Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
How to naturally lighten skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
donaldjerry

Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
I had warm beige skin, but I lived in hot climate for a while and didn't protect my skin from the sun well. It's more of a caramel now. I would like to get my skin back to its original color because there is no way I'm getting all new makeup and stuff. Plus, my culture values a lighter complexion (please don't take offense to that)

what some great ways to lighten skin naturally?

Any product suggestions that you have tried and have worked?

Thanks.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:54 am      Reply with quote
First of all, protect your skin from the sun and computer screens. They ray is terrible oxidant for your skin.
I also live in hot and damp area these days. And recently I'm using aloe gel. Originally, I'm planning to use the aloe gel mask to reduce my acne problem. Although this did not help much about the acne, the mask did help lighten up my skin. It works gradually so I didn't notice it myself. However, some friend who I haven't seen for a week or so acclaimed that my skin became apparently whiter. So I guess it must be the aloe gel and it's surely a natural way.
The good thing about the gel is that, even if it does not help lighten up your skin, it can also help to moisturize and cool down sensible skin. Few people are allergic to this natural product. So it can almost never be harmful.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:06 am      Reply with quote
To be honest with you, Retin A will lighten your skin over time. It is not a quick fix, but in the long term it will improve your skin tone as it lightens it.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:00 am      Reply with quote
Hate to disappoint you but in general, natural products produce only minimal results. Additionally, the products out there are generally intended to ddress hyperpigmentation (darker spots on face) not lighten your entire face. You didn't mention sunspots or hyperpigmentation so it sounds like what you are wanting is to get rid of your tan. The only natural way I know of to do that is to use sunscreen and minimize time in the sun while waiting for your body to naturally slough the tan off. You could try exfoliating to speed the process.

Not sure what you consider 'natural' but lemon peel bioferment, kojic acid, tretinoin (Retin A), vitamin C will help but it will primarily reduce hyperpigmentation, your entire face won't lighten significantly. While all of those are derived from naturally occuring elements, there is alot of processing and/or aritificial manufacturing to produce some of them so you may not consider them natural. If you are looking for a natural, majic bullet as simple as rubbing lemons on your face, you aren't going to find it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Besides the Tretinoin, you can try hydroquinone. It isn't natural but then neither is Kojic Acid which then gets converted to hydroquinone. I have used hydroquinone and it is the only thing that really works.

One more thing. I noticed that when I bleached my peach fuzz hairs with a product like Jolen, the skin became lighter. It might be pretty expensive and tedious but you could try putting hair bleach over a large area of skin. At least it the results are immediate unlike hydroquinone.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:38 am      Reply with quote
From wikipedia:

Kojic acid is a chelation agent produced by several species of fungi, especially Aspergillus oryzae, which has the Japanese common name koji.[1] Kojic acid is a by-product in the fermentation process of malting rice, for use in the manufacturing of sake, the Japanese rice wine. It is a mild inhibitor of the formation of pigment in plant and animal tissues, and is used in food and cosmetics to preserve or change colors of substances.[2] It is used on cut fruits to prevent oxidative browning, in seafood to preserve pink and red colors, and in cosmetics to lighten skin. Kojic acid also has antibacterial and antifungal properties.

As for hydroquinone, that is probably the most effective product on the market but it is not natural and has not been ruled out as a carcinogen, which is why I didn't recommend it. Personally, I accept the risk and use it myself but it is generally not a product anyone wanting 'natural' products would consider using.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:55 am      Reply with quote
i use kojic acid and lactic acid 88%. i make my own skin lightner lotion that i use on BODY only. my face is naturally lighter so i dont use this combo on my face. you do peel in the beginning but after that its flawless smooth lighter skin

SPF is highly needed
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:07 am      Reply with quote
What about Tranexemic Acid? I seen many asian brands with this ingredient to whiten the skin. Smile
ammoniasmith
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hydroquinone is a naturally occurring element from "defensive glands of bombardier beetles."

Kojic Acid isn't safer just because you obtain it from plant products. Both are tyrosinase inhibitors and unstable when exposed to air. I think there just isn't as much information about Kojic Acid as there is for Hydroquinone.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
its_kristy wrote:
From wikipedia:

Kojic acid is a chelation agent produced by several species of fungi, especially Aspergillus oryzae, which has the Japanese common name koji.[1] Kojic acid is a by-product in the fermentation process of malting rice, for use in the manufacturing of sake, the Japanese rice wine. It is a mild inhibitor of the formation of pigment in plant and animal tissues, and is used in food and cosmetics to preserve or change colors of substances.[2] It is used on cut fruits to prevent oxidative browning, in seafood to preserve pink and red colors, and in cosmetics to lighten skin. Kojic acid also has antibacterial and antifungal properties.

As for hydroquinone, that is probably the most effective product on the market but it is not natural and has not been ruled out as a carcinogen, which is why I didn't recommend it. Personally, I accept the risk and use it myself but it is generally not a product anyone wanting 'natural' products would consider using.

Good info:)
I was actually looking to know bit more about this ingredient.
I have a mask with that and licorice in it,
but I doubt the % is even high as it does not burn my skin at all.
mikamika
5% products discount

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:38 am      Reply with quote
All natural?

I've heard that lemon juice applied topically helps. The same with Apple Cider Vinegar.

And then there are age old remedies like pearl powder.

I think they do work to a certain extent but you can't expect to see a great improvement with natural methods...
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
Lemon juice will work...and use sunscreen.

There was a fella on here who applied lemon juice to his face every night and it kept his skin light. He said he knew it was the lemon because the rest of his body was tan.

I rubbed a slice of lemon on my wrist (where a watch band would cover) for 5 nights and it lightened my skin in just those few days. I couldn't use it on my face though because the cold stickiness of the juice, plus the sting, drove me nuts!
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
I would be afraid to apply lemon juice directly to the skin - too acidic and drying!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:23 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
I would be afraid to apply lemon juice directly to the skin - too acidic and drying!

You could probably try pineapple too,or orange, apples maybe when they are fresh.

But anything like that I tried before, like lemon years ago I could not tolerate more than 1 o 2 minutes.

I even just tried to do a Kinerase peel at home and you are supposed to leave that on and I did not last 5 minutes with this item.

I think with acidic stuff it can work, but you need to work up to using something stronger slowly.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:06 am      Reply with quote
I guess I should have said "I would never apply" lemon juice instead of "I would be afraid".
Under no circumstances would I put this on my face directly.

5% products discount

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
"i use kojic acid and lactic acid 88%. i make my own skin lightner lotion that i use on BODY only. my face is naturally lighter so i dont use this combo on my face. you do peel in the beginning but after that its flawless smooth lighter skin "

tasha, what do you put in your skin lightner lotion?
smookedtrout

Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:04 am      Reply with quote
Not all of us are blessed with glowing complexion. Constant exposure to sun will cause the skin to darken and appear weather-beaten. Here are a few home remedies to lighten skin tone and bring the glow back on your skin. Wash face with cool water and run an ice cube over the face. Mix a teaspoon of sugar with a few drops of lemon juice and apply to face. Rub it on gently. Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash it off with Luke warm water. Mix a teaspoon of oatmeal powder, a pinch of turmeric and a few drops of lemon to make a thick paste. Apply to face and leave it to dry. Wash off mask with water. These remedies can be followed daily. A good weekly ritual to get an instant glow and lighten skin tone is to mash ripe bananas and smear it on the face. Wash it off after 3-4 minutes, a face pack made of fullers' earth, mashed ripe papaya and cucumber juice when applied to the face and throat will help tighten skin and lighten it in the process, Apply slices of raw potato to the face. Let the juice sit for 10 minutes, then wash off with cool water. Apply milk or natural yoghurt to the face with a cloth. Leave on for 5-15 minutes or until dry. Drink at least a litre and a half of water, especially in the heat.

5% products discount

Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:10 am      Reply with quote
Lemon juice works for me. I mean drinking, not applying directly on face.
shameen

Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:01 am      Reply with quote
[quote="tasha92337"]i use kojic acid and lactic acid 88%. i make my own skin lightner lotion that i use on BODY only. my face is naturally lighter so i dont use this combo on my face. you do peel in the beginning but after that its flawless smooth lighter skin

SPF is highly needed

HI there could you please tell me where you get your products from to use thius lightner please and what is your complexion like, I have fair asian skin, do you think it would work on me? thanks x
tesshood12

Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Well I will suggest lemon. it works wonderfully. just take the juice from it and apply it with a cotton pad, soak the pad in cotton and apply it on your face and leave it on for 30 minutes, keep doing this for a couple of days and you will see the difference.Clean your face before you do put the lemon on.Don't worry as it may tingle a little.
ilusa26
5% products discount

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:21 am      Reply with quote
"i use kojic acid and lactic acid 88%. i make my own skin lightner lotion that i use on BODY only. my face is naturally lighter so i dont use this combo on my face. you do peel in the beginning but after that its flawless smooth lighter skin "

tasha, what do you put in your skin lightner lotion?
ballerinna
5% products discount

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
Try applying lemon either overnight or if that seems too much, then for 10-20 minutes every day before night time. It will lighten your skin quickly, but remember to use sunscreen during the day.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
I have read somewhere that taking MSM on a regular basis lightens the skin!
evescafe
5% products discount

Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:07 am      Reply with quote
I use yogurt it works good for me...

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
MR001 wrote:
First of all, protect your skin from the sun and computer screens. They ray is terrible oxidant for your skin.
I also live in hot and damp area these days. And recently I'm using aloe gel. Originally, I'm planning to use the aloe gel mask to reduce my acne problem. Although this did not help much about the acne, the mask did help lighten up my skin. It works gradually so I didn't notice it myself. However, some friend who I haven't seen for a week or so acclaimed that my skin became apparently whiter. So I guess it must be the aloe gel and it's surely a natural way.
The good thing about the gel is that, even if it does not help lighten up your skin, it can also help to moisturize and cool down sensible skin. Few people are allergic to this natural product. So it can almost never be harmful.

MR,
computer screens emit rays that can darken skin?
please tell me this isn't true!!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:34 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |