Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Favorite or Must Have Supplements
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
flfl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
I'm trying to streamline (and save money) because i take too many

multivitamin, multimineral, fish oil, hyaluronic acid, glisodin, selenium, vitamin c, rutin, coQ 10, zeaxanthin, astaxanthin, lycopene, pantethine, kelp, thyroid supplement, tocotrienol, vit D, milk thistle.

i'm trying to eat alot more veggies/fruits and really want to get my nutrition from food.

some of the supplements are preventative, but alot are because i generally have lower energy/focus than i want and definitely need lose fat/weight.

also, i'm trying to stay younger looking, but wish my skin was firmer and clearer/less acne.

thanks!1
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
I work in lifestyle healthcare, which includes nutrition consultations.

You should be able to purchase a simple complete multi-vitamin/ mineral, so you will not require individual vitamin C, D, tocotrienols, selenium or iodine (kelp, thyroid). Although vitamins and mineral are important more is not better: several are toxic in higher doses, have negative withdrawal effects, or have negative effects when not taken in the correct ratios. Fish body oils are health stars, so you might increase the dose depending how much EPA & DHA you are taking. Is the hyaluronic acid low molecular weight? The remainder are superfluous unless you have an undisclosed health condition?

For energy/ focus/ skin health/ weight management no supplement replaces a healthy lifestyle. Work on regular sleep patterns, little alcohol/ caffeine/ no smoking, regular physical activity (minimum 10,000 steps a day), replace sugar and white or refined carbs with low glycaemic index wholefoods, nine portions of fruit and veg a day, plenty of essential fatty acids. These will all help reduce stress and inflammation, improve organ function including the skin, thyroid and liver.

One supplement you might consider adding (in place of all the phytonutrients and antioxidants) is green tea - either as dried extract or as a drink. Research suggests the polyphenols can raise the metabolism, have anti-ageing properties, improve exercise performance and even boost mental concentration which ticks a lot of boxes for you. This is absolutely not necessary, but I know it can be tough to accept 'cold turkey' when you are accustomed to relying on supplements. Embarassed

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
7Destiny
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
If you are over 40, I think you should continue with CoQ10 to spark energy. But have you tried ubiquinol. 50 mg of ubiquinol is equivalent to 300 mg of CoQ10. All ubiquinol is made by Kaneka..they hold the patent. So pick an inexpensive brand, like Healthy Origins.

I am also a big fan of hyaluronic acid for skin firmness and eye health. Google Pharmacist Suzy Cohen+hyaluronic acid and see all the good things she says about joint health, skin beauty, and eye sight. But get the all natural ha, not the synthetic (sodium hyaluronate). I take Neocell.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
I go through phases of taking all sorts of suplements... I've finally narrowed it down to a good multi-mineral-vitamin one, it is the Supradyn Q10+ I'm taking at the moment, and what I reintroduced about three months ago was Cod Liver Oil capsules... it is since I've started with these that I've noticed a better skin -they are also recommended for when trying to lose weight. I had them recommended many many years ago by a dermatologist to help with my tendency to eczema, she actually recommended fish oil and borage oil capsules to "nourish" the skin.
I sometimes toss in the green, white or red tea but as infusion, not as an extra suplement.
The MSM I also take at intermitent intervals, which means... when I remember!
dickymoe
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
UDO's oil and ZYFLAMEND
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
dickymoe wrote:
UDO's oil and ZYFLAMEND

Explain please, if possible.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
How much are your supplements costing you per day? Honestly, in terms of the most bang for the buck, I would recommend eating a large green smoothie for breakfast--they are amazing! (like 400 Cal + 0.25-0.5 lbs of greens)--and cutting down on the number of supplements you take. Also water and balancing your omega-3 (more) and omega-6 (less) fats are also important. Supplements can't make up for the oxidative damage from most people's diets.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:22 am      Reply with quote
I eat predominantly fresh and steamed green vegetables with fish, and eggs. Tiny bit of brown rice and various nuts. I also take a green powder supplement (a blend of wheat grass, spirulina and chlorella) as well dried acai berry and fish oil capsules. I figure that ticks the multivitamin minerals, antioxidants and EFAs for me in conjunction with my usual diet.

I'm not a big fan of synthetic vitamins for me personally, I like the green powders and I've experienced an improvement in stamina, mental alertness and overall wellbeing. I like that they are complete foods in themselves so it's hard to overdose or any one vitamin or mineral
taking them. I'm aos too lazy to research individual vitamins and minerals to try and work out which ones I need. My supplements cost me $60 per month which is think is very reasonable when we are talking about food and health.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:40 am      Reply with quote
ZYFLAMEND is a blend of herbs and spices good for inflammation joints etc
2 softgels = Rosemary (leaf) 100 mg supercritical extract and 50 mg hydroethanolic extract (min. 34.5 mg total phenolic antioxidants [TPA]) 150 mg �
Turmeric (rhizome) 10 mg supercritical extract (min. 4.5 mg turmerones) and 100 mg hydroethanolic extract (min. 7 mg curcuminoids) 110 mg �
Ginger (rhizome) 54 mg supercritical extract (min. 16.2 mg pungent compounds; min. 4.3 mg zingiberene) and 46 mg hydroethanolic extract (min. 1.4 mg pungent compounds) 100 mg �
Holy Basil (leaf) hydroethanolic extract (min. 2 mg ursolic acid) 100 mg �
Green Tea (leaf) extract (min. 45 mg polyphenols) 100 mg �
Hu Zhang (Polygonum cuspidatum) (root and rhizome) hydroethanolic extract (min. 6.4 mg resveratrol) 80 mg �
Chinese Goldthread (root) hydroethanolic extract (min. 2.4 mg berberine) 40 mg �
Barberry (root) hydroethanolic extract (min. 2.4 mg berberine) 40 mg �
Oregano (leaf) supercritical extract (min. 1.6 mg TPA) 40 mg �
Baikal Skullcap (Scutellaria baicalensis) (root) hydroethanolic extract (min. 3.4 mg baicalein complex including baicalein and baicalin; and min. 0.08 mg wogonin) 20 mg
dickymoe
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:57 am      Reply with quote
UDO's oil comes in a brown bottle and is refrigerated. It is a vegan 3 6 9 blend. I am no longer a vegan but still take 1 tbls daily

Flax Oil*, Sunflower Oil*, Sesame Oil*, Coconut Oil*, Evening Primrose Oil*, Rice Bran Oil*, Soy Lecithin*, Oat Germ and Bran Oil*, Mixed Tocopherols (NON-GMO).
(*Organic)

Also eating steel cut oats that have been soaked and slow cooked in a crock pot are very good for skin, hair, nails and your health. The natuaral silicon is so good for you. Add some organic coconut oil, pinch of brown sugar,cranberries, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and a banana and you are good. I cook a batch every week and it keeps in the fridge or you can freeze portions.
At one point I took a skin care vitamin that had msm included in it. It made my skin smell weird.
I agree with the other comment about taking synthetic vitamins you are better off eating better, and fish oil that has been sitting in a capsuale seems gross
beauty mask
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:14 am      Reply with quote
Evening Primrose Oil

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:17 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
How much are your supplements costing you per day? Honestly, in terms of the most bang for the buck, I would recommend eating a large green smoothie for breakfast--they are amazing! (like 400 Cal + 0.25-0.5 lbs of greens)--and cutting down on the number of supplements you take. Also water and balancing your omega-3 (more) and omega-6 (less) fats are also important. Supplements can't make up for the oxidative damage from most people's diets.

my supplements cost alot. I just started green smoothies and am trying to cut down on supplements, but wanted to get a sense of what people think are most important.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
These are great recommendations Firefox7275. Lifestyle behaviors (not smoking is #1), sleep, physical activity and nutritional concerns are key. Jack Lalane (RIP) said Exercise is King
Nutrition is Queen

After years of various supplements I've come to the conclusion that "green smoothies" and green drinks - favorite being Vitamineral Green... are the ticket.
I also take hyaluronic acid because it plumps skin tissues and take a vitamin for hair, skin, nails.
That's it these days.

Firefox7275 wrote:
For energy/ focus/ skin health/ weight management no supplement replaces a healthy lifestyle. Work on regular sleep patterns, little alcohol/ caffeine/ no smoking, regular physical activity (minimum 10,000 steps a day), replace sugar and white or refined carbs with low glycaemic index wholefoods, nine portions [b]of fruit and veg a day, plenty of essential fatty acids. These will all help reduce stress and inflammation, improve organ function including the skin, thyroid and liver.[/b]

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
Oops - I also take Omega 3's and Vitamin D.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
Have you gotten a blood test? I recommend basing your decision on what supplements you actually need to take, rather than guessing. For example, I'm a supplement minimalist, so I only take vitamin B12 (I'm vegan, so need it), vitamin D (when I don't get enough sun; I use Dr. Holick's sun tables to determine this), and zinc (because my blood tests show that I'm a bit too low). Everything else is great and I get it from food, so I don't supplement and focus instead on eating high-quality fruits and veggies. Just my personal philosophy Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
anyone try glisodin? it does contain wheat (gliadin), but sounds very promising to me.
lawmom
5% products discount

Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:10 am      Reply with quote
Fish oil capsules and Vitamin E
Sidmo
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:56 am      Reply with quote
I cant live without Murad youth builder and fish oil. Some days I take only three of the recommended four youth builder and take a multivitamin instead.

I believe that the youth builder really has plumped up my skin, esp. the fine lines under my eyes. I have taken them for two years and the lines have diminished 50 % since them.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
I'm taking monthly B12 shots, and a multivitamin when I remember. I'm trying to retool my diet right now.

I saw this collagen supplement at the health food store. Is it worth purchasing? I think it was some $22 for about an ounce.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:26 am      Reply with quote
HI Firefox - Do you mind sharing what Hyaluronic Acid supplement do you take?

Firefox7275 wrote:
I work in lifestyle healthcare, which includes nutrition consultations.

You should be able to purchase a simple complete multi-vitamin/ mineral, so you will not require individual vitamin C, D, tocotrienols, selenium or iodine (kelp, thyroid). Although vitamins and mineral are important more is not better: several are toxic in higher doses, have negative withdrawal effects, or have negative effects when not taken in the correct ratios. Fish body oils are health stars, so you might increase the dose depending how much EPA & DHA you are taking. Is the hyaluronic acid low molecular weight? The remainder are superfluous unless you have an undisclosed health condition?

For energy/ focus/ skin health/ weight management no supplement replaces a healthy lifestyle. Work on regular sleep patterns, little alcohol/ caffeine/ no smoking, regular physical activity (minimum 10,000 steps a day), replace sugar and white or refined carbs with low glycaemic index wholefoods, nine portions of fruit and veg a day, plenty of essential fatty acids. These will all help reduce stress and inflammation, improve organ function including the skin, thyroid and liver.

One supplement you might consider adding (in place of all the phytonutrients and antioxidants) is green tea - either as dried extract or as a drink. Research suggests the polyphenols can raise the metabolism, have anti-ageing properties, improve exercise performance and even boost mental concentration which ticks a lot of boxes for you. This is absolutely not necessary, but I know it can be tough to accept 'cold turkey' when you are accustomed to relying on supplements. Embarassed

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:32 am      Reply with quote
firefox, is it better to take green tea or egcg or both? thanks.
CherrySilver
5% products discount

Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
I've taken GliSODin in the past, and quite honestly, I really didn't see a difference after several months. What *has* worked for me, however, has been Vitamin K2-MK4 -- I take it in drops as opposed to capsules (Thorne brand). The skin on my hands responded very quickly -- I could tell because my palms were much softer within a few days.

I also take Coq10, lutein and hyaluronic acid powder, all from PureBulk. I mix the Coq10 and hyaluronic according to the directions on their website. I buy other things (including Pearl Powder & resveratrol) in bulk also and cap some of the stuff myself. Definitely notice a difference when I don't take them, too.

flfl, I have the same concerns as you and would like to streamline my supplement regime. There are some things that I just can't/don't want to do without, and I'm always looking for better deals or ways to incorporate it into my diet if at all possible.

5% products discount

Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
flfl wrote:
is it better to take green tea or egcg or both? thanks.

'sup to you. I suppose if I were trying to streamline my regimen, I'd ditch the pills and substitute tea for coffee (if you do that, or something else). You can take an egcg supplement that will give you 100mg/cap, or you can drink a few cups of tea a day. I'd rather drink the tea, and brew two pots which I drink throughout the course of the day. If I were going to take (yet another) pill, it would be for the reservatrol, coQ10 or something else I can't get in dosage I'd like from my diet.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:04 am      Reply with quote
flfl wrote:
firefox, is it better to take green tea or egcg or both? thanks.

Epigallocatecin gallate is the main antioxidant in green tea extract so you do not need to supplement both. I take green tea as it contains other active phytonutrients which may work synergistically with EGCG.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:28 am      Reply with quote
So I know that the body produces hyaluronic acid, so would taking a supplement result in the body producing less of it by itself?

Or is it more recommended for 40+ people?

I'm 21 - is there anything I should be taking? Currently, I'm taking a Multi Maxx

a greens+ supplement

and a CLA with a EGCG.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |