Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sea Kelp Bioferment
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
Well done.

I certainly hope that those stopping by Bulk actives will pick up a few others while they are there. prove me right ladies! Pray

They are excellent.

John's SKB...definitely, most excellent.

In truth...it's quite superb.

Absolutley DragoN! The shipping takes a bit longer than some suppliers to the states at least, but they sell and ship their actives at
very competive prices! Fabulous customer service.

Awesome, summer2004! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:17 am      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
Another something I have found, and would like to share.

kelpman.com

The formatting went down the tubes on this...came across this in another forum. Many are using it as SKB with great results. I have NOT used it...as I can get my SKB here really cheap...but not as cheap as this. Also, it is not fermented. The interesting thing...200:1 dilution rate. That's ALOT of kelp extract. He is also going into the cosmetic sales of this stuff. My bet, the legalese and rigamarole of that is taking too long and costing a lot, who knows? I don't. Canada is a real pain in the arse with that sort of stuff.

Effective September 1, 1999

Unit Size

Cost/Litre Yield-Makes This Much! Cost/Litre of Solution (Diluted 200:1)

Price/Unit

125 ml =>$47.60 25 Litres!=> 23.8 Cents/L
250 ml=> $39.80 50 Litres!=> 19.9 Cents/L

etc etc....it gets cheaper the more you buy. Very Happy

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=239969
I little more searching...and we have it here at EDS...reinventing the wheel I am!!

SO...for those of you who are looking for and want to get some SKB for formulations....there is obviously a wonderful alternative at a FAR BETTER price.

I am curious to know what the consistency of it is...

I've bought the kelpman product from Garden of Wisdom - it's called Jim's Liquid Kelp (or something like that). It's a liquid and is greenish-brown in color. I use it in my DIY pearl cream, because I didn't like the consistency of the SKB.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:06 am      Reply with quote
After reading the threads on how good kelp is for the skin and hair, I got to thinking~ I had a bunch of kelp I'd bought from a Chinese grocery store to use in body wraps with dead sea mud (very messy) I simmered some of it in a pot with water, a few pieces of gum arabic, a little yogurt and apple cider vinegar. Then I let it sit over night. After that I drained it, setting the liquid aside to add later, and put the kelp and now soft gel like gum arabic in the blender. It blended up pretty good. Then I added some lecithin, red palm oil, sesame oil, coconut oil, DMAE,jojoba and collagen powder, a little honey, and some of the liquid from the pot that had been set aside, and blended it all together . I ended up with a product that my skin seems to love~ I have dry skin and hair, so the added oils work good for me. Of course, there are a tiny pieces of kelp left in, so I may use this batch mostly on my hair. I just want to experiment with what I had at home. I like mixing thing up, can't ya tell Bad Grin
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I use it in my DIY pearl cream, because I didn't like the consistency of the SKB.

*warning*
Dumb question coming:

1. Where did you get your SKB previous to Kelpman?

2. Assuming that the previous SKB was 'glorpy" ...as in it poured..but also 'glorped"

How would you rate Kelpman on a Glorp factor of 1-10?
10= Glorpiness of horrific virtually non pourable proportions.

1= Runny and thin as water...just about. Like you could use it in a fine mist sprayer type of thin.
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:02 am      Reply with quote
If you want something more liquid to use as a mist, buy some wakame and kombu (dried) from your local asian grocer. It's very cheap. Then soak it overnight in warm water. If forms a very slightly slimy liquid with sea nutrients in it. It's still liquid enough to use in a spray bottle. If you are worried about salt content, just soak it for 15mins first, rinse and add clean water for the final soak.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:01 am      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
Quote:
I use it in my DIY pearl cream, because I didn't like the consistency of the SKB.

*warning*
Dumb question coming:

1. Where did you get your SKB previous to Kelpman?

2. Assuming that the previous SKB was 'glorpy" ...as in it poured..but also 'glorped"

How would you rate Kelpman on a Glorp factor of 1-10?
10= Glorpiness of horrific virtually non pourable proportions.

1= Runny and thin as water...just about. Like you could use it in a fine mist sprayer type of thin.

1) I bought my SKB from NCN Skincare.

2) Kelpman has a Glorpiness value (love that term, DragoN) of 2 or 3, I would say.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:23 am      Reply with quote
NotMeNotYou wrote:
If you want something more liquid to use as a mist, buy some wakame and kombu (dried) from your local asian grocer. It's very cheap. Then soak it overnight in warm water. If forms a very slightly slimy liquid with sea nutrients in it. It's still liquid enough to use in a spray bottle. If you are worried about salt content, just soak it for 15mins first, rinse and add clean water for the final soak.

Thanks for sharing this, NotMeNotYou. I just discovered an asian market in my area so may give this a try.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Everyone, I bought powdered sea kelp. I mixed it with some hemp oil, but it remained gritty. I really didn't want to use it to exfoliate, but rather to nourish my skin and hair. What should I be doing with the powder?
Thank you! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:59 am      Reply with quote
NotMeNotYou wrote:

This is off topic, but could you use dried wakame and kombu in green smoothies?

Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
This website is my new guilty pleasure and I look forward to sharing with you ladies(?) in the future...Put in my first order for DIY here including the SKB, and yes, shipping stinks and is long, but I can wait...First project up is Kassey's C+E+FA with Jojoba, unless I change it up...but I suppose one should always start with a recipe as written...
Then in the near future I want to tackle an anti-aging serum and also eye cream if anyone wants to offer suggestions as to their favorite.
Finally thinking lip balm/colored gloss or stains

Does anyone have a supplier of bottles/jars...one stop shopping without exhorbitant prices and in small quantity? that they want to share?

I'm going to do a search now...for these specifically.

Kim

DragoN wrote:
Well done.

I certainly hope that those stopping by Bulk actives will pick up a few others while they are there. prove me right ladies! Pray

They are excellent.

NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:14 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:

This is off topic, but could you use dried wakame and kombu in green smoothies?

Yes you can but I imagine it would taste horrendous and I certainly could not drink it. Wakame has the most delicate flavour of the two but once you hydrate it, you will detect it's definite oceany taste. Probably the only one you could disguise in a green smoothie whole.

Kombu has an extremely strong smell and taste. Even dried you can smell it for miles, it truly is just like the stinky stuff that washes up on shores. It's used as a soup stock in combination with salted dried fish, and makes a very strong stock. If you were to drink this one at all you'd have to make a stock from it and put it in a vegetable smoothie, you could not put that stuff in a blender in it's raw form.

I'm trying my hand at making my own SKB. It's not for the faint of heart, you will have rotting kelp in your house for weeks! And if it wasn't for my location (non-US) and the cost of shipping I wouldn't even bother. But I've started a small batch off and the scum on the surface and bubbles in the mix tell me it's definately fermenting. I've got to say the smell isn't lovely, but I'm only doing this in a small jar as an experiment. Otherwise I will buy from Bulk Actives and just suck up the postage cost.

I make a lot of scary fermented foods at home anyway so this is just another type for me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
So, Embarassed , this may the most stupid question ever on this post:

How does one ferment kelp? How long does it take?
Just add water and let it be?

Rolling Eyes Haven't a clue really, what I do know is that I live in an area where nowadays the beach shore is full of seaweed... and I'm tempted to go an pick some up and do something with it... I see people regularly picking up bunches but I've never bothered till now to actually go and ask someone what they do with it. High time I did go ask.
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:

How does one ferment kelp? How long does it take?
Just add water and let it be?

I see people regularly picking up bunches but I've never bothered till now to actually go and ask someone what they do with it. High time I did go ask.

They are probably putting it in their compost bin and that's one way to ferment and break it down. Doesn't really help much with skin care though.

At this stage my ferment is an experiment and I've already had to discard one jar that had mould in it. Fermenting for the purposes of injestion (which is what happens when you put something on your skin) is a whole lot different than fermenting for the garden. You have to be very careful to have a clean ferment. Which would also include a clean source of kelp. You really can't tell how clean the kelp is that washes up on your shore if you live near a metro area as god knows what gets dumped into the sea around a city.

Fermenting is a combination of the right temp, acidity and food to encourage the right bacteria to be present while discouraging the noxious forms. I haven't cracked the method yet and may never do so in a form that's useful to me. I just like to tinker. Wink In the meantime I'm buying my SKB from Bulk Actives since it's so affordable.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
I live in Vancouver Canada and want to start making Kassy's recipe with jojoba. Where can i buy SKB??

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
I live in Vancouver Canada and want to start making Kassy's recipe with jojoba. Where can i buy SKB??

A list of DIY suppliers shared by many can be found near the bottom of the DIY Recipe Index thread:

DIY Websites / Suppliers – A List
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=32529

Most seem ship to Canada. For the SKB, try NCN, Lotioncrafter, Bulk Actives, Skin Actives etc. HTHs!
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
I really like the kelp ferment from bulk actives and much prefer it to the ultramarine from SA. It is more like a viscous liquid than a solid gel which makes it so much more easily blendable into creams and lotions. I always had problems with the ultramarine forming tiny clumps in my creams no matter how much I diluted it with rosewater or used my bamix on it. I was adding during the water phase of the emulsion btw. The very jelly-like texture of it also did not make it amenable to being used standalone either.

By comparison the ferment from bulk actives is like a liquid gel and would make an excellent base for a serum as is, just add actives. It's near clear and only has a very slight salty smell about it. The price is quite simply wonderful even with postage. I highly recommend it. My package was shipped very quickly.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:21 am      Reply with quote
When i read and googled the ingredients list for Skin Actives Ultramarine SKB, it seemed to me that it was basically SKB enriched with kelp extract. So why couldn't i do them one better by adding some kelpman to Bulkactives SKB?

I LOVE SEAKELP BIOFERMENT!!! My hair is thicker and healtheir since i use it as a leave in conditioner.

on other forums and my blog, I have written about SKB and pointed out the best price is from John.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
SKB is great stuff.

Only at a 50% + markup. Better than other sellers.

I am just curious how the shipping costs got marked up though...
http://www.post.gov.tw/post/internet/u_english/postal_f_6_5.jsp#m

25% markup on that as well?

Unless things have changed very recently, a certain company was not even legally registered to operate here. Wink

Which makes one wonder....where did the tax added to purchases go all these years?

Most interesting.
Rolling Eyes
Angelfire
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:42 am      Reply with quote
I read somewhere that an easy method to ferment the kelp is using kefir or yogurt starter and adding it to liquid kelp. So I've been experiment with making my own and using it in hair and skin products. I may order some to compare it to what I'm making Laughing . The powdered or dry kelp doesn't work well but the liquid does for me
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Angelfire wrote:
I read somewhere that an easy method to ferment the kelp is using kefir or yogurt starter and adding it to liquid kelp. So I've been experiment with making my own and using it in hair and skin products. I may order some to compare it to what I'm making Laughing . The powdered or dry kelp doesn't work well but the liquid does for me

I made my own SKB at home but to be honest the one I get from BA is so nice, and well priced that making it is a bit of a hassle and I can't be bothered.Bad Grin I only use it in my skin creams so for the quantity I need it doesn't make sense to brew it up at home. I just add a jar of it to my order for other actives from there everytime I buy and I always have enough on hand.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
MidnightSunBaby what is the ratio of Sea kelp extract and SKB that you're using for your hair?
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I LOVE SEAKELP BIOFERMENT!!! My hair is thicker and healtheir since i use it as a leave in conditioner.

Ditto that. Great extract. Don't use any styling products at all. Just the SKB and diluted at 30% SKB to 70% distilled H20 as a leave in conditioner and styler....sooooo much nicer.

What do you use midnightsun?
kmaya
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry to be redundant Dragon but you use JUST SKB and distilled water (30/70)and you spritz it on wet hair after it's washed. Do you put on a rinse off conditioner prior?
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I do. I have very very long hair...mind you...I will try it without too and see how that goes. I have been using leave in conditioners for so long it's habit to have something else on my hair. Then mousse and all the other crap for detangling...silicone based....blegh.

With just the SKB/ H20 mix....I don't need any other stuff in my hair. And ...this will sound gross, but when you have long hair, over washing is really hard on it over time, I can wash my hair every 4-5 days without it getting greasy or fouled up with dirt sticking to it.

Sounds gross...but my hair looks and feels great.

Much simpler.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
DragoN wrote:
Well done.

They are excellent.

Absolutley DragoN! The shipping takes a bit longer than some suppliers to the states at least, but they sell and ship their actives at
very competive prices! Fabulous customer service.

Awesome, summer2004! Very Happy

Does John @ bulkactives sells SKB in larger size as well? On the website only 8.8 oz is listed. Thank you.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |