune system, increase circulation and metabolism and to rejuvenate body tissues.

Torf Moor Mud is supplied in a non-altered natural state, enriched with highly beneficial mineral spring water and salts of the Karlovy Vary Spa region. Torf Moor Mud has never been processed, chemically or thermally, to preserve all of it’s benefits as recommended by European therapy practice.

And here's another site selling a moor mask with before and afters (the lighting looks different to me but I think there's still an improvement):

http://moormask.com/photos.html
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

The tumeric thing sounds interesting...I think DDF is the first to come out with a whole tumeric based line. I wonder if that was a Dr. Sobel push, or a P&G push?

I don't know, but I just got my DDF night serum today and will be starting it tonight!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie, I hope you do a review if you use that soap!!
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
I have finished up 2 weeks of using the Wonderbar and can say that I've had fantastic results from it.(thanks skippie )

My skin seems to be purging a bit right now, but it is something I can live with. Blemishes come and go in a day or two, they are small or only a pindot of a blackhead that comes to the surface. This type of reaction is 200% better than what I went through with the 302 products. My skin did not like that line at all.

I had some redness and flakiness on my face during the first week. My chest held on to the redness for longer - almost 2 wks. My neck also showed some redness in horizontal wrinkles and that also lasted less than a week.

I had severe dehydration going on with my neck. I'd never seen such looseness or winkles before - I looked like I aged 20 years. The looseness, dry skin has gone away at this point, but it took almost 2 wks for that.

My chest added to that aged look as well with a general redness all over plus red slotches scattered here and there. A few blemishes popped up as well in addition to a sandpaper feel. The general redness has disappeared but I still have some splotches as well as a softened roughness. Thankfully the sandpaper feel has softened up as it looked as rough as it felt. I expect my chest to take the longest to go through a healing crisis as it was the most damaged from the sun. It would be a bonus if the sensitivity it suffers from would be lessened from this bar, so I will be watching for that.

While I can say that I'm happy with my results, I can also tell you that I've had several compliments on my skin from my DH (that's a big one) and some friends that my skin is looking fantastic! This bar as a lot to do with that, but it may not be the only thing since I do have several other products and gadgets in my arsenal. I have stopped using my topicals for the most part these first 2 weeks (spot treated here and there w/ CPs, though).

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Will do, Riley.

foxe, I'm glad to hear that you're making it through the healing crisis and are liking what you're seeing. The worst of my healing crisis was where I had the most sun damage, too. I still don't understand that but I was happy with the results because the back of my neck looks better than it has with anything else I've tried. It's far from perfect but I'll take even minor improvement at this point.
mom2eloise
5% products discount

Mon May 24, 2010 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
Back when this thread started I found the wonderbar posts interesting and found a website where they were doing a free giveaway. I was lucky enough to win the hotel sized bar and have been using it for slightly over 2 weeks. I did take 2 pictures the day I started just so I could compare for myself whether I could see any difference. I just turned 53, have annoying sun spots/melasma or whatever it is plus I get hyperpigmentation with every zit I get. Yep, at 53yo I still get them, usually during my "will they never end" monthly periods and also I tend to get cystic acne from anything and everything, from makeup, sunscreens, lotions, practically every age defying product, etc.

So, during these 2 weeks of wonderbar use I have had some blemishes pop up, some never came to any kind of a head and went away on their own (don't know how that counts as clearing pores), some I helped along by manual extraction. Have had a softball sized itchy, red area on my neck/collarbone area that darn near drove me crazy with the itchiness. I did stop using the WB for a day or two (on that spot)and then used briefly there (a minute) until the patch healed. I got scared because I pigment so easily and I didn't want a huge brown area there for 6-9mos like I've experienced in the past when my skin got damaged. The red spot actually occurred toward the end of the first week and you can barely see any brown area so I'm very relieved at that.

Overall, my pores do look smaller, sunspots/melasma areas might be a bit lighter, not sure yet and it's still early. I have been able to use the bar under my eyes and over the brow area but am avoiding the actual eyelids. I use it on the neck and all the way down the chest area since that's the area that has received tanning in my youth. I have been using the recommended cream moisturizer (cetaphil) just around my eyes and at the corners of my mouth and this week around the nose creases since I'm battling a cold and blowing my nose alot.

If there is a significant difference at the end of this wonderbar I may just get gutsy and post those pictures. They are pretty hideous and I took them myself so I'm sure the lighting and distance aren't going to be similar enough for a great comparison.

In addition to being 53yo with problematic skin, I have a light med/med. skin tone, dark eyes and hair (mostly white roots if i don't color it), mediterranean type coloring I guess. Though I lived in the upper midwest until age 30, I used to bake myself in the sun, sometimes 8hrs straight, to get a really dark tan early in spring, during my crazy teen years. Was always darker than someone that went to Hawaii or some exotic beach vacation for spring break. I rarely every burned but boy was I stupid. Mothers know best. Have lived in the sunny So.CA area since 30 but use sunscreen since those dark spots started cropping up a few years ago.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |