Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is Anyone Using Algenist Products?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Lemon, on the Holy Grail thread mentioned that she is using Algenist moisturizer. I got curious and did some research and the products look very interesting. I was wondering if anyone else is using these products and what your results have been so far. TIA

http://www.algenist.com/

http://www.sephora.com/browse/brand_hierarchy.jhtml?brandId=Algenist
Lemon
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Jom, a couple others have been asking me about it as well so if I may I will share what I know about the product based off of personal experience, anecdotal experience from others, mini trainings, and 3rd party articles.

I'm hesitant to specifically disclose where I work because I don't want to be accused of product pushing for my personal benefit, but in this case I will say that I work for Sephora, as it is from them that a lot of my information comes. Also, Algenist is exclusive to Sephora and QVC so you would have figured it out anyway (by the way it is only possible for me to directly benefit if you purchase from the store that I work at).

Basically, the hype over Algenist is that it uses alguronic acid as the anti-aging ingredient in its products. Alguronic acid (purified microalgae exopolysaccharide extract) is derived from microalgae, who use this compound to survive in harsh, UV ray saturated conditions. This is a big deal because according to Algenist studies, it is more effective than vitamin C and retinol in reversing signs of aging. Not only that but this protects AND regenerates, so you could use this in place of your antioxidant serum and your retinol. This is great news for those who are allergic, pregnant, or see retinol as too harsh.

As it is this is a very new product and we have yet to be extensively trained by a brand rep so some of my information might change, but did get some informal training through an Algenist/Sephora Vodcast. We were also given Algenist moisturizing samples pre-launch (2-3 weeks before it was brought in stores), and that's what I've been using recently.

From personal experience I've been using it only about 2 weeks. I generally have dry skin everywhere except for my nose, which is oily. While I don't have any deep wrinkles, my concern has been a development of fine lines creeping into my forehead and around my eyes. I also have hereditary redness in my lower cheeks which forces me to use full coverage foundations even if my overall skin is in good shape.

I want to warn you I am not yet screaming "miracle product!" but I have so far been encouraged by the results. I use it twice a day, but I feel that especially at night my skin wakes up with my forehead lines diminished considerably. By the end of the day they do creep back in, but if it's merely hydrating or actually regenerating it's still doing more than most I've tried. Also, my skin doesn't get the "flakies" that usually accompany dryness for 10-12 hours after I put it on, which to me is impressive because a lot of creams and moisturizers still leave me looking rough even if they're heavy. And the product sinks in really well--it doesn't feel like a heavy cream. It has also helped calm down my redness and even my skintone upon waking to the point where I'm considering tinted moisturizers as an option--so that's something!

Some of my less skincare crazy cast members gave their Algenist samples to their mothers, who apparently are raving about the product, so more mature skin types are seeing positive results as well it seems.

So what's the negative? Well, for those of you who can't back a product unless it's been extensively tested, documented, and peer reviewed, Algenist is quite new. Its claims that it is more effective than vitamin C and retinol were conducted by a 3rd party, but have not been published in a peer reviewed journal. Alguronic acid has only been developed in the last 7 years, so there is little in terms of serious documentation compared to vitamin C. Additionally, to the best of my knowledge, Algenist is the only company to include this compound in their products, so there is little else to compare it to on the market.

However, I do think if this were just a bunch of poorly documented crock, Sephora and QVC would be taking a rather large business risk to introduce and market this unheard of product with such fantastic claims, so I really hope they just know something we don't! Laughing

Personally, I will continue to finish my sample and make a decision about purchasing at that time. I will definitely buy it if I see my fine lines improve because when you consider the fact that it doubles as protection like an antioxidant and also regenerates, it's like a two for one.

I sincerely hope some of this may be useful to anyone interested in this product. This is all that I know at this point in time but I will update if I learn anything else. The Algenist website is a good place to start for FAQs and such.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Lemon, this is a great review for the products. Thank you for taking the time to write all this up. Would you happen to know what improvements the "mothers" are seeing as to why they are raving over this product? Also, would you happen to know if they are using the cream, serum, or both?
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:29 am      Reply with quote
So far the sample sizes are getting great reviews.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.CM_SCID.coll.item.A12874.desc.Algenist-AntiAging-Skin-Care-Discovery-Kit

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:25 am      Reply with quote
When I was at the local mall earlier this week (bra shopping with daughter) I made a special stop at Sephora just to check out this product. Smoothed some serum onto my face and told my daughter to let me know if I seemed younger by the time I got home.

The product feels nice on the skin. It's not perfumed. If it cost substantially less (and if I weren't already using ASG) I might give it a try.

However, I must say that I was put off by the reviews I just read on the above QVC link. Most sound as though they were written by the same person. So the product may be all that, but I find the obvious shilling to be offputting.

I'll wait for you all to give it a try and let us know what you think!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Hermosa wrote:
When I was at the local mall earlier this week (bra shopping with daughter) I made a special stop at Sephora just to check out this product. Smoothed some serum onto my face and told my daughter to let me know if I seemed younger by the time I got home.

The product feels nice on the skin. It's not perfumed. If it cost substantially less (and if I weren't already using ASG) I might give it a try.

However, I must say that I was put off by the reviews I just read on the above QVC link. Most sound as though they were written by the same person. So the product may be all that, but I find the obvious shilling to be offputting.

I'll wait for you all to give it a try and let us know what you think!

So, Hermosa, did you look younger according to your daughter when you got home? Very Happy (Is the ASG doing anything for you?)
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the information Lemon. I stopped by Sephora last night and picked up samples of all three products. I like the serum and like that it has other active ingredients like niacinamide and beta glucan in it. I used the serum instead of Retin A last night and my skin looked good when I woke up this morning. I also put it on under my other products this morning. It absorbs well and seems to hydrate slightly. The eye cream is a little thick and not very hydrating.
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

So, Hermosa, did you look younger according to your daughter when you got home? Very Happy (Is the ASG doing anything for you?)

I don't think any of my kids ever actually look at me (no one noticed my puffy post-Sculptra face a few weeks ago). So, no. As for the ASG...probably best to post over there.

I have to admit, although I admire the humility expressed by this company's founders (aw, shucks, we weren't even looking for a cosmetic treatment -- it just fell into our laps!) but the algae miracle cure -- seems like this is a new twist on a very old ploy.

Of course, I did buy the magic transformational water, but only after 6 mos of raves.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hermosa wrote:

I don't think any of my kids ever actually look at me (no one noticed my puffy post-Sculptra face a few weeks ago). So, no.

Well, I guess that can be both good and bad if the kids don't look! Thanks for the reply. I'll look forward to reading your review of the ASG on that thread.
Lemon
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
You're welcome of course rileygirl, jom, and everyone else! I have learned so much from everyone here I'm glad if I can help out in any way!

rileygirl wrote:
Would you happen to know what improvements the "mothers" are seeing as to why they are raving over this product? Also, would you happen to know if they are using the cream, serum, or both?

She said her mother (aged 50-60) felt increased firmness and reduction in lines. Again I am cautious of such a claim so soon and can't speak for the condition of her skin before using the treatment nor her expectations, but I'm glad she seemed to like it. We were all given the same sample (the moisturizer without SPF) at the same time, so she couldn't have been using it more than 2 weeks at the time of the report.

jom wrote:
I stopped by Sephora last night and picked up samples of all three products.

Yes of course! If anyone is interested in trying the product, know that you can ask a skincare expert to make you a free sample. We have not received any pre-made samples from Algenist yet so asking a Sephora cast member to make you one is a good way to try before you buy.

jom wrote:
The eye cream is a little thick and not very hydrating.

I have not tried the eye cream yet because I like to keep it simple and don't feel I need an extra addition, but thanks for that review. I will try it out and let my clients know if indeed it does feel different.

I'm crossing my fingers on this product (the moisturizer without SPF) because I think it could strike the right balance between convenience (it's a moisturizer, antioxidant, and retinol replacement in one. I wouldn't have to worry about toting around 3 products, making new batches of C serum, refrigeration, or shattered glass in my purse/travel bag. I travel enough where these are things I need to consider), effectiveness, and price (when you think about brands like Perricone, Amore Pacific, etc.). Also, I was eyeing Caudalie's Premier Cru as the antioxidant in my routine and that's $150. You know you're spending too much time around pricey skincare when you start justifying a $150 product. Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
Here are the comments of Hannah of Skin Actives towards Algenist and “alguronic acid”.

http://skinactives.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=5167559
Lemon
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you summer2004 for the link! If indeed Algenist is making fraudulent claims this seems quite worrisome and stupid of Sephora to be promoting such a product at any time, but especially in these shaky economic times.

Hannah from Skinactives wrote:
Still, Algenist and its “alguronic acid” are a special case that merits my wrath. You see, alguronic acid does not exist, even it sounds real (like hyaluronic acid). Whay [sic] you will find in the ingredient list is “microalgae exopolysaccharides”.

I agree that "alguronic acid" as a single particle found in nature, doesn't exist. However, when double checking Algenist's FAQs I noted that alguronic acid is actually described as a "compound", which I take to mean it's comprised of more than one ingredient. In that case I personally don't see it as entirely unreasonable to rename the compound to something more accessible sounding. Furthermore, the phrase "alguronic acid" was followed by the symbol indicating it's a registered trademark--clearly a marketing name as opposed to an actual scientific ingredient.

While some may consider that to be fraudulent or hiding ingredients, I can also see how others might point out that it's more consumer friendly than going with the list of scientific names of which it may be comprised.

Hanna from Skinactives wrote:
We at Skin Actives have been using algae exopolysaccharide for a long while:

I do not claim to be an expert on algae exopolysachharides, so if indeed others are experiencing similar results from their products containing what appears to be the same ingredient, then this may be a situation akin to the Perricone/L-glutathione Gate :P

Here is the article in the NYT I read giving a decent unbiased review of Algenist: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/24/fashion/24SKIN.html?_r=2

And another one by San Francisco Chronicle http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/03/27/LVVJ1IF13L.DTL&ao=all

I am trying to come at this as unbiased as I can be because I don't want to sell someone something that doesn't actually work, nor do I want to spend money on it myself!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lemon,

I have not used Algenist personally and do not want to say anything about it. The reason why I posted the link was to provide all with a second opinion of alguronic acid.
fadedgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2011 11:03 am      Reply with quote
I have been using the Algenist Serum since the end of March.

I really like the serum, as it sinks in completely and apparently it balances my skin rather well, as my face doesn't ooze oil to compensate. I put it all over my eyes and have experienced zero sensitivity. I do not get shiny later in the day, or any other ill effect from this serum. Its a lovely base under my SS or foundation.

For me, it has not been a miracle product for anti-aging. My face and neck do feel more supple and my neck has firmed a bit. My skin does 'look' healthier, and just feels normal and nice with this product on, but I have seen zero wrinkle reduction from this product. In fact, my crows feet are much worse lately, but I am not blaming the serum for that...the point is: it definitely isn't helping them any.

So, I'm pretty much at the end of my bottle. Will I repurchase? Not right now. I am happily chasing the rainbows of a few other products currently. But I will not forget Algenist, and I may return to it if I ever give up on hyped products & the false hopes they inspire. If I simply want my face to be nicely hydrated, firmed a bit, normalized, and very comfortable -- I will not hesitate to repurchase.
fadedgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
I used the Algenist for a few more days after the above post. And I was noticing that my neck rings looked way better. As though they had filled-in quite a bit.

I thought I must have lost a few pounds or something (not)! But I had a nagging fear that maybe I was stopping this product just as it was getting started.

Its over a week later now since I ran out of the product, and the rings are back to normal now. They have shadows in them again.

I started using the E'Shee #1 and #4 serums when I stopped the Algenist. I've been trying to not order any more Algenist because I really want to see what the E'Shee can do by itself, but I can't take it anymore. I have ordered another bottle of Algenist and for now, I'm going to use it only on my neck.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
I think the story behind the brand and the ingredient seems very interesting, so I got the eye balm and the moisturiser today. It seems to be like a more advanced Creme De La Mer with this special algae. It is a long time since I have been excited about a new skin care ingredient, so I look forward to using the products and will be happy to share my feedback here. Results should be visible after ten days, so I will check back in. Lovely scent and texture is really all I can say so far.
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:12 am      Reply with quote
This line has caught my interest. I've been searching about Alguronic acid and it sounds promising:

'Alguronic acid, although a larger, although a more complex polysacharide structure, shares many similarities with Hyluronic acid, the polysaccharide which helps maintain the water balance in our skin. In Algenist‘s in vivo & in vitro trials, Alguronic acid in fact performed considerably better than it’s human counterpart. In head to head comparisons of elastin synthesis (carried out by the Biotechnology company Solazyme labs) it outperformed hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, retinol, vitamin E, coenzyme Q10, palmitoyl pentapeptide and palmitoyl oligopeptide. Algenist claim that Alguronic Acid was in fact the only anti-aging ingredient tested that significantly increased elastin production.'

Apparently it provides UV protection aswell. I may invest in the concentrated serum to try.

Any more thoughts/reviews on alguronic acid?
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:02 am      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:
......In head to head comparisons of elastin synthesis (carried out by the Biotechnology company Solazyme labs) it outperformed hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, retinol, vitamin E, coenzyme Q10, palmitoyl pentapeptide and palmitoyl oligopeptide......

The parent company of Algenist is Solazyme; thus, I doubt the independence of the claim.

http://www.futurederm.com/2011/07/30/algenist-review-alguronic-acid-analysis/

http://www.solazyme.com/health-sciences
Clairebear237

Tue May 07, 2013 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Hey everyone, reading everyone's reply I wish I could say I was 101% happy with Algerian. It does make a bit nervous that its so new. I feel results should be obtained years after using it... And why I can't find answers for that I am not sure.
I have been using it for about 5 months now. At first I thought it had whitening affects which I didn't like. My mother said though that my skin appeared smoother and more even. When I put it on at night I see a small difference. In the morning I see a big difference. But as the day goes on, my little fine lines which are actually all on my cheeks mostly from smiling and or maybe sun damage are back an always look bigger than ever. This may be due to getting used to not seeing them so boldly when I wake up.
I still use vitamin c and retinal because algebraic doesn't help with acne and I like the feel of vitamin c. Plus I feel my skin is bad enough to spoil my skin all the time. Overall though after months I'm still not sure... I am not sure i can say I see long term effects. When I was using caudelie I definitely saw long term effects... But it's even pricier... I should probably stick with that. I don't like how Algenist for me seems to be a temp fix. I also though have been having sleep issues which don't help with cell regeneration. Perhaps it needs sleep in addition to work. I am skeptical and recently bought Algenist sunscreen but will probably return it and maybe get Clinique which is tried and true or cave and get caudelie though their SPF only goes to. 15. That's another thing.... At what level of SPF is it NOT good for your skin.... I take very good care of my skin but I feel like no matter what I do the fine lines come back and the elastin shies away....
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 08, 2013 7:12 am      Reply with quote
I have used their eye balm and cream, and the restorative cream. Love them all. I just ordered the trial size of their lifting and firming to see how it compares.
Very hydrating and it does "smooth" the skin out temporarily.
I have not used it long enough to say what is permanent.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:08 am      Reply with quote
This is an old thread, but I recently tried a generous sample of their sleeping collagen, included in my last order from Sephora, and really liked it. I ended up going on their website directly and ordering a full size of the sleeping collagen as well as a mystery pack of products directly from their website as there was a coupon for first time users. I really wanted to try their lip collagen, but it was not included in the pack. The sleeping collagen was expensive but if you break it down for 2 oz, I guess $98 isn’t that much and of course the coupon helped. I have been using a lot of Korean skin care lately, which is usually really affordable for great quality but have not been wowed by any moisturizers lately. The main ingredient in Algenist is alguronic acid, derived from algae, formulated by Stanford scientists. I read an article that really peaked my interest as the company is really into sustainability. Article is here https://www.cultbeauty.co.uk/blog/2018/07/algenist-have-answered-all-our-burning-skin-care-questions

I really like algae in skin care, it reminds me of Osea, which I used for many years but have since moved on from.

So far, I’ve been happy with the sleeping collagen but it has only been a few days. My skin feels plump and refreshed after application. I ever put some on my husband who said his skin felt nice in the morning.

They included in the mystery pack a good size to try of the liquid collagen. Aside from the unneeded artificial perfume, it seems to work really well for my skin. For the record I am 38 this year and have combination skin. I received a bunch of other products in their mystery pack and will report back with my opinion at a later time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:44 am      Reply with quote
After my initial use I will say I did not come back to it.
I purchased mine from Sephora and tried samples of their entire line as well.
I liked their product ingredients and the idea of the science behind it, but to me the proof has to be visual.
There was no real oomph or wow factor, nothing to tempt me either way to continue or repurchase the serum.
I get tempted now and then to just repurchase the moisturizer, that was my favorite of the lot. Smooth and rich enough but not too heavy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
I'd like to update my review of the sleeping collagen. I ended up purchasing the full size cream and i ended hating it. I used the cream on my butt and feet. the full size cream just felt really thick and sat on top of my skin this time. I also purchased a lot of algenist products and pretty much disliked them all. I wouldn't go back to the brand. they do have great sales though.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
I have used their Complete Eye Renewal Balm, and it is also beneficial for me
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |