Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Burnout Sunscreen Review (physical sunscreen) -RAVE
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Amarise
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
I'm still loving my Devita Ultra Solar 50, any spots on my face do not get darker, especially with the summer months we had.

But the Solar Body Block 30+ is still great too if you want a sunscreen without Titanium Dioxide. I must have received the new packaging a few months ago with the white tube. And I thought it was the older version.
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
LondonJamie wrote:

I can't speak for Burnout, becuase I haven't tried it. However, I picked up a new tube of Invisible Zinc's Face and Body spf 30 (18% zinc) and they have reformulated it. The newer version is much creamier and easier to apply. Definitely not as tacky as the previous version (but that wasn't that bad to begin with). It's also paraben free now. Its my staple.

Hey,

Do you have an ingredients list?
(I hope they started disclosing ingredients besides the % of zinc oxide and parabens!) and the price and size?

Do you, by any chance Very Happy, want to try burnout to tell me how it compares to the reformulated invisible zinc? Since invisible zinc and burnout have about the same % of zinc oxide, it would be great to have them compared.

Hey,

I think this is the updated ingredient's list:

Active ingredients
Zinc Oxide (18%)

Full ingredients
Water, Zinc Oxide, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cyclomethicone, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/8 Methicone, Phenyl trimethicone, Bis-PEG-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane, Isostearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Polyhydroxy Stearic Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate

I pay £25 for 150 ml.

Absolutely! I wouldn't mind trying out Burnout as I'm looking much more fresh faced with zinc sunscreens. I will have to find a stockist in London- hopefully they stock at Wholefoods.

I will also be trying out Invisible Zinc's tinted day cream spf 30.

One thing I am concerned about, and I hope you can help me here Nimue, is whether or not there are concerns with uncoated zinc? I read somwhere that it could be 'photoreactive'? TIA!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi LondonJamie,

Thank you for the ingredients list! I’m not too thrilled about those ingredients… One of the reasons why I love Burnout Kids is that it makes my skin very happy. It has healthy ingredients and antioxidants and it really does show. LondonJamie, no there are not any concerns with uncoated zinc. Especially since it’s micro sized (nano sized is smaller, but even then it’s safe).

1. There has been no evidence of zinc oxide penetrating the skin
2. Even if it did penetrate, it’s totally safe.

Zinc oxide is calming, healing, and anti bacterial so it’s good for acne. (I actually used a zinc ointment on my acne when I was a teenager at night before I even thought about sunscreen)

There *have* been studies of titanium dioxide issues. Somehow in the media the titanium dioxide studies get confused with physical sunscreen and people lump zinc oxide in there, it’s pretty ridiculous. There was one article (that I actually found through EDS) that talked about the dangers of “physical sunscreens including titanium dioxide and zinc oxide”. I tracked down the footnotes for that article and the actual source was this study where mice were injected with massive levels of titanium dioxide. The exact words used were “intravenous injection”. Can you imagine? I would have been surprised if those poor mice did not suffer any ill effects!

The problem is that when something’s said often enough people will start believing it and stating it as fact. There’ll be some article mentioning a scientific study as proof and not many people are going to have the patience and motivation (and resources) to actually investigate what happened in said study. Studies can also be poorly designed, statistically insignificant, influenced by someone with a vested interest in the outcome, flawed in some other way, etc. I personally don’t love titanium dioxide, but I don’t know what torturing mice by injecting them with it shows… But it certainly doesn’t say anything about the safety of zinc oxide! Hahahaha, I hope no one feels the need to torture more mice by injecting them with chemical sunscreens such as octinoxate, that would be truly something.

5% products discount

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
I have really dry skin since I went on accutane and i usually need a really good moisturizer before I put on sunscreen. But the problem is, the moisturizer makes the sunscreen sticky and just sit on my skin.

I really want a good sunscreen that doesn't do this. have any of you tried putting a moisturizer underneath this one? Id love your feedback.
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
LondonJamie, no there are not any concerns with uncoated zinc. Especially since it’s micro sized (nano sized is smaller, but even then it’s safe).

1. There has been no evidence of zinc oxide penetrating the skin
2. Even if it did penetrate, it’s totally safe.

Zinc oxide is calming, healing, and anti bacterial so it’s good for acne. (I actually used a zinc ointment on my acne when I was a teenager at night before I even thought about sunscreen)

There *have* been studies of titanium dioxide issues. Somehow in the media the titanium dioxide studies get confused with physical sunscreen and people lump zinc oxide in there, it’s pretty ridiculous. There was one article (that I actually found through EDS) that talked about the dangers of “physical sunscreens including titanium dioxide and zinc oxide”. I tracked down the footnotes for that article and the actual source was this study where mice were injected with massive levels of titanium dioxide. The exact words used were “intravenous injection”. Can you imagine? I would have been surprised if those poor mice did not suffer any ill effects!

The problem is that when something’s said often enough people will start believing it and stating it as fact. There’ll be some article mentioning a scientific study as proof and not many people are going to have the patience and motivation (and resources) to actually investigate what happened in said study. Studies can also be poorly designed, statistically insignificant, influenced by someone with a vested interest in the outcome, flawed in some other way, etc. I personally don’t love titanium dioxide, but I don’t know what torturing mice by injecting them with it shows… But it certainly doesn’t say anything about the safety of zinc oxide! Hahahaha, I hope no one feels the need to torture more mice by injecting them with chemical sunscreens such as octinoxate, that would be truly something.

Intravenous injection? Oh My! That sounds horrible, and as you said, I would be surprised if they didn't show any averse reactions. Why inject TD into the skin? In any trial shouldn't they have shaved the mouse, put a layer on the skin and expose the mouse to some UVA? Even that sounds cruel...

Thanks for the detaield explanation Very Happy I am happy there aren't concerns with micronized zinc; my skin is certainly loving it right now- especially the skin around my eyes!
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Tallisa wrote:
I have really dry skin since I went on accutane and i usually need a really good moisturizer before I put on sunscreen. But the problem is, the moisturizer makes the sunscreen sticky and just sit on my skin.

I really want a good sunscreen that doesn't do this. have any of you tried putting a moisturizer underneath this one? Id love your feedback.

Tallisa,

I have dry skin (and it used to be even dryer) but now in the morning I apply a zinc-heavy sunscreen and my skin is as happy as a lamb.

No cream or lotion has worked to heal my dry skin (from Liz Earle to Creme de la mer). What HAS worked is leaving my skin alone. It sounds boring but all these creams I have been using to try to rehydrate my skin just overloaded it.

That said, I have had success with both squalane and jojoba oil- these really have hydrated my skin. These oils work with the skin, rather than a cream that might bulldoze all over your skin's own natural oil production.

However, right now, I'm not using any moisturizer or oils, just my zinc SS.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
just stopped at whole foods to check this SS out but this branch doesn't carry it. Sad Very sad.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen Burnout SS at Wholefoods?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:

You know last time I was there I totally forgot to check for it, my closest Whole Foods is right across from a university and always a mad house! Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:55 am      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:

Intravenous injection? Oh My! That sounds horrible, and as you said, I would be surprised if they didn't show any averse reactions. Why inject TD into the skin? In any trial shouldn't they have shaved the mouse, put a layer on the skin and expose the mouse to some UVA? Even that sounds cruel...

Thanks for the detaield explanation Very Happy I am happy there aren't concerns with micronized zinc; my skin is certainly loving it right now- especially the skin around my eyes!

Hahaha, they didn't even inject it into the skin- it was *into the vein*.

The trial you're describing of shaving the mouse, applying titanium dioxide based sunscreen and exposing it to UV light sounds pretty reasonable to me! I bet this experiment was done (it had to have been) but it didn't have sensational results like the intravenous injection one.

I can see how this will go, especially if you change it to a zinc oxide sunscreen- shave the mouse, cover it with zinc oxide sunscreen, expose it to UV, and then! ...nothing will happen.

Well, if they're drowned in sunscreen I could see the mice ingesting some...

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:58 am      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:
Tallisa wrote:

Tallisa,

I have dry skin (and it used to be even dryer) but now in the morning I apply a zinc-heavy sunscreen and my skin is as happy as a lamb.

No cream or lotion has worked to heal my dry skin (from Liz Earle to Creme de la mer). What HAS worked is leaving my skin alone. It sounds boring but all these creams I have been using to try to rehydrate my skin just overloaded it.

That said, I have had success with both squalane and jojoba oil- these really have hydrated my skin. These oils work with the skin, rather than a cream that might bulldoze all over your skin's own natural oil production.

However, right now, I'm not using any moisturizer or oils, just my zinc SS.

I agree 100%.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Natalyn wrote:

You know last time I was there I totally forgot to check for it, my closest Whole Foods is right across from a university and always a mad house! Embarassed

The guy at wholefoods was trying to help me locate it, but i forgot to name of the SS. I told him it must have the word sun in it. LOL But if I had seen it, I'd have recognized it. I read through the labels several times, and I didn't see Burnout on the shelf for sure, but he said I could call the store and ask them to carry it. If other wholefoods has it, they could get it at this one, so I think i'll try that. It can't hurt.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I have been using the kids version, and I started back on my Colorscience Orb over this. It definitely takes the tacky feeling away. Much better with the Colorscience on top of it!

I finally tried the Orb ( didn't get my Burnout yet!) and indeed, it gives a very smooth application, goes like silk and takes the tackiness of the sunscreen away, but it doesn't look like it will last for a long time Embarassed How long does it last for you? And do u think one can get a burn wearing just Orb without any sunscreen?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
I have been using the kids version, and I started back on my Colorscience Orb over this. It definitely takes the tacky feeling away. Much better with the Colorscience on top of it!

I finally tried the Orb ( didn't get my Burnout yet!) and indeed, it gives a very smooth application, goes like silk and takes the tackiness of the sunscreen away, but it doesn't look like it will last for a long time Embarassed How long does it last for you? And do u think one can get a burn wearing just Orb without any sunscreen?

I cannot remember when I started the CS Orb, but I have the mini size one, and I still have product left. I have not had to purchase a new one yet! I use the little puff thing that came with the orb, so not sure if that makes any difference or not. I am not sure about getting a burn wearing just the Orb, RussianSunshine. Since I pigment so easily I just always wear a liquid sunscreen under it. However, I think it is Lucretia_Zen that is using just the Orb now, so you may want to check for her posts. It is an SPF 30, and I personally think it would be ok, but it really will depend on your own skin and how long you are in the sun, etc.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
Riley,

I know you had posted somewhere on the forum that you were using the Orb before summer arrived. I remember you saying you wanted to see how the protection was in our lovely Florida summers! That sample size has lasted you for a long, long time. Smile
I am using a full size for about 3 months now (also over a regular physical ss) and am loving it! I am sure it will last for quite a long time! Quite a good value for the money in my book. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Natalyn wrote:

Hi DarkMoon, I have the feeling we may be neighbors, are you talking about the wholefoods across from FAU? Do you know if the carry the kids version of Burnout..I'd love to try it, Do you happen to get the Orb SS locally. This combination seems to be exactly what I need here in hot humid Florida..My girlfriend and I run a few days a week and I want to do whatever I can to protect my skin from the sun..do you think this would be good for me..?

Thanks,Lou

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:32 pm      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Natalyn wrote:

The guy at wholefoods was trying to help me locate it, but i forgot to name of the SS. I told him it must have the word sun in it. LOL But if I had seen it, I'd have recognized it. I read through the labels several times, and I didn't see Burnout on the shelf for sure, but he said I could call the store and ask them to carry it. If other wholefoods has it, they could get it at this one, so I think i'll try that. It can't hurt.

From their website:

BurnOut Now Available at Whole Foods Markets
BurnOut suncare products are now available at Whole Foods Markets. Launching in select California stores. Ask the Whole Foods near you to get some today!

You may already have read this or may live in California, that's why you went searching for it.

BTW thanks for the idea next time I'm in Whole Foods I'm going to ask them about getting it in stock!

I'm still loving the ocean tested version!
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
You're welcome, SCJ. Very Happy My pleasure. I have not gone back to wholefoods. I think I can just call them and ask them to carry it or bring it from their store that has it to this particular store closer to me, so I don't have to drive to kingdom come.
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:01 am      Reply with quote
After reading all the reviews of burntout ss children version I finally thought I would try it. I don't live in the USA but I was here on business so I went and got it at wholefoods. I'm currently using Invisible zinc environmental factor for the face SS which has 20% zinc. I read Londonjamie also uses invisible zinc from Australia but the environmental one for the face is slightly better and so far the best I've ever tried, so it will b interesting for me to try the burntout as a comparsion. I wanted to try the devita SS but so far I haven't found a place that stocks it. Thanks for all the reviews it has introduced me to another new physical SS
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:49 am      Reply with quote
fongflyer5 wrote:
I wanted to try the devita SS but so far I haven't found a place that stocks it.

Try iherb.com for the devita ss. Their international shipping is reasonable, $4 for under 3 pounds weight. There is also a $5 off for first time orders. Hths! Smile
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:23 am      Reply with quote
Thanks circus, I'll just looked at there website but unfortunately they are currently our of stock of Devita, but atleast I now have a website I can buy from in future. Really appreciate your feedback.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, I finally got my Burnout sunscreens ( Clean & Clear and Kids). I tried Clean & Clear first and must say it is very light, no white cast, but not very moisturizing. Good for those who are afraid of looking like a grease ball Smile
Wasn't good for me since I don't use moisturizers, so I found it a bit drying.
I will try the Kids version tomorrow.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Hm, not impressed with the Kids version either. None of them is moisturizing enough for me, so I have to apply a moisturizer under these sunscreens. Second, none of them have these nice qualities of a primer Sad Oh, well, gonna go back to my Natural Instinct and use the Burnout on my body.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:43 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Hm, not impressed with the Kids version either. None of them is moisturizing enough for me, so I have to apply a moisturizer under these sunscreens. Second, none of them have these nice qualities of a primer Sad Oh, well, gonna go back to my Natural Instinct and use the Burnout on my body.

Hey,

Do you have the ingredients list for the Natural Instinct? How does natural instinct compare to burnout kids on other ways (white cast, thickness, spreadability, flakiness, etc)? Also, where do you purchase natural instinct?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Nimue,

Hi, I haven't tried Natural Instinct but here are the ingredients for the SPF 30.

Purified Water, Capryl/Caprylyl Triglyceride (vergetable/palm derivative), Cyclomethicone (natural mineral derived), Cetyl Alcohol (vegetable/palm derivative), Cetomacrogol (plant derived), Polymeric Alcohol hydroxy fatty ester (derived from cane alcolhol and palm oil), Dimethicone (natural mineral derived), Glyceryl Distearate (vegetable/palm derivative), Vitamin E, Carbomer, Germall Plus (preservative) Active ingredient: Zinc Oxide 150mg/g (derived from natural minerals)

Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |