Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Burnout Sunscreen Review (physical sunscreen) -RAVE
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Renata
5% products discount

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip, DarkMoon! I'll try that.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 10, 2011 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Anyone know where to buy this in Vancouver?
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 10, 2011 11:40 am      Reply with quote
I must add my praise for the Ocean-tested sunscreen to the discussion.

I've used this now for an entire year and have NO complaints:

It moisturizes my dry skin (or, doesn't try it out).
It does not leave a white cast, but settles into a matte finish.
It protects.
It doesn't break me out or irritate my skin.
The price is right.
It has all the right ingredients (all physical SS, mostly natural, even some skin-friendly goodies inside)

In short, this is my "HOLY GRAIL" sunscreen!
Thanks EDS members for turning me on to it!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
hazelwood160
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2011 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Nimue!

Do i need to reaply this sunscreen through out the day. I have melasma and acne. I recently switch to burnout sunscreen (clean & clear) thanks to this thread and your recommendation. So far i am liking this.This sure is protecting my skin from new pigmentation. I used sofina sunscreen for more than year thinking that that is physical based sunscreen and will be good for my melasma . But i was wrong i got three new spot on my face while i was using that everyday. I don't know why that happened sofina has 13.87% zinc with other fiter. Anyways i want to ask you i work 7am to 4pm indoor. And i have drive for 45 mins each direction do i need to reaply burnout sunscreen or morning application is good enough for whole day. thank you Smile
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2011 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
It sounds like you don't have to reapply. As long as you don't come in contact with water, sweat, rub your face, etc you don't need to reapply. On a typical day I do not reapply, it's good for the whole day. Just make sure you're applying enough (there was just discussion on that in the Devita thread).

hazelwood160 wrote:
Nimue!

Do i need to reaply this sunscreen through out the day. I have melasma and acne. I recently switch to burnout sunscreen (clean & clear) thanks to this thread and your recommendation. So far i am liking this.This sure is protecting my skin from new pigmentation. I used sofina sunscreen for more than year thinking that that is physical based sunscreen and will be good for my melasma . But i was wrong i got three new spot on my face while i was using that everyday. I don't know why that happened sofina has 13.87% zinc with other fiter. Anyways i want to ask you i work 7am to 4pm indoor. And i have drive for 45 mins each direction do i need to reaply burnout sunscreen or morning application is good enough for whole day. thank you Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2011 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
It sounds like you don't have to reapply. As long as you don't come in contact with water, sweat, rub your face, etc you don't need to reapply. On a typical day I do not reapply, it's good for the whole day. Just make sure you're applying enough (there was just discussion on that in the Devita thread).

hazelwood160 wrote:
Nimue!

Thank you! Have you ever used asian brand sunscreen if so how would you compare with burnout sunscreen.I am just curious because when i was using sofina sunscreen which is physical sunscreen with 13.87% zinc i got new pigmentation spots .
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2011 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:

It protects.
The price is right.
It has all the right ingredients (all physical SS, mostly natural, even some skin-friendly goodies inside)

--avalange

do you know what it'sl ike on oily/combo skin?
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2011 10:36 am      Reply with quote
I was at my son's soccer tournament this last 3-day weekend. I have had the same tube of Burnout Ocean for about six months and was worried it might be losing its efficacy, but one application in the morning worked perfectly. We were outdoors most of the day, and at one point it even rained (not fun) but the stuff is like an almost invisible and impenetrable mask.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2011 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
avalange wrote:

It protects.
The price is right.

--avalange

do you know what it'sl ike on oily/combo skin?

Hi Oasis,
I have somewhat oily skin and I do really like BurnOut Clean and Clear.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2011 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hermosa wrote:
I was at my son's soccer tournament this last 3-day weekend. I have had the same tube of Burnout Ocean for about six months and was worried it might be losing its efficacy, but one application in the morning worked perfectly. We were outdoors most of the day, and at one point it even rained (not fun) but the stuff is like an almost invisible and impenetrable mask.

Does that mean its hard to remove. What do you use to wash it off then?
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:38 am      Reply with quote
You know, I have to say that I'm not too sure about these physical sunscreens' abilities to block UVA's-- I have been using BurnOut & Devita in hopes of protecting the hyperpigmentation on my cheeks, and while these spots have not gotten darker, I can tell that I've gotten a bit darker overall. But then, I can tan at the drop of a hat and I've been out in the sun a lot recently. I've switched over my Shiseido SPF 60 Face & Body, which has 16.3% zinc oxide, 2.0% Ensulizole & 7.4% Octinoxate & feel better protected. I think for me, I'll be using the BurnOut & Devita on low sun exposure days.

40 yrs old; Tanaka massage 1x/ day; HF device; retin-a .05%; FE & Carolyn's Facial Fitness every other day; green smoothies; MSM 4000mg/day; NAC 1000mg/day; ALA; Ageless Secret/ Gold combo; FIM lamp; History of Whoo skincare; homemade niacinamide toner
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:46 am      Reply with quote
OH, dear.... Another lemming has been created. Very Happy The price point of Burnout is extremely appealing, will have to order all 3 formulas.

Not sure if any of these will match the elegance of Clarins new formula for facial sun protection, but it sounds like a better alternative for the rest of me over the Blue Lizard I've been using.

Thanks for the great and detailed reviews, all!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:21 am      Reply with quote
JLM wrote:
You know, I have to say that I'm not too sure about these physical sunscreens' abilities to block UVA's-- I have been using BurnOut & Devita in hopes of protecting the hyperpigmentation on my cheeks, and while these spots have not gotten darker, I can tell that I've gotten a bit darker overall. But then, I can tan at the drop of a hat and I've been out in the sun a lot recently. I've switched over my Shiseido SPF 60 Face & Body, which has 16.3% zinc oxide, 2.0% Ensulizole & 7.4% Octinoxate & feel better protected. I think for me, I'll be using the BurnOut & Devita on low sun exposure days.

Zinc oxide's ability to block UVA rays is quite good as it has a very long range of which UVA rays to protect. The only problem with it is that it can't block the ENTIRE range of UVA rays which may be the problem you're experiencing. There was a chart on here before that showed which active sunscreen ingredient blocked which spectrum of UVA and UVB rays.. I'll post it back here if I come across it.
WhiteWolf
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:35 am      Reply with quote
I'm game, ordering today! Smile The products I've been using have to be reapplied and I either forget or just lack the time. I do like Osmosis Shelter but I find it thick and my other fav Lavanila is $28 for less product.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
JLM wrote:

Zinc oxide's ability to block UVA rays is quite good as it has a very long range of which UVA rays to protect. The only problem with it is that it can't block the ENTIRE range of UVA rays which may be the problem you're experiencing. There was a chart on here before that showed which active sunscreen ingredient blocked which spectrum of UVA and UVB rays.. I'll post it back here if I come across it.

Ah, good point oasisjc! Don't worry, I saw the chart too. Well then, what to do? It seems that with chemical ss you run the risk of irritating your skin or perhaps putting something that might have an estrogenic effect on your body (as I heard with octinoxate, please correct me if I'm wrong); with physical ss, you end up with a bit of incomplete UVA coverage. Can't win. Confused

40 yrs old; Tanaka massage 1x/ day; HF device; retin-a .05%; FE & Carolyn's Facial Fitness every other day; green smoothies; MSM 4000mg/day; NAC 1000mg/day; ALA; Ageless Secret/ Gold combo; FIM lamp; History of Whoo skincare; homemade niacinamide toner
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Here we go, this is the chart I was talking about:

Credits to DarkMoon for uploading it first.

As you can see, no ingredient can completely block UVA rays. Tinosorb M is the best, but it is a chemical sunscreen so you might not like that. Nor is it approved by the FDA yet. But if you look at zinc oxide, it already does a pretty good job. Maybe you could reapply more often as sweating can reduce the SPF a bit.
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
iaimei wrote:

Does that mean its hard to remove. What do you use to wash it off then?

I wouldn't say it's particularly hard to remove. I layer it on pretty thickly, and to me it has a consistency similar to grease paint or pancake makeup.

I usually do a pretty thorough job of washing my face, and I have had no problem removing all traces at the end of the day. But you will need more than a moisturized wipe!
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
OH, dear.... Another lemming has been created. Very Happy The price point of Burnout is extremely appealing, will have to order all 3 formulas.

Not sure if any of these will match the elegance of Clarins new formula for facial sun protection, but it sounds like a better alternative for the rest of me over the Blue Lizard I've been using.

Thanks for the great and detailed reviews, all!

Oh yes, Burnout is much nicer than Blue Lizard. Blue Lizard gave me a very white cast. Burnout doesn't - I've used the Ocean one and the Eco-sensitive.
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm bit of a sunscreen junkie now. I've tried burntout both clean & clear & the kids version. Personally I didn't really notice much of a difference between them. I've also use Devita which is more moisturizing than burntout, for me it absords better, leaving no whitecast. I've also got the shiseido 16% zinc. It's a lot milky in texture, also absords into the skin quickly. I live in Australia which has one of the highest sun cancer rates in the world. To be honest, I can't honestly say one is better than the other. Except when the humidity is high and I begin to sweat, I do feel I need to reapply the sunscreen around midday to ensure I haven't wiped it off. I've become obsessed that I also apply Jane Iredale powder sunscreen & Peter Thomas Roth mineral sunblock over my face. Despite all this protection and not working outdoors my face does get slightly darker or picks up a tan in the summer!
hazelwood160
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
I have a question about using sunscreen at night.I have using burnout sunscreen clean and clear one and really loving it. I want to find out if it is ok for me to use sunscreen at night too. I have dermal melasma. If i use sunscreen at night am i causing any problem to the skin. I have using burnout sunscreen at night past 3 days after my glycolic acid moisture and my face look more brighter in morning which i am really loving it and concern about damage it could cause more damage than prevention. Is someone else use sunscreen at night? Can someone please share their thoughts?
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know the PPD on this sunscreen? Sorry if it was mentioned before, I just skipped to the end of the thread.

Being a purely physical sunscreen I'm guessing it's not all that high?

@hazelwood160, are you saying your using chemical sunscreen caused more hyperpigmentation???

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
It's really not necessary at all to use sunscreen at night. There are no UV rays at night, not even the ones reflecting off the moon (it's too weak and the atmosphere diffuses it before it can get to the surface of the earth). And I'm not sure if the following is true or not, but an esthetician once told me that you risk the possibility of rubbing sunscreen ingredients into the skin when sleeping at night.

I think it's your glycolic acid that's giving you a brighter complexion rather than your sunscreen.
hazelwood160
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
Kareberry* wrote:
Does anyone know the PPD on this sunscreen? Sorry if it was mentioned before, I just skipped to the end of the thread.

@hazelwood160, are you saying your using chemical sunscreen caused more hyperpigmentation???

Hi!

I think so because when i was using la roche posey 50+ i still got new pigmentation. Now i am only using burnout sunscreen.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
Kareberry* wrote:

I don't know the exact PPD, but if you look at the diagram I posted, zinc oxide has quite a high/broad UVA protection.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
It's really not necessary at all to use sunscreen at night. There are no UV rays at night, not even the ones reflecting off the moon (it's too weak and the atmosphere diffuses it before it can get to the surface of the earth). And I'm not sure if the following is true or not, but an esthetician once told me that you risk the possibility of rubbing sunscreen ingredients into the skin when sleeping at night.

"Some doctors recommend applying sun block the night before and again in the morning to build up a reservoir of sun protection in the skin."
-DeVita packaging

And you know, I'd almost be willing to do just that. I LOVE the way DeVita (with all those yummy ingredients) sinks in, and with my oily skin, that's saying something.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |