Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Let's Make a List / Name That Fantastic Active
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Colostrum is interesting to clinical nutritionists, less so to derm. scientists. It is a very rich and concentrated source of nutrients, growth factors, immunoglobins, antibodies, vitamins, etc. Very important to newborn mammals in many ways. The value to aging mammallian skin is far less certain.

On the other hand if you are a cytokine scientist, you find a lot to ponder. Rich in interleukins,TNF, chemokines, IGF, TGF- alpha( beta 1 and beta 2) FGF, EGF, factor,PDGF. This pattern is inflammatory, immune stimulating rather than calming, which is good for an immature immune system that needs to be awakened. Not necessarily good for mature skin, however.

One thing it does do is show (once again) how cytokines are used throughout the life span as critical mediators of all sorts of things. You are going to hear the term more and more.

But if colostrum (human, cow, sheep) is good for skin, how much better a cytokine pattern tuned specifically to healing and regeneration. We can learn from nature, but we don't have to apply the primitive lesson as an active. Much better we might exploit that knowledge to create specific "cytokine formulations". Then they become therapeutics for whatever you are trying to achieve at the cellular level. This is the future.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:06 am      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
You are going to hear the term more and more.

Like we could run away from it with you around? Cool

Lecithin. Dull boring lecithin.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:00 am      Reply with quote
Is there any science linking oral or topical bovine colostrum to skin rejuvenation?

I could not find any.

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:15 am      Reply with quote
Any comments regarding this line?:

http://www.dermaviduals.com/english/welcome/

They are soon arriving to our shores here in the US...their products appear to center around
the concept of corneotherapy..which as I understand it, relates to products designed to protect the integrity of the skin barrier via use of liposomes, etc.

What do we think about corneotherapy or liposomes?

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:18 am      Reply with quote
Before he died, Dr. Kligman, the godfather of Retin A, was preparing his Magnum Opus on the subject of corneotherapy.

Does anyone have access to this?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-2494.2011.00644.x/abstract

BFG
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:22 am      Reply with quote
I could only find references to wound healing and such. But in the Reluma topic there is a list of the growth factors and cytokines present in Reluma and if you compare that list to an analysis of bovine colostrum there are a LOT of similarities.

Dr J.'s remark that colostrum has an inflammatory profile doesn't seem to add up when you see that colostrum has a good track record as an anti-inflammatory in gut ailments, skin ailments and such.

Just not a sexy ingredient, and so natural you can't patent it (like progesterone).
I like it so far. Really really like it. But that's not evidence.

Edit to add this link, showing colostrum is ANTI inflammatory, and used as such

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S095869460600149X
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:55 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Any comments regarding this line?:

Lecithin. Dull boring lecithin.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:47 am      Reply with quote
edited to add: Seems I've had the most success with unsexy products..could mean something.

BFG
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Seems I've had the most success with unsexy products..could mean something.

Probably more correct than you realize. CosmePsuedoicals get more press and air time. Patented, higher price etc etc. GRAS...you get the idea.

The scientific validation of the efficacy of glycerine as an effective
component of skin care formulations
Glycerol is well known to the cosmetic industry as a humectant that can take up 3 times its weight from a water-saturated atmosphere. It has been used extensively since its discovery in 1799 to improve dry skin conditions, based on empirical observations. Now in an ingenious study, Hora and Verkman have proved conclusively that glycerol is a major determinant of stratum corneum
water retention and has other beneficial effects on stratum corneum biophysical properties [26]. This study used aquaporin-deficient mice, but the results doubtless hold for human skin. In brief, the horny layer of these mice had multiple defects manifested by markedly evaluated TEWL, decreased hydration (dryness) and poor elasticity after being deformed by suction and extremely impaired
barrier repair after tape stripping. After oral intraperitoneal and
topical applications of glycerol, these deficiencies were completely
corrected using quantitative, sophisticated and biophysical methods. Another important finding was that glycerol enhanced the biosynthesis of the physiologic lipids that are responsible for barrier function.

etc.etc.etc.

Ceramides are the latest rage, band aid solution.

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Before he died, Dr. Kligman, the godfather of Retin A, was preparing his Magnum Opus on the subject of corneotherapy.

BFG

It's free;

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-2494.2011.00644.x/full

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

BFG

It's free;

That was quite an interesting article......corneobiology might warrant it's own thread.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:30 am      Reply with quote
THANK YOU Kassy and Barefootgirl, this is VERY interesting article!
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:

BFG

It's free;

That was quite an interesting article......corneobiology might warrant it's own thread.

All great stuff. I love the historical references to cytokines key role in stratum corneum biology dating back to 1998. You could build a whole med school or derm. residency seminar on this.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ,

What is your take on corneobiology and the products advocated by dermaviduals.com?

I realize I am asking you to discuss competing products (theoretically, but actually, not specifically their formulations, rather how they are positioning themselves in the market relative to the science?

Thanks, BFG
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
DrJ,

What is your take on corneobiology and the products advocated by dermaviduals.com?

I realize I am asking you to discuss competing products (theoretically, but actually, not specifically their formulations, rather how they are positioning themselves in the market relative to the science?

Thanks, BFG

I just looked at their anti-aging cream. Bunkum. N-2-Isobutyl-2,6,8-decatrienamide. From plants. They pretend it works at the neuromuscular junction. It's an argirilene me-too. Which is a Botox me-too. problem is Botox is injected. Tell me how this cream active gets into the muscle (there are no neuromuscular junctions in the skin, only beneath it). The answer is - it doesn't. The other answer is that if it did it would cause droopy eyelids, since that's the place on the face with the thinnest skin and the most sensitive NM receptors. Total bunkum.

Having pointed this out, we can conclude that they use science words to fool you into thinking they are scientific. They are not. This has nothing to do with real corneobiology. It's a marketing ploy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:
DrJ,

Thanks, BFG

I just looked at their anti-aging cream. Bunkum. N-2-Isobutyl-2,6,8-decatrienamide. From plants. They pretend it works at the neuromuscular junction. It's an argirilene me-too. Which is a Botox me-too. problem is Botox is injected. Tell me how this cream active gets into the muscle (there are no neuromuscular junctions in the skin, only beneath it). The answer is - it doesn't. The other answer is that if it did it would cause droopy eyelids, since that's the place on the face with the thinnest skin and the most sensitive NM receptors. Total bunkum.

Having pointed this out, we can conclude that they use science words to fool you into thinking they are scientific. They are not. This has nothing to do with real corneobiology. It's a marketing ploy.

Dr, J take a look at the Name your Worst Ingredient thread at the new Lancome rose prodcut I posted about. Would you say it falls into the same marketing ploy category?

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=45575&start=50
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
DrJ wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:
DrJ,

Thanks, BFG

Dr, J take a look at the Name your Worst Ingredient thread at the new Lancome rose prodcut I posted about. Would you say it falls into the same marketing ploy category?

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=45575&start=50

I tried to read it, but couldn't stop laughing. It's mythology, not science. That is not how discovery happens in science, I assure you. What does "native cells" mean - every cell in a plant is native, you dolts. They must think the buying public is incredibly stupid.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:

I tried to read it, but couldn't stop laughing. It's mythology, not science. That is not how discovery happens in science, I assure you. What does "native cells" mean - every cell in a plant is native, you dolts. They must think the buying public is incredibly stupid.

Worse still, maybe they actually believe it's true! Shock Laughing
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
DrJ wrote:

Worse still, maybe they actually believe it's true! Shock Laughing

Nah!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
I tried to read it, but couldn't stop laughing. It's mythology, not science.

I hear you on that one.

rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Dr J, are there any other ingredients (other than the retinoid acid and cytokines that you talked about in your article) that improve elastin?
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:26 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Dr J, are there any other ingredients (other than the retinoid acid and cytokines that you talked about in your article) that improve elastin?

Lots of claims. A few years a go there was Ethocyn, an anti-androgen but it seems to have faded. Then there was dill extract (lysyl oxidase or LOX). The list goes on. Thay all seem to fade into obscurity after a while.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:29 am      Reply with quote
DrJ wrote:
Lots of claims. A few years a go there was Ethocyn, an anti-androgen but it seems to have faded. Then there was dill extract (lysyl oxidase or LOX). The list goes on. Thay all seem to fade into obscurity after a while.

Ok. Thank you. Yes, been there and done that - tried both of those and I could see why they would fade away - they didn't do anything!
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:48 am      Reply with quote
I saw (and linked here) one study that attributed progesterone to improvement in elasticity.

BFG
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I saw (and linked here) one study that attributed progesterone to improvement in elasticity.

BFG

Progesterone makes sense if you are physiologically low and need topping up from the outside in (or inside out). But it is more "permissive" in the sense that if low you need help, but adding beyond physiologic levels will not give you a pharmacologic effect (on matrix production).

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |