Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How to correct the over processing of highlights
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
I got a full head highlights last Friday, and I think a few strands got over processed since it has the light reddish nearly orange color I don't like. My natural hair is black with some natural highlights already. (I didn't know this till the stylists kept asking me when I colored or highlighted my hair last, and I told them it was over 10 years ago, so this should be my natural hair color, but they kept thinking I just did something to my hair. They said my roots are darker than the bottom part.) Anyhow there are these few strands that I just want to correct because they're too light and make too much contrast with my black hair. I thought I read somewhere on EDS that you could try washing off hair color that you don't like with dishwashing liquid, so I tried that last Saturday, but a friend who is a hairdresser told me after I started doing it that it was not a good idea. So I washed it off. I did not see any difference on the strands I applied the dishwashing liquid. So should I go to a store and buy a Nice N Easy hair color in dark brown and cover up whichever strands I feel are too light? The color my stylist used was Goldwell. I'm not sure if that info is important. Any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance, ladies!
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
You can try using protein. I've heard good things about Aphogee's 2 step treatment.

http://www.amazon.com/Aphogee-Two-step-Treatment-Protein-Damaged/dp/B0009R33U8
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
If the colourist over-processed and therefore lightened your hair, the dishwashing liquid trick wont work as that is to REMOVE hair colour. If your hair colour is too light then the colour has been removed - so the dishwash liquid thing cannot possibly work - you need to add colour back to the strands that are too light.

Why not just phone the colourist at the salon and tell her the highlights are too light for your liking and she can re-colour the strands? That would be a whole lot easier than messing around with drugstore colours and possibly making things worse.

If you lived near me lol (I'm in Australia) I could easily fix your problem and I'm not a colourist, but it's probably a little tedious for me to explain here as the products available in Australia will probably vary greatly compared to the product availability where you are.

Here in Australia it is no problem to phone up a hair salon and say you're not quite happy with the result - because they know that the lighting in their salon is different to in your home so the results you saw in the salon may not have been true. Wink

Good luck Smile x
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Glamcat,

Oh yes, I do wish I lived in Australia. My sister was lucky to have lived in Tasmania for a year, and her son went to college in Australia. I have yet to visit your county but will go one day!

Anyhow the reason I did not yet call the colorist is because I'm not sure she'd be happy to fix my hair for me. I don't know if there're programs in Australia like Groupon, but here in the US, I'm on email list for at least 5 different programs. So last Friday I got an offer on KGBdeals.com for $39 for a haircut, shampoo, partial highlights or single process color. Upon reading the fine prints, the deal was for shoulder length hair. I called the salon and spoke with the owner to see how much more it would be for my hair length which is mid back. She said $20 more for highlights. Then she asked if I already bought the voucher. When I told her not yet, she told me not to buy the voucher, but to come straight to her salon and she would give me a better deal than what I'd have paid with the voucher. So I went to her salon directly, which was an hour away from me and in the busy part of Beverly Hills. When she looked at my hair, she told me it would cost me $80 for haircut and highlights. I told her that would be more than the $59 I'd have spent on the voucher + $20 she told me on the phone. Then she dropped the price to $70. I insisted that was still higher than $59, so she told me $60. The whole time she was doing my hair, she complained I got a lot of hair, and she had to use a lot of products. When I gave her $60 + $10 tips, she still said it was too little. Anyhow, I feel that if I called her back and asked her to touch up on the few strands, she would most likely not be too happy to do it. I also don't like going to that part of town, so I was hoping to avoid the aggrevation of bad traffic, and a possible argument with the lady. LOL Sorry for the long story, and thanks for listening.

In the US, we have Sally Beauty Supply. Perhaps using colors from this place would be better quality than drugstore colors? What process do you recommend if I were to do at home?
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
You can try using protein. I've heard good things about Aphogee's 2 step treatment.

VeronicaM, I'm confused. My hair is not damaged. I need to add some dark color back to the lightened strands. How would the protein treatment help?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:
Hi Glamcat,

Oh yes, I do wish I lived in Australia. My sister was lucky to have lived in Tasmania for a year, and her son went to college in Australia. I have yet to visit your county but will go one day!

Anyhow the reason I did not yet call the colorist is because I'm not sure she'd be happy to fix my hair for me. I don't know if there're programs in Australia like Groupon, but here in the US, I'm on email list for at least 5 different programs. So last Friday I got an offer on KGBdeals.com for $39 for a haircut, shampoo, partial highlights or single process color. Upon reading the fine prints, the deal was for shoulder length hair. I called the salon and spoke with the owner to see how much more it would be for my hair length which is mid back. She said $20 more for highlights. Then she asked if I already bought the voucher. When I told her not yet, she told me not to buy the voucher, but to come straight to her salon and she would give me a better deal than what I'd have paid with the voucher. So I went to her salon directly, which was an hour away from me and in the busy part of Beverly Hills. When she looked at my hair, she told me it would cost me $80 for haircut and highlights. I told her that would be more than the $59 I'd have spent on the voucher + $20 she told me on the phone. Then she dropped the price to $70. I insisted that was still higher than $59, so she told me $60. The whole time she was doing my hair, she complained I got a lot of hair, and she had to use a lot of products. When I gave her $60 + $10 tips, she still said it was too little. Anyhow, I feel that if I called her back and asked her to touch up on the few strands, she would most likely not be too happy to do it. I also don't like going to that part of town, so I was hoping to avoid the aggrevation of bad traffic, and a possible argument with the lady. LOL Sorry for the long story, and thanks for listening.

In the US, we have Sally Beauty Supply. Perhaps using colors from this place would be better quality than drugstore colors? What process do you recommend if I were to do at home?

Is the woman who did your hair the owner of the salon? If not I would call and insist on speaking directly to the owner and calmly explaining the situation.
My reason it is difficult to correct what you described yourself, unless you want to use semi permanent (no activator) color, which you can find at Sally's.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

Is the woman who did your hair the owner of the salon? If not I would call and insist on speaking directly to the owner and calmly explaining the situation.
My reason it is difficult to correct what you described yourself, unless you want to use semi permanent (no activator) color, which you can find at Sally's.

Hi Darkmoon,

Yes, the owner herself did my hair. She was nice, but I'm sure she'll complain again if I called her. If her salon is not in that crazy part of town, I would not hesitate as much to go there and have her fix it for me.

Ok, so sounds like Sally's would have what I need. I guess I can stop by there, and ask for help. Is it pretty easy to use this semi perm color? I have never colored my hair myself before. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, Darkmoon.
Thank you!
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:
VeronicaM wrote:

VeronicaM, I'm confused. My hair is not damaged. I need to add some dark color back to the lightened strands. How would the protein treatment help?

Sorry, Natalyn.

I initially thought that the coloring process had weakened your hair. That's what I thought you meant.

After rereading your post, I now see that you meant something else.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
No problem, VM. Very Happy
thirtyish
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:06 am      Reply with quote
If Natalyn or anyone else who can help sees this I would love to know if there is a good self-help solution. I too have just a few highlights I would like to fix (basically just color them same as color of the un-highlighted hair). I don't want to wait until Tues or later to have hairdresser fix. It seems simple enough but I know it may not be so looking for advice. Thanks!
woodywoodside
5% products discount

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:54 am      Reply with quote
Hello ladies i am a vidal Sassoon trained stylist of 32 years. I do lots of color correction work. If you would like to pm me i will try and help you out.
I will say one thing like it or not you paid a very small price the products a lone would work out around $25.00 it doesn't leave much profit after electric and water. I don't like to slag anyone off but the salons that do the groupons and such are normally the ones that cannot sustain a clientele. In other words no one goes back.
Personally i don't do them and never would nor would i work in a salon that did. So just be aware you get what you pay for.
But if you would like some advice i will try and help.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |