Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Burnout Sunscreen Review (physical sunscreen) -RAVE
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Cat_eyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone. I've used burnout for the last year. I've tried other zinc oxide sunscreens and they are pale in comparison!
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 10:24 am      Reply with quote
I want to chime in with a mini-review. My husband and I have been using Burnout sunscreen for the past couple of weeks (based on the wonderful reviews on EDS--thanks all!) and it is very good. It sinks in well without leaving a white cast and it protects well against the sun. We would definitely buy it again. Only problem is that it's not cheap. I'd rate it a 4.7 out of 5 stars.

HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
I have become a bit of a sunscreen junkie the last couple years and Burnout CC is one of the ones a like a lot because it doesn't feel too heavy on my skin and I don't tan when I'm out in the sun for long periods of time.

Here are some of the other sunscreens I've tired and what I thought of them.

Best feel on skin
1.Zo Oclipse sunscreen & primer- but at $65 a
ounce it is highway robbery.
2. Clarins day screen high protection- has only
TD no Zinc but really nice feel on skin
3.Devita- I like the feel but can only use on
days I won't be in the sun long. I still tan
very easily with this on.
4.Pratima- I like the feel but since I don't wear
makeup it seems like to get the correct dosage
(amount) I have too much color/tint on my face
but this might just be because I'm not used to
wearing foundation. I don't really like the
smell either but it has grow on me.
5.PCA skin weightless protection SPF 45- I love
the feel of this but it does have 9% zinc &
7.5% octinoxate. So that will be a knockout
for some people. Plus I did tan with this also
so not good for all day sun.

Ok choices

1. Nia 24- I like that it has niacin in it and it
feels ok on my face.
2.Blue lizard- ok but leaves my face shiny.
3.Goddess garden face or body SPF 30-I didn't see
much difference between the two they are both
some of my favorites for the body but not for
the face. They do have a Baby SPF 30 with 20%
zinc but the texture of it on the face is bad.

These were greasy and I couldn't even keep them for use on my body
1.Vanicream SPF60
2.Eco logical SPF30- wouldn't even come out of
the bottle and if it did it was like pure oil.
May have just been a bad bottle but don't want
to try it again.
3.Badger

Keep in mind I have oily skin and the last thing I am looking for is a moisturizing SS.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 27, 2012 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Great review Cookie!

I am using either the CC or Kids Burnout (I have Normal skin)

Living in South Florida, and I have stuck with Burnout for over a year and still love it!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 30, 2012 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi DM,

I like Burnout for the coverage, but I use the blue top one, and the finish is a bit sticky for me.
I got some Purple Prairie, too, but that one has been relegated to the non-face areas. It works but it is a white mess for me.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 30, 2012 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Alexya wrote:
Hi DM,

I like Burnout for the coverage, but I use the blue top one, and the finish is a bit sticky for me.
I got some Purple Prairie, too, but that one has been relegated to the non-face areas. It works but it is a white mess for me.

Hi Alexya,

I throw caution to the wind and use the Colorescience Orb over it and it gets rid of any tacky feeling. I just hold my breath! Laughing

I use MMU anyway? Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 1:58 am      Reply with quote
@Darkmoon
I just had to thank you for providing me with the link to this thread. I've been using Burnout kids sunscreen for a week now and can say that I really love it. TY Very Happy

Just had to let you know Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 31, 2012 6:53 am      Reply with quote
dionie wrote:
@Darkmoon
I just had to thank you for providing me with the link to this thread. I've been using Burnout kids sunscreen for a week now and can say that I really love it. TY Very Happy

Just had to let you know Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

You are welcome for the directions dionie, I have to give credit where credit is due thanks to Nimue's review I tried and loved the Burnout sunscreens! Very Happy Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:47 am      Reply with quote
I was going on vacation down to the Caribbean and needed a sunscreen that was water resistant. I have used both Clear and Clean on my face and Kids on my hands(I like something more waterproof because I wash my hands a lot) and although I would not call them cosmetically elegant they are ok for everyday use. So I ordered 3 tubes of Ocean Tested to take with me. BIG MISTAKE.

This was the greasiest most oily stuff I have ever used. I would cross my legs 3 hours after I had put it on and my legs would still slide around. I usually put my sunscreen on while sitting on the bathroom rug. When I went to get up I almost did a split on the bathroom tile because my knees where so slick. This stuff never soaked in and I could not wait till the sun went down to take a shower to get it off my skin and in the morning I dreaded putting it back on.

I did look for another physical sunscreen but couldn't find any. I should have just bought a chemical one but I really didn't want to use one.
Normally I would have just thrown this in the trash but because I was on holiday I didn't have all my other sunscreens available and didn't want to pack a lot of different ones in my luggage.

When I got home I had to wash my bathing suit and nylon running shorts 2 times on heavy duty in the washing machine because the sunscreen was still visible on those items.

I don't normally write such a negative review and have not had any problems with the CC on my face (I've never used Burnout products on my body except my hands) but this was beyond gross for me. I do have oily skin, not the kind you have to blot or anything like that. I will never buy a sunscreen and not test it before going on a trip again. I know most people don't see a lot of differences between the 3 products but I think there is. I even opened another bottle because I thought that there might be something wrong with the first one, but no luck.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:29 am      Reply with quote
My personal experience:

Burnout in all its formulations left a tacky feeling on my skin that lasted for most (if not all) of the day. I live in an equatorial climate. Perhaps that is the main reason for the persisting tackiness.

I have found some alternatives to Burnout that I find more acceptable (less tacky):

1. Green Babies SPF30 Unscented. I bought this atwww.drugstore.com. It is cheaper than Burnout with the discounts (buy one get one at 50% off plus periodic discounts of up to 20% from the website on top of this).

http://www.drugstore.com/green-babies-zinc-oxide-spf-30-sunscreen-unscented-with-hydrating-pomegranate-oil-unscented/qxp401554?catid=183139

2. Trukid Water-Resistant Unscented (also available on drugstore website).

http://www.drugstore.com/trukid-sunnydays-sport-sunscreen-spf-30-unscented/qxp380355?catid=184138

3. Elemental Herbs SPF30 Kids (available onwww.iherb.com).

http://www.iherb.com/Elemental-Herbs-Kids-Sunscreen-SPF-30-Fragrance-Free-3-fl-oz-89-ml/42595

All of the above sink in to my skin much faster than Burnout. The Elemental Herbs one is a bit sticky initially but dries down non-sticky.

In terms of matte-ness (for those with oily skin), the Elemental Herbs one is the most matte, followed by Green Babies and then Trukid.

The Elemental Herbs one is not stated to be water-resistant but the other two are.

Hope the above info helps for those who wish to try alternatives to Burnout.
Savvie

Mon May 06, 2013 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Heyy all,

I've been looking for a sunscreen with high percentage of non-nano zinc, that gives a matte finish and no white cast. This in itself is hard to find. I've read really good things about the burnout sunscreens, but on all websites where I tried to order it it is either impossible or over 50 bucks to ship it to the Netherlands....

Are there other Europeans on here who use it and know where I can get it for a fairer price? :P (I'm thinking.. less than 40 dollars... :P).
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:30 am      Reply with quote
My last tube of Burnout ran out (the orange tube formula), so I ordered two new tubes.

I am discouraged to notice that the formula that used to work so wonderfully for me, is now not working as well Sad

The formula in this new tube leaves a greasy shine on my skin instead of sinking into my skin like it did before.

This increased greasiness now makes it harder to get my powder foundation to sit well over it...so I have been trying to work around it by using a Kabuki brush to tap the powder all over, instead of my usual flocked sponge.

I am wondering if anyone else is noticing the same?

BFG
cabrita
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
I have an old tube of the orange as well BFG. Only use it on my arms. (using it up as I prefer the blue one- for sensitive skin) I did try some of the new orange tube (I think you mean the very water resistant?!) at the store a couple of weeks ago & noticed it did not feel the same.

Sadly it seems they have changed their formulation - if you have an old bottle - ck it out the current ingredient listing is different & the zinc has gone from 18.6 to 20%.

I sure hope they don't change the sensitive formula!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
I'm just checking in. I'm glad this thread is going strong over 3 years later! I still love Burnout. I do try other zinc oxide sunscreens and at this point there are decent alternatives, but Burnout is still my favorite. Burnout Kids is where it's at for me.

I don't do anything else for my skin. Wash my face with water, occasionally a face brush, then I wear burnout Kids and when I want to dress up I wear some Elta on top of the burnout. But on a typical day it's only burnout kids. I don't wash it off before bed. And if I do shower at night, I'll probably put on more burnout afterwards!

The tip I do want to give is to only order from burnout directly. If the tube is a little old it's not as nice to put on. It'll still be effective, just not as pleasant. If you order from amazon or some other distributor, it's probably not going to be as fresh.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue, we have missed you!!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Longecity has reviews of several sunscreens and this is what EvaVictoria there says about BurnOut Clean & Clear:

Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide (non-nano) 18.6%.

Other Ingredients: Deionized Water, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides, Vegetable Glycerin, Sorbitol, Imperata Cylindrica (Root) Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Lecithin, Arabidopsis Extract, Plankton Extract, Aloe Vera, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Citric Acid.

http://www.burnoutsu...duct_detail&p=2

"18.6% ZnO should be sufficient protection against UVB and UVA rays.
This sunscreen contain good antioxidants and cell protective ingredients: Arabidopsis Extract, Plankton Extract, Vitamin C, Vitamin E. All these actives come from AGI Dermatics (although Vit. C and E can come from another supplier). They used to use these actives in their Remergent skin care line.
Imperata Cylindrica is an effective hydrating complex.

I think it is a very good everyday sunscreen, Ben! Smile And if you like the aesthetics then keep on using it! Smile"
http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/22050-my-new-sunscreen-launched/page__st__120

She doesnt address the fact that it contains aloe vera tho, or maybe since its near the end of the list it isnt important to her. Studies have linked aloe vera to DNA damage in the presence of UV rays. I wont bore you with those studies since theyre online for anyone to see, and Ive posted them on this forum before. This is just one of them:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20653287

Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone else find the mild scent of Burnout to be... interesting? I've only tried the Eco-Sensitive version, so I don't know if it's just this formulation. It's not scented, and out of the tube, it doesn't really smell like anything. However, after applying it, I do smell something. It's hard to put my finger on, but it smells kind of metallic and a bit like ocean water. I don't know if it's the zinc itself or the plankton extract, or a combination of the two. It's not offensive, but I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it.

For those of you who have tried both Burnout Kids and Eco-Sensitive, how significant is the difference as far as moisturizing is concerned? I've read through this thread and understand that the Kids version is more moisturizing, but is it just slightly more moisturizing or a lot more? My skin is fairly normal but on the dry side. Eco-Sensitive seems like it might be appropriate, but I'm wondering if the Kids version might be better when I start using Retin-A.

Also, I see that they reformulated the Ocean Tested version. Has anyone heard anything regarding their plans for the other two versions? I'm going to be bummed if they reformulate them right after I start using them!
concertina

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
I just wanted to add that I've been using the Eco-Sensitive for about a week and no longer notice the smell. I do find it rather drying though, even with my regular moisturizer. I'm wondering if the Kids version would be moisturizing enough.
concertina

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:14 am      Reply with quote
I don't know if this thread is dead, but it appears that all of Burnout's sunscreens have been reformulated. Has anyone used the newer Eco-Sensitive or Kids versions?
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
concertina wrote:
I don't know if this thread is dead, but it appears that all of Burnout's sunscreens have been reformulated. Has anyone used the newer Eco-Sensitive or Kids versions?

Has it? I love the stuff and use the kids one. But I ordered a new batch this year (I usually order a couple bottles as I live overseas) and noticed this past few weeks my skin feels a little itchy at times? I wonder if this is to blame? Would be interested in knowing if anyone else has noticed a difference?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:33 am      Reply with quote
I was just about to reorder (I order in bulk once in a while) and I saw that everything has been reformulated. I am freaking out right now.

I'm ordering a kids and an ocean tested... I'm terrified that I won't like the new versions... The kids burnout was so perfect! I don't want to go on a new sunscreen hunt! Why did they have to change it? If it aint broke don't fix it!

I haven't tried it yet so I don't actually know that I'll like it less but the uncertainty is terrifying.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
Feels the same on my skin and I still like it, but still unsure if this is what's causing my skin irritation. Burnout people never responded to my email. Pity Sad Confused
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:30 am      Reply with quote
dionie wrote:
Feels the same on my skin and I still like it, but still unsure if this is what's causing my skin irritation. Burnout people never responded to my email. Pity Sad Confused

Have you tried the ocean tested one? It was also reformulated.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
dionie wrote:

Have you tried the ocean tested one? It was also reformulated.

Yes, its not bad but the kids one is better. The kids one still feels lovely though. I don't really notice a difference. Its just disappointing they never replied to my email.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 06, 2014 10:47 am      Reply with quote
I have tested both the new reformulated Kids and Ocean Tested over the past 2 weeks.

I definitely prefer the new Ocean Tested to the new Kids. It's richer than the Kids, but it's easier to apply. It's not as thick as the new Kids one.

On the bright side, the reformulated burnout has NO white cast once rubbed in (as opposed to very very minuscule white cast with the old formulation). Not a big difference to me since I was satisfied with the old version but this may be revelent to some.

There's also a slightly higher % of zinc oxide in the new Ocean Tested- 20%. I'm pretty sure that the sunscreens were reformulated in order to accommodate a different zinc oxide. I believe it's ZinClear. Nancy (NCN Skincare) attempted to make a sunscreen with zinclear but it was very difficult to formulate with.

Texture wise, I miss the old Burnout Kids... It was a pleasure to apply for me. But I'll get used to it. Conclusion: I'm sticking to the Ocean Tested formula from now on.

I'm ok with burnout ocean tested...

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |