Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Burnout Sunscreen Review (physical sunscreen) -RAVE
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Amarise
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
About a week ago I was at Whole Foods, and they had the Kid's version of the Burnout sunscreen. This was in Northern California. I tried a tester and it was fairly easy to spread along with being transparent. I noticed it wasn't as moisturizing for my tastes. It did seem like it was water-resistant so it would be great for being at the beach or near water for me.

I haven't purchased it yet since I have other sunscreen to use up and warm weather has been dying out.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:

Really? Wow. Which burnout was that?

Kids version. But I have no trouble applying Natural Instinct sunscreen on a tender skin.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:20 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine & rileygirl

Ok that's very interesting. I did have some problems (red itchy skin) doing the Kids, but thought I'd been hallucinating. It IS formulated for children's skin after all. Rolling Eyes

I don't have problems doing the Eco or the Ocean Tested. But they are tacky (it is hot and humid where I live) so I have not repurchased. Smile
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:22 am      Reply with quote
circus wrote:

Ok that's very interesting. I did have some problems (red itchy skin) doing the Kids, but thought I'd been hallucinating. It IS formulated for children's skin after all. Rolling Eyes

I don't have problems doing the Eco or the Ocean Tested. But they are tacky (it is hot and humid where I live) so I have not repurchased. Smile

Well, it is always good to know we aren't alone and crazy! Laughing

The Kids version contains: Plantago Lanceolata (Plantain) Leaf Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Plankton Extract.

I am not sure if the other formulas contain these ingredients or not, but one of these could be a culprit for those of us who have had issues with it?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:55 am      Reply with quote
All 3 versions have plankton extract, but it's only the kids version that has the papaya extracts and the plantain extracts. Maybe you're allergic to one of these?

Then the other versions would be better. Also, a couple of people are saying the kids version is not moisturizing enough and the ocean tested is a good one to try for those (or other sunscreens altogether).

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:03 am      Reply with quote
The papaya extract would contain papain which is an exfoliant! Extracts concentrate the essences of whatever they are made of, why on earth would that be in a kids sunscreen??? hmm

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
The papaya extract would contain papain which is an exfoliant! Extracts concentrate the essences of whatever they are made of, why on earth would that be in a kids sunscreen??? hmm

It's there as an antioxidant, and possibly a preservative.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

It's there as an antioxidant, and possibly a preservative.

It may have some antioxidant properties and it's certainly an exfoliant but as far as I know it doesn't act as a preservative at all. Still why only use it in the kids formula?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

It may have some antioxidant properties and it's certainly an exfoliant but as far as I know it doesn't act as a preservative at all. Still why only use it in the kids formula?

Then it's just an antioxidant. They have slightly different formulas. I'm not affiliated with burnout in any way so I can't say why exactly it's the kids formula that has this extract but it seems that they just have slightly different formulas. The eco sensitive one has citric acid and the ocean tested one has hemp seed oil.

They probably figure that people's skin will respond differently to different formulas. For me personally, my skin loves the kids formula best. Other people's skin may have different preferences. My sister loves the kids and the ocean tested versions equally.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue,

I am using the kids formula and am quite happy with it as a sunscreen! Smile I know you aren't affiliated, I just have a feeling the Papaya extract might be why it's irritating those with compromised skin?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
I finally ordered the kids' kind on Amazon, and I'm lukewarm on it. (Reminds me a bit of MyChelle's sunscreen.) It definitely seems like good sun protection, but I miss the non-tacky lotion-like feel of my Devita.

I think I'll repurchase Devita for winter but switch to Burnout for summer. Nimue, how long do you think it'll keep?

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:14 am      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
I finally ordered the kids' kind on Amazon, and I'm lukewarm on it. (Reminds me a bit of MyChelle's sunscreen.) It definitely seems like good sun protection, but I miss the non-tacky lotion-like feel of my Devita.

I think I'll repurchase Devita for winter but switch to Burnout for summer. Nimue, how long do you think it'll keep?

ginnielizz,

I am using the Colorescience Orb powder ss over the kids burnout and it completely rids the tacky feel for me, I am in hot humid South Florida and ss gets tacky! I like the extra protection and the Orb is like silk, acts like a primer for my MMU. That's just what is doing the trick for me. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:27 am      Reply with quote
I could see that working for me in a hotter climate, but a Seattle winter makes me think I can easily skip the tackiness if I so desire. Smile For summer, I'll probably layer this sheer Korean powder SS that my friend is buying me in Seoul -- but until the sunshine, I want less tack!

I've been cutting my Burnout with a little lotion-like primer (just cuz I have it) -- Korres silicone-free stuff that doesn't really do jack as a primer works nicely to thin it out a bit. I'm sure I don't get quite as much protection that way, but again, not a huge concern of mine these days, and it seems to do the trick.

I'd still love to know the shelf life though -- if it keeps, I'll probably abandon Burnout for more Devita until next June!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:38 am      Reply with quote
I can understand you are in a very different climate! Here the sun shines over 360 days out if the year, we get our scattered showers/thunderstorms but then out comes the sun! Smile
I wish I could answer about the shelf life once opened but I haven't a clue, sorry!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
The Kids version contains: Plantago Lanceolata (Plantain) Leaf Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Plankton Extract.

I am not sure if the other formulas contain these ingredients or not, but one of these could be a culprit for those of us who have had issues with it?

The Eco version didn't cause irritation like the Kids version did, but it's too drying for the "after-crazy-peel" skin.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

The Eco version didn't cause irritation like the Kids version did, but it's too drying for the "after-crazy-peel" skin.

Sorry to hear that RS, I hope it wasn't too difficult to remove?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:04 am      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
I could see that working for me in a hotter climate, but a Seattle winter makes me think I can easily skip the tackiness if I so desire. Smile For summer, I'll probably layer this sheer Korean powder SS that my friend is buying me in Seoul -- but until the sunshine, I want less tack!

I've been cutting my Burnout with a little lotion-like primer (just cuz I have it) -- Korres silicone-free stuff that doesn't really do jack as a primer works nicely to thin it out a bit. I'm sure I don't get quite as much protection that way, but again, not a huge concern of mine these days, and it seems to do the trick.

I'd still love to know the shelf life though -- if it keeps, I'll probably abandon Burnout for more Devita until next June!

I have no idea what the shelf life is. I think it’ll be fine in the fridge. I think *Devita* is actually the best thing ever for “thinning” a physical sunscreen. It also mixes well with pretty much everything (in the palm of your hand). It’s how I use up sunscreen I’m not crazy about, I just mix it with devita and use it on my body. But don’t you need burnout for the eye area, since devita stings around the eyes?

Compared to devita, burnout definitely is more tacky, but for summer that’s what makes me feel protected. I am also incorporating more devita now that summer’s over.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Hm, thanks Nimue! If I restock Devita I'll def use that to thin the Burnout. The fridge is such a good idea but I'm way too lazy to make a trip to another room for my skincare -- I actually looked into getting a mini-fridge ages ago but I never pulled the trigger. (At this point I'm waiting until we buy a house -- I could never find one small enough to fit with our bathroom cupboard combo but maybe it'll fit differently in our next home.)

I only experienced stinging intermittently with Devita, and as my eyes are very sensitive but unpredictable, I'm no stranger to random sometimes-stings-sometimes-not with everything... eye cream, mascara, hair spray, even the mist in the air that my toner produces. But maybe I'll use Burnout for eyes only or something -- we'll see. I'm liking it better thinned out than I did straight up, though I can tell it'll be good protection on its own come sunshiney weather.

Thanks all for weighing in!

RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

The peeling skin or the sunscreen? Smile
Yeah, the last peel I've done was a bit crazy, I didn't read the instructions properly Embarassed

Nimue, I wanted to say that even though the Burnout sunscreen wasn't anything special for me, I REALLY loved their Ocean Tested SPF 32 lip balm. It's is very moisturizing, no white cast at all, water-resistant, enriched with hemp seed oil. I'm very glad I ordered it!
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:57 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
circus wrote:

Well, it is always good to know we aren't alone and crazy! Laughing

Laughing Indeed it is good to know we aren't alone and crazy!

I think it is the papaya extract that caused the reaction for me. Like DarkMoon I am also not sure why it is in a kids' sunscreen. I really bought into the *kids* label, although I know I should have looked more carefully.

I tested the Kids on (my) normal skin. I think the high % of zinc helped buffer somewhat, so the reaction wasn't as immediate/pronounced. I just itched like mad. (It is NOT the same kind of itch that I get with zinc sunscreens that are too drying.) I suppose it would have burned if I had tested it on flared-up skin.

Hope that helps some for those trying to figure things out! Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:14 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

The peeling skin or the sunscreen? Smile
Yeah, the last peel I've done was a bit crazy, I didn't read the instructions properly Embarassed

LOL, Yes I was talking about the sunscreen! It sounds like your peel did enough removal of skin? Laughing

5% products discount

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
I received a sample size of this sunscreen with a skincare order this summer and immediately ordered a full size after testing it out. I've been using the Burnout Ocean Tested sunscreen for three months and I've recommended it to friends. I really like the fact that it doesn't leave a white cast, doesn't leave my face dry, and doesn't break me out. I like that it contains a high amount of zinc oxide, and no titanium dioxide, and is chemical-free (no oxybenzone). But I find it hard to spread. I don't like having to rub and pull on my face to make it sink in, and also this sunscreen makes my face "sweat." I think I will finish the tube I have, or at least use it throughout the winter, so I will know that it's not my sunscreen causing a reaction (if I have one) when I try other products, and maybe the face sweating won't be as much of an issue in the colder months. Also, I'd like to take a respite from searching for the perfect sunscreen. I'm glad I found BurnOut but I do think I'll be trying out different sunscreens again in the spring. I'm hoping that a retail store near me will carry BurnOut soon so that I can try the other versions. Although I think I need a moisturizing sunscreen, maybe the Kids or Clean and Clear formula will spread easier and be less "sweaty" for me.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:44 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

Nimue, I wanted to say that even though the Burnout sunscreen wasn't anything special for me, I REALLY loved their Ocean Tested SPF 32 lip balm. It's is very moisturizing, no white cast at all, water-resistant, enriched with hemp seed oil. I'm very glad I ordered it!

I'm glad you liked it! Unfortunately for me their lip balm is not rave worthy. Although I have to admit that it is the best high zinc oxide lip balm available, I want it to be creamier (less waxy) and with even less white cast. I think it would only be possible to not have any whiteness in a high zinc lip product if it was also tinted.

My fantasy lip balm is super creamy, has at least 15% zinc oxide, and is also tinted a natural looking mauve type color. Too bad it doesn't exist! Right now I use the burnout lip balm (or the sunscreen) and layer a lip product from 100% pure over it.

It's too bad it's unavailable now. For contrast, the lip product from purple prairie (currently unavailable) had the perfect texture but it had a worse white cast.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Haha I love Renata's remark about wanting to take a break from constantly SS-searching! I feel the same way -- and in fact, I think I'm going to go back to my trusty Devita and just use Burnout on my body. The more I use it the less I feel like it's right for me. Crying or Very sad

Over time I'm finding that it highlights my pores, flaky/dry skin (like healing acne spots) and any facial hair I have, and I agree that it's tricky to spread. Plus I just feel like I have more to remove at the end of the day, and I totally know what R means about the "sweat" feeling.

Even though I don't think Devita's protection is as good, I feel safe enough with that where I'm at... but Burnout will def be coming along on my trip to Brazil in February! Cool

I'm considering going back on Retin-A and if I do that, I know I'll have to resume the search for something more potent for protection... maybe Burnout + Devita will do the trick.

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Renata,

I was going to suggest (if you haven't already tried) dotting small amounts all over your face and waiting a minute or 2 so the ss warm on your skin and spreads more easily. It works for me to avoid pulling at my skin. Smile

Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |